Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
'A date which will live in infamy' - Pearl Harbor attack happened 80 years ago

Chillicothe (Ohio) Gazette
Tue, December 7, 2021, 5:02 AM·2 min read
https://news.yahoo.com/date-live-infamy-pearl-harbor-100217854.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

The headline in the Dec. 8, 1941 edition of the Chillicothe Gazette proclaimed, "War Declared by Congress."

Congress wasted no time in declaring war after the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in the morning hours of Dec. 7, 1941.

But back home in Chillicothe, the news on that front page was about the local servicemen who may have been serving in the Pacific, but their status was unknown at the time.

Below, a link to the front page of the Chillicothe Gazette on Dec 8, 1941. Use the same link below to scroll down for addition stories in the Chillicothe Gazzette and to click a link to the remainder of the article

link to front pg

The front page of the Dec. 8, 1941 edition of the Chillicothe Gazette - the day after the Pearl Harbor attack.

A clipping from the Dec. 22, 1941 paper that showed the parents of a local sailor were informed he was officially missing after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The secondary headline on the page read, "Chillicothean On Bomb-Hit USS Oklahoma."

The story began:

A check by the Gazette Monday disclosed scores of Chillicotheans and Ross countians to be in the Pacific area which exploded in war Sunday. So far as could be ascertained no casualty reports had been received up to noon by local next of kin.

At least one Chillicothean was believed to be on the USS Oklahoma, reported damage in the bomb raid on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. A number of others were stationed in Pacific outposts, including Hickman Field, Hawaii where bombs took a heavy toll of American lives.

One of the soldiers mentioned was Joseph Warren Hoffman who at the time was believed to be on the USS Oklahoma but his status was unknown, according to the Dec. 8, 1941 edition of the Gazette. It was just last year that Hoffman's remains were identified.

On Dec. 7, 1941, Hoffman was stationed aboard the battleship USS Oklahoma, which was moored at Battleship Row off Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, when Japanese aircraft launched a surprise attack on the Pacific Fleet.

The Oklahoma was hit by three torpedoes at around 8 a.m. that December morning, causing the ship to capsize quickly and resulting in the deaths of 429 crewmen including Hoffman.

Click the link below will show another page from the Chillicothe Gazette

link

A clipping from the Dec. 22, 1941 paper that showed the parents of a local sailor were informed he was officially missing after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Although three sailors from Ross County were killed at Pearl Harbor, Hoffman was always said to be the county's first casualty because his family was the first to receive the War Department telegram declaring him officially missing in action, as reported at the time by the Gazette.

Story continues

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I’ve said it on here before, the Pearl Harbor Memorial is one of the most eerie places I have ever been to. Had the pleasure to visit it 3 times while I was stationed in Hawaii

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thank You for the thread Mac. Least we forget !

A
Legend
Legend
A
You are correct. I've only been to it one time, but, like you said: Eerie.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The horrible part is that the same forces we were fighting then, far right fascists and tyrants, have made a comeback. A solid third of the country would bring it here, if they had their way, and we don't have an FDR to face it. With the state of the political world, I wouldn't be surprised if there is another world war before we hit the hundred-year mark. Those who don't learn from histories lessons, often repeat histories mistakes.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 12/07/21 05:12 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I was watching the news yesterday that had some Pearl Harbor survivors. There aren’t many left. The 20th century is slipping away.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Not many vets show up at WW2 memorials anymore, I know because I have been to several of them over the years.

Tick/tock, the wheel never stops.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My grandmother's brother(Uncle Louie) was at Pearl when it was hit. They didn't know how he fared for weeks with the ensueingchaos, communications, etc wiped out.

Thanks and prayers to all who have served.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... 80 yrs ago today, Dec 7, 1941...

Link Copied to Clipboard