Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
SORRY.. might have quoted the wrong person

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This exactly!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Moxdawg
SORRY.. might have quoted the wrong person

Mox we are all the same on here , qoute one you qoute us all !! you'll be banned and enjoy it..lol just kidding !

1 member likes this: Moxdawg
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I would not dislike a pick like Chase, but it more likely will be another pick similar to Schwartz in the second through fourth rounds.

A good example is the Steelers. They drafted good receivers without using a first. Don't be shocked if Cleveland drafts another tight-end too.

Having two speed-receivers grouped with TEs and RBs is all that is needed.

A healthy Schwartz and People-Jones is not a bad combination. Schwartz needs playing time. I wonder if he is close to returning from his concussion.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bugs
I would not dislike a pick like Chase, but it more likely will be another pick similar to Schwartz in the second through fourth rounds.

A good example is the Steelers. They drafted good receivers without using a first. Don't be shocked if Cleveland drafts another tight-end too.

Having two speed-receivers grouped with TEs and RBs is all that is needed.

A healthy Schwartz and People-Jones is not a bad combination. Schwartz needs playing time. I wonder if he is close to returning from his concussion.
I would surely hope so about Schwartz

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bugs
Schwartz needs playing time.

Thought the same thing about Higgins

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I stop reading this thread on page two. I can't see how anybody could not love the fact that we did hang on, and the defense DID make the stop when needed to win the game.

I thought Baker played well, and can see that he is on the road to becoming healthier. I noticed that the coaches took the reigns off of him in the first half, and it worked.

I can't complain about a coach that goes conservative with a three score lead. I think if someone should be called out, it would be the defense for again making a back up QB look like a star. They let their gaurd down when Lamar went out, and it almost bit them in the behind.

Last game people complained about not giving the run game a chance, this week, he stuck with it, and now he is dumb for doing it. I even read someone bashing Chubb for stutter stepping. It is hard to run on Baltimore no matter who you are.

Those claiming we only scored because of the PI calls, hasn't paid attention to Rothlisberger for the last ten years. He has made a living out of throwing to a covered guy to draw the penalty, and it has worked many, many times. How many games have we lost because teams get first downs on sometimes, questionable calls. It's part of the game, and many teams win games because of them.

I think Huntley's fresh legs saved his butt a few times.

A win iis a win, no matter how it happens. I am not as negative about the way they played as many on here are. We needed a win, and got it. That is all that matters.

Cincy lost, the Raiders lost, Buffalo lost. It's anybodies guess who will get in at this point.

I hope somewhere in heaven, Ravenkiller is smiling and not reading the absolute negativity of this thread.

Still in the hunt.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
6 members like this: mamuhmia, 85_Browns_Queen, Homewood Dog
A
Legend
Legend
A
That's the bottom line. The Browns won. Not the ravens.

The Browns won, and many on here didn't give them a chance.

Turnovers and penalties tilted the game. In the Browns favor. Just as we've lost games to those same things.

Could it have been prettier? Yes, ANY win could be prettier. Who cares? The Browns won.

4 members like this: 85_Browns_Queen, Clemdawg, jfanent
Legend
Legend
Those claiming we only scored because of the PI calls, hasn't paid attention to Rothlisberger for the last ten years.

Yep. And they also didn't consider that if it weren't for the interference, the passes would probably have been caught.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Correct.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I listened to the game on radio today because my grandkids were over to decorate our tree and Christmas Cookies. So, I didn't see most of the game but have a question for the posters who know O-line play. How did James Hudson look at RT today? I had really high hopes for him when we drafted him this year.

Legend
Legend

This comment by Baker is what we have seen in almost every game we get a big lead in. It is my biggest complaint about Stafanski. We need to put the good teams away or it will bite us in the butt.

I am happy with the win. I think if we don't go conservative this game isn't close.

Positives...

Defensive line. Myles and Clowney showed up big but the interior lineman did a great job of staying in their rushing lanes, not allowing A lot of yards on QB runs.

Ward. When healthy he is a top 10 corner. He was healthy today. He made a couple of big hits today as well as great coverage

JOK. He continues to flash all over the field.

Hudson. He showed quite a bit of improvement, especially going against a speed rusher like Oweh. I read somewhere that he only gave up two pressures.

Mayfield. Had a very good first half. He looked healthy with three running first downs.

DPJ. 5 catches for 90 yards. Made an incredible catch and toe tap.

There were plenty of negatives but I'll leave those to others for now.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
I listened to the game on radio today because my grandkids were over to decorate our tree and Christmas Cookies. So, I didn't see most of the game but have a question for the posters who know O-line play. How did James Hudson look at RT today? I had really high hopes for him when we drafted him this year.

I didn't focus on him but he grades out with only two pressures. No penalties on him which is an improvement.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There was a point in the game where the announcers were talking about how injuries have devastated the rats. A short time later, they were talking about the Browns injuries and said that it's just something all teams have to deal with.

This is why lots of CLE fans mute the TV, and listen to Jimmy & Deik.
I've tried it, but I hate the timing glitch.

2 weeks ago, we had to burn a solid 1.5 hours of our lives listening to Chris Collinsworth slurp Lamar Jackson's backside. Midway through the 3rd quarter, my stomach turned.
It felt/sounded like watching one of our 4-12 teams in December.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: jfanent, Hammer
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Pdawg
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

I didn't focus on him but he grades out with only two pressures. No penalties on him which is an improvement.

Thanks, Pdawg.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I don’t know the draft we’ll enough to say.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Playoff Teams play killer instinct football.

The Browns had 4th and 4 or less, with a 24-6 lead, at their own 45ish yard line. BUT.
They had just gotten a bunch of yards on a throw away play for a handoff after a penalty.

The Browns, THE PLAYOFF BROWNS, on offense, needed to Go for that, Continue that drive, GET the 4 yards, and get a touchdown to go up 31-6
That's what teams that actually make the playoffs do with their offense.

They Don't play percentages. Analytics are for losers! Analytics loses on game days.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
We can account for two Ratbird fans (hint: one is named Green) announcing our game in the booth. We really should get more love. What one-sided coverage. LJ got a bunch of air time, even after being ruled out, but no props for any good we managed. Our Chubb for two is killing us. And KS is predictably putting us behind the sticks in the second half. Wake up. A backup almost whipped us again.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
A win sure feels good on a Monday morning no matter what all the negative posters want to rant about on Sunday.

Yes - still concerning the way Stefanski doesn't adjust and gets conservative after the half. It's a pattern we have seen throughout his entire time as a Browns play caller. It's funny - the Baker detractors want to pin everything on Baker, yet in the first half he was 80% completion and I guess the theory is that he was lucky, or he forgot how to play, or the other team had enough tape on him from the first half to shut him down. . . .

Hope we can stay healthy and Covid free from here on in. I think we can beat the Raiders who are in a tail spin. We can beat the Steelers. I will be expecting to lose to GB and I believe the playoffs and the division will all come down to the final game of the season.

A few weeks ago when Baker looked broken and we couldn't do anything on offense - I would have taken that scenario. I still will.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1st String
1st String
Way too many negative posts after a W. I used to care about style points in the beginning, but at this rate, I don't care anymore about Style wins. A win is a win and I'll take it anyway we can get it. I saw us damn near blow it at the end and the defense stepped it up when it mattered most. So proud of those guys. I still want way more out of our offense but we Won. We are the only victors in our division this week. That is HUGE!

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Lamar was under pressure.

Honestly, Huntley did more than what Lamar was doing before the injury.

Huntley made some big throws. He was hard to tackle. He played very well.

Going way back in the day. I have always felt a quarterback who can run effectively can really hurt you.

When you have a third and long and have an empty backfield. The defense has the advantage because the situation dictates how to play defense.

A quarterback who can go back to pass. Look; then tuck it and run for a first down. That can be so demoralizing.

I am glad to win this game and stay relevant.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I could see a QB controversy over there at some point. Huntley isn't the athlete Lamar is, but he's a dual threat just the same, and passes better.

