Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1915126 12/28/21 08:38 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
RIP Coach.

John Madden dies: Hall of Fame coach, NFL icon passes away unexpectedly at age 85 - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...icon-passes-away-unexpectedly-at-age-85/

NFL legend John Madden unexpectedly passed away Tuesday morning. The Hall of Fame coach, broadcaster and video game creator was 85 years old.

"On behalf of the entire NFL family, we extend our condolences to Virginia, Mike, Joe and their families," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "We all know him as the Hall of Fame coach of the Oakland Raiders and broadcaster who worked for every major network, but more than anything, he was a devoted husband, father and grandfather.

"Nobody loved football more than Coach. He was football. He was an incredible sounding board to me and so many others. There will never be another John Madden, and we will forever be indebted to him for all he did to make football and the NFL what it is today."

Madden compiled a .759 winning percentage as the Raiders coach, the highest percentage in league history among coaches that have won 100 games. During his 10 seasons as the Raiders head coach, Madden led Oakland to the playoffs eight times. The Raiders appeared in seven AFC title games under Madden that included five straight from 1973-77. And after falling short in his first five AFC title games, Madden and the Raiders finally broke through in 1976.

After a 13-1 regular season, the Raiders dethroned the Steelers -- the team that defeated Oakland in the previous two AFC title games -- to punch their first ticket to the Super Bowl. In Super Bowl XI, the Raiders dominated the Vikings behind a punishing rushing attack and equally devastating defense. Oakland received an MVP performance from Fred Biletnikoff, who set up three of the Raiders' four offensive touchdowns. The Raiders won 32-14, and Madden and the Raiders were champions for the first time.

"They can never take it away from you," Madden said of his Super Bowl win. "Maybe the fact that we chased it so long made it bigger to us. It was the greatest feeling in the world. There's nothing that can beat it."

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
He was my favorite. I have many happy memories watching football at Thanksgiving with family and he would always be on. He was the best.

RIP Mr Madden. This is very sad.

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
Just saw this. RIP JM.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
No one better with the telestrator.

RIP.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Big-Big name from back then.

May you rest in peace Mr. John Madden

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was my favorite also... He wanted to see grass hanging off their face mask or blood somewhere or they weren't playing hard enough. Real football times !

Madden ! you did so much for the game !

Legend
Legend
I used to love watching those teams when I was a kid, with Daryle Lamonica and Ken Stabler, with a young Madden sweating on the sidelines with the most intense look on his face going up against the likes of Hank Stram and Chuck Knoll. Those were great times. RIP.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
I'm going to remember him well.

He helped to shape not only NFL coaching, but also broadcasting style, a pro insider's color during games... and was one of the first of his generation to launch into corporate commercials:

Some gamers gonna pour out a cold one for him, as well.
Never dipped into the EA/Madden franchise, but even I was able to see what a juggernaut it was.

Best tributes to a man who carved his own path.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Living to 85, a life well lived.

Well done John, R.I.P.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Legend... RIP coach...

<><

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Anyone else remember John Madden on the air quoting, I believe a coach's pre-game or halftime speech saying, "Don't worry about the horse being blind, just loan the wagon".

Loved his color analysis and he appears a lot in an old Showtime documentary about the AFL's ten-year history. I have watched that several times on YouTube.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I never considered myself a big John Madden fan. I found him to be a rather odd and quirky fellow. But I did find him entertaining. He certainly knew how to coach and I found his commentating to be more humorous than anything else even when giving good insight. He then managed to team up with EA sports to bring his name front and center with an entirely new generation to keep his name relative to many who would otherwise never known of him.

I certainly think he had a life well lived. He accomplished a goal most people can only dream of. And I'm not speaking about his accomplishments as a player, a coach, a commentator or anything else. I'm talking about this statement he made about his life.

“If you think about it, I’ve never held a job in my life. I went from being an NFL player to a coach to a broadcaster. I haven’t worked a day in my life.”

He had a life where during his entire career he worked in a profession that was his passion. His job wasn't his work, it was what he loved. That's a full and happy life by anyone's standard. His name is known by people from 12 to 82 and beyond. Something very few people can say.

RIP John Madden

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
This is very sad.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

Summeral & Madden were NFL broadcasting for years and was a great era to be a fan.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Anyone else remember John Madden on the air quoting, I believe a coach's pre-game or halftime speech saying, "Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon".

Loved his color analysis and he appears a lot in an old Showtime documentary about the AFL's ten-year history. I have watched that several times on YouTube.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

O
Legend
Legend
O
Oh, Peyton Hillis....

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Love him or hate him (and few hated him) he was colorful and fun to listen too.. RIP John

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum John Madden Dies at 85

Link Copied to Clipboard