Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
I used VHS to time-shift my Browns games ever since The Return.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I used to have one of those ...... long, long ago. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I remember my mom trying to use this circa '89 to record Roseanne. It never worked out.

Nobody could figure out how to record in the late 80's. Complete hit or miss. Just press the Play/Pause buttons simultaneously and hope it works out.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
I used VHS to time-shift my Browns games ever since The Return.

All I can say is, not even the VCR Plus folks had the time to read the manual and figure out how the heck to get that flashing 12:00 off the clock.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
2 members like this: FATE, Milk Man
Legend
Legend
rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Legend
Legend
T
If you are going to play Detroit next week. Do not let Godwin Igwebuke beat you.
to say again.

Do Not Let Godwin Igwebuke beat you.

He's fast. He's the real deal. He's a typhoon on roller skates, with bulldozer cleats on a dime.

Nobody can stop him, they can only hope to contain him, limit his impact.
If the Lions, remain stupid enough, to keep giving the ball to their other running backs at a 400-1 rate, whatever, but you can't count on the Lions to remain that way. If you are playing the Lions,

Do Not Let Godwin Igwebuke beat you.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
I admit this is is a probably an overreaction. I know about the rookie record, the second half of last year and the injury this year. But right now, at this moment, I would trade Baker Mayfield for Mac Jones. It feels like Baker is just never going to take us there. I was really impressed with Jones. Gets rid of the ball quick and has a good touch. Better deep ball thrower than I had been led to believe.

M
Legend
Legend
M
As others have said. Stefanski & Woods given a clinic by Belichic and McDaniels.

New England are a very complete team. Tough. Well coached. Disciplined. And an offense that kept our D off balance all freaking game.

The return of Chubb and Hunt will help - but as many pointed out, the moment we get behind we struggle: KS gets pass happy. We don't have the receiving core. We don't have the QB at the moment with Baker injured.

No surprise Baker with a broken bone and a torn labarum in his non throwing arm is not as good as Mc jones. More fodder for the haters no doubt and the double clutching and the interception certainly a problem. Maybe he'll be hurt and folks can be reminded of what really bad QB play looks like, because I have zero faith in Case. Anyway - to your point Big G - yes, I think the "real" Baker is the guy we saw in the last half of last year and the first two games this year when he was performing very well. But he needs to be healthy and no-one can possibly know what the shoulder injury has done to his confidence in the pocket and throwing motion etc. Wait and see. 5th year option is a total no-brainer, so we get to see how he does for at least one more season.

It ain't over. We've turned things around before under KS and we may well again. I do not think the Ravens, Bengals or Pit are as good as NE. Still a glimmer of hope.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I have no words

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Psydeffect
Originally Posted by DaveyD
Baker still having issues looking off his first reads and not seeing wide open receivers. This interception was the worst decision throwing into double coverage and not seeing wide open receivers.
My guess was he was trying to get the 1st down and forcing the issue.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Ugh, wish I wouldn't have seen that. He just rarely wants to take the quick outlet, always wants to force it downfield.

Baker may have issues seeing pass-catchers...but on that screenshot...it's 3rd & 7. The blue line is the line of scrimmage...the open "receiver" at the blue line is a fullback...he's gonna get 7 YAC? The other receiver is Schwartz...3 yards short of the first down. He's gonna get 3 YAC? Do we ever get YAC?

Legend
Legend
No, we never get YAC

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I had some doubts about winning yesterdays game, I usually do with all our games, but I never thought it would be as bad as it was. I figured it would be close. I live in Pats land and always wear my Browns cap during football season. I'll be giving that a rest after yesterday.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I never put away this drum...we do not have the "weapons" that pundits, opponents and even Browns fans like(d) to tout...we just don't and didn't.

Our best WR right now is a 2nd year, 6th Rd guy from Michigan. Our All-pro TE looks like he's running on a sand volleyball court. Our TE weapon would have a broken nose today if the facemask didn't deflect the thrown ball.

Here's a summary of this thread to date to consider:

I've read that our OLine was man-handled (I too saw that);

I've read that our receivers don't get separation (shocker) (Hard to say from TV...but not one WR has a special skillset that translates to the field);

I've read that the playcalling on O was awful and the guy doing it should give up that job (I think that too);

I've read that R Wilson would not likely come to CLE to play for the current HC (But Baker should overcome the HC?);

And I've read that Baker is below-average...or my favy that 'things must be perfect for Baker to succeed' (see Hue Jackson) It's ridiculous. Baker has his issues...overcoming the above list is not one of them...not to mention the torn labrum and a strap keeping his lead arm down.

We are a bad football team right now with a ton of talent...Callahan and Stump Mitchell are getting a lot out of starters, injured guys and backups. The rest of the coahes simply aren't.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I never put away this drum...we do not have the "weapons" that pundits, opponents and even Browns fans like(d) to tout...we just don't and didn't.

Our best WR right now is a 2nd year, 6th Rd guy from Michigan. Our All-pro TE looks like he's running on a sand volleyball court. Our TE weapon would have a broken nose today if the facemask didn't deflect the thrown ball.

I've read that our receivers don't get separation (shocker) (Hard to say from TV...but not one WR has a special skillset that translates to the field);

I've read that the playcalling on O was awful and the guy doing it should give up that job (I think that too);

I've read that R Wilson would not likely come to CLE to play for the current HC (But Baker should overcome the HC?);

And I've read that Baker is below-average...or my favy that 'things must be perfect for Baker to succeed' (see Hue Jackson) It's ridiculous. Baker has his issues...overcoming the above list is not one of them...not to mention the torn labrum and a strap keeping his lead arm down.

We are a bad football team right now with a ton of talent...Callahan and Stump Mitchell are getting a lot out of starters, injured guys and backups. The rest of the coahes simply aren't.

this is proof that it was never about OBJ. some of you guys will find any excuse in the world to not blame the guy who has the ball in his hands every snap.

why is baker the team captain if he holds no responsibility for anything?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Swish

2 members like this: 85_Browns_Queen, FL_Dawg
Legend
Legend
One player who played his worst game IMO: Wills. He was awful.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

This is the first time I have shut off a Browns game at half time, game was already decided by then imo...and I was right, I'm sure there's stuff I missed as I didn't watch the 2nd half at all. Just totally saddening, how do you get blown out by such a vast amount...while supposedly having a deep playoff caliber roster...

Baker- I will say this, a lot of people saw Drew Brees in him, from the get go I saw zero Brees in him. Brees was a wizard pre snap and post snap, Baker struggles mightily in these areas. Accuracy remains sketchy as well, Baker just isn't playing well...Is it his shoulder? or is he just an average QB? Start of the year (I think the Texans game?) They figured Baker out. On 4th down, just come crashing down on Baker, as he panics and the play is over before it starts...Baker has really lost points in this area (well the whole offense too) We are awful in the red zone when forcing to pass as well, just really disappointing anymore.

WRs- Landry is hurt, and he has done nothing since being hurt...He's regressed due to injury as well. In draft talk, I tried telling everyone that Shwartz tape looked like that of a 6th round draft pick (Doesn't play to timed speed, poor football IQ, timid, limited route tree...However his blazing 40 propelled him) Higgins has made some mental errors, and I haven't seen much of him. DPJ is our only hope out of this core, and he looked invisible yesterday. YAC and separation remains an issue with this core, this core just doesn't look even above average.

D- DTs aren't very good, gap responsibilities on the Dline and 2nd level showed up...IS it just me, or do our big DE's free lance too much...Our LBs still can't shed a block and always over pursue...Mack always seems to crash into someone, and gets washed out...I only saw JOK for a few snaps, he got washed out too. Our secondary always seeems to have a communication error, and leaves someone or multiples open. Secondary just seems awfully soft.

Coaching- Our team just looks very predictable this year, last year with coach Stef...There was so many plays that even had me guessing constantly what we were going to do. I also don't think the TE heavy sets are doing any favors, seems to be making our team slower...when we seem to be really needing someone to get open quicker. on the D, the 3rd and 4th down conversion rate is staggering, Woods and Stef need to right this ship ASAP.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Im waiting for Eotab to come in and defend his boy Baker now.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Carmen nailed it.

Baker is an enigma. He's better than we've had but he's not all that good. He's also mentally weak, imo. But what do you do? Go back into the QB abyss or pay him and hope for the best?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
OBJ turned out to be an exceptionally poor addition...regardless of the results yesterday...and regardless of whose fault it was.

Baker was named a Team Captain for the game yesterday...just yesterday. They aren't using season-long TCs this year.

Among the many disasters of yesterday that I listed above...I'll copy it here since it appears you missed it..."Baker has his issues".

I'll say this again too..."We are a bad football team right now with a ton of talent"

D
Legend
Legend
D
I think there's probably 5-6 "Elite" QBs in the league, and none of them are coming here. I never thought Mayfield was elite, nor have I thought he was as deeply flawed as some posters. I think I'd put him in the 10-12 range of QB rankings. He's not in the $40M per year group, probably closer Kirk Cousins' level in today's dollars. I'd put it at $30M. IMO, you can win with a "good", not elite QB if you are able to surround him with good skill positions. We have solved the RB position, but I think we desperately need more big, fast WRs, and TE has been a hole on this team for as long as I can remember. I like Landry a lot when he's healthy, DPJ has promise that needs developing, but I think the rest - Higgins, Schwartz, Beckham, Bryant, Njoku, Hooper - are JAGs.

Bottom line for me is that we shouldn't hate the good in the absence of the perfect - because those guys are freaking unicorns. Mayfield may not be Mr Right, just Mr Right Now.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
On a positive note, Troy Hill is OK with just a neck sprain. Thank God for that.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Week 10 and coaching staff still searching for answers.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The Patriots and the Titans are teams that we were suppose to be this season. Tough, physical, run the ball and make a minimal amount of mistakes. I envy the fans of those teams right now. Maybe we need a guy like Rex Ryan to come in and coach this D. There's too much talent to keep playing like this.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/15/21 01:22 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Is it me or do we here the exact same thing after any loss?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Post game thought? People can no longer use OBJ as an excuse when Baker plays like hot garbage.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: jimmyfoxhound
Legend
Legend
That’s a good statement of Baker. He’s certainly better than the Weedens and washed up Delhomme’s of the world, but he’s certainly not a FQB

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seems to me that many a poster are suffering from ill kept mind's ! ... Problems are such that I am not sure much can be ch anged between now and the end of the Season .. Not a lot you can do to add quality players this time of the year.. Ski is not going anywhere soon .. Don't think Berry and Ski would replace Woods at this point in the season..

The organization will be forced to review Ski in the OC roll in the off season .. I still believe part of the problem on the " O " is poorly designed pass routes on any given play ... Yes we could use another WR or two .. Using Swartz in place of Higgins is mind boggling .. Not having Chubb / Hunt and Felton hurts.

Woods D has always been a problem for me.. They couldn't get off the field on third down last season and again this year. Play prevent and still give up big plays .. Can't say the FO didn't try and up grade he personal this season. Although Walker reminds me of Walli from a by gone era. tons of tackles ( 4-5 yards down the field ) .. Weakness uo thee cut has been showing up .. ( Defensive Tackle anyone )

Baker is hard to nail down for a bunch of reasons .. The whole OBJ thig should have been settled in he off season ( problem from the start ) ..Injury's have taken their toll on the young man .. Ski's up and down / inconsistent play calling .. Baker can only run the play that he is handed. Receiver's arn't open near enough .. Oh yea , drops ! .. Not running designed roll outs for him is one of my Biggest pet peeves ..

