Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
It's not like Baker can't be good. He's shown that he can. The ability is there he just has to work through the problems he's having now. He has the ability and coaching to do it.

Bingo. He’s just not good right now, that doesn’t mean he can’t be good.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
One big issue I see with Sando's article is that he has Lamar in tier 2 but his description of tier 3 is exactly what Lamar is.

Sando doesn’t have him anywhere. People in the league are surveyed and place him where they think he belongs. Sando just puts it in an article.

Legend
Legend

Game four is in the books. The Browns are 3-1.

Game FOUR.

What is all this ranking business? Game Four.

Why not rank them after game ONE when Aaron Rodgers was the worst?

Damn let the season play out.

What happened after game 8 last year? Baker was top three the rest of the year.

So now Murray and Herbert are the MVP's? Wait that award is handed out after the season is OVER.

Other than having a bad game. Baker is our quarterback. He is the leader of the Cleveland Browns. The players love the guy. The coaches love the guy.

After all the pure garbage we have had at quarterback people are questioning this guy? Do the Browns go to the playoffs last year without Baker?

Take a deep breath. We face the Chargers this week.

Baker is starting. He will start all season unless he gets hurt. Oh wait, does Baker get hurt?

How about we see what happens this year? Far as I can tell the Browns have one of the best teams in football.
We can win a Super Bowl. That could happen.

And if it does Baker will be our quarterback.

Legend
Legend
Honesty, Consistency, and Completeness Paramount in Discussing Baker Mayfield
It's perfectly fine to have a discussion about Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield, as long as it's intellectually honest.

SAM PENIX

The current discourse surrounding Baker Mayfield is filled with dishonesty, inconsistency, and reductionism.

The Cleveland Browns may be 3-1, but they are winning in spite of quarterback Baker Mayfield, not because of him. He's played quite poorly overall over the past three weeks, and while the Browns won all three games, this is the same situation the team was in for the first chunk of the 2020 campaign. Only this time, certain excuses don't apply to Mayfield.

He's no longer adjusting to a brand-new offensive system coming off the COVID-19 offseason. And he is attempting to follow up a brilliant stretch to close off 2020, where, after Week 6, he was as good as any other passer in the NFL, and was truly elite from Week 13 on.

He looked fantastic against the Kansas City Chiefs, but his performance has plummeted since then, and while the stats may not look terrible, the film shows a player who looks uncomfortable, inconsistent, and perhaps most importantly, injured.

An ill-advised throw against the Houston Texans led to an interception and Mayfield suffered a shoulder injury while attempting to make the tackle. It was his left (non-throwing) shoulder, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect his throwing ability.

As much as Kevin Stefanski, Mayfield, or "sources" want to suggest otherwise, the chances of Mayfield actually experiencing no pain, discomfort, or changes to his mechanics due to his shoulder injury are slim to none. The mere presence of the brace should be enough to disprove this talking point, but it's clear when watching the offense play that Stefanski is unable to call his full array of schemes. Rollouts, a staple of Mayfield's excellent play in 2020, have not disappeared from the playbook entirely, but they have been called noticeably less frequently since the injury.

If Stefanski is changing his offense, and Mayfield is struggling to throw the ball accurately, then maybe his shoulder is actually an issue. It's not an excuse; his pocket presence is poor right now, as are his lower body mechanics, and he isn't reading the field well. But it is one reason for this rut. One of many.

Here is a non-comprehensive list of some of the things affecting Mayfield right now:

Shoulder injury

Footwork

Pocket presence

Improper reads and unwillingness to take the easy throw

Lack of trust in Donovan Peoples-Jones and Anthony Schwartz

Continual implementation of Odell Beckham Jr.

Absence of Jarvis Landry

Starting left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. playing on a bum ankle

Backup LT Chris Hubbard injured and inactive

Third and fourth-string LTs (Blake Hance and James Hudson) providing rough play

Wyatt Teller regressing to the mean

Jack Conklin reportedly playing hurt and is a shell of his typical All-Pro self

Uncharacteristic and seemingly random mistakes from the entire offense in key situations (4th down, for example)

These are not excuses. Mayfield's poor play is unacceptable, and is not the kind of performance that a player seeking $45 million-plus annually can afford to put up. It also doesn't mean he's a bust, that he shouldn't be extended, that he can't bounce back, or that he was never good.

Everything was lined up for Mayfield to play extremely well this season, and that's why it's so disappointing to see him struggle so badly; he had one of his worst outings as a pro against the Minnesota Vikings, missing throw after throw and costing Beckham a massive game.

Speaking of Beckham, the assertion that he is somehow responsible for Mayfield's poor play is asinine. There is a difference between correlation and causation, and Beckham does not have some mystical aura surrounding him that causes Mayfield to suddenly forget how to play quarterback when OBJ is on the field. All he does is get open at an extremely high rate. It's up to Mayfield to get him the ball.

Mayfield has not been inaccurate only when throwing to Beckham. He's missing everyone right now, and seems to be too eager to scramble, when he is far from a scrambling quarterback. He also does not trust his offensive line at the moment, as he is bailing from pockets and rolling to his right rather than stepping up and avoiding pressure from the pocket.

It was not so long ago that Mayfield was playing better football than he ever had in his life. That player did not just disappear, and he didn't just all of a sudden become bad for no apparent reason. It's fair to question whether he is a consistent enough passer to warrant a massive contract, but acting like he isn't capable of making just about every throw at a high level is just ignoring the truth.

One can be dissatisfied and concerned with Mayfield, while acknowledging there are plenty of reasons for his current situation and while having confidence he can and will overcome them. The first step is to get him healthy, and if that requires shutting him down for a game or two, so be it. The offense around the QB position is good enough to win with Case Keenum, and the defense has simply dominated the past two weeks.

Next, Mayfield needs to become comfortable in the pocket once again. And maybe that won't happen until his bookends are both healthy and playing like the great players they are.

He needs to fix is footwork and mechanics so he'll stop missing high, which is a phase he goes through every now and then. There isn't any reason to think that won't go away, either. It always has before.

Finally, Mayfield needs to read the field better. He's not seeing the open receiver, especially downfield, which is almost always Beckham. He isn't forcing the ball to Beckham or focusing on him too much, as many would assert; if that were the case, Mayfield's numbers would look significantly better, because despite garnering a great deal of attention, Beckham is still getting open as well as he ever has.

Let's be honest about what Mayfield has been over the past three games, and also about the player he has proven he can be. Let's be consistent about applying a standard to Mayfield, regardless of how well he actually has to play in order to win. And let's not reduce a complex problem with many different valuables down to an easy cop-out answer that isn't representative of what's actually happening.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-mav...cy-completeness

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's certainly a very honest and spot on assessment.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
J/C

All quarterbacks have crap games. All quarterbacks miss throws. And as one of his biggest fans, he flat out stunk Sunday. One game isn't going to change my stance on Baker.

As far as taking other quarterbacks over Baker, we should take just about 90% of the quarterbacks in the league based on Sunday's performance. Is he the worst under pressure? I don't think too many saw the Browns pressure Fields if they answer yes.

... if we're basing this off one game.

Regardless, the Browns still won. Which for some isn't good enough. We used to lose ugly and I'm happy to win ugly.

I'm not happy with Baker's performance. I'm sure he's not, OBJ is not, Coach Stefanski is not. However, he's our guy, and he's going to be our guy for a long long time. And I still firmly believe he will reach that elite status everyone covets. He's got what it takes.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's the Joe Woods story all over again. Fickle fans who change depending on which way the wind is blowing at the time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
eh, not really fickle... it's just fans that want players to play to their abilities every time it matters. If people didn't know Baker can and SHOULD be so much better, it would be a bit different.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

It is fair game when the sample size can say something.

But damn we are four games into the season.

If it becomes a trend and they are losing because he stinks. Then go ahead a crucify him.

It is not like we have the answer on the bench.

Baker has proven himself in the NFL. Has he been perfect? Hardly. Has he been consistent? Sometimes.

But I have no problem with him as our quarterback. He is a winner. He works his butt off. He is a team player. He plays hurt. He is a leader.

I support the guy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We'll see how the wind blows when he does play better. My point is that as soon as someone has a bad game or two the critics pile on. As soon as they have a good few games everything is peaches and cream. That's the very definition of fickle.

adjective

changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties, interests, or affection.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
being critical when he plays bad and not being critical when things are going well is not being fickle. It's literally just calling it as it is.

If he's not playing to his abilities and expectations, then he has earned the criticism.
Fickle would be when nothing else changes, you flip back and forth as to whether or not he's good enough.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
From reading the board it seems to me that more people have come to the conclusion he's not good enough after the last two games.

Heck, I've been critical of his performance. I think we are talking about two different groups of people here.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I agree Bone and Pitt. The critics always show up at the 1st sign of trouble.

I have never seen a QB yet though that didn't get criticized when they didn't perform up to snuff.

Even the GOAT has been written off a few times, so I kind of take it all with a grain of salt.

And let's face it the people on here know something, not nearly as much as they think BTW, but the folks that really know are handling this and if I was a betting man I would place a sizable bet on Baker bouncing back in a big way.

I feel this will be a big big motivator for him, and he loves to prove his critics wrong. Look out Bolts is all I will say... thumbsup

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:
Has he been consistent? Sometimes.

brownie Well done!

Browns fans are born with it...
O
Legend
Legend
O
I've counted a grand total of 2 people (maybe 3) on here that have said anything beyond constructive criticism. Saying his performance over the past 2 weeks isn't going to cut it, and going into why said performance was bad isn't anywhere near over the top (IMO). It's earned criticism.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Baker has shown he can improve, and he's shown he can do so within the season. In fact, I think he's starting to develop a bit of a tendency to start the season slow/rough and iron things out over the first quarter of the season (or so). It happened in the Freddie year, and it happened like that last year.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's constructive criticism. naughtydevil

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Lol! If you're talking about my second post, and that's your definition of 'constructive criticism', then I I'm beginning to see the issue in these types of threads. rofl

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I've actually criticized his performance myself. That's not the issue.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
well, then make the damn play, Bake.

If your footwork is fine, then why are your passes sailing high all season? Literally from Game 1, he's been sailing them high.

Ehh, it doesn't matter... just get it done.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

We get plenty of that from Throw, don't ya think..... rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

He has the right approach. Don't make excuses and come out next game looking to bounce back. That's all you can really ask for.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
well, then make the damn play, Bake.

If your footwork is fine, then why are your passes sailing high all season? Literally from Game 1, he's been sailing them high.

Ehh, it doesn't matter... just get it done.

I wonder if he's including weight distribution in his definition of "footwork"...because some of those throws I saw were when he was still distributing his weight on the back foot. You could tell the ball was going to sail as soon as he let it go.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
R-E-L-A-X

Legend
Legend

Last edited by Pdawg; 10/06/21 08:27 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Remember when Peyton Manning had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Edgerrin James and he was terrible because they were all too good?

Not sure what you are getting at with this one?

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Baker will feel more comfortable in the Pocket, if Chris Hubbard gets back to health and helps out the OL around him.
Browns should hope for the long health and playing availability of Chris Hubbard.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I guess we live in a social media driven world now - so despite me preferring he just got on and did it, I guess I understand that this is a whole different generation. Having said that - I do love his attitude and grit.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I think you may be on to something here it's a lot for one person, and as you mentioned perhaps it's simply to much???

One thing we know that Baker has always been really good at is spreading the ball around. Aside from maybe his rookie year where IIRC he worked the center of the field a lot, he's throwing to all areas and hitting quite a few different receivers.

The ability to do that and have that many people who can catch the ball has lead to a passing offense (until recently) that is controlled, efficient and difficult to predict.

But I'm starting to wonder if it might be prevent our passing game from being dominant? We don't have an established QB+WR or QB+TE pairing that we can reasonably and rightly predict will net a 100+ yrd pass catching day.

I'm not complaining. What we have now is massively better than what we've had before.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Last year. Njoku, Hooper, Landry Higgins DPJ.
5 ain't broken.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

The Baker-Baker Paradox.

I was listening to the radio in the car the other day and I had to laugh ... they were talking about memory and how the brain works, and they have this thing called 'The Baker, baker paradox". Obviously we have a bit of a paradox with our Baker since at the moment we aren't sure which version will show up on Sunday ... And that's probably where the correlation ends but this was 2 days after Baker's woes against the Vikings so it made me chuckle and I figured I would share.

If anyone is interested:
https://medium.com/the-book-mechanic/the...ry-dab8c09ad9e4

The baker-Baker paradox is road-worn psychology test, where a group of test subjects is divided into two teams. There are many versions of this test, but they all work the same way. One group of test subjects is given the picture of a person’s face and told the person’s last name is Baker. The second group of test subjects is shown the same person’s face. This time, the group is told the person in the photo is a baker.
A few days later the two groups of test subjects are re-tested. The group given the photo-vocation combination had a much higher recall rate, remembering the person was a baker, than the abysmal results from the group who had to remember the person’s name was Baker.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/07/21 08:38 AM.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Not a big fan of the social media and Instagram posts. Reeks of insecurity to me.

Just play better.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
For that to come out now - reeks of excuses.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

That's pretty good.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 10/08/21 08:07 AM.

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
What you think and what I think don't jive, Mr. Hater. Baker is top 5 in my book, and definitely no less than top ten. Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Baker, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, Matt Stafford, Josh Allen, Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow is the order I grade your top list in, I wouldn't even bother with the last 4, they are all above average scrubs.

Lol

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Baker Continue to Grow ?

Link Copied to Clipboard