Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
And the no call when Baker got hit helmet to helmet, showed me there were not going to be calls made fairly in this game.

Baker openly complaining about the officiating after the Chargers game may not have helped his or the team's cause.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I see other teams blitz and baker freezes. We blitz other teams and they easily distribute the ball to relieve the pressure. It’s so annoying

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
At this point I would take 2019 Baker. At least he pressured the defense.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
We have no play action
We have no slants
We have no basic come backs.
We have no intermediate or deep passes.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
G Bush is always a good time!

Last edited by tastybrownies; 10/17/21 10:00 PM.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
And our screen game was gone today most likely due to having no OTs

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
First, unless something happens to reverse the trend I am modifying my prediction from 10-7 min/13-4 max down to 8-9 min and 10-7 max.

Second, the defense needs help. Whether is is the scheme or the wrong personnel at the wrong time I do not know. The results speak for themselves.

Third, time to sit Baker. He is injured. That it is not his throwing arm is irrelevant. Imo, he is altering his delivery due to his left side hurting. That can damage his right arm not to mention causing bad throws.

Fourth, the play calling has been bad on offense.

Fifth, the injuries dictate a response by the FO and the coaching staff. They better get a sense of urgency.

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Where is this guy?

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1080901159471276038

Bird #1894483 10/17/21 10:11 PM
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
We can't wait until the end of the season to demote Joe Woods. We must do it now. If he refuses then he must be fired outright.

Winning programs always have a sense of urgency. They don't wait around and accept mediocrity. See what OSU did with their D coordinator? I get that it's college and this is the pros but the behavior and short leash needs to be there at some point.

I've seen Greg Williams get playoff caliber defense from scrubs. Certainly worse players than we supposedly have on defense right now. It's the coaching and it must be addressed sooner rather than later. What are we waiting for? Where is Joe Woods? Why is he still in Berea? Sack this guy if he won't take a demotion. Guy has ZERO clue how to actually run a defensive unit. ZERO CLUE!

-Charles Bukowski
R
Legend
Legend
R
Ask Stefanski.

1 member likes this: Milk Man
D
Legend
Legend
D
Take a deep breath and read the last line of your sig … smile

R
Legend
Legend
R
Joe Woods is on Stefanski.

Who is helping Woods on game day and during the week?

L
Legend
Legend
L
The book has been written on Joe Woods, we've given him talent and time and it looks no better than any point he's been here.. Its time to move on. Stefanski isn't the same guy we hired, he's regressed and his game management is some of the worst we've seen. A HC and his decision making shouldn't cost the team and he does several times a week. Compounding that is putting more pressure on a defense that can't stop anything or anyone. Stefanski needs to relinquish playcalling and concentrate on the other parts. This game was a perfect example, AZ is 8th against the pass and 28th against the run and we open the game with 7 out of first 8 plays passes. It just makes everything that much harder. There was no short passing game, there were no outlets for Baker, even when there was Baker was erratic, recievers constantly having to adjust to poor thrown balls.(which don't show up in the stats) His slow eyes get him in trouble and his mechanics are the worst they've been. This team needs a Bye week more than any other team. We are back in the cellar with everyone else in the division looking good. Hell even Ben is slinging it tonight and that pittsburgh defense is still stout. Given the injuries and the difficulty of our schedule, its evident we aren't as good as the preseason hype, but probably not as bad as it appears the last few weeks. They haven't had a chance to regroup. Team needs bodies back and a couple easier teams to get momentum rolling. This season has been a worst case scenario from upcoming contract standpoints too. Worst thing they could do is give Baker a big contract and he never turns the corner and we basically have a Blake Bortles situation.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Where is this guy?

superconfused That's my quarterback.

-Charles Bukowski
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by tastybrownies

Where is this guy?

superconfused That's my quarterback.

its becoming more clear that Stefanski was the wrong hire for Baker. Baker needs Air Raid not WCO. Hopefully they can meet in the middle before its too late. Last year it seems KS let Baker be more aggressive than this year. You would think it would be the opposite given the experience in the offense now. He's going to turn the ball over sure, but he's going to make some wow throws too and put up some points

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Joe Woods is on Stefanski.

Who is helping Woods on game day and during the week?

Nobody. Stefanski working on how to use 3 TEs, running Felton in circles for a 2 yard pass to Hooper in the flat. Zero chance of YAC because Hooper looks like he's running through a kiddie pool full of hummus.

4 members like this: DevilDawg2847, Westy15, tastybrownies
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by keithfromxenia
Hudson is a rookie. He is a project they want to develop, perhaps into our next starting right tackle. He is overmatched at this point. I am certain they did it intend for him to see this much action.
The thing is - IF you KNOW he needs help then why NOT help him? This is where I think Stefanski misses the point. You have to adapt your play calling to the skill set of the players you have available to you. This is why he has to give up the play calling. He just doesn't understand this very basic principle.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I see other teams blitz and baker freezes. We blitz other teams and they easily distribute the ball to relieve the pressure. It’s so annoying

That's a coaching/play calling issue vs a qb issue

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our defense needs a lot of help.
Our offense needs a triage and a bye week or two.

After Denver, we will get a mini bye week. It couldn't come at a better time.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The reason we are horrible on 4th down is because Baker holds the ball too long and really doesn't understand how to counter pressure.

Look at all the 4th down sacks he took and I bet you will see receivers open, just like OBJ was today.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Fourth down

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
You cannot win when you are negative 3 in the turnover battle, all of the penalties (though some were b.s.) and cannot get off the field as a defense on 3rd downs. Especially 3rd and long. After the Chargers game, they are still blowing coverage assignments or playing way too soft. Jmho. I’m a Baker fan, but this isn’t Oklahoma where he could scramble around and outrun people. Granted, our starting tackles were out..but when the defense is baring down on you, throw it away or tuck it and take the sack as a last resort. That is a lot better than giving the opposing team the football at your end of the field

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Fourth down

I thought this was 3rd down and almost got clobbered .5 sec after this and didn't get to his 3rd read. I think he scrabled just short of a first down.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Jordan Zirm is a nobody with a blue checkmark. His career peaked as board operator for wknr and then briefly had a part in the short lived Thomahawk Show podcast.

I'd question the still shot. Seems opportunistic.

*This is not a Baker Mayfield apologist comment*

R
Legend
Legend
R
My issue with that, cherry picked or not, is you just know Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Murray, etc. make the play. That's the long and short of it for me. Has Baker made one impactful play yet this year? I can't think of one.

This isn't Charlie Frye or Kizer bad, but this current version of Baker is basically Derek Anderson all over again. You knew Anderson could make some plays and some throws but in your heart you knew he wasn't going to be able to get it done. That's basically what Baker has become. Baker seems to be regressing in an alarming way.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I can't take that particular play (snap shot) seriously. And what the top QBs would do in that situation is impossible to say.

What I do know, is at this moment, Baker, in this particular offense, is fantastically average. He's been neutered. The Browns are a a dink and dunk offense that's disgustingly conservative and awkwardly throw a 20 yard pass for an incomplete pass every now and again.

Zero rhythm.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know that the analytics is wrong, but it is proving wrong for this team. Other teams might be converting at a good number, but we aren't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I don't know that the analytics is wrong, but it is proving wrong for this team. Other teams might be converting at a good number, but we aren't.

OMG...who is this new guy, Ballpeen?...

Analytics is wrong for the Cleveland Browns?

Last edited by mac; 10/18/21 07:20 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: tastybrownies
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is a good point. Analytics may be different for different rosters. Us going for it on 4th down with Baker/OBJ having no chemistry (and no OTs/Chubb) probably isn’t wise in the 1st quarter

Legend
Legend
Penalties and Injuries

Also, while I'm not considered a bandwagon type fan, honestly, we appear to have regressed..

Not thrilled with the play of this team.....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree. We seem different than last year. It sucks.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

The sad thing is that you and I know it's going to get worse before it gets better.

I just had a dream that Stefanski and Mayfield would go into the film room by themselves and there would be tape playing Bakers rookie year and so on.

"Remember this guy?" Stefanski says. "Let's see what we can do to get him back. What kind of plays do you want to run?"

Unfortunately this will never happen, time will be wasted, egos in the way and in the end Stefanski will be fired. Either that or Baker won't be signed, which would be a mistake. As soon as he gets to another team I can guarantee he'd be ripping it up and down the field again.

-Charles Bukowski
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So is that a like or dislike on my post?
I do generally wonder why you're here! Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the only opinion you have is that Baker sucks. I can't figure out your motivation because I'm pretty confident Baker's not going anywhere anytime soon! You and leadtheway wait for every negative play by Baker and can't wait to post.

Last edited by Moxdawg; 10/18/21 09:35 AM.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
And the no call when Baker got hit helmet to helmet, showed me there were not going to be calls made fairly in this game.

Baker openly complaining about the officiating after the Chargers game may not have helped his or the team's cause.
considering how bad the officials were in the game does it matter! Clearly there's an agenda with the official this year!

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Baker has shown the ability to work through whatever he needs to work through early in the season and attack the second half. I'm worried, but nowhere near as worried as the D. Good grief we are terrible. What good is talent when you can't maintain a count of opposing players? This secondary is failing on pop warner football concepts. We stop them on the first two downs, are faced with 3rd and 10 and they pick up an easy 20-30 yards. We have talented man-press corners playing 10 yards off. We have our talented and smart safeties letting receivers free behind them. How do you lose track of Hopkins?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Coaching fail.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
mac #1894551 10/18/21 09:28 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

OMG...who is this new guy, Ballpeen?...

Analytics is wrong for the Cleveland Browns?

Maybe I am not clear or you are taking it out of context.

It's not that the analytics are wrong, but for this O, in those situations, at this time, we aren't getting it done. I am still in favor of putting points on the board in the way of field goals.

I think overall, the odds are the odds and will even out, but no doubt you have to go with gut feeling in some situations, or more on point taking in to account other factors..

As an example, the analytics don't take in to account you being down both starting offensive tackles. I don't know if analytics gets so deep in to the actual players on the field across the league. Somehow I have to feel that missing good starting players is going to impact the odds in a negative manner.

Being in favor of analytics doesn't mean you don't add in a bit of good old common sense. That has never been my position, nor as far as I know the position of anyone else.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 10/18/21 09:31 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
How many sacks do we have to take on 4th down for the analytics to have us take the points? Based on our performance so far, the vast majority of the time we go for it, we take a sack.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: jfanent
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober
How many sacks do we have to take on 4th down for the analytics to have us take the points? Based on our performance so far, the vast majority of the time we go for it, we take a sack.

That comes down to the coach making a educated decision based on the players on the field. Something tells me the odds are back in statistical favor if we had our starting tackles in the game.

And remember, it is a fairly small sample at this point. The odds aren't factored on a short sample. The odds are probably accumulated over several years worth of plays. Take the odds at playing blackjack. If you play the smart hand every time the odds are you will win slightly more than not. That doesn't mean on any given hand or night that play or plays are going to end up winning plays.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 14 Cardinals 37 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard