Next Thread
Print Thread
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
What I saw was a team playing like a team as if we plucked that thorn that was in our foot. The team showed its allegiance with Baker Mayfield our franchise QB. Landry was a little off his normal zeal for the team as he lost a good friend but by the games end I saw him excited about the team.

What I saw was a defense that showed what they are made of as we had our top 3 CBs healthy with a 4th Greedy playing but then injuring his shoulder. When healthy Ward is as good as they get. He was covering Chase on that first drive and the Bengals marched all the way down to Goal to go and Chase did a cut in and then stopped and reversed his route to an out. Ward was with him all the way and just a tad behind on the double move but his catch up speed is excellent as he jumped in front of Chase who fell down and Intercepted the pass taking it down the sidelines for a 99 yard TD - I was so afraid of him injuring his Hammy in this sprint but he came out ok but being out of shape a little winded. This ignited our defense who was a bit tired as the Bengals got the ball again and proceeded with another drive this time for a TD to tie the game and we had yet to get the ball.

Baker was sharp and the only reason his completion % was down 67% was because with lead in the 2nd half after being 8 for 9 att. in the first half Baker threw the ball away to avert sacks or possible interceptions.

The announcers were expecting a big game from Chase cause all they could talk about was Chase this Chase that meanwhile we pretty much shut him down with just 6 catches and 13 targets under 70 yards. Newsome or Ward shut him down without help! excellent covering with MAN coverage giving our front 7 a shot at constant pressure on Burrows as we hit him often and hard.

Good to see our FA CB Hill have a great game as he made some excellent tackles and was very effective on his blitzes - I believe he got 2 sacks.

I love our D when we go attack mode that is who we should be every game. Especially if we keep on getting healthy and we got 3 more games until the bye week which we should mend completely and finish strong.

We will get JOK I think after the bye at 100% and give our attack game another weapon. speaking of FA - Johnson 3 and Walker had very good games. TakiTaki plays with a lot of heart and goes all out even though he is not that gifted physically. But our depth plays that way all of them as long as we stay in attack mode. It is so infectious that our D seemed like the Horde of Ghengis Khan! lol laugh

Well we are in this and we have to build on this - our O looked very focused and intense on executing which for some reason has been the trend without OBJ - good riddance!
Baker threw a most perfect long ball to DP Jones for a quick TD and Chubb who is the fastest RB around broke free and took off for a 70 yard run. Teller getting a nice pancake block we are a different team with WILLS back at LT. Conklin playing injured all the time didn't really drop off much with Chase taking over at RT. I interior is the best in the NFL - we should get Hunt back after the bye week as well.

What did you all see I left a lot out there for you all to share! WE ARE BACK!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"we had our top 3 CBs healthy" Our DB's were a major part of this win. That was a big problem last year not this year when healthy.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Good analogy with the thorn in the foot. We seemed more focused and less burdened … let’s hope that manifests itself

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Woods called a totally different game plan on the D .. Most man I have witnessed all season and he blitzed . You saw the results .. Not a big fan of Elliot but still didn't see any flaggable action ?? Roughing the passer a half an hour after the play was absurd .. On DPJ long ball down the sideline , he got hit in the earhole by the defenders helmet , and NO call ?

I really can do without Ski's cutesy play calling in the Red zone .. And we have beat to death the penalty problem ( calling all Coach's ) ..

Great Team we ! !

Legend
Legend
I saw a team play like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders. Make no mistake, OBJ was the problem. That was made abundantly clear yesterday.

Baker looked like baker of last year. Everybody still claiming he’s a one read QB, go watch the tape. I told you guys there’s no way he’s a one read QB, it had to be Stefanski.

And sure enough, baker was speed reading the defense. Only complaint I have on O is Stefanski play calling at the goal line. Feed Chubb, or put it into bakers hands. That play calling for Landry to pitch it to Chubb was stupid. Landry would’ve had an easy TD just running it in, but hey the play call is the play call…

What I also saw was people need to shut up about joe woods and the defense. Just stop it. We held yet another good team and great offense to 16 points. We completely took their running ability away and smacked Burrow 14 times, including 5 sacks.

We have a tough game coming up. But this is how you want to go into the week. High and flying!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
3 members like this: GMdawg, jfanent, mgh888
Legend
Legend
Pretty much saw it like you did Eo... Good thorn analogy!

The announcers weren't blatant about it, but it did appear that were depressed that Cincy was getting whipped. Almost like they were making excuses...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chase , chase chase chase chase chase chase tongue

Joe Thomas #73
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think the biggest takeaway from this game was the consistency on both sides of the ball. It seems with the exception of a couple drives in the second half by the offense, that whenever we needed a play, we got one. That was long what was missing that we were so used to last year. The offense this game was probably the most unstoppable feeling we had this year. That all bodes well for the future. I think something finally clicked for Woods and realized he has talent for a man scheme and blitzing and not a read/react zone team. Secondary was on fire yesterday.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
O
Legend
Legend
O
If we come out flying next game, then I'll confidently declare the offense fixed by moving on from OBJ. What I will say, though, is that the DPJ TD is something they've been trying to dial up with OBJ for how long, and now there it is. I saw at least 2 strikes (the one to DPJ and the one to Njoku) where Mayfield confidently unloaded the ball with perfect timing with the receiver. He let go of the ball and DPJ still had to make like 1-2 more moves before the catch.

The offense looking like it did coming off of the drama will overshadow our offense. Not only did they pummel a very potent offense, but that's their 3rd VERY solid outing in a row. That is YUGE. How good is Newsome? He was 1-1 with an NFL darling and handled his business. I think there are still some things that need to be ironed out on D (myself and the talking heads saw another potentially egregious breakdown in the secondary when Chase dropped that long ball towards the end of the game... Newsome gave him the inside which usually means he's going to have safety help, but it wasn't there). Also, we were uncharacteristically porous in the run game. Troy Hill had an enormous game, obviously in terms of his hitting the QB, but also playing the pass. I like the aggressiveness of our front. I am coming to the realization that this will result in some costly roughing the passer penalties, but I think them playing aggressive is key to making our D work.

So yeah, not only did we shut down an offense for the 3rd game in a row, but we added a bunch of turnovers and points to that solid D performance. As I mentioned, this is even more critical than our offensive breakout.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I agree oob. If we do this next week? Then watch out!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Whatever D Joe Woods was calling yesterday that''s the one we have to play the rest of the year!!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/08/21 10:59 AM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll give myself a half-pat on the back because I thought that this D SHOULD do very well against an offense like the Bengals (defends the run and gets pressure with just 4 while sitting back in coverage). I had no idea we would play such tight man coverage against a talented WR group AND be taking the ball away as much as we did.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Swish
I saw a team play like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders. Make no mistake, OBJ was the problem. That was made abundantly clear yesterday.

Baker looked like baker of last year. Everybody still claiming he’s a one read QB, go watch the tape. I told you guys there’s no way he’s a one read QB, it had to be Stefanski.

And sure enough, baker was speed reading the defense. Only complaint I have on O is Stefanski play calling at the goal line. Feed Chubb, or put it into bakers hands. That play calling for Landry to pitch it to Chubb was stupid. Landry would’ve had an easy TD just running it in, but hey the play call is the play call…

What I also saw was people need to shut up about joe woods and the defense. Just stop it. We held yet another good team and great offense to 16 points. We completely took their running ability away and smacked Burrow 14 times, including 5 sacks.

We have a tough game coming up. But this is how you want to go into the week. High and flying!!

I think my biggest issue with our defense is consistency. We'll go up against a high powered offense one week and hold them to 1 score. Then we go up against a different high powered offense and give up egregious numbers.

Hopefully we're starting to settle into place.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saw Woods at least partially let the dawgs off the leash and man did they ever light it up. In every way possible they dominated a very potent and lethal Cincy offense.

And Baker looked like his old self and was simply on fire. There was no stopping this team without OBJ, good riddance to that trash, should have cut him last year. He undermined the locker room and now we see what could have should have been. This is Baker's team and it needs to be his team. Oh and numbers do NOT lie we are much better without the trash. He was who the Giants thought he was and as he infected them he infected us. Thank God he is gone.

Chubb ran over to Hooper after he caught a short pass from Baker and slapped Hooper on the helmet it was at that moment that I realized Chubb was going to do something special before the day was out he was into it. I mean you never see Chubb show much emotion but there it was. Seems like there were players on this team that had OBJ figured out and understood what he was doing in his own little dirty way to undermine our QB. Enough I promise I am done being mad about this piece of TRASH.

Our season just got saved and looks to be headed in the correct direction. Ski keep the foot on the gas, now going forward we play like we have nothing to lose cause we don't light it up Brownies you got this. The talent this team HAS showed and man are they ever good, saw that now do it next week and the week after believe in yourselves and give all ya got.

Absolutely thrilled with this performance proved my belief in these guys was justified. Now do it again and again.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saw some terrible play calls (run up the middle at goal line) that the players made seem good, and I saw good play calls (the Landry read option pitch) that the players botched. Those saying the pitch was bad, it was an easy TD if Landry makes the pitch earlier or not at all. Him choosing to throw it only once he was falling down cost us.

Shows you that a bit too much is blamed/credited on play calls and sometimes
It’s just up the players to execute better than the D, and also sometimes the D just makes a great play (like Newsome on the elbow pull pass break up)

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'll have to see it again.

My memory says Landry was dead with zero chance. And it didn't matter when he pitched the ball to Chubb - the D had him covered all day too. I didn't hate the call as much as some, but I also don't agree with your take that it was a good call and bad execution.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I have to admit, I was worried about the D early on, the first two drives they went through us like a warm knife through butter. We got bailed out by the pick 6, a nice 14 point swing. After that, whatever adjustments we made, worked. Credit to Joe Wood for that.

Since getting beat by the Cardinals, the only team that I really feel like they BEAT US, the other 3 we really beat ourselves.. since that game we have given up 14, 15, 16 points consecutively. That's really good in the NFL, I don't care who you are playing. The 3 teams we beat are averaging 20, 19, 27... That is the beginning of consistency.

A wise person said last week that the one player we really needed to get back was DPJ... wait, I said that... With OBJ gone, hoping DPJ can get more attention and round into a solid and consistent part of the offense... I don't really care how fast Shwartz is, DPJ is our biggest deep threat.

I would like to keep harping on Stefanski's redzone play calling though.. because I don't understand it. I know the field gets shorter and such but I don't know why he thinks that the plays that worked all the way down the field, suddenly won't work any more inside the 10. And I think his approach is all wrong. If we have 3rd and 1 from the 5, I'm looking at it as, "We have 6 plays to get the ball in the endzone from here." He runs plays as if we have to score right now and he often runs high-risk plays that result in us going backwards like empty backfield passes and ridiculous handoffs to Landry then pitch to Chubb or jet sweeps to WRs... Sure, they look cool when they work but so far this year most of them have not and the risk of losing yardage is much greater. You hear the experts say all the time how much faster things have to happen on the short field... seems to me that if you can have a running back for play action, to freeze a LB or safety for just a second, that's invaluable in the red zone.. so I'm not sure why we EVER run an empty backfield down there...

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
It was either cfrs or eo that mentioned the benefit of going empty backfield (helps Baker pre-snap read). I never would've realized that, so I'm appreciative of that person pointing it out.

Additionally, there are situations where no amount of Chubb being in the backfield is going to get them to overcommit to the run (3rd and medium-to-long, for example). But despite that, I don't like how much we run empty back plays. Except for the most obvious passing downs, we should have Chubb in the backfield giving the D something else to think about. Along the same lines, I'm generally not a fan of many of the trickery plays we run (it did look to me like Landry just kinda failed to execute on that one). We seem to try to get too cute and smartypants with some playcalls when our offense is really a KISS sort of offense.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I didnt like the call simply because I felt we had owned Cincy that whole possession up front. They were on their heels. I would have preferred to go right at them

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you to a point that it's very hard to get teams to over commit to the run. But I do think when you have a back in the Chubb/Derrick Henry mold. they will do it more times than not.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It was either cfrs or eo that mentioned the benefit of going empty backfield (helps Baker pre-snap read). I never would've realized that, so I'm appreciative of that person pointing it out.
Which I get but it seems that tipping your hand that you are going to throw and not run would be the trade-off... Baker's completion % inside the opponent's 10 yard line is 18%... not sure it's working.

Along the same lines, I'm generally not a fan of many of the trickery plays we run (it did look to me like Landry just kinda failed to execute on that one).
I agree, but I will make my point using the logic that my dad used when coaching me in baseball so many years ago.. the reason you want to hit line drives and hard ground balls instead of trying to hit homeruns and risking hitting pop ups is simple.. hit a pop up it takes one person to get to the ball and make a simple catch and you are out... hit a hard ground ball, somebody has to get to it, they have to catch it (risk of bad hops), then they have to get set and throw it accurately, then somebody on the other end has to catch, and all of this has to happen before you beat it out.. much greater chance of something going wrong in your favor..

So Baker handing it to Chubb, the way he does 100 times a week between practice and games, and the OL blocking a normal blocking scheme is a low risk, but proven play to get 1 yard..

Baker handing it to Landry (not practiced a lot), who has to run the option and pitch it to Chubb (hardly ever practiced), and the OL having to pull for a play they are not used to... the risk of something bad happening goes up exponentially.

Straight handoff and running Chubb about the worst that is going to happen is you go from 3rd and 1 to 4th and 1 and you can do it again if you want... running his trick play greatly increases the odds you go from 3rd and 1 to 4th and 6.. or you lose the ball on a fumble.. now going for it on 4th down is off the table.. I just think it's stupid to insert those levels of risk in executing something so unique when it's totally unnecessary. I get the argument that every play can work if properly executed, but the chances of proper execution are not the same for every play.

yebat' Putin
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
I'll have to see it again.

My memory says Landry was dead with zero chance. And it didn't matter when he pitched the ball to Chubb - the D had him covered all day too. I didn't hate the call as much as some, but I also don't agree with your take that it was a good call and bad execution.
I don't think it was a bad call, I would much prefer to see it on a 2nd down around midfield. Proper execution and Chubb is still running, there was nobody left on that side of the field once Landry sold it. And that was where things went wrong... LB was splitting the difference between Landry and Chubb, Landry planted and ducked inside and the LB bit... unfortunately he lost his footing and was going down when the pitch left his hands.

3rd and one at the five, probably not the best call. All you need is a yard to have four more cracks at a TD. Not worth piling on though, just another one of those plays that looks genius when it works (he would have walked into the endzone), but you wear the dunce cap when it blows up.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Originally Posted by Swish

I think my biggest issue with our defense is consistency. We'll go up against a high powered offense one week and hold them to 1 score. Then we go up against a different high powered offense and give up egregious numbers.

Hopefully we're starting to settle into place.

If we played the same team every week, we could be more consistent.
Different players match up differently, and one week it is our guy that makes the amazing play in the end zone and another week it is their guy.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
The game wasn't on here so I watched at a bar, don't have it on tape to look at.. but at the time it seemed to me that the reason he botched the pitch to Chubb was because he was under pressure behind the LOS.. My recollection is they had it well defended and whether Landry kept it, made a successful pitch, or threw Chubb a bounce pass.... the play was very unlikely to work.

Not worth piling on though, just another one of those plays that looks genius when it works (he would have walked into the endzone), but you wear the dunce cap when it blows up.
I would agree with you but calling high risk, unlikely to work plays in the red zone.. this is not a one time thing, it has been a habit this year of trying to get cute and blowing up TD opportunities, sometimes doing it on 4th down, which blows up any scoring opportunity at all.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I *hope* that when we get Hunt back, that we will nix those trick plays on 3rd and <1 and try to hand him the ball. Overall, I think Chubb is the better back, but he's far more patient and doesn't seem to hit the hole with the same tenacity that Hunt does. That's not a knock on Chubb either. It's a compliment to Hunt.

In those situations, he seems to hit his lane much more convincingly.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
48 plays...41 points. That's efficiency.

The 99 yard pick-6 made for weird dynamics in the first quarter. Props to the D for overcoming the tiring effects on them early in the game. Multiple take-aways had a devastating affect on the Bengals.

Legend
Legend
48 plays...41 points. That's efficiency.

Cleveland Browns, by the numbers:

48 plays.
41 points.

I guess this is what can be accomplished when your team subtracts 13 during the week.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: WSU Willie, WooferDawg
E
Legend
Legend
E
I saw really good blocking paving the way for that long Chubb TD run. It was perfect!

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
I thought it was a poor call in light of what we had done to get there. I wanted what you described, just stick it up their tubes for a first/score. I think Ski may need a cute bypass, double shunt. It seems to flare up inside the red zone. The closer we get, the better the chance for this kind of fail.

The design is good, and I would love to see it with Hunt and Chubb together. I Think you could throw off this as a RPpitch option.

I am delighted with 41 points and a convincing win. Does Vegas have an O/U for how many times MG will be held in a game, or the missed calls by refs on him? That double hold was shocking to see, frustrating to watch it be allowed.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
HATS OFF TO THEM ALL!
It's fun to watch a game twice and only see minor improvements needed.

During practice SKI needs to take a Paintball Gun and shoot anyone found lining up in the neutral zone.
Or at the very least have the ones caught for it in a game wear a sticker of shame on their helmet all week... ;-)

He and the OC need to find the best retired Red Zone Coach/OC and pick their brains.
We suck there!

I live in Cincy and remember Klingler and his career getting destroyed behind the Bungles HORRIBLE OL.
So much so he found God.... seriously.
That's who Burrows reminded me of...... he looked scared toward the end and was kept in far too long.
KUDOS to the D! Every QB me meet should look like that after 3 Quarters.

I don't know why Miles isn't drawing flags on about every play?
He's was held, back blocked or face masked all day.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Oober what I had said was that Baker excels in a spread em no huddle environment. I do like and I think Baker also likes our concept of a running attack and to have play action passing off of it. What I was saying that there are obvious times (when we are behind) that we need to go mostly exclusive in an air attack. In those cases I think we should practice what Baker excels in and get the entire O feeding off of each other and be proficient at that air attack when needed. I also suggested that we should just pick a time just out of nowhere to run no huddle especially after we have tired the D with our running attack and play action. BANG ZOOM go no huddle and put our foot on their throats...then BANG ZOOM go back to our standard running attack/3 TEs play action pass to keep teams off guard and also tire them out so when we do go in the 4th quarter we control the LOS and the game. I don't like when we have the lead and SKI goes into this conservative mode and try to run the clock with run run and then way too often because teams are cramming the box and hitting on all the gaps we find ourselves with a 3rd and 7 or 8 situation and if you notice way too often that is when Baker gets sacked - simply cause teams pin their ears back knowing we are passing and put way too much pressure on Baker where he eats it and gets sacked. I don't like this strategy and it only tires our D and our opponents end up controlling the 4th quarter on us and we lose the game! I don't wish to be close in games. This is a scheme that is utilized when we know the other team is better than us. WE ARE NOT THAT TEAM ANY MORE!!! We should be doing what we just did to the Bengals...ATTACK and don't stop attacking until its time to go into the VICTORY formation.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: Brown to the Bone
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 41 Bengals 16 What I saw Browns vs Bengals #1

Link Copied to Clipboard