And I think teams have figured out Lamar. As long as you contain him and keep him from killing you with his legs, you can beat him. He passes well enough to compete, but without the constant threat of his legs, he is very inconsistent moving the ball. Take away Lamar's run threat and Huntley is a better option from what I saw.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 12/13/21 10:14 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Yeah, I could see a QB controversy over there at some point. Huntley isn't the athlete Lamar is, but he's a dual threat just the same, and passes better.
Huntley surely looked good (he won in Chicago too). The thing that saved us was his fumbles. Huge plays in our favor.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think we miss Oganjobi

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
62% pass plays in the first half. 43% pass plays in the second half. That points to putting the brakes on. Trying to shorten the game and not make mistakes. That works fine when Chubb and Hunt are effective and getting chunk plays, when, like yesterday, they are ineffective, it's a recipe for disaster.

This is the first game I've tracked this, but anyone that's watched this team since Stefanski took over knows this is a pattern we've seen. I'm not advocating for Stefanski to give up play calling, but I would like him to self scout and maybe develop a little bit more of a killer streak.

1 member likes this: 85_Browns_Queen
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Playoff Teams play killer instinct football.

The Browns had 4th and 4 or less, with a 24-6 lead, at their own 45ish yard line. BUT.
They had just gotten a bunch of yards on a throw away play for a handoff after a penalty.

The Browns, THE PLAYOFF BROWNS, on offense, needed to Go for that, Continue that drive, GET the 4 yards, and get a touchdown to go up 31-6
That's what teams that actually make the playoffs do with their offense.

They Don't play percentages. Analytics are for losers! Analytics loses on game days.
Disagree. When an offense has done almost nothing against you, you don't risk giving them the ball at midfield by going for it on 4th and 5 with a 3 score lead.

And let's not forget, we punted and pinned them back inside the 1.... but "holding on the long snapper"... pinning them inside the 1 could have equally been a game changing play, safety, turnover, forced punt to get us the ball on their side of the 50...

Punting was the right call. If it was 4th and 1 or 2... maybe. But not 4th and 5.

And you can't blame analytics for that..... punting is what every team would have done in that situation going back decades...

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 12/13/21 10:40 AM.

yebat' Putin
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by ryan20662
62% pass plays in the first half. 43% pass plays in the second half. That points to putting the brakes on. Trying to shorten the game and not make mistakes. That works fine when Chubb and Hunt are effective and getting chunk plays, when, like yesterday, they are ineffective, it's a recipe for disaster.

This is the first game I've tracked this, but anyone that's watched this team since Stefanski took over knows this is a pattern we've seen. I'm not advocating for Stefanski to give up play calling, but I would like him to self scout and maybe develop a little bit more of a killer streak.
Both Mayfield and Chubb expressed some frustration in the postgame about how the pass first offense was working until we got conservative and stopped using it. Chubb stated that the passing game was opening up holes for the running game, then we stopped.

I thought the biggest difference between this week and 2 weeks ago was that in the first half, we were effective at the quick passing game on early downs, getting 6 or 7 yards (or more), putting us in manageable situations which prevented them from just pinning their ears back

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
It's Football 101, isn't it? If they're crowding the box, you open that up by passing. You loosen them up by pulling the defense deeper and to the outsides.

Trent mentioned that at least on one play they had 10 in the box. As a play caller, how do you look at things like that and NOT try to get behind that defense, especially knowing that they're missing half their secondary??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
It's Football 101, isn't it? If they're crowding the box, you open that up by passing. You loosen them up by pulling the defense deeper and to the outsides.

Trent mentioned that at least on one play they had 10 in the box. As a play caller, how do you look at things like that and NOT try to get behind that defense, especially knowing that they're missing half their secondary??
I don't know if it was play design or just better execution but even when we tried to throw on early downs 2 weeks ago, Baker seemed to be holding the ball waiting for an open guy... this week the ball was coming out a lot quicker, which is why it worked.

I watched at a bar with no audio.. but I do remember a play where we had 9 guys essentially on the LoS, going from left to right with WR, TE, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, TE, TE.. all shoulder to shoulder in a line (a couple off the LoS for formation purposes but essentially in a row) with Baker and Chubb in the backfield so their entire defense was in the box with 1 safety a few yards back.. I was curious what we were going to do out of that formation... we ran into a brick wall. Very creative.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
I wonder if KS was being a HC and not a play caller ... if the "Hands Team" for the onside kick would have still included Taki and Janovich .... and I wonder if they'd be coached to look at the ball? Just a thought as I read more.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by ryan20662

Great point that is exactly what happened.

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I swear I can see the discuss in Bakers face when comes off the field . He and Chubb ( of all people ) saying something about the play calling should send chill's down Berry's spine . The fact the Baker can't audible is just NUTS !

As I have stated time and time again , Ski's Pass route design on many plays is atrocious . The long play to DPJ was on missed coverage by the rats , plain and simple. By the way , as I mentioned on another thread , their TE had 11 catches for like 115 yards . After two seasons at the helm of the Defense , he still has not addressed this glaring problem . We were a sack away from losing .

Thrilled by the win for the Team as they played hard.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Special teams, special teams, special teams.

This game was one-sided until special teams decided otherwise, plain and simple.

1. Colquitt pins them to the 1 early in the 3rd quarter - holding on long snapper - beautiful.
2. Colquitt puts punt down inside 5 and gunner runs into ball and knocks in the end zone - beatiful.
3. Up 15 points - 40 yard FG attempt to put team up 3 scores with 11 minutes left in game (game over Johnny) and misses - beautiful.
4. Onside kick attempt - very few successful and yet we allow Ravens to be successful because "hands team" guy decides to catch ball with his helmet - beautiful.
5. Tucker kicks 50+ yard field goals all day long like they are 20 yard chippees (pressure situations included). Our POS placekicker craps his pants just about every time.

As for the 2nd half offense. We had 2 possessions of the ball in the 2nd half, prior to 7 minutes left in the game. Both possessions we moved the ball, once to midfield and stalled due to holding call on Johnson run which would have put us around Ravens 40, and the other we drove to Ravens 23 and the idiot FG kicker missed 40 yarder to put us up 3 scores with 11 minutes left in game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Glanced at snap counts posted up on Twitter.

Higgins logged 24 snaps, but I didn't notice him out there. He had more snaps than Hance as a 6th lineman and our FB (barely), as well as Felton, Natson, and our emergency TE call-up.

The Curious Case of Rashard Higgins will be one of those stories we read about after his time is done with the team.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Higgins, and all of our WRs, in general, are a complete mystery.
How pedestrian and hobbled this offense has become is a mystery.... and it goes way back before Baltimore. Even in the Cinci game, this offense was not really clicking. We had two big plays on offense and a defensive TD that made that game feel better than it was. We're like a V-8 with three bad cylinders. We're still running and pulling along, but we aren't even remotely close to being the way we should be.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Glanced at snap counts posted up on Twitter.

Higgins logged 24 snaps, but I didn't notice him out there.

I saw him congratulate Landry on a first down catch. Honestly, that was about it for me.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Glad with the win.

O needs to be revamped.

Why don’t we cover Mark Andrews on 4th and 5????

It’ll be interesting to see the Ravens performance from here on out.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
They said the Ravens hadn't recovered an onside kick in 20 years. That's when I knew it was about to happen.

I call that the announcer’s curse. Happens with regularity.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's just like that game we had with the Pats at their place 7 or 8 years ago. They scored then went for the onside kick and one of our up front guys just dropped the ball. The Pats recovered and Brady threw a game winning last second pass. It was the game Josh Gordon tore the Pats secondary up.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 12/13/21 12:55 PM.
Legend
Legend
Why don’t we cover Mark Andrews on 4th and 5????
4th and 11 we allowed him to run straight down the field and catch it at about 8 yards, then stumble forward untouched for the first down. Our DBs looked like they weren't even ready for the snap, they were all standing 10-15 yards downfield. Then inside the 5, we had 4 guys in the general area watching him run through them to be wide open behind them.

Then on the goal line we are rushing players onto the field (late) because we had the wrong personnel on the field..

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 12/13/21 12:56 PM.

yebat' Putin
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 Ravens 22 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard