Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1903159 11/14/21 07:10 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
…but I thinks that’s the season folks. We have 7 games left. Looking at the rest of the clogged upper-middle of the AFC we probably need to win 5 of the remaining 7 to be on a crowded cusp with a 10-7 record.

Is that impossible? No. Likely? Also no. I would posit it as extremely unlikely.

We’ve been solved. We’re a hot/ cold steaky team with lots of talent that can’t put it together consistently. I’m a Baker guy but I’m fading. The next step isn’t happening. Not this year anyway.

I don’t mean to pile on but if I’m a betting man, today was the tipping point statistically speaking. Whadda bummer.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
There are a few alarming trends with this year’s team … we get down more than 1 score and we are easily done, our WRs are the worst in the NFL, and our 3rd down defense is an Achilles heel.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
No sure 10-7 gets the Browns in either. Already lose the tiebreaker to the Chiefs, Chargers and now the Patriots.

I'd say they have to go 6-1 to get in.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Browns need to win the AFC North to make the playoffs. They lose too many tie breakers to get a wild card slot.

So win the [bleeping] AFC North!

2 members like this: AZBrown, DeisleDawg
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I wouldn’t agree that our receivers the worst but everything else you said is correct IMO. I think our single biggest problem frankly is 3rd (and 4th!) down defense. Which is hard to understand. I don’t see how Woods sticks after this season. I’m not an expert but we seem to have continuously terrible scheme and communication issues. Which of course are coaching issues.

More to the point, it’s very troubling that coaching can’t consistently prepare this team and scheme properly for opponents week in week out. And unable to make quality adjustments during the game. Some serious souls searching after this season, which I’m now expecting to come to an abrupt and unceremonious end after the last Bengals game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
There is a LONG way to go. Who saw the Ravens losing or the Steelers "not winning". No idea if they can hold on but I doubt many saw the Panthers with Cam beating the Cardinals. WFT beating the Bucs.

I agree with the comment about alarming tendencies. On both offense and D. I still think KS needs to call plays for only one half. Or even the first damn drive. How many flipping games do we come out rocking and then Stefanski gets pass happy or cute - whatever. Needs fixing. With as much analytics as we have and use - hopefully we apply plenty of it to ourselves.

Longer shot than the day started? Sure - but the season is most definitely not over.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
the Browns need to stop listening to the outside noise ! practice tough...play tough.. and it will be a team belief you can win..not what tie wearers say !

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Milk Man
No sure 10-7 gets the Browns in either. Already lose the tiebreaker to the Chiefs, Chargers and now the Patriots.

I'd say they have to go 6-1 to get in.

I would agree. 5-2 and I think we have less than a 50-50 shot.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I'm not against the Premise, I wish it would have been titled less negatively.
" the season is over"
" We're up against it"
" the fat lady has sung"

Nevermind, there are only negative ways to say it.

Browns are still Mathmatically alive, Who doesn't love math?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ok, sure, this week in particular there were lots of unpredictable games. But just looking at us, I just don’t see it. I don’t see the Browns putting together 5 or 6 wins with 2 Ravens games, Green Bay, Vegas, and we seemingly always split with Cincinnati. All winnable games. Will we win 5 or 6 of them? I’m putting zero dollars on it.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Good news, we are still only one game back in the division with two games coming up with that team. We can still win the division and back into the playoffs like an NFC team.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really think Stefanski needs to bring in an Offensive coordinator and hire a new Defensive coordinator, to me our biggest problem is when things aren't going our way we don't make adjustments. This team is so inconsistent, one week we look like Super Bowl contenders and the next we look totally inept.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can't rely on teams losing..got to go win !!! that's how Super Bowls are won.. Ya just win !

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Good news, we are still only one game back in the division with two games coming up with that team. We can still win the division and back into the playoffs like an NFC team.

We can. I am with a few others and doubt that happens. I am just not feeling it. I hope I am wrong.

I went down to the sports bar to watch todays game. I got my check and left as the pats scored just before the half. Knowing they were getting the ball after the half, I knew it was curtains. No need to watch that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Browns are good one week and bad the next so we will probably blowout the Lions. After that, who knows?
This team is just too darn inconsistent so going 7-1 or 6-2 the rest of the way just doesn't seem realistic at the moment.

M
Legend
Legend
M
If I had to venture a guess, it will go like this...

Back against the wall mentality, talk all week about coaching issues, locker room divide and they'll come out and beat a much inferior Lions team.

The following week when facing the Ravens on national TV in a moment for the Browns to really shine, they'll lose a heart-breaker.

The next home game against the Ravens, the Browns get mollywhopped and the season will be essentially over. Cue Counting Crows 'Long December.'

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I hate to say it but I think the Steelers are also snakebit this season. Too many injuries. It's just one game Browns fans. It will get better.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That’s a fairly good bet

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
The two most important ingredients to winning are head coach and QB.

The Browns have an average head coach (trending toward below average) and a below average QB.

There is zero chance they are making the playoffs.

And they don't deserve to.

This is the current reality for the Browns. Get to the off season and hope Stefanski and Baker can improve.

That's all we got to look forward to. Hope for improvement and low expectations. The Browns thrive on low expectations.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The two most important ingredients to winning are head coach and QB.

The Browns have an average head coach (trending toward below average) and a below average QB.

There is zero chance they are making the playoffs.

And they don't deserve to.

This is the current reality for the Browns. Get to the off season and hope Stefanski and Baker can improve.

That's all we got to look forward to. Hope for improvement and low expectations. The Browns thrive on low expectations.

Question for you - if Matt Ryan is available in the offseason, would you consider him to be an upgrade to Mayfield?

T
Legend
Legend
T
NO

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
R
Legend
Legend
R
No.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Only way now to make playoffs is to win the division. Obviously that is not gonna happen. We have coaches that dont stick to what works. Last week we played man coverage and blitzed the crap out of burrow. This week we reverted back to our glorified prevent defense and let a rookie QB eat us alive. On offense stefanski did his usual when the game is close. Abandon the run and become pass happy. Which from what I understand was one of the knocks on him in MINNESOTA. Joe woods, is to conservative. His defense reminds me off romeo crennells. The keep everything in front of you defense, which isnt working. Then, he will switch to a attacking defense like the one we seen against the bengals and bears , which works much better, just for him to revert back the very next game

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Once again, the Browns made a rookie QB look like a pro bowler. I love the Browns, but I hate them.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
2 members like this: Homewood Dog, Ballpeen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This team has defensive and offensive talent out the wazu . This is on coaching

Joe Thomas #73
2 members like this: WSU Willie, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns:

Not smart.

Definitely not tough.

Hardly accountable.

1 member likes this: mgh888
B
Legend
Legend
B
Baker is regressing. He double clutches way too much. Either he doesn't trust the read or trust the arm.

Play design or execution might also be a problem. On the interception..it looked like 2 receivers were in close proximity of each other. Either we did something wrong or it was a poorly designed play. Two receivers bunched up in theory means you are going to have 2 defenders in the area able to make a play on the ball.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We definitely are exposed against disciplined/tough teams like Pittsburgh and New England and Baltimore.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Or maybe it is coaches. Against Belicheck, we marched right down the field and scored, them BOOM, nothing, 42 unanswered points against us.

That tells me either the players can't pivot and make in game adjustments or the coaches can't.
At least as things stand today. Yesterday we looked like the 1999 team.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Yeah that could be too. As we’ve said, we typically look good “on script” but then have a huge lull in the middle of the game

1st String
1st String
Mayfield is done. Never liked that pick. He’s below average, inconsistent, and not a firm, solid, team leader. Management needs to start shopping or seriously looking at draft options for a real NFL QB.

Never have hope. You won’t be disappointed.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dean
Mayfield is done. Never liked that pick. He’s below average, inconsistent, and not a firm, solid, team leader. Management needs to start shopping or seriously looking at draft options for a real NFL QB.
Can you explain what happened in the final 9 games of last year? That's when Baker was rated as one of the top 5 QB in the NFL? Same this year until his shoulder got torn off. Genuinely curious. Was it a flukey 9 game skid?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
i hate to say it,

but i dont think we're beating the lions.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mgh888
Can you explain what happened in the final 9 games of last year? That's when Baker was rated as one of the top 5 QB in the NFL? Same this year until his shoulder got torn off. Genuinely curious. Was it a flukey 9 game skid?

Browns had an excellent run game and Baker complemented it?

Week 8: Pass yards - 122, Rush yards - 101 (L)
Week 9: Bye
Week 10: Pass yards - 125, Rush yards - 231 (W)
Week 11:Pass yards - 187, Rush yards - 137 (W)
Week 12: Pass yards - 257, Rush yards - 207 (W)
Week 13: Pass yards - 340, Rush yards - 118 (W)
Week 14: Pass yards - 355, Rush yards - 138 (L)
Week 15: Pass yards - 286, Rush yards - 108 (W)
Week 16: Pass yards - 254, Rush yards - 45 (Covid game vs Jets)(L)
Week 17: Pass yards - 166, Rush yards - 192 (W)

P
Legend
Legend
P
The good news? People can't use OBJ for an excuse as to why Baker stunk it up this week.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I see one of two things:

We either come out inspired (like we typically do after a loss) and win soundly

Or

We fold

M
Legend
Legend
M
Because OBJ stunk it up just fine on his own.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Like I said, they'll have to find a new excuse now. When you play as bad or worse with him gone, maybe you just aren't good?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by sk8termom
I hate to say it but I think the Steelers are also snakebit this season. Too many injuries. It's just one game Browns fans. It will get better.
I keep considering that the Bengals lost to the Jets, the Bills lost to the Jags, the Steelers tied the Lions, the Panthers blew out the Cardinals, Washington beat Tampa Bay... every team this year, that considers themselves a playoff caliber team, has laid an egg (yea, I get injuries, covid, etc but it's not like we haven't dealt with that here), this was obviously one of ours... the difference is that most of those teams have also proved they can beat other winning teams, that is something we have struggled with... we are stuck in the middle beating almost all the teams we should be but none of the teams that are "on our level" with respect to record... and that doesn't get you in the playoffs. Had we won 2 out of 3 between KC, Chargers, Steelers, which we probably should have, I think our outlook on this embarrassing loss would be different and little more, let's not panic... but we are in panic mode considering we let those games get away and haven't really proven we can win close games against good teams.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I feel like Landry has really regressed. I know he was hurt, but I saw at least twice yesterday where he basically slid to avoid getting hit. I get not taking unnecessary hits, but he was really tentative. I don't know if he is trying to avoid more injuries, or if he is packing it in. Either way, it's not something I've seen out of him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 7 Patriots 45 Hate to say it….

Link Copied to Clipboard