Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
Any time you make something up to float a false narrative that you present as somehow sinister I think that qualifies.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
IMO.

You can not look at Case and say he equals Baker. He does not.

KS, Berry, AVP and the rest of the coaches and the team know the value Baker brings.

Baker is not going anywhere. A deal will get done. How much? I don't know.

Berry controls the roster and manages the cap.

Unless there is a clear up grade at the position that is doable. Baker remains in Cleveland.

Wilson is an upgrade. So is Aaron Rodgers. Are they real possibilities? In the end I doubt it.

The Browns do not have to sign him this coming year.

With the Browns exercising the fifth-year option on Mayfield’s contract, he now has two years remaining on his rookie deal. The initial contract was due to see Mayfield hit free agency in 2022. Now, however, he will not be a free agent until at least 2023.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Bro, your starting to sound like joKe … no way we win with Case … his arm is beyond weak, they’ll put 11 in the box … *L* …

Our window is now and Case is not the answer … no way, no how … if Bake can’t comeback in the next few weeks were screwed as far as the playoffs go … the window will be open for at least the next couple years after this one but not with Case as our QB … that’s crazy Peen …

We will more than likely resign Bake as long as Bake doesn’t look for elite $$ … if Bake does then maybe we do let him walk, unlike some of the posters on this board I’m pretty sure the FO knows Bake’s not an elite QB … he’s above average but has his negatives and is not elite …

I’ll be shocked if he’s gone, if he does go it’s because he overvalues himself …

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Any time you make something up to float a false narrative that you present as somehow sinister I think that qualifies.

No, it doesn't......and that's not what he did.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Whatever you say.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by DiamDawg
Bro, your starting to sound like joKe … no way we win with Case … his arm is beyond weak, they’ll put 11 in the box … *L* …

Our window is now and Case is not the answer … no way, no how … if Bake can’t comeback in the next few weeks were screwed as far as the playoffs go … the window will be open for at least the next couple years after this one but not with Case as our QB … that’s crazy Peen …

We will more than likely resign Bake as long as Bake doesn’t look for elite $$ … if Bake does then maybe we do let him walk, unlike some of the posters on this board I’m pretty sure the FO knows Bake’s not an elite QB … he’s above average but has his negatives and is not elite …

I’ll be shocked if he’s gone, if he does go it’s because he overvalues himself …

I agree with whole post. And the 11 in the box comment made me laugh because I don't think Case can even throw over the box!! I'm arguing with someone right now in YouTube that says he's been a fan since the 50s want to draft Baker's replacement and see more from Case! How can you actually desire to see more from Case? Thursday night was all I wanna see because if you can't have a threat of the pass teams will stop our run and that'll be L

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Legend
Legend
The problem with the bake vs Case is that this offense isn’t based around the QB. Thursday night threw a huge wrench into this topic now.

It’s one of those things where I dunno if another QB who’s even better than baker will make a difference.

The sole issue with bake right now is the fact that his mechanics are still unrefined. Case doesn’t have an arm near bakers, but his mechanics were clearly better than bakers right now. Look at Case’s footwork compared to Bakers. This is my issue right now.

I get that people want Stefanski to unleash baker, but you can’t just take the collar off when dude can’t even stay consistent with his mechanics. The high and wide throws from
Bake once again showed up this season even before the injury. Baker is highly accurate, so that means it’s a straight up discipline problem.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
For argument sake! You said high and wide throws even this year?! He was amazing in the Chiefs game and got hurt in the 2nd game throwing to a Rookie that stopped his route! Where did you see this inconsistency this year before hurt? And I see you mostly support Baker from your posts so I'm not bashing

Last edited by Moxdawg; 10/23/21 01:16 PM.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Legend
Legend
Chicago and minny game. He was out here with sloppy mechanics.

Dudes just has to stay consistent with his footwork. I’m not mad at him getting his shoulder injured. INT happen and he’s trying to tackle a guy.

I’m simply talking about his inconsistency with mechanics.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We're talking pre-injury! After injury we have no idea what was going on. You said even before injury he was wild. He was great at the end of last season and amazing in Chiefs game so we really don't know how things could have been this year. We could be 6-1
I say someone break Mayfield down since his injury comparing his footwork to last year and saying that since injury his footwork changed to compensate for his injury so he can get power on Ball

Last edited by Moxdawg; 10/23/21 01:34 PM.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Dan Orlovsky already did on one of his segments on ESPN. Bakers footwork changed dramatically after the injury. Baker hasn't been able to follow through the way he did before the injury. The injury has made a big difference.

1 member likes this: Moxdawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Dan Orlovsky already did on one of his segments on ESPN. Bakers footwork changed dramatically after the injury. Baker hasn't been able to follow through the way he did before the injury. The injury has made a big difference.
that's who I was referring to

D
Legend
Legend
D
As high as my hopes for the season were, and as limited as I believe the offense will be with Keenum at QB, I think it makes the most sense to put Mayfield - at least for now - on the IR for 3 weeks, and maybe to shut him down for the year and have the labrum surgery now. The bone fracture is reportedly non-displaced at this time but could easily worsen with another direct hit. Bones need 4-6 weeks to heal and a displaced fracture could result in bone fragments or chips that might really screw up the joint. It sucks, but that fracture has to be allowed to heal.

2 members like this: Hamfist, 3rd_and_20
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

No, it doesn't......and that's not what he did.

Don't worry about that guy.

My only point is if baker is questionable, and he will be until he has surgery to fix the problem, if Keenum plays well enough to win, it makes the decision easier to IR Baker.

No way am I saying Keenum is better than Baker, but I am saying that Stefanski may prefer the type of QB that Keenum brings over the style Baker seems to prefer to play.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: jfanent, archbolddawg
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by DiamDawg
Please explain to me the 2nd half of last year bro … Ski didn’t seem to be a detriment to Bake for the entire 2nd half of the season .. Bake actually thrived …

U very well could be right that Bake excels in the hurry up - no huddle scenarios but to say Ski is trying to turn him into something he’s not … the 2nd half of last year under Ski, Bake was as good as he’s ever been …

Please explain cause for the life of me I can’t figure it out …

Why? without putting too much time into it.

1. The OL was intact and playing together for over 8 games and Baker could excel in any O put out there under those conditions.
2. Baker regardless of the scheme was in one for the first time that had the tools at hand.
3. Baker had for the first time a functional running attack that had a team working together like a well oiled machine. Its pretty hard to depend on play action when your running game SUCKS and in the past our running game sucked. The only time it did not previously was with Mangini and his last 4 games of the first year that Holmgren took over. Mangini and DaBoll put together some amazing running attack those 4 games. Outside of that I could not remember any consistent running attack that was successful so that play action pass was a threat. btw same thing with Lamar and the Ravens...if they did not have a great running attack Lamar would not have play action and a clean pocket that he can just sit in and throw.

jmho hope that helps a bit.

This year without his OTs, without his RBs, without his best WR (Landry) Baker just hasn't looked the same and of course the injury didn't help but once he got use to the pain and discomfort of a brace he looked much better.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Legend
Legend
E
I guess I can put this here:

If we shut down Baker and put him through his surgery now rather than later so that he would be completely recovered and possibly ready for the playoffs.

Should that be the case do we go out and get Cam Newton signed and quick? I think he would make a much better and effective backup to go out and win games vs our division rivals than Case Keenum if you ask me.

Just thinking Out Loud

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
I haven't studied Cam Newton, but I saw several of his games in the last 2 years, and I don't think he can throw the football anymore. Plus he was quoted recently as saying his "aura" would prevent him from being a good backup QB. My translation of that is he is not interested in being anybody's backup. If Baker is out for an extended period I'd try to pry Brian Hoyer loose from New England, if only to back up Keenum now, and possibly to replace Keenum next year as a considerably cheaper backup to Mayfield.

Last edited by Dave; 10/24/21 10:07 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Just my two cents but I think Cam has struggled to throw the ball with any accuracy or consistency for at least 2 or 3 years. And that's me being kind. He was a freak athlete, never a good QB. Case, as limited as he might be, will win u more games than Cam could.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Baker has always been more tough than talented. It's got him this far.
But the truth is , he may have peaked as a QB. He isnt that much different than Andy Dalton
Talent wise. When Dalton had good talent around him, he succeeded. When he didnt,
He struggled.
The Browns running game is the idenity of the offense. The QB is there to play error free
And move the chains. Not to carry the offense on.his arm.
Nobody wants to hear it but Mayfield isnt the best QB in the North.
He is a solid very tough QB who fits KS scheme.

Legend
Legend
Tab I have to disagree about Cam.

Case knows this offense. KS knows Case. They have worked well together in the past.
Case was 13-3 and the Vikings went to the NFC championship game under Stefanski

Cam does not know our offense. In addition, he has not been the same since his shoulder gave out.

He is a running quarterback and that is about it. He can not throw very well.

Case can execute our offense. His issue is throwing and plus routes. He is unable to drive the ball.

But with our running attack and the way we use the TE group. He would give us our best chance.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by Swish
Thursday night threw a huge wrench into this topic now.

I don't believe it really did, this is the traditional "Elevate the Backup" that we are known for. One QB managed a game with a high offensive output and a loss, the other managed a game with a much lower output and a win. The first opponent was better than the second. If you are drafting a person to run your offense on the field do you choose the guy who put a lot of points on the board in a loss to Alabama or the guy that managed a pedestrian win over Purdue?

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Sorry Tab but the only way I would go after Newton was if I was aligning the team for a better position in the draft.

I think Ski can get it done with a sound running game Case ,and a defense that performs up to capability. The games will look like what we saw against Denver, which I could easily live with.

I hope Ski develops more of a killer instinct when we have a lead, I think that would be helpful but at no time did I feel we weren't in control against Denver and that was a nice easy feeling.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Case has a LOOONG break between this game and next, and adequate time to prepare (instead of a couple days... probably just one day of practice). Give him at least 1 more game before we start figuring out his replacement. With what we pay him, I think it makes sense to give him adequate time to try to conjure whatever allowed him to go on his run in Minny.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Legend
Legend
I agree as usual.

The issue with Case is when the situation dictates a quick score in limited time.

He is not the guy I want.

If we play to our strength then it may not come up.

People have their opinion on Baker and frankly I am tired of the conversation.

He is our quarterback until he is not.

I have confidence in Baker to win big games and win them with his arm if needed.

I am still hopeful about this year.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Case has long time to prepare, so do all the defenses we'll face. Ugh. I will admit Mayfield is MORE than adequate when healthy AND he's a warrior. Yet, his intangibles get in the way...highly competitive- he's made some cute commercials. He's won a playoff game, but let's not forget he's human and makes his share of bonehead plays. IE, how'd he get hurt, would Brady have tried to tackle a good sized defensive back or let someone else do it. Johnny Menzel found out how he'd "wreck" the league, got smacked on sidelines and was UNAVAILABLE. Baker is damaged goods now, possible nerve damage, yada, yada....JMHO, he's a small QB with great arm...he's NOT Drew Brees, he's not Murray, he's not Burrow, I'd take both those two over Baker, one way more athletics, one bigger....we've got a line and coach...can win some games, but are we really good enough to go SB with Case. Do we really want 30 million a year tied up on a small hurt QB....when a journeyman can win games in our system.....could Charlie Fry win with our line and runners. I think Baker is overachiever and inspires folks with attitude....that works for awhile, then big good beats little good. Go Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Case went 11-3 with the Vikings in 2017 with Ski as his QB coach. It is far from time to panic. He does not have Bakers arm, BUT he has way more experience in the offense, and at this point in both of their careers I believe Case is better at reading defenses.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Case went 11-3 with the Vikings in 2017 with Ski as his QB coach. It is far from time to panic. He does not have Bakers arm, BUT he has way more experience in the offense, and at this point in both of their careers I believe Case is better at reading defenses.
Maybe Case should do some tricep and deltoid work!!!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Maybe Case should do some tricep and deltoid work!!!

...and hips, core, glutes, legs, and then learn how to use all of it together.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
He is who he is. No amount of work in the gym is going to change his ball velocity at this point. Some guys can just sling it. Others can’t. Same physical stature. Same build. It just on some level is an innate trait.
Boxers are similar. Some guys are ‘heavy handed’. They just hit harder than other guys that look similar in shorts.

Case is what he is. He’s not heavy handed.

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Also taking into consideration it was pretty windy thursday and he hadn't played in a game for a minute. I'd venture to say he'll get better the more he gets out there. He had the long ball in Minn, but def in this offense the short to intermediate is the bread and butter and he can do that.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Wills just blasted the media for taking his quote out of context when he said he didn't see a dropoff with Case's play.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
We do not have a dynamic talent at the pass-catching positions...we just don't.
wut?
They have Njoku, and Higgins. Nevertheless, they don't appear to have a quick strike offense.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
When there are multiple injuries at a number of positions, and our QB is banged up as well, then our ability to score quickly is diminished. We still have dynamic talent at pass-catching positions.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
This is much ado about nothing. Mayfield is the current and future starter. Keenum is the self-acknowledged back up. If Keenum wins a bunch this year, he may try to cash in on free agency the way he did after the Minny run. If he does, then there will be a new backup. Mayfield is the starter and projected franchise QB. Stefanski knows that he and Mayfield will find the right mix, just a matter of time.

5 members like this: PitDAWG, Ballpeen, Homewood Dog
E
Legend
Legend
E
Please note Cam or another is the relevant thought. This was just thinking out loud if not Cam then somebody else for this conversation. I know we just won with Case but that was Case being actually the BEST he could possibly be and a running game that was outstanding and yet we just squeaked by in this win. I don't think we can come close to playoff bound with Case at the helm - His accuracy goes down on passes over 10 yards and the velocity of his throws are very slow and if a team plays Zone on us they will jump the passes easily. The other negative effect is that since Case can only get short routes off effectively the Defense will crowd the box and not be afraid of playaction as there is no deep threat. Our run game will go down and passes will be jumped for possible turnovers and our WRs will get killed on those short routes as there will be no SPACE in the routes.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think the FO is all that interested in a rental situation, not to mention I don't think there are any out there any better than what we have in Keenum.

We can speculate all we want but it is a fact Keenum has stepped in before and won. I am not sure what else we could want in a back-up. If we didn't feel he could fill the void, why did we keep him in the first place?

Stefanski has a comfort level with Keenum and Keenum has a comfort level with the O. That is about as good as it gets when you start talking about subbing for your injured starter.

The reality is no matter who we bring in(being real) we are going to miss a beat. If not, maybe we don't need to be thinking about paying Baker $40 mil a year?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
If a few games go by and Case is still throwing lollipops (i.e. the Denver game is his ceiling), AND we will be Baker-less going into season crunch-time and postseason (we have some work to do to get into POs), then I can see hunting for a QB. IF we won't get Baker back, then we'll at least need a backup for Case.

The thing is, who are we going to pull off the FA scrap heap that will be better? Keenum has his time in Minny on his resume, knows the system already and is one of the highest-paid backup QBs (we must value his spot on the roster to pay him that much).

If we're going to upgrade, it'll have to be via trade. Bridgewater? Someone mentioned Hoyer... is Hoyer an upgrade over Keenum?

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
If we're going to upgrade, it'll have to be via trade. Bridgewater? Someone mentioned Hoyer... is Hoyer an upgrade over Keenum?

there is no one available FA or trade that is better than Keenum(aside from someone destroying our cap). Our cart is married to the ox.

I actually like Keenum for the offense and think he will do fine holding down the fort until Baker returns.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M
That's where I am as well. Case has some glaring deficiencies, and if we get 2 TD's behind in any game I think we'll be toast because we simply can't stretch the field with him. But he's the best option out there, knows the system, isn't (shouldn't) panic or make dumb mistakes. But in reality the fate of this season is probably resting on [1] The OL staying healthy [2] Joe Woods defense hitting it's stride and not requiring the offense to score 40+ to win games against good teams.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I do not disagree with the limitations of Case.

However, Case was signed to a three year $18 m contract.

That is big money for a backup. But he is what backups are supposed to be.

Veteran guys who can step in a win some games. He can do that.

Again he knows the system and KS is confident he can execute the plan.

There is nobody that we can go get that would be better given all circumstances.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Mayfield Part IV A New Hope

Link Copied to Clipboard