Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-prop-gun-woman-death-movie-rust-sheriff

One woman, the producer director, is dead and another director is injured after a fake gun went off in the filming of a western called Rust, involving Alec Baldwin. In New Mexico south of Santa Fe.

Ironically, one plot point of the movie was a boy on the run with his Grandfather after an accidental killing. frown

The industry is calling for a ban of "prop guns" on sets after this.
They are remembering an accident in 1993 in which Brandon Lee died while filming the movie "crow"

Baldwin was questioned by police and seen upset outside after the incident.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/crew-members-hospitalized-prop-gun-misfires-set-alec/story?id=80715740
According to the 2nd link, some camera photographers had left the set 1 day earlier after safety concerns, including 2 misfires in 10 minutes. And safety concerns including covid safety and gun safety.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 10/23/21 09:57 AM.
Legend
Legend
Crazy story. Prayers to all involved

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
It wasn't a fake gun.

Alec Baldwin shot the people. Accident or not, you are responsible for what comes out of the gun.

A tragic event no doubt.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
J
Legend
Legend
J
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
It wasn't a fake gun.

Alec Baldwin shot the people. Accident or not, you are responsible for what comes out of the gun.

What a ridiculous comment. In reading through the board this evening, you are most certainly on roll.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Peen may have been a little to blunt for your liking but what he said is spot on … it was a tragedy and that’s a shame as someone is no longer with us because of Baldwin’s negligence weather u like it or not … the gun was in his hands therefore it’s his responsibility for anything that happens with it …

Peen’s 100% correct and if u knew anything about gun safety you’d know it too … once the clip is in weather its blanks or live ammo u NEVER EVER EVER point it at someone unless your about to discharge it … u point it down ALWAYS away from any potential tragedies … first thing u learn in any gun safety class … there’s a reason for that and the victim lost her life because Baldwin ignored it …

This was a preventable tragedy … Baldwin learned a lesson but he gets to live with it, unfortunately the victim doesn’t … Baldwin should be charged with the lowest murder charge there is … involuntary manslaughter maybe … but he probably won’t because of his celebrity status ….

O
Legend
Legend
O
Refs - should move this to political forum because the right is ALWAYS going to go after Alec Baldwin. The guy got handed a gun he was told was safe for his scene, he fired it. Hardly his fault, because I'm sure actors are not expected to check the gun for safety reasons, however morbidly ironic that may be.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/23/21 09:58 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
J
Legend
Legend
J
If this had been Clint Eastwood or John Wayne on a set of an accidental shooting this narrative would have been much different. We see you…..hypocrites can’t hide……

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It wasn't a fake gun.

A tragic event no doubt.

Nothing like rushing to judgement without any facts. Nothing has come out.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
It wasn't a fake gun.

A tragic event no doubt.

Nothing like rushing to judgement without any facts. Nothing has come out.

I am not rushing to anything, and no doubt more will be learned. I stated the facts as we knew then.

Alec Baldwin discharged a gun on set that resulted in death and injury. He is responsible for that. I said it was a tragic event. What did I say that was wrong?

Seems to me that I am not the one rushing to judgement. Go back and reread the posts and you should be able to very easily identify the people rushing to judgement.

Alec pulled the trigger. He is responsible for that action. Alec is the producer of the film. Being producer makes him one of the people responsible since it is his duty to help provide a safe working environment on set. Obviously something happened to make things unsafe.

If you and others don't agree, fine. I disagree. I am not saying he should go to jail for 25 years, but he is culpable in the death and injury of those people.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by JulesDawg
If this had been Clint Eastwood or John Wayne on a set of an accidental shooting this narrative would have been much different. We see you…..hypocrites can’t hide……

Pffft

Had John Wayne or Clint Eastwood been the producer of the movie, you can bet your ass they would, and I would agree they should be held to account.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
First few minutes of a one day gun safety class from many many years ago. Clearly told point so everyone would understand.

" you always consider a gun is loaded unless you yourself have checked." said over and over and over again. And point a gun toward the ground away from you about a 30 degree angle, while carrying it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
There is no such thing as an accidental discharge of a firearm. There is intentional discharge and negligent discharge. If Baldwin was assured that the gun wasn't real and was just a prop, then he could be exonerated. If not, he had every responsibility to check if it was loaded, keep it pointed in a safe direction, be sure of his target and everything beyond, and keep his finger off the trigger until ready to fire.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
J
Legend
Legend
J
The Associated Press, citing court records, reported Friday that Baldwin was given the gun by assistant director Dave Halls, who indicated it was safe to use in the moments before the actor fired it. The assistant director did not know the prop gun was loaded with any live rounds, according to a search warrant filed in a Santa Fe County court. Halls did not respond to The Times’ request for comment.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...-baldwin-prop-gun-shooting-legal-fallout

As a producer, Baldwin could certainly be held partially responsible for whatever negligence occurred, but as an actor being handed a gun, being told it’s safe to use in a scene, I’m sure very few actors are checking out a prop before using.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt. Few check, if any. As I said in my first post, I am sure we all agree a very tragic event for the victims and for Baldwin.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think most guns in movies are real guns. It's probably cheaper to have them over making a prop look real enough or disable a real weapon.. They also want muzzle flash produced by blanks.

I heard that several of the crew left the set because the day before there were several accidental discharges. What that means, or how accurate the report is, I have no clue. I would hope that gets cleared up.

What is clear is there wasn't anybody in charge who knows how to handle weapons and cleared them and the ammo used before the tragic event.

Blanks aren't hard to identify, but if some nut stuck a few live rounds in a blank box and some person just read the box label...who knows??

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Not to trivialize a very sad event, but this sounds like the plot for a Murder She Wrote episode. Someone either swapped out the prop gun with a real one, or else replaced the blanks with live rounds. Whether it was accidental or with malicious intent would be the question.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The fact is someone was responsible for making sure the gun was safe. That person called out "cold gun", which means there is no live ammo in the gun and that it's safe to fire. That person was wrong. That person wasn't Baldwin.

“Cold Gun!” Called Out on Rust Set Before Fatal Shooting, Record Shows

An assistant director gave Alec Baldwin the industry signal for all-clear prior to Halyna Hutchins’s death.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/10/cold-gun-called-out-on-rust-set-before-fatal-shooting

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
For purely political reasons (a chance to attack Alec Baldwin), they won't be hearing any facts on this until Alec is charge with murder by political affiliation.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm just trying to bring the facts to light as they come out. What people do with those facts and how they process them is up to each individual. But the process of how this works on movie sets is clear. There are people especially designated to check and approve that these firearms are safe. That's even a step further than any firearms safety people seem to be calling for they claim was ignored. Something certainly went horribly wrong and it's horrific for the victims, their friends and and family as well as Alec Baldwin.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The fact is someone was responsible for making sure the gun was safe. That person called out "cold gun", which means there is no live ammo in the gun and that it's safe to fire. That person was wrong. That person wasn't Baldwin.

“Cold Gun!” Called Out on Rust Set Before Fatal Shooting, Record Shows

An assistant director gave Alec Baldwin the industry signal for all-clear prior to Halyna Hutchins’s death.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/10/cold-gun-called-out-on-rust-set-before-fatal-shooting

If that's the case, Baldwin should be cleared.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
From what we know at this time I would think so. With him being the producer of the movie he may be sued in a civil lawsuit, but as far as criminal charges it would seem not. I'm sure more information will come out as this unfolds.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
For purely political reasons (a chance to attack Alec Baldwin), they won't be hearing any facts on this until Alec is charge with murder by political affiliation.

Contrary to your assertion, I'm not blaming Baldwin. I don't care about his political affiliation in this instance.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dave
Not to trivialize a very sad event, but this sounds like the plot for a Murder She Wrote episode. Someone either swapped out the prop gun with a real one, or else replaced the blanks with live rounds. Whether it was accidental or with malicious intent would be the question.

I was thinking the same thing only I was thinking about Columbo showing up.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

Come on man...save it for the political forum.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O

Come on man...save it for the political forum.

You are turning this into another political forum.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I'm just trying to bring the facts to light as they come out. What people do with those facts and how they process them is up to each individual. But the process of how this works on movie sets is clear. There are people especially designated to check and approve that these firearms are safe. That's even a step further than any firearms safety people seem to be calling for they claim was ignored. Something certainly went horribly wrong and it's horrific for the victims, their friends and and family as well as Alec Baldwin.

I said as much about the victims and Baldwin. I know that someone is supposed to check the weapons. In this case that person didn't know what they were doing or went about it in a half ass manner. Obviously something went wrong.

Maybe you or someone else knows as I am not staying all that close to this...was only one shot fired or two? Two people were hit. I suppose the bullet could have gone through the first person, either cleanly or bounced off a bone, then in to the other.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
It was a single shot. As I said, I was simply stating what I saw reported and it was confirmed by multiple sources.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm wondering why a live round would even be available from the "movie props inventory", and who loaded the gun?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Valid questions.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It was a single shot. As I said, I was simply stating what I saw reported and it was confirmed by multiple sources.

No doubt you weren't there...or did you load the gun?

LOL....I was just asking if you or anyone had heard any new updates. At this point there are a lot of questions yet to be answered

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I know very little about this.

I would think that handling a gun on set is a little different than anywhere else. Following all gun safety rules doesn't make for very entertaining shots, imo. So when something like this happens, my questions aren't for the person that fired the gun, but rather for the person that handed it to him with a live round inside. How does a live round get anywhere near a set if guns are being handled in this manner?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I remember how y'all treated Dick Cheney over a horrible hunting accident.. the left should shut up about making this "political"...

I've heard a bunch of the rumors so I don't know what's true yet.. but one rumor I heard was that the gun had just 1 live round in in the chamber... if that's the case, then I'm inclined to believe this was a set up.. I don't know if the intent was to kill the person who go shot, or if it was just to record the discharge to make Baldwin look stupid and the killing was an accident... don't know. I also don't have any idea why there would even be live rounds on a movie set.

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F
Why is there even any live ammo on set, period?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
well I read somewhere that there were union problems and they had scabs working the set so knowing what I've seen from some people during union issues, there are some that would stupe to getting a live round in a gun to prove a point about working scabs and they don't care if someone dies

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T

I think this much was out in the reports, I think you were right.

Halnya Hutchins, is the woman who died. And I feel bad to not mention her name before this. And the guy might have been Joel something, but who knows.
Halnya, grew up on a Russian Air force base? She wasn't super old, I mean this never should have happened.
Never pick up a gun and think it's not loaded, ALL Guns are loaded! unless you check yourself. And

It didn't happen on an Eastwood or John Wayne movie, and I don't think they'd be so stupid in general. They weren't known for doing other stupid things.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Moxdawg
well I read somewhere that there were union problems and they had scabs working the set so knowing what I've seen from some people during union issues, there are some that would stupe to getting a live round in a gun to prove a point about working scabs and they don't care if someone dies

The Los Angeles Times and Deadline Hollywood cited several members of the crew and others close to the production as saying six or seven camera operators had walked off the "Rust" set hours before the tragedy.

Both outlets also reported that there had been at least one previous misfire with the prop gun.

"We cited everything from lack of payment for three weeks, taking our hotels away despite asking for them in our deals, lack of Covid safety, and on top of that, poor gun safety! Poor on-set safety period!" one camera crew member wrote on a private Facebook page, according to Deadline.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/al...member-movie-set-authorities-2021-10-22/

P
Legend
Legend
P
You really hate unions don't you?

#gmstrong
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Lack of payments for 3 weeks, and taking their hotels away.

Legend
Legend
This is one of the questions I keep coming back to.

I also saw the report that they called out "Cold Gun" and at least one person thinking that was odd because they usually don't do that because all guns on the set are cold guns, all the time.

Somebody needs to pay a price for this, and I don't just mean in civil court. Somebody should be arrested. I will let the investigation determine who that person is but if there are guns on the set and live ammo on the set, then somebody has to be responsible for them. Just as if a ordinary Joe left his gun lying on the coffee table and a visitor or kid accidently killed somebody with it.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Tragedy on set of movie Rust

Link Copied to Clipboard