Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Cause he sucks? He makes pre game warmups look all smoochie with his 1 handed catches. Put him in a game? Can't catch with 2 hands. I guess that would be a place to start. His $15 million a year salary is easily replaced with 1 million a year by a dude that catches balls DURING the game.

I guess the same can be applied to Landry now?

Both our top receivers apparently suck. Either that’s the case, or the problem is the HC/QB.

I typically give the QB the most criticism because he has the ball in his hands every snap.

But this season? I think it’s fair to say our HC decision making has been worse than bakers, and it’s not close.

We get pass happy, but then the routes our receivers are running are just glorified run plays anyway. Everything is short.

Just seems like we got 3 big time playmakers/personalities in baker/Landry/OBJ, and yet Stefanski seems to have tightened the choke collar on all of them.

Today’s game showed me that baker has plenty of arm strength, so it seems like he’s being specifically told not to take any chances.

I dunno what the expectations are if that’s the case. We have to let Baker cook. Baker spreads the ball around AND takes shots. But if all he’s allowed to do is spread the ball around short, then not only is it easier for defenses to stack the box, but our passing game doesn’t get into any sort of rhythm.

And that’s still on Stefanski/Berry. If they want to be a run first team, then our offensive talent has to reflect that from the QB on down. I thought we’d be more balanced, but honestly I’m not sure what our identity is.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
B
Legend
Legend
B
That was a dud of a game.

The O has no rhythm. The shine is gone, at least for now. The D can't get off the field on 3rd down.

Sorry guys, this season is done IMO. We just don't have it this year. We probably can only lose 1 more game to have any shot and the team is playing like they have another 3-4 losses in store.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: bbrowns32
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I think Kenny Britt dressed as OBJ today for Halloween

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
L
Legend
Legend
L
Stefanski needs to give up playcalling or move on. Baker had no business playing today. He’s still obviously hampered by the injury.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
I’d sit baker rest of season and have him get the surgery now. We won’t be .500 at the end regardless. May as well atleast get healthy and rehabbed

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Legend
Legend
I had a sinking feeling that the Chargers loss was the biggest of the year. It appears like we cant recover

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
My goodness. Mac Jones is better than Baker Mayfield. Drops back, decisive, throws that result in points.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I had a sinking feeling that the Chargers loss was the biggest of the year. It appears like we cant recover

The most consequential thing that happened to this point is Baker attempting to make the tackle on the INT.

R
Legend
Legend
R

We haven't recovered from the Chiefs loss. The Browns put their entire offseason into that game. To dominate the game the way they did and still lose because they don't have a QB who can bring you back was extremely demoralizing. Don't think for a second the players aren't affected by the Browns history and the "here we go again" mentality. I think the Browns are the most mentally fragile franchise in all of sports. It's somewhat in the franchise's DNA at this point.

They blew their wad on the Chielfs game and have never recovered.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

- the Browns are an average football team.

- Whether it’s Baker, Landry, OBJ, Stefanski, someone on defense, etc… someone will find a way to shrink in the biggest moment, particular in big games. Today was Landry’s turn to screw up any chance to win.

- Hooper stinks.

- The book is out on Stefanski. This team cannot stretch the field vertically.

- I cannot remember the last time the Browns actually threw the ball in the end zone while in the red zone. They throw it short and hope the receiver can run it in, run and hope and RB runs it in or get sacked.

- That loss about ends the season and it’s not even November.

- The Browns 2 minute and 4 minute offenses are embarrassing.

- This team is a disaster when trying to play from behind.

- The defense cannot force any turnovers.

- Conklin likely done for the season or out for quite some time.

- Not sure this team and the way they’re playing can win even 1 of the next four games.

- Same old Browns.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
.... the team is playing like they have another 3-4 losses in store.

More like 3 or 4 wins, 'Peen. I am past being disappointed, rather I am disillusioned...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Good point Milk. We are NOT a good team playing from behind … and we FOLD in the clutch

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Great point about the redzone. We never throw the ball in the endzone.

Even during Baker's "uneven" first half of the season last year he was still throwing it all over the field and we were good in the redzone, including you know actually throwing the ball into the endzone.

Wth happened?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. I said at the beginning of the season after looking at our schedule that we may only win 9 games at most. Now we may not win that many. same old story with this team. I know injuries have played a big part but dropping passes at crucial times and fumbling have little to do with that not to mention our D can't get off the field on 3rd down. Those things have always happened to us and still continue no matter what.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Good point Milk. We are NOT a good team playing from behind … and we FOLD in the clutch

Crumbling under expectations.

It's what loser franchiaes do.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Yeah. So, I don't know about all the stuff you posted about coaching/coaches, Baker, etc.

What I DO know is, somewhere in the contract for an nfl receiver, there should be a clause about catching the ball DURING the game. $15 million a year? For what? Injuries and dropsies during the game, but 1 handed catches in warmups? Sign me up for that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by lampdogg
A few more thoughts:

Anyone giving up on the season .... is just being too emotional .

Barring a spectacular trade or two, the playoffs are not in our future. As a team, we are not playing with commitment and emotion. Our offense has enough to win games but the defense....well, Woods has to go. Anyone remember the last time we had a defensive score, or even a turnover?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
R
Legend
Legend
R
Another thing... no one is asking Stefanski tough questions in his presser. Why can't you beat good teams? Why can't you play from behind? Why do you not take any deep shots? Why do you not throw it in the emdzome in the redzone?

2 members like this: 85_Browns_Queen, Milk Man
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I think Schwartz was supposed to help develop a deep game, but with him looking completely clueless and Baker not being able to connect on the 2 or so times he's tried to hit him, it looks like Stefanski just stopped calling it. You gotta love a coach who gives up on stuff like that so easily. Most teams will just keep trying it until they succeed.

Schwartz? Pfft. He's a gimmick, one trick pony. Give up too easily? He's lucky I wasn't the coach because I would have cut his ass after he got our QB injured by being a pansy.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
R
Legend
Legend
R
He has pretty much been benched for all intents and purposes.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
He has pretty much been benched for all intents and purposes.

Schwartz was out there for several plays today when we had our three tight packages. That actually tells me a lot about OBJ. He should be the one on the field to stretch the field.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Another question I’d ask: Baker surely struggles against zone. What can we do to fix it?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Another question I’d ask: Baker surely struggles against zone. What can we do to fix it?

Does he struggle against zone?

The bigger concern is that Baker becomes the worst QB in the league when pressured.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by Westy15
He is by far our best Wr. Even in our pedestrian Offense, he should have a better stat line than one catch for 6 yards. I know we run multiple tight ends a lot, but still!

I would argue that if our best wide receiver, by far, produces as little as OBJ does then the wide receivers are very bad.

QFT. See entire thread on this very subject.

[Linked Image]

R
Legend
Legend
R
He's only out there for window dressing. There is no intent to throw him the ball.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Another thing... no one is asking Stefanski tough questions in his presser. Why can't you beat good teams? Why can't you play from behind? Why do you not take any deep shots? Why do you not throw it in the emdzome in the redzone?

I forgot one...why is the team so undisciplined?

Legend
Legend
That’s what I’ve gathered … zone/pressure is his weaknesses. And when we get down it’s all exacerbated

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
can OBJ even be considered a decoy, or threat, any longer? Drops passes even Carlton Mitchell could catch, and has no chemistry with Baker. just bite the bullet and eat his contract this year, and trade him for whatever

Legend
Legend
Was Kenny Britt and/or Dwayne Bowe more productive than OBJ (this is a serious, unfortunate question)

Last edited by Dawgs4Life; 10/31/21 08:04 PM.

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
For all of the money we are paying Obj/Landry/Hooper
They have made a microscopic impact this year to put it lightly

1st String
1st String
JJ3 picked off Bridgewater in the Thursday night game.

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
That’s like his one highlight since he’s been a Brown.
Jj3 hasn’t shown much

D
Legend
Legend
D
Another thing... no one is asking Stefanski tough questions in his presser. Why can't you beat good teams? Why can't you play from behind? Why do you not take any deep shots? Why do you not throw it in the endzone in the redzone?

Folks in this town, and on this board think the Cleveland media is so tough and so negative, but the truth is they are lapdogs compared to the media that coaches in NY, Boston, Philly or Chicago face every week after bad losses. Listen to Stefanski's pressers and its clear these reporters don"t want to make waves. Grossi and MKC are pikers compared to their counterparts in other towns.

Legend
Legend
We are all aware that this is coming off a mini bye, right? Coach had plenty of time to create an excellent game plan, and yet this was the result.

Defense pretty much held up their end. We held a team to 15 points. People can nick pick about how they scored, but a team as offensively talented as our should be able to clear 15 points by the end of the 3rd quarter, minimum.

Again, I can’t even blame bake. Other one or two throws, he was solid.

I look at the scheme and I have to question whether or not this is the end result no matter who the QB is. There doesn’t seem to be any sort of rhythm to our offense. Everything just seems like a freestyle. We’re a running team, yet go stretches having baker mayfield operate in an empty backfield. The PA aspect seems to be something Stefanski has to force himself to call, even though that’s essential in a run first offense.

I’m not talking tonight but the entire season so far. And the lack of discipline leading to all these penalties are most certainly on the HC.

Remember, that was a major reason for why kitchens got the axe. Obviously nobody is calling for his head, but this team is starting to look as undisciplined as the 2019 team.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Moxdawg
My favorite part of the D only giving up 15 pts is when the Browns went up 10-3, the defense gave up the momentum right back to the Steelers.

Yay, they only gave up 15 pts!

My second favorite part of the game was Stefanski not going for it on 4th and 1 the following drive. Make up your mind bro. You aggressive or not. And he always elects to punt when his defense has shown no signs of stopping the opposing O.

Let me guess, you gotta do better?

Throw that coach of the year award in the trash.
I honestly thought we should have gone for it. And I still can't believe we didn't get the other 4 th down

Analytics ignored...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Westy15
Who’s better? Landry? He’s a slot receiver that runs a 4.7 40

Yes absolutely Landry. He's one of the best slot receivers in the NFL. Today was on him and that's brutal but he's still producing at elite levels more often than not.

Nobody gives a rip about somebody's 40 time once the pads are on and the whistle blows. Jerry Rice had a slow 40 time too. The ability to get open, catch the football and make correct reads on routes far outweigh any 40 time in shorts.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: FATE
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My goodness. Mac Jones is better than Baker Mayfield. Drops back, decisive, throws that result in points.

Lets not get into Baker bashing. He is what he is. That's roughly NFL average. He's not terrible and he's not elite/franchise. He'll stick in the league a decade or more if his body allows.

That said, you're right. Mac Jones IS better than Baker. It is what it is at this point.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Crumbling under expectations.

It's what loser franchiaes do.

QFT here too. I said this franchise is a joke in another thread. Not this team. Not this coach or QB. Not this season. This FRANCHISE. It's starts with Jimmah Haslam. He never has nor ever will be a good owner and one magical year where the stars aligned last year didn't change that fact.

We play our best when nobody gives us a chance. When we're counted down and out. That's a great trait that comes from Stefanski and Baker IMO. However, this franchise has absolutely no ability to do anything when they've got actual expectations. Any praise from the media local or national. Any level of hype and real hope and they WILL fold their tents, find a way to screw it up and lose. Every time.

Same old Browns.

[Linked Image]

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Just got home from the game. Hour and a half trying to get out of the parking garage. Had great seats and was able to finally get a view of the whole field during plays. IMO, Baker does not see the field. OBJ was beating his man all day. He was behind the defense at least twice and Baker never looked his way. Baker again overthrowing, and throwing behind open recievers. I was always in his corner, but seeing him live changed my mind. He is a middle of the pack game manager. This team will never win a championship with him at QB.

On offense, the whole first half after Conklin went down, they had Hance one on one with Watt, and it was embarrassing. No tight end help, no chipping RBs. Then after the half, they loaded that side, and Watt didn't do much of anything, until, again, he was left with just Hance to block him. Jarvis dropped two very catchable balls, then fumbles on a drive they were moving very well, and definitely felt like they would score.

Pittsburgh's line sucks, yet, we could not get to Ben. When we did, our piss poor soft coverage always left a man open. Our corners play so off the ball it is a joke. We have no good linebackers on this team, and watching live, it stood out big time. And just like clockwork, at the end of the game, with still a chance, the defense gives up another big gainer on a crossing pattern. It was hard to watch.

As for the coach, kick the freaking field goal!!! The kicker was on the field, time stopped, and they pulled him and again went for it with about twelve yards needed. If they take the three there, there was still time to come back for another one.

Biggest takeaway from this game for me, was the Browns had no passion on the field. They looked like they were just going through the motions. What hurts, is the the Steelers looked the same. Boring game.

This team has no playmakers except Chubb. Our receivers including the top two, are not that good, and I hate to say it, but our QB sucks. No playoffs this year, and Cinci will steamroll this team. If they finish .500. I will be surprised. Big names, and bad play. It is sickening.

Last edited by Steubenvillian; 10/31/21 09:22 PM.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
2 members like this: Cleats, DaveyD
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
So Landry is our best receiver? And one of the best slot in the NFL?
He has 182 yards and 0 touchdowns on the year and we are halfway thru the season!

1 member likes this: 85_Browns_Queen
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Steelers 15 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard