Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1915982 01/03/22 02:22 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Ashli Babbitt a martyr? Her past tells a more complex story

WASHINGTON (AP) — The first time Celeste Norris laid eyes on Ashli Babbitt, the future insurrectionist had just rammed her vehicle three times with an SUV and was pounding on the window, challenging her to a fight.

Norris says the bad blood between them began in 2015, when Babbitt engaged in a monthslong extramarital affair with Norris’ longtime live-in boyfriend. When she learned of the relationship, Norris called Babbitt’s husband and told him she was cheating.

“She pulls up yelling and screaming,” Norris said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press, recounting the July 29, 2016, road-rage incident in Prince Frederick, Maryland. “It took me a good 30 seconds to figure out who she was. … Just all sorts of expletives, telling me to get out of the car, that she was going to beat my ass.”

Terrified and confused, Norris dialed 911 and waited for law enforcement. Babbitt was later charged with numerous misdemeanors.

The attack on Norris is an example of erratic and sometimes threatening behavior by Babbitt, who was shot by a police officer while at the vanguard of the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol. Former President Donald Trump and his supporters have sought to portray her as a righteous martyr who was unjustly killed.

Trump has called her “an incredible person” and he even taped a posthumous birthday greeting to her in October. Trump has also demanded the Justice Department reinvestigate Babbitt’s death, though the officer who shot her was cleared of any wrongdoing by two prior federal investigations.

But the life of the Air Force veteran from California, who died while wearing a Trump campaign flag wrapped around her shoulders like a cape, was far more complicated than the heroic portrait presented by Trump and his allies.

In the months before her death, Babbitt had become consumed by pro-Trump conspiracy theories and posted angry screeds on social media. She also had a history of making violent threats.

Babbitt, 35, was fatally shot while attempting to climb through the broken window of a barricaded door leading to the Speaker’s Lobby inside the Capitol, where police officers were evacuating members of Congress from the mob supporting Trump’s false claim that the 2020 presidential election was stolen. She was one of five people who died during or immediately after the riot, including a Capitol Police officer.

On social media, Babbitt identified as a Libertarian and ardent supporter of the Second Amendment. Her posts included videos of profane rants against Democrats, COVID-19 mask mandates and illegal immigration.

Her Twitter account, which was taken down after her death, was rife with references to the QAnon conspiracy theory, which centers on the baseless belief that Trump has secretly battled deep-state enemies and a cabal of Satan-worshiping cannibals that includes prominent Democrats who operate a child sex trafficking ring.

“Nothing will stop us,” Babbitt tweeted Jan. 5. “They can try and try and try but the storm is here and it is descending upon DC in less than 24 hours....dark to light!”

Among Q followers, “The Storm” refers to the predicted day Trump would finally unmask the pedophile cabal, arrest and execute those deemed traitors and restore America to greatness.

Trump has repeatedly insisted Babbitt was murdered, and she has achieved martyr status among Trump supporters. Her name and likeness now appear on T-shirts and flags at pro-Trump rallies.

A Maryland personal injury lawyer representing Babbitt’s husband, Aaron Babbitt, has raised $375,000 through a Christian crowdfunding site and has threatened to file a lawsuit against the Capitol Police.

Key to that wrongful death claim is the contention that Babbitt, a former military police officer who was 5-foot-2 and weighed 115 pounds, would have peacefully surrendered had Capitol officers attempted to arrest her.

Aaron Babbitt declined to comment in October when a reporter knocked on the door of the San Diego apartment he shared with Ashli and another woman. In a June interview with Tucker Carlson of Fox News, Babbitt said he has been sickened by some of what he has seen written about his deceased wife.

“There’s never been a person who Ashli ran across in her daily life that didn’t love her,” said Babbitt, 40.

That is not how Norris felt about her.

Court records involving the violent 2016 confrontation between Babbitt and Norris have previously been reported by media outlets, including the AP. But Norris, now 39, agreed to speak about it publicly for the first time in an interview with the AP and shared previously unreported details. She also provided documents and photos from the crash scene to support her account.

Norris was in a six-year relationship with Aaron Babbitt when she said she learned he was cheating on her with a married co-worker from his job as a security guard at a nuclear power plant near the Chesapeake Bay. She eventually found out the other woman was Ashli McEntee, who at the time went by the last name of her then-husband.

“He was telling me about this foulmouthed chick that’s on his shift, blah, blah, blah,” Norris recounted. “Come to find out a few months later ... they were basically having this relationship while they were at work.”

When she learned of the affair, she reached out to Babbitt’s husband, Timothy McEntee.

“You know, I was trying to keep my home life together,” she said.

Norris said she tried for a few months to salvage her relationship with Aaron Babbitt before finally deciding to move out of their house. Within days, Norris said, Ashli moved in.

A few weeks later, Norris was waiting at a stop sign in Prince Frederick, about an hour southeast of Washington, D.C., when she says a white Ford Explorer passed her going the other direction.

Norris saw the SUV pulling a U-turn before speeding up behind her. She recounts that the SUV’s driver began swerving erratically, laying on the horn and attempting to pass a Chevrolet Suburban that was in between them on the narrow two-lane road.

When the driver of the Chevy pulled over, Norris said the white Ford SUV accelerated and rammed into her rear bumper. She said the SUV rammed her a second time and then a third, all while the vehicles continued to roll down the road.

After Norris dialed 911, an emergency dispatcher advised her to pull over to the shoulder and stop. As she waited for help, Babbitt got out of her vehicle and came up to Norris’ driver’s-side window, banging on the glass.

Norris said the force of the impact caused her seatbelt to lock tight, preventing her from getting out of her car. Within minutes, deputies arrived.

A case report from the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office obtained by the AP shows Ashli Babbitt was issued a criminal summons on charges of reckless endangerment, a misdemeanor defined under Maryland law as engaging in conduct “that creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another” and punishable by up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine. She was also charged with malicious destruction of property for the damage to Norris’ vehicle.

Court records show those charges were later updated to include traffic offenses — reckless driving, negligent driving and failure to control a vehicle’s speed to avoid a collision.

Photos from the scene provided to the AP by Norris show Babbitt’s white Ford Explorer with its front bumper smashed in. The SUV’s grill is also pushed in and the hood dented. The rear bumper of Norris’ Escape is pushed in on the passenger side, with the detached Maryland license plate from the front bumper of Babbitt’s SUV wedged into it.

Following the altercation, Norris and a friend went to the courthouse in neighboring St. Mary’s County, where she lived at the time, and petitioned for a peace order, a type of restraining order, against Ashli Babbitt. The resulting judicial order barred Ashli Babbitt from attempting to contact Norris, committing further acts of violence against her and going to her home or workplace.

A copy of the order, dated the same day as the altercation, contains Norris’ contemporaneous account of what occurred, as written down by her friend. Norris’ hands were still shaking so badly she couldn’t write down what happened for herself, according to a note on the document.

In the weeks after the incident, Norris said, Babbitt falsely claimed to authorities that the collisions had occurred when Norris repeatedly backed her vehicle into Babbitt’s SUV. But when the case went to trial, Norris said, Babbitt changed her story, admitting under oath that she had collided with Norris’ vehicle but portraying it as an accident.

No transcript from the hearing was available, but Norris said the lawyer defending Babbitt made repeated references to her employment at the local nuclear power plant and years of military service, which included deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. Babbitt served on active duty with the U.S. Air Force, and then in the reserves and the Air National Guard until 2016. A judge acquitted Babbitt on the criminal charges.

In February 2017, records show Norris asked for and received a second peace order against Ashli Babbitt, citing ongoing harassment and stalking. In a handwritten petition, Norris says that Babbitt had recently followed her home from work and that she had also received repeated calls in the middle of the night from an unlisted number.

“I lived in fear because I didn’t know what she was capable of,” Norris told the AP. “I was constantly looking over my shoulder.”

In 2019, Norris filed a personal injury lawsuit against Ashli Babbitt, seeking $74,500 in damages, and she said she settled out of court with Babbitt’s insurance carrier for an undisclosed sum.

By then, Aaron and Ashli had moved to California, where she grew up and still had family. Timothy McEntee was granted a divorce in Maryland in May 2019. McEntee did not respond to voicemails and messages left at his home.

Ashli posted on Facebook that she married Aaron Babbitt the following month. Records show the couple owned a pool cleaning service with Ashli’s brother. When a reporter visited the business the day after her death, a large sign on the locked door declared the building to be “Mask Free Autonomous Zone Better Known as America.”

In the year since Babbitt’s death, Trump and many Republicans in Congress have sought to recast the Jan. 6 insurrection as nonviolent — a contention directly contradicted by hours of video footage and the public testimony of Capitol Police officers, 140 of whom were injured in the melee.

In his video on Babbitt’s birthday, Trump also said: “Together we grieve her terrible loss. There was no reason Ashli should have lost her life that day. We must all demand justice for Ashli and her family, so on this solemn occasion as we celebrate her life, we renew our call for a fair and nonpartisan investigation into the death of Ashli Babbitt.”

Aaron Babbitt’s lawyer, Terrell Roberts III, did not respond to numerous phone messages and emails seeking comment. But in written statements to the media, he has said her shooting “was tantamount to an execution without trial.”

“Given her background as a 14-year veteran of the Air Force, it is likely that Ashli would have complied with simple verbal commands, thereby making the use of any force unnecessary,” Roberts said.

The Capitol Police officer who shot Babbitt, Lt. Michael Byrd, said in a televised interview in August that he fired as a “last resort.” When he pulled the trigger, he said, he had no idea whether the person jumping through the window was armed.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia cleared Byrd of wrongdoing in April, concluding that he acted in self-defense and in the defense of members of Congress. The U.S. Capitol Police announced in August that they had also cleared Byrd.

“I tried to wait as long as I could,” Byrd said. “I hoped and prayed no one tried to enter through those doors. But their failure to comply required me to take the appropriate action to save the lives of members of Congress and myself and my fellow officers.”

https://apnews.com/article/ashli-babbitt-capitol-siege-a15c7e52a04d932972b7a284c7a8f7df

Hey Swish, you know how they delve into the past of black victims to soil their rep? This TRUTH REVEAL pretty much happened on autopilot, and the girl they raised up and praised was little more than a trash ass troublemaker with mental issues. And this article more or less spells out the perrils of following the cult of Trump. Yet the truth of all of this Trumpian coolaid club treachery is that the majority of them are misled mental cases. And that description fits many on this board, as well as those I see locally. Idiots.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Martyr? More like put down like a rabid dog.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, we can start by understanding the definition of martyr.

A martyr is someone that suffers persecution and death for advocating, renouncing, or refusing to renounce or advocate, a religious belief or cause as demanded by an external party. In the martyrdom narrative of the remembering community, this refusal to comply with the presented demands results in the punishment or execution of an actor by an alleged oppressor.

She was not a martyr. She was an insurrectionist that broke the law and paid the price with her life for being gullible and mislead.

Believing in Q does not qualify, it is simple stupidity. Although I guess some would call it a cult/religion in some twisted sense.

That said, they did the same thing to George Floyd. Their past is really irrelevant to the circumstance of their death.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
Martyr? More like put down like a rabid dog.

Pitiful.

I am glad the same comment wasn't made about some of the other people shot by law enforcement.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
She was an insurrectionist. She violently entered the Capitol building with intent to cause harm to Congress people. She was snuffed out for her actions. Much like a dog that attacks children.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Plenty of remarks like that have been made about "other victims of law enforcement."
Sometimes, I get the impression that we read two different message boards at this web address.

Go back and look at the video from that day. ANY video.
Rabid dogs were everywhere. It's a wonder more weren't put down.

I find it a pity that you feel the need to rip on Portland while ignoring the very behavior that earned Babbitt her third eye, and brought over 700 criminal cases.
Tribe & team should be reserved for other, more worthy examples. These people actively betrayed the country and its constitution. They betrayed you, too, even though you've been caping like you're their team captain.

"Fight for Trump"
"Hang Mike Pence"
sounds nothing like "For God & country."

They should all swing in the breeze for what they did.
Else, why bother having laws that deal with sedition and treason at all?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
What was she doing at the Capital? Let me tell you, she was breaking the law....Decision is easy,,,,, She was killed by an officer doing his job..

All the whitewashing in the world won't change that.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Team captain?? Not sure how you come up with that.

Whatever...

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
So, you choose to cherry-pick one statement from my entire post and use it to 'play dumb?'

Whatever, yourself.

You know exactly what I was saying.
The rest of the post is still there... unaddressed.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
So, you choose to cherry-pick one statement from my entire post and use it to 'play dumb?'

Whatever, yourself.

You know exactly what I was saying.
The rest of the post is still there... unaddressed.

That's what people do when you've spelled out what they are.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Why are we even still talking about this?

Capitol Police barricaded members of Congress in a room, and she was climbing through a window trying to get to them. He had his gun drawn and yelling at her to stop and she didn't. What else is supposed to happen in this situation?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Capitol Police barricaded members of Congress in a room, and she was climbing through a window trying to get to them. He had his gun drawn and yelling at her to stop and she didn't. What else is supposed to happen in this situation?

I agree on both fronts.

My only real disgust is the hate in some people's hearts as evidenced by some of the comments in here.

Thanks for the sensible comment, Oobs.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I can only speak for myself on this next part, but I don't have hate for her. She was clearly not of sound mind (apparently moreso than I previously understood, given the article just posted) and died because of it.

What I think you're referring to when you say "hate in some people's hearts" is toward the people that are trying to prop her up as some sort of symbol or martyr, as mentioned earlier. Even then, I wouldn't say I hate those people. My reaction is more of a "yo, you for real?" If those people want to double down on the whitewashing, then I just point out that her own poor judgement (I think my earlier description was 'stupidity') led to the violent end of her life, and I don't feel one ounce of regret saying so.

I don't have hate towards her, nor do I have sympathy.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: dawglover05
E
Legend
Legend
E

Tackle her? You don't use deadly force unless your life or someone else's is in jeopardy.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Tell that to the Secret Service, Capitol Hill Police, or personal security teams for these elected officials. Deadly force is always authorized when you are protecting VIPs.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Cop didn't know if she was armed or not.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Tell that to the Secret Service, Capitol Hill Police, or personal security teams for these elected officials. Deadly force is always authorized when you are protecting VIPs.

No it's not.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
Cop didn't know if she was armed or not.

You can't use deadly force based on guesses.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Really? Then do tell, HOW IS SHE DEAD? Give it a rest. She got what she got, because she did what she did. There were many others who should have met deadly force that day but did not. Imagine the body count if that mob of insurrectionist had been predominantly BLACK. We'd still be counting bodies dropped.

E
Legend
Legend
E
She is wrongly dead. Obviously.

If they were black, your tears would flood the streets of washington because hypocrisy knows no bounds to libtards.

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
P
Legend
Legend
P
And to expound I think it's the perception of things that helps people determine their thoughts on it. I certainly don't advocate calling her a "rabid dog" but I understand why it was said. But here's what I mean about perspective. In Florida they're trying to pass a law where you can run over someone with your car if they are blocking a road during a protest. Now if that isn't treating someone like "a rabid dog" I don't know what is. So the act of treating someone like a rabid dog I have yet to see one Republican on this board stand up against even though that law was discussed on this board. They instead chose to lay in the shadows about it when it was brought up.

In a new poll 42% of Republicans "somewhat disapprove" of those who forced their way into the Capital. While only 34% "strongly disapprove" of it. Democrats by contrast show that 7% somewhat disapprove while 81% strongly disapprove. 85% of Democrats think it was an insurrection while only 21% of Republicans think it was. 47% of Republicans called what happened Patriotism and 56% of them said it was defending freedom. It's no wonder there's a stark difference between what some people "feel".

There's much more at the link.....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/january-6-opinion-poll-2022/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by EveDawg

If they were black, your tears would flood the streets of washington because hypocrisy knows no bounds to libtards.

And this is a perfect example of what's wrong with America.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P

Tackle her? You don't use deadly force unless your life or someone else's is in jeopardy.

HANG MIKE PENCE!

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

HANG MIKE PENCE!

Pretty sure that person was not on the capital police force.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

NOPE. I wouldn't care what color an insurrectionist is, traitors should die.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/04/22 04:04 PM.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

NOPE. I wouldn't care what color an insurrectionist is… taitors should die.

Some would say that the radial left socialists are traitors.

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
Some are ignorant.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

And just think, until Eve came along grown ups were actually having a discussion.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Nobody was having a discussion. Just a bunch of libtards spewing their marxist ideals.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
And some would be wrong. Seems us socialist are the only ones following the rules and acting like true patriots, while the likes of you cry, and the insurrectionist continue the slow, bigger, insurrection at the state level. Fascism is trying to get its foot in the door, and lib-tard-tarians want to usher it in. While you are pointing at me, the other three fingers are pointing at you, the true problem.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So now Oober is a libtard?

rofl

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Your really like dramatic hyperbole. You should be a writer for my soap.

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
You make for such an easy target.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
So do you. lwl

No Craps Given
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Everybody she can't outmatch mentally is a libtard to her. GOPers hate the educated, even the slightly educated in some cases… 'Cause smart people think different… or just because they are able to actually think.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So do you. lwl

You're so lame you can't even come up with your own material. And even the material you steal is weak.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My only real disgust is the hate in some people's hearts as evidenced by some of the comments in here.

... and still no response from you about the behavior of those involved in the Jan 6 assault on the Capitol. Plenty of disgust for us law-abiding citizens with opinions, though.

Don't bother now. You have enough mouth to chastise folks on this board, but are silent about people who attacked our democracy. Keep doing You. We all see.

P
Legend
Legend
P
A trick right out of Trump's playbook... "I love the poorly educated!"

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So do you. lwl

You're so lame you can't even come up with your own material. And even the material you steal is weak.

It really bugs you, doesn't it? Because Arch is right. lmao

No Craps Given
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Your really like dramatic hyperbole. You should be a writer for my soap.

Your politics could use some soap. Stinkin' thinkin' has got you nowhere. Hell, you're a libertarian, the laughingstock of American politics, and you want to act like others have it all wrong. I couldn't make that ish up if I tried! Maybe you are living in a soap opera of your own creation. “As the Eve lies”… a psycho babbler soap about the unrealistic worldview of a broom riding libertarian.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Ashli Babbitt a martyr?

Link Copied to Clipboard