Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
First, I realize there was a thread in the "game day vs Broncos titled "injuries" but that thread will gone in the near future. I will add a link to that thread so the info can be referenced if needed. link

I'm going to address injuries that specifically affect Browns players...

Today, according to Pro Football Reference, the Browns have no less than 4 players listed as out, with "calf injuries". That may not seen alarming until you do some research and find out that none of the other teams in our division have even one player listed as being out due to a calf injury. What the hell..!!

To add to the concern, the Browns players that are listed as being limited or out due to calf injuries are Greg Newsome (limited), Kareem Hunt (out/DNP), Mack Wilson (limited/questionable) who still played 1/3 of defensive snaps and 50% of special teams snaps, and Nick Chubb, who was listed as (out/DNP).

It's not just the fact that it's 4 players listed with calf injuries, it's 3 starters and Kareem Hunt.

What is it with the Browns and calf injuries?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That does make it sound like there is a link between physical training and the injuries. But I have no clue.

Joe Thomas #73
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Toe raises might help!

L
Legend
Legend
L
Injuries can’t be predicted or controlled, for the most part. They happen, it’s a tough game, and none of us here should try to play doctor/backseat Physiotherapist/strength and conditioning coach.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Toe raises might help!

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

angel

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
I'm not a guru on exercise,, but I am not sure there is much of a connection when it comes to doing things specifically to deal with injuries you don't know you'll have.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
1st String
1st String
Glad they have a mini bye to heal up there.

April Showers and Easter 2024!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by BADdog
That does make it sound like there is a link between physical training and the injuries. But I have no clue.

IMO, it seems odd that the Browns appear to suffer more calf injuries than most of the teams.

Do the Browns still have that hill at training camp, the one they used to run up and down for conditioning? Its been quite a few years since I attended training camp so I'm not sure if the hill is gone or not...anyone know?

I do know this from my own personal experiences...we didn't have a hill but we did have fire escapes that went 3 floors high. Talk about giving your calf muscles a work out and an excellent conditioning exercise...it sure worked for me. I never had an issue with cramps in my calf muscles or a torn calf muscle.

I'm not about to claim that the stress I put on my calf muscles was anywhere near the level of stress that Chubb and Hunt put on their calf muscles. I'm just throwing out a 'suggestion'...

I'm sure that others, who are being paid by the Browns might have better ideas than mine.

Folks like the Browns 'strength and conditioning' group...

Director of high performance – Shaun Huls
Director of strength and conditioning – Larry Jackson
Director of performance nutrition – Katy Meassick
Strength and conditioning assistant/sports science – Josh Christovich
Strength and conditioning assistant – Monty Gibson
Strength and conditioning assistant – Dale Jones
Strength and conditioning assistant – Evan Marcus

Hopefully someone from the 'Strength and Conditioning Units" will be able to analysis the problem and come up with a better solution to address the rash of 'calf injuries' that is keeping some of our best players off of the field.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Milk Man
This has been my thought as well. You can't just play paddy cake in practice for two months and then all of sudden full contact and full speed and explosion. You have to ramp up which is how preseason usually did it and I feel they should get back to it.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by leadtheway
You can't just play paddy cake
It works for the Irish.

Actually, you can skip preseason and be perfectly fine, and I don't put much stock in what this Dr. Choad says. That PhD means very little to me when he's just using it to snipe Tweets from afar.
You don't acclimate to collisions and contusions by doing more of it. You don't condition yourself for more of it. The ONLY thing you can acclimate to is asking the body for suddenness and going full-tilt repeatedly, which is 50% a function of the central nervous system and the rest is just maintaining flexibility and elasticity and there's just no way these guys aren't maintaining that level of effort. That's what training is. Taking hits isn't going to prevent injury.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: jfanent, PitDAWG
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the NFL needs a year-round training program that keeps players muscles stretched. I've never understood why the NFL doesn't work together as teams year-round to some degree. Especially with ZOOM meetings now where they can be wherever they want and still hold team meetings. Imagine the teams all having the mental part on lock while starting the season in game shape and in late season form with no preseason or very little. We could bump the games to 22 weeks with 20 games and two byes.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
and I don't put much stock in what this Dr. Choad says. That PhD means very little to me when he's just using it to snipe Tweets from afar.
Dr. Allan Sills is the chief medical officer for the NFL. Dr. David Chao is an orthopedic surgeon and team doctor for the San Diego Chargers. This isn't coming from "afar"...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
and I don't put much stock in what this Dr. Choad says. That PhD means very little to me when he's just using it to snipe Tweets from afar.
Dr. Allan Sills is the chief medical officer for the NFL. Dr. David Chao is an orthopedic surgeon and team doctor for the San Diego Chargers. This isn't coming from "afar"...

If he hasn't had access to Baker's imagery and examined him, yes it is.

Browns is the Browns

2 members like this: FATE, PitDAWG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN

If he hasn't had access to Baker's imagery and examined him, yes it is.

Who said anything about Baker? We were talking about calf injuries (unless Baker has that now too) and this tweet was a general statement about injuries in the NFL unless I missed something.

But I'll tell you the NFL will trade muscle and bone injuries (even at excessive rates) for concussions all day and twice on Sunday. It's not about player "safety" it's about limiting lawsuits and the mob in order to keep the doors open.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Tennessee Titans RB Derrick Henry to undergo foot surgery; no timetable for return

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- NFL rushing leader Derrick Henry will have surgery Tuesday morning on his injured right foot, and coach Mike Vrabel said the Tennessee Titans are not putting a timeline on when he will return.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ed-potentially-season-ending-foot-injury

More at the link.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
"All Day" doin work.
You can't stop him: you can only hope to contain him.

Hits the hole like a heat-seeking millipede.
A threat to break it (hip) on any play.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: jfanent, FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
.... a heat-seeking millipede.

What on earth is that?????? lol.....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Legend
Legend
I kept waiting for Terry Tate to come flying in and level the guy.

It never happened. ::sadface::

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: DaveyD
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
I kept waiting for Terry Tate to come flying in and level the guy.

It never happened. ::sadface::

I miss the Office Linebacker!

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Oh crap looks like Adrian can still outrun me banghead

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Injuries...to the Browns...and other team's injuries

Link Copied to Clipboard