Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Legend
Legend
P
I see. So these are the same play callers that led us to the playoffs last year and now they suddenly suck. Got it.

Here's the thing. Everyone praised and carried on about analytics. And they love analytics when it looks the way they want it to.

What would you like to bet that when going into half time with a 24-6 lead that the analytics indicate you should play conservative in the second half? I mean your defense only gave up six points to them the entire first half. Do you honestly believe that analytics tells you to come out and play aggressive with that lead in the second half?

So it's your contention because players don't like playing conservative football that tells you the story? No, it doesn't. Haslam pays millions of dollars to people that are experts in analytics every year. They break down every situation. They call the game according to those analytics. Just because the players don't like it and the fans don't understand the reasons why they call the game the way they do doesn't change any of that.

That's why the fans and players don't make millions to study the analytics and game plan based on them.

If you think your explanation is really some excuse for a QB throwing for 42% of his passes, I would say desperation has set in when searching for an excuse.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And just a few weeks before, a healthy Baker Mayfield was 19-21..... but let's not discuss that either.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You mean the same Baker that had already suffered the injuries people claim keep him from playing well now? I've always said we've seen good Baker and bad Baker. I guess you decided not to read that part.

But since you brought up good Baker. We saw good Baker in the first half and bad Baker in the second half. It was like watching two different QB's in the same game. And in case you missed it, he had the same injuries in both halves.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I see. So these are the same play callers that led us to the playoffs last year and now they suddenly suck. Got it.
I didn't say they suck.. I said the NFL now has over a year and a half of film on them and has figured out their tendencies and they seem to have struggled to adjust to what the defenses are now doing to stop them.

Here's the thing. Everyone praised and carried on about analytics. And they love analytics when it looks the way they want it to.

What would you like to bet that when going into half time with a 24-6 lead that the analytics indicate you should play conservative in the second half? I mean your defense only gave up six points to them the entire first half. Do you honestly believe that analytics tells you to come out and play aggressive with that lead in the second half?

So it's your contention because players don't like playing conservative football that tells you the story? No, it doesn't. Haslam pays millions of dollars to people that are experts in analytics every year. They break down every situation. They call the game according to those analytics. Just because the players don't like it and the fans don't understand the reasons why they call the game the way they do doesn't change any of that.
I'm on record as having no problem with analytics IF AND WHEN it is applied by people who are also considering game situations and who understands his own team. There are total NFL analytics that you can study and use but they don't all apply to OUR TEAM in every situation... By your assertion above, you or I could coach the team and call the plays because they are being spit out of an algorithm somewhere based on nothing but data.

How many times last year did we blow out a team in the first half only to need to scramble to recover an onside kick in the final minutes to cling to a victory? I remember the Cowboys and Titans games and I believe there might have been one or two more. We've done it this year, we lost to the Chargers after having a 3 score lead... and it happened again against the Ravens... we let teams back in games.. it's a tendency, it's a habit...

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet the coaching staff used that strategy and still won. Style points and the margin of victory have no factor in the W/L column. Only the W. And you call it a habit, which it very well may be, but it''s created far more W's than L's. Here are some facts. Short passes have a higher completion rate than long passes. Running the ball helps run the clock down and generally lead to less turnovers. Long passes have a higher int. ratio.

Those all work the exact same way for the Browns. It seems your issue is more about how we didn't blow teams out in the second half when we still won the game by playing more conservative when every indicator shows that's exactly the strategy that should be used in the second half when you have a big lead.

#gmstrong
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 Ravens 22 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard