Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Post Game Remarks from Bolt Game

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters following Sunday’s game against the Chargers at SoFi Stadium.

Here’s a transcript, as provided by the Chargers’ media-relations department:

Opening Statement:

“[Browns CB] Greedy [Williams] had a right shoulder injury. We will MRI that tomorrow. [Browns CB] Denzel Ward, neck. We will MRI that tomorrow. [Browns T] Jack Conklin, knee. We will MRI that tomorrow. [Browns S] M.J. Stewart has a right hamstring and we will MRI that, as well. Disappointed. I give credit to the Chargers. They played a good game and we didn’t come through there in a couple spots. I’m sure there’s about a thousand reasons why, but we have to make sure we make those corrections from this game and then move on. We have an undefeated team coming to our place next week.”

On why he didn’t call a timeout towards the end of the first half:

“That’s a good question. I’ll have to look at it again. Off the top of my head, I don’t have a good answer for you. Obviously, we need to come through. I need to come through for our team.”

On the second-to-last offensive series:

“We obviously wanted to score. Ran it on first down. Second down, we tried to get a double move on their corner. We really wanted the clock to run there, as well. That was incomplete. With where we were with our tackle position, quite honestly, just didn’t feel like I wanted to give a chance for something bad to happen there again. All of these things I would tell you, I need to do a better job. I share in that loss just like everybody else does. We’re going to win these games together and we’re going to lose these games together. I certainly need to do a better job.”

On if he was planning on getting the ball back after running on third-and-10:

“Third-and-10 back there, I don’t know what the percentages are, but obviously we’re trying to hold them. It’s hard to say when they scored so many points, but they were converting fourth downs. We just had to make a play there, and we didn’t. Listen, our defense gave up seven points last week and six points the week before. Like I said, we will win as a team and lose as a team. We will share in this.”

On how Chargers Head Coach Brandon Staley has ‘changed the Chargers’ trajectory’:

“I don’t know. I don’t know Coach Staley well. We didn’t play them last year, so I can’t give you a great answer. They’re doing a nice job, their entire coaching staff and their players. They’re obviously a good team.”

On if he reached a point where he ‘needed to try something different’:

“Yeah. We’re trying to score every time we touch it. We’re trying to stop them. We tried various coverages. As you know, I hate to even mention injuries because they are a part of the game. We were into our depth in a couple areas. I trust the guys that were in there, but we didn’t come through, so I’d tell you we have to look at all of it. We can’t just say it’s one thing or the other. I’m sure it’s a multitude of things.”

On if he would have rather ran more clock down before scoring in the fourth quarter:

“I think it’s hard. Points are a premium. There are opportunities, certainly late in games, when you want to use the clock. I don’t know if the seven minutes was on my mind. I wanted to make sure we scored there. I thought our defense did a great job coming back and forcing them into the end zone so that we could touch the ball one more time. I would just tell you guys that there are certainly things that I’m really disappointed that I did in this game. I got to come through for our team.”

On ‘two busted coverages’ that led to long Chargers touchdowns:

“I will tell you that we will talk about it. It is obviously a miscommunication and we had too many of those. They had big plays. They got behind us on some broken plays, they had some DPIs, so we have to do a better job. I have to look at it and obviously make sure we make those corrections.”

On the overall difficulty of the game:

“I think you have to coach the game that is in front of you. That’s how the game played out today. They are a good football team. I give credit to Coach Staley and that staff and those players. They beat us.”

On QB Justin Herbert:

“He’s a good player. He got the ball out of his hands and he made plays with his feet. His play was outstanding on the fourth down. We need to try to find a way to get off the field.”

On why they didn’t try to go ‘down the field earlier’ on the final offensive possession:

“What I would tell you is the first goal there is to try to get to midfield, to try to put yourself in a position to throw a Hail Mary. I also just wanted to be smart with our protection to make sure that we weren’t holding the ball. That’s a good front and we were in our depth there at tackle.”

On Browns QB Baker Mayfield’s performance:

“I have to look at it. Obviously, I thought he was getting the ball out of his hands, making it really good in terms of completions. We wanted to make sure we could get a bunch of completions. To give you a better assessment, I’d have to look at it.”

On if he ‘got a good look’ at the fourth-quarter, fourth-down defensive pass interference call on Browns CB A.J. Green:

“I didn’t get a good look at it, no.”

On what he thought of the fourth-quarter, fourth-down defensive pass interference call on Browns CB A.J. Green:

“They called it.”

On if the defenders were instructed to let RB Austin Ekeler score on the Chargers’ final possession:

“They did a great job pushing.”

On if he felt today’s game was ‘well-coached in terms of analytics’:

“The defensive coach in me would say that I hope not. We have to find ways to get stops, and we have been doing that as a defense. We didn’t do that today. Whatever the reasons are, we will talk about them. We just have to be ready for whatever game it is. For instance, last week I don’t think we saw the game unfolding like that. As coaches, we need to react to the game that is being played.”

On Browns RB Nick Chubb:

“Nick is powerful. He made some big runs for us today. He has breakaway speed, as you saw. Great teammate.”

On if the Chargers ‘adjusting’ to using personnel sub-packages with three tight ends:

“They adjusted. They are a multiple personnel, multiple front defense. I think within that 13 [one running back, three tight ends] personnel that you’re talking about, I think you saw a bunch of different fronts and coverages.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Quote:

On what he thought of the fourth-quarter, fourth-down defensive pass interference call on Browns CB A.J. Green:

“They called it.”

I'm cleaning up my coffee.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Accept it wasn't funny that play likely cost us the game.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Next Man Up: AVP calling plays. Stefanski is NOT improving.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Accept it wasn't funny that play likely cost us the game.
No it didn't. It definitely played a part, but I'd point to the 2 free TDs our defense gave the Chargers before any of those calls.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I still thought it was funny just maybe a bit early to laugh at.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I just read where Baker expects to be fined by the league for his comments about the Refs. Why doesn't the league look at video of the game and fine the refs for their incompetence!!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I still thought it was funny just maybe a bit early to laugh at.
Yeah... that's fair. I'm usually a 'water-off-a-ducks-back' kinda guy, but I'm just now 'coming down' from that game yesterday.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here is my critique.

Points were not at a “Premium” in this game. Situational awareness was due. The objective was to wind up with the ball and enough time to put together a drive to win, and use the clock to seal the victory. Essentially, the Browns were behind even though they were ahead by 1.

The game called for a shootout mentality as defense was not on display.

Giving the ball back to the Chargers with time on the clock was a losing strategy. I would have gone for it on 4th down instead of punting. Even if the Chargers scored, there would have been more time and timeouts available.

I spent the day before watching Texas/OU and Bama/A&M. Last team with the ball and no time wins.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Eckler play out of bounds was smart. A lot like Chubb against Houston last year.

Running him up the middle the next play was not smart.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

The presser was a bit tough to watch as Stefanski took the heat from the local press.

The article below is from SI.

Kevin Stefanski's Curious Late Game Decisions Loom Large In Loss to ChargersTactical decisions late in loss to Los Angeles Chargers loom large for Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski.

PETE SMITH UPDATED:OCT 11, 2021(ORIGINAL:OCT 10, 2021)
link

For all of the back and forth, plays both made and missed as well as some horrific officiating, the game between the Cleveland Browns and Los Angeles Chargers boiled down to a pair of decisions by head coach Kevin Stefanski.

With a 42-41 lead, the Browns passed on 2nd-and-10, unable to complete a pass to Rashard Higgins, setting up 3rd-and-10. Rather than trusting his quarterback Baker Mayfield to try and make a play to extend the drive, Stefanski opted for a running play in the form of a draw to Kareem Hunt, which fell short and forced them to punt.

Seemingly, Stefanski should have either run it twice to try to get the first down or passed it twice. Passing first and then running was deflating.

The Browns defense, especially the secondary was down multiple players and their punter, Jamie Gillan, was underwhelming on his previous two punts. Gillan's third attempt was just as mediocre as the first two which puts Chargers at midfield.

After the Chargers were able to score a touchdown, failing on the two-point conversation, the Browns got the ball with 1:31 down 47-42, out of timeouts.

The Browns would use 40 seconds on their next three plays combined on three short passes that netted a grand total of 12 yards. Unfortunately, the second one to Hunt was tackled short of the line to gain, setting up 3rd-and-1. Getting a third underneath pass that was tackled in bounds was way too taxing on the clock given the situation.

In fact, only an injury to linebacker Drue Tranquill is the only thing that kept more clock from running.The Browns were able to convert one more pass to David Njoku, getting them close to midfield with 29 seconds left.

At that point, the Browns proceeded to throw four times in a row with the last amounting to a Hail Mary. The Browns were on their third and fourth string offensive tackles in Blake Hance at left tackle and James Hudson at right tackle, which may have had an impact in the Browns decision making. Stefansi cited them in his post game press conference as a reason he was concerned. Nevertheless, those key decisions by Stefanski let a lot to be desired and did not put the Browns in the best position to win the game.

They fall 47-42 against a formidable Chargers team, dropping their record to 3-2. The team suffered a number of injuries throughout the game, which is probably the more pressing concern.

None of that changes the fact that Stefanski, who has often been quite good in these situations dating back to last year, was certainly not up to his own standards and has been having some issues in key situations, particularly on fourth down the last few weeks.

The Browns couldn't get off the field on fourth down in a number of situations defensively. They suffered a key drop on 4th-and-2 in the first half. The team was not short on opportunities to win this game, but the bitter taste that comes out of this one will be those last two offensive drives.

READ MORE: Browns Imposing Defense Faces Difficult Challenge Against ChargersBY PETE SMITH

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
From 10/13/21

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters prior to Wednesday’s practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Here’s a transcript, as provided by the Browns’ media-relations department:

Opening statement:

“Big challenge this week. Undefeated Cardinals coming into our building. They are obviously very good as their record indicates. They are scoring a bunch of points on offense. They are not giving up many points on defense. It is a really, really well-coached team. (Cardinals Head) Coach (Kliff) Kingsbury and (defensive coordinator) Coach (Vance) Joseph, third year in the systems on offense and the defense. (Cardinals assistant head coach/special teams coordinator) Coach (Jeff) Rodgers their special teams coordinator has been there for 4 years. The continuity on those three sides of the ball shows up in how these guys are playing,. A ton of great players across the board. We really have to have a great week of preparation to get ready to face this team.”

On the game status for Browns players not practicing today:

“I am not ruling anyone out.”

On if CB Denzel Ward and T Jedrick Wills Jr. have a good chance of playing Sunday:

“I think they have a pretty good chance to practice today.”

On WR Jarvis Landry’s status:

“I think he is going to do some work today and we will see where it goes.”

***Note: Landry will do some running today but will not be designated to return to participate in practice today.***

On if Wills is over the worst of his ankle injury:

“With any injury, you have to make sure you are doing your work in the training room, and some of it is luck quite honestly with him. He has gotten rolled up there a couple of times. Hopefully, he is feeling strong and feeling good. We will be excited if we can get him back out there.”

On if there is a concern DE Jadeveon Clowney’s knee could be an issue each week, given Clowney was unable to play due to the knee following pregame warmups:

“I hope not. Obviously, he has an injury history there, but just with any of our guys, when they work out pregame and they are feeling something, you have to go with what they are feeling, and he did not feel like he could go. I think he is feeling better, but certainly with everybody, that is why every player goes out there on the field pregame to make sure they are feeling OK.”

On if the Browns are being cautious with RBs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt not practicing today:

“I do not think we are being cautious with any of our guys. I just think we are trying to be smart about it.”

On if CB Greg Newsome II will practice today:

“He is going to practice today.”

On if the Browns have designated Landry to return today:

“I do not know if it has happened yet, but we are going to have him out there today.”

***Note: Landry will do some running today but will not be designated to return to participate in practice today.***

On Cardinals DE JJ Watt’s performance despite not having a sack this season:

“A very disruptive player. Huge, as you guys know. We faced him last season. Every run and every pass, he is slippery. He is long. He has that swim move. He can bat the ball. He may not have a sack, but he is very, very disruptive on game day.”

On potentially incorporating a package with Chubb and Hunt together on the field:

“It is something we talk about. I think there are definitely different considerations with those two guys. You want to keep them fresh. If we do it, we do not want to do it just for the sake of doing it. We want to have a good reason to do it.”

On if teams are doing a better job of defending the Browns’ deep balls off of play action:

“We have had a couple of opportunities. Have not hit them yet, but I think what you are seeing is schematically you are facing different defenses week in and week out, and there are certain things defenses may adjust to try to take away that game and then there are counter punches by us, whether it be run or pass, that can hopefully find ways to be explosive in other areas.”

On the Browns not losing back-to-back games since becoming head coach:

“I can only think about this week and coming off of a loss last week. I will just tell you, our team and our players are pouring every effort they have into this game and what is in front of us or what is behind us does not matter.”

On WR Anthony Schwartz returning kickoffs as wanting to get Schwartz opportunities or if ‘there is anything deeper than that’:

“Nothing deeper than that. We think he is a fast guy with the ball in his hands. That is situation where if you get a crease in those returns, he can hit it. We feel really comfortable with (RB) Demetric Felton back there. We have (RB) D’Ernest Johnson that can do that job and have Anthony Schwartz. We kind of have a few guys who we really trust back there.”

On if he unsatisfied with the production from the WRs despite the offensive having a run-first identity:

“I do not really think of it that specifically that way. I think we have room to go as an offense for sure. We want to be explosive run and pass. I do not think we say we have to do it this way and it has to come through the run. We have never talked about that. That is not what we believe. We believe in being explosive any which way we can. Now opportunities will arise off of the run game, off run actions and off of the keeper game, and when they do, we have to make sure that we make it count.”

On if WR Odell Beckham, Jr. needed more than three targets last week, despite the Browns producing 42 points and more than 530 offensive yards:

“Again, I kind of look at each game and what do we have to do to win and what do we need to do to go score a bunch of points. As I have mentioned before, he is a dynamic football player. He is very front of mind when we are game planning and when we are calling plays. Sometimes the defense dictates if the ball goes elsewhere, and we are comfortable with that because we have good players elsewhere.”

On if the Browns offense is up to speed on what it needs to do when facing a must-score situation late in a game, given play action may not necessarily be an option:

“I think the hardest thing to do in sports is probably in those two-minute drives when they know you are throwing it and you know you are throwing it. From a protection standpoint, pass pro is difficult and navigating the pocket and finding open guys. We just have to when given those opportunities come through. That is where I know I have already talked about it and we have discussed internally where we have to give our guys a chance to go make some plays.”

On how P Jamie Gillan can improve:

“He just has to hit it better. Again, this is nothing that Jamie has not been told by (special teams coordinator) Coach (Mike) Priefer and myself. When he gets those opportunities, we have to hit it well and hit it outside the numbers if we are directionally punting. That is like any of us, myself, any player or any coach, we have to all improve.”

On the decision to have S John Johnson III call the plays instead of a LB on Sunday:

“It was something we had really been talking about back since the spring. With (LB) Anthony Walker (Jr.) being injured and with (LB) Malcolm Smith not feeling 100 percent, we just felt like it was the right move to have John, who is out there for every rep and we know he can do it and we know he had done it, so just felt like last week was the time to have him do it.”

On if Johnson calling the defensive plays on the field contributed to communication issues related to coverage:

“It did not.”

On what happened on the Hail Mary that went untouched:

“We had one of our eligibles get tripped up and fell – (TE) David Njoku – so we only had two guys down there because of that.”

On if Njoku would have made the play if not tripped up:

“Who knows?”

On how disturbed or surprised he was by the situation with former Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden:

“I think unfortunate situation. I think it is a teachable moment for all of us, but it is a really unfortunate situation.”

On if the Gruden situation makes him reflect more on how he coaches and goes about his business as it relates to building a strong culture in the building:

“I do not think it has made me more reflective, but as you know, what we believe in here is a very inclusive workplace.”

On Cardinals QB Kyle Murray:

“He is great, and he is playing great. He can move around, buy time and throw it deep. He can run. When he does tuck it and run, he is an elite runner. He is fast. He is quick. He has a great understanding of what they are doing offensively. He is playing at an extremely high level.”

On how LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is playing with increased defensive snaps:

“I thought there were some good moments and some moments like all of our young players, he is trying to clean up a few things, but he is battling.”

On if Owusu-Koramoah’s speed is what the Browns like in the DIME package:

“Yeah, his speed and length. Those are the things we were intrigued by throughout the draft process.”

On hearing DT Malik McDowell explain his story to the team:

“I have obviously spent a bunch of tie with Malik before we signed him so I did know the story, but to just hear him explain everything to his teammates and the support that he had throughout the whole thing, just how he talked about his mom and how she helped him throughout all of it, I think was really impactful.”

On if Gillan’s muffed punt in Kansas City may still be in Gillan’s head:

“No. No.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ski Daily Presser.

Link Copied to Clipboard