Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Browns are signing veteran punter Dustin Colquitt, whom Atlanta released this week, to their 53-man roster.

We are SAVED LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Your link took me to an NBA page. But I'm guessing since you told me I may have to "back it up a few seconds" that your predicating your game analysis on a single play. Anyone who has ever played football knows if you run a route in the opposite direction the running play goes in, you take your defender with you. As such you take him out of the play. This isn't complicated.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Browns are signing veteran punter Dustin Colquitt, whom Atlanta released this week, to their 53-man roster.

We are SAVED LOL

was't he a previous plater?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Yes but the presentation of the food on the plate was excellent!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

We are SAVED LOL

He is the brother of our previous punter.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Colquitt is who The Hammer replaced, right?

Good signing.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Pdawg

Ahhh, I should have read everything before posting.
Maybe good, maybe not good.... eh, it's better than signing nobody.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by Pdawg

Ahhh, I should have read everything before posting.
Maybe good, maybe not good.... eh, it's better than signing nobody.

Colquitt is going to come in and not screw things up. That’s the most you can ask of a punter under most circumstances.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The Colquitts are NFL royalty when it comes to punting. Father Craig had a long career, and two sons Dustin and Britton had some good years too. They're like the Zendejas family is to placekickers.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Dave
The Colquitts are NFL royalty when it comes to punting. Father Craig had a long career, and two sons Dustin and Britton had some good years too. They're like the Zendejas family is to placekickers.

Fun fact:

The Zendejas family has a restaurant near where I live and it is probably the worst Mexican food I’ve ever had.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Originally Posted by Dave

Fun fact:

The Zendejas family has a restaurant near where I live and it is probably the worst Mexican food I’ve ever had.

Their brother, Chi-Chi Zendejas, had a pretty good Mex restaurant before that pesky virus outbreak from tainted produce put him out of business.

Legend
Legend
Trusting my memory here (not always a good thing) I believe he was averaging over 47 yards per punt this season for Atlanta, and he has been a holder on kicks for years.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I hope Colquitt stays on with us. I don't trust the Hammer at all. Inconsistency.

And based on our injury report going into Sunday's game, I'm surprised we won to be honest. We could have used Newsome for sure.

Sounds like we'll enter our game with the Raiders much stronger with our Covid "injuries" over, and Newsome hopefully over his concussion protocol. I don't think we were too banged up after the Ravens game.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 12/13/21 10:40 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Newsome was greatly missed yesterday; Greedy got owned by #12 most of the afternoon.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Just thinking out loud -

The team doesn't look as well coached this year. Do posters generally agree with that? More penalties. In game coaching issues and struggles. 12 men on the field (after a time out). A hands team that has a FB that doesn't look at the ball. Too many cute plays trying to trick NFL teams who are too well coached to buy the fake....

So I was wondering/speculating - KS as a younger and technology embracing, analytics using HC ... he might have benefitted last year? He was able to prepare and do more with less time for traditional team activities/coaching than many of the stalwarts?

This year it's more a level playing field. That advantage has gone... It seems we are struggling more. OR ... is it as simple as our QB got really badly busted up in week 3 and nothing has been the same since? IDK the answer.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
The attention to detail & discipline is definitely lacking. We had another 12 men call this week, after taking a TO to avoid one in the last game and then still getting it AFTER the TO. That is as clear an indicator that from coordinator on down, people aren't knowing their jobs.

One of Steven Wright's jokes that I reference all the time is "Experience is that thing you get right after you needed it."
I think the middle of that joke is where Stefanski and his staff is, currently. This is THEIR learning curve and growing pains..... hopefully, they're all actually learning from it instead of looking at a 'W' and blindly thinking everything is ok.

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
Obviously there is more to it than this, but last year was a freakshow in terms of the hoops we had to jump through sometimes ("Guy named Blake", all the WRs out for that one game, etc) and we seemed to still execute really well and no breakdown in discipline. With that in mind, it's difficult to explain the discipline issues.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by mgh888
Just thinking out loud -

The team doesn't look as well coached this year. Do posters generally agree with that? More penalties. In game coaching issues and struggles. 12 men on the field (after a time out). A hands team that has a FB that doesn't look at the ball. Too many cute plays trying to trick NFL teams who are too well coached to buy the fake....

So I was wondering/speculating - KS as a younger and technology embracing, analytics using HC ... he might have benefitted last year? He was able to prepare and do more with less time for traditional team activities/coaching than many of the stalwarts?

This year it's more a level playing field. That advantage has gone... It seems we are struggling more. OR ... is it as simple as our QB got really badly busted up in week 3 and nothing has been the same since? IDK the answer.

He is still a young head coach for sure. He is currently 18-11 in regular season games and 1-1 in the playoffs. That ain't bad at all. I think the Baker injury has hurt the team but this team has been stung by the injury bug all season long. As fans we have expectations for our team. I think as players/coaches they have even higher expectations. Pressure is higher on this team to produce than last year. Hunter vs hunted mentality so to speak. Yesterday was not pretty in the 2nd half but how much of the offense especially with the lead was not available to the team with Njoku and Harrison out at TE? with Hunt out? Heck we have a back up right tackle for the rest of the season. The Ravens wre banged up but so were the Browns. If this teams wins 3 more ugly games I will be really really happy!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Yeah, it really ticked me off yesterday to hear about Baltimore's injuries and basically nada about the Browns.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Well there has to be a reason why the Ravens lost… it couldn’t be that the Browns just won.

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: WSU Willie, mgh888
Legend
Legend
Last year I thought we were supremely well coached. This year not so much. We do have more penalties and other teams have us playing left handed. It’s not nearly as easy for us to make splash plays. Bootlegs/misdirections are taken away. Run game isn’t as smooth.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by TrooperDawg
Yeah, it really ticked me off yesterday to hear about Baltimore's injuries and basically nada about the Browns.

To be fair, their injury situation is much worse than ours and ours is bad.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
Well there has to be a reason why the Ravens lost… it couldn’t be that the Browns just won.

We did. We played just well enough in the first half to outweigh our putrid second half performance. And that's all it takes to get a W.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
And no Troy Hill too, apparently.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bingo and spot on ! As I have said over and over again. Ski has taken the Baker out of Mayfield .

P
Legend
Legend
P
But only during the second half yesterday, right? So did Baker do so well despite Stefanski during the first half and so poorly because of Stefanski in the second half?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
But only during the second half yesterday, right? So did Baker do so well despite Stefanski during the first half and so poorly because of Stefanski in the second half?

I'm not picking sides here, especially since you're in one of your tunnel-vision moods with this, but you DO realize just how simple it is for exactly that to happen, right?
If Stefanski goes ultra conservative like he in fact did, it definitely hinders how the offense runs and how everyone plays.

Browns is the Browns

4 members like this: MemphisBrownie, archbolddawg, Dave
Legend
Legend
j/c...

I would really, really, REALLY like to know how our audible protocol works and what kind of options Baker has when he steps to the line. Has anyone ever offered any pertinent info where this is concerned?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by FATE
j/c...

I would really, really, REALLY like to know how our audible protocol works and what kind of options Baker has when he steps to the line. Has anyone ever offered any pertinent info where this is concerned?
I asked that during the game when baker didn't check out of a run against a 10 man box...it was ridiculous and was obviously a loss on the play

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I don't have anything concrete as confirmation, but I've read where he is very limited. Two plays are called in and that's all there is too choose from. When you hear him yelling some catch-phrase, that is them switching to the other play; usually calls of "REWIND" or "KILL" or something like that take them back to the original play. If neither play is good, then you're stuck with the lesser of two evils.

Browns is the Browns

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Kill, kill always results in a run play being executed.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Baker did express in his post-game presser that they went "conservative" in the second half. Wish he hadn't gone there, but "it is what it is."

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
We were too conservative and it almost cost us the game. I want to know why the NFL referees are helping the opposition and NOT throwing the flag when a DEFINITE penalty was committed. Video exists of a referee on the ONSIDES KICKOFF coached the Baltimore players to get closer to the line....preventing a running start, yet did not throw a flag due to this obvious breach. It would have wiped out their recovery......something is fishy and we keep getting the shape end of the stick. Go Browns!!!!

Last edited by hitt; 12/13/21 08:43 PM.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
A
Legend
Legend
A
I posted that video, probably in a different thread though.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is directed to you, MGH and Prp about penalties and discipline.
Another difference this year to last year is fans and the whole stadium experience.

That disrupts, communication, focus, added stress, vision, etc.

I am not saying it’s the main reason, but it has a piece in the whole pie.

2 members like this: oobernoober, mgh888
Legend
Legend
hopefully, they're all actually learning from it instead of looking at a 'W' and blindly thinking everything is ok.

To date, that hasn't been their M.O.
They've been pretty studious, and the analytics won't allow them to hide from their deficiencies.

I really think that these growing pains are stemming from all the injuries, forcing them to improvise with personnel, game-to-game matchups, etc. This team is not the team that played KC in Game One. If I take the long view of things, I could see where this season will actually help, as disappointing as some of these games have been.

It really is crunch time for a 2021 playoff run. And even as lackluster as some of these games have been, this team is one game out of first place. To me, that's pretty remarkable.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: bugs, WSU Willie
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
conservative ...pass pass pass punt...is what i saw

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
hopefully, they're all actually learning from it instead of looking at a 'W' and blindly thinking everything is ok.

They've been pretty studious, and the analytics won't allow them to hide from their deficiencies.

Agreed they seem capable of self reflection and honest evaluation. Doubtful they blindly think everything is ok. Also agree I think this season has been greatly impacted by injuries. But then that is absolutely part of every team's season every year. Learn and improve!

Regards to the clear philosophy - that I assume is analytics driven - that with a big lead, you are more likely to lose by continuing normal/aggressive play calling -vs- conservative play calling, reducing clock time for the opponent, reducing opportunities for big plays by the opponent at the expense of giving them softer coverages and nothing over the top....

The issue I see with that - especially for a young team - especially when you are dominating like we have in multiple games that where we let a big lead slip to a single score as time expires .... It is preventing the team from gaining momentum and confidence. It prevents the team from refining and perfecting the bread and butter plays, routes, play action etc that the team will need in other games later in the season. The result of the long drives we seed to the opponent is a loss of confidence by the D. A loss of momentum. A loss of the thrill of dominating. It gives the other team momentum. . . . The number of times we have clung on unconvincingly to a lead due to the conservative philosophy has done more to undermine confidence after a win than the potential benefit of walking of having given the opponent a true butt whopping. Just how I see it. This year and last.

Another potential angle: People have claimed Baker is mentally weak - the truth is the opposite in my opinion. When he throws a pick. He doesn't go into a shell. He comes out swinging with the same determination and focus as before the pick. When we threw a pick vs Ravens - Baker wasn't suddenly bad afterwards. And taking a 40 yard heave on a 3rd down play that results in an interception is really no different from an Punt by the Hammer. It might actually be a net gain.

Anyway just my .02 back at you.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

I'm not picking sides here, especially since you're in one of your tunnel-vision moods with this, but you DO realize just how simple it is for exactly that to happen, right?
If Stefanski goes ultra conservative like he in fact did, it definitely hinders how the offense runs and how everyone plays.

I'm actually not. Baker had a great first half. He blew chunks in the second half. What I realize is that you can only blame the passes delivered on the person throwing those passes. If your players play worse because they don't like the coaches game plan, that's on the players. You either give it your all on every down or you don't. Blaming the coach because your claim is that the players are mentally fragile is a non starter for me. It does change the game strategy, but if changing the game strategy effects the accuracy of your QB, the issue isn't with the coach.

#gmstrong
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes (Continued)

Link Copied to Clipboard