There is still a lot football left .. Some of it will be GOOD .. LOL

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Post game thought? People can no longer use OBJ as an excuse when Baker plays like hot garbage.
I think that's a total croc of made up bologna..... People used OBJ as a means to crucify Baker. No one said Baker was bad because of OBJ. Some said Baker played better without OBJ... You are creating a narrative that never existed.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
P
Legend
Legend
P
You obviously weren't reading the board. Things were posted like "OBJ is in Bakers head." "We can only have on alpha and that should be Baker. OBJ is garnering too much attention." "OBJ is running the wrong routes and he is the first read. It throws off Baker's timing." And let me ask you, when people kept saying Baker plays better without OBJ, are you trying to say that isn't trying to place the fault of Bakers poor play on OBJ? I mean really?

The only people who were pushing a narrative were those making excuses for Baker by trying to shift the blame for it onto OBJ. It's those people who will have to find a new narrative. That crap will no longer flush and the scent of it stagnating in the bowl is becoming putrid and rank.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't agree with your conclusions. If OBJ is/was in Bakers head... That's a Baker problem not an excuse. Oh well.

When Baker was throwing to OBJ and missing him, maybe all those things are in play and valid? If Baker is missing open TEs or other WR that are open... Hardly anything to do with blaming OBJ.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/15/21 02:06 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If OBJ was constantly running the wrong routes and it had a negative impact on the team and Baker's performance, then why did Stefanski keep putting him in the line up? Uh oh, I just gave them another excuse. wink

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
You are creating a narrative that never existed.

Because THATS never happened before! rofl

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You can't run from the truth. Well, it looks like maybe you can.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
j/c...

It's not you. He may as well have this recorded, he says it so often.

At some point you need to actually do better and stop saying it.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
This is like Groundhog Day. We had all the momentum going a few years back, then they decide to have Freddie run the team and disaster ensued. Freddie gets canned and Kevin comes in and takes us to the Playoffs. Big expectations this year and we flounder again. Remined me of a few years ago where we were expected to be a Super Bowl Contender and had 5 Prime Time games that year and totally blew it. The Browns definitely play their best when they have no expectations and media hype around them.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
D
Legend
Legend
D

Amen to that. I'm also tired of coaches and players taking the blame for things that never get fixed. I just heard a clip of Anthony Walker saying he takes total responsibility for the defensive failures. While I don't think he's very good, it seems a bit excessive, not to mention self-important, for him to take ALL the blame for that joke of a defense we watched yesterday. It just seems disingenuous to me when everybody is tripping over each other to take blame because I think they think if everyone's to blame, no one is to blame.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

this is proof that it was never about OBJ. some of you guys will find any excuse in the world to not blame the guy who has the ball in his hands every snap.

Baker does have responsibility, but to counter your argument, there are folks on here that it doesn't matter if we lose 16-10 or 45-42 or 45-7.. or how Baker played, they go right after Baker because we lost, so it must be his fault. I don't know how much of a problem OBJ was but he wasn't proving to be a part of the solution either.

yebat' Putin
1 member likes this: slick
T
Legend
Legend
T
I can't name the complete list of Browns players, who earned their position on the team by coming into training camp and beating out the Browns starter at their position when they arrived.

and weren't just given their place by being a draft pick or a flashy signing from somewhere else.

Can you?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted by mgh888
j/c...

Coach Stef says we have to do better. I slap my forehead and think "Of course! Why didn't I think of that?".

[Linked Image from pics.me.me]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Carmen nailed it.

Baker is an enigma. He's better than we've had but he's not all that good. He's also mentally weak, imo. But what do you do? Go back into the QB abyss or pay him and hope for the best?

I thought about this earlier today. I like Baker and feel he is better than you think, but he is no top level QB. He can be a good QB, and for me that is all you need if you have other components around him.

As to your question, I came to the conclusion we put him on a franchise tag and spend a fairly high pick on a QB. Maybe not a 1st rounder just yet, but maybe a 2nd or 3rd for sure. That way we can let Baker walk if need be after next season and go with the drafted guy, to either be a bridge or end up our QB.

We are quickly working ourselves in to a tough decision because as of now, Baker isn't looking to be worth 40 or so mil a season and i am pretty sure that is what he is going to be looking for in a contract.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 7 Patriots 45 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard