Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1916867 01/04/22 12:07 AM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Obviously things need to change during the off-season.

What needs to change on the team?
What can we allow to stay the same?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
C
Legend
Legend
C
The entire coaching staff should be back.

4 members like this: PitDAWG, s003apr, oobernoober
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Agreed with cfrs, though I wouldn't mind an upgrade over Woods and Stefanski really needs to consider giving up play calling duties.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by clwb419
Agreed with cfrs, though I wouldn't mind an upgrade over Woods and Stefanski really needs to consider giving up play calling duties.

The defense played really well down the stretch. Keeping the defensive coordinator for a third straight year seems like a good idea.

5 members like this: PitDAWG, jfanent, CapCity Dawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chubb needed 30 carries!

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by shotty66
Chubb needed 30 carries!

Chubb needed to not get hurt in a meaningless game.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I think we need to bring back our coaches

We do need to make a change with out playcalling... it's too predictable.

Way, way too predictable.

I think we need more discipline

Unfortunately, it seems like van pelt is probably gone to coach in college or a team that will allow him to call plays.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Well, this says a lot 9&seasonId

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
After Baker's venting, Stefanski decided to expose him...

Saw the game tonight, BM placed himself in a bad spot. His mechanics were awful, his decision making atrocious.

By the way, we don't know if Chubb is 100%, my bet is that he is not... Difference is Chubb's ego allows him to stay on the bench and not cause problems for the team.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by rastanplan

Saw the game tonight, BM placed himself in a bad spot. His mechanics were awful, his decision making atrocious.

By the way, we don't know if Chubb is 100%, my bet is that he is not... Difference is Chubb's ego allows him to stay on the bench and not cause problems for the team.

Well, the team reps came out and said Chubb wasn't injured at halftime. Stefanski said after the game he was

Seems like some disconnections are happening

I'm curious to see if Chubb is injured or not.

Rodgers made comments about how bad the game planning was by lining up Hudson 1 on 1 all night and how the coaches needed to help baker

Obj dropped tons of balls before he was cut (still friends with bake) which seemed intentional

Landry looks unhappy to be here and dropped a sure td at the end of the game

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Well, the team reps came out and said Chubb wasn't injured at halftime. Stefanski said after the game he was

My guess is that Chubb was not 100% against GB also.

Stefanski made the Browns Chubb's team, I guess he does not care what BM thinks. If he didn't use Chubb to win those games was because he couldn't.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

My guess is that Chubb was not 100% against GB also.

Stefanski made the Browns Chubb's team, I guess he does not care what BM thinks. If he didn't use Chubb to win those games was because he couldn't.

Chubb only carries the ball 15 ish times a game... I think he has only carried 20 or more times in 5 games and no more than 23 touches a game all season.

not really chubbs team when he is on the bench 60% of the the time the offense is on the field.

rastanplan #1917059 01/04/22 02:17 AM
All Pro
All Pro

By the way, we don't know if Chubb is 100%, my bet is that he is not... Difference is Chubb's ego allows him to stay on the beb nch and not cause problems for the team.

If that’s correct then Stefanski needs to go or are you seriously suggesting that a HC is trying to make his QB to fail on purpose?

Regardless Baker or not. Kevin Stefanski is not the future. Great talker but not so much of a elite coach. Absolutely awful decision maker.

2 members like this: tastybrownies, OrangeHelmet
superbowldogg #1917063 01/04/22 02:28 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Obviously things need to change during the off-season.

What needs to change on the team?
What can we allow to stay the same?
It's not up to you. It's not up to the fans.

--------------

I think Donovan Peoples-Jones probably felt like he had no teammates and was alone on an island tonight. Not a good look for anyone that a player on your coaches team to be put in that position.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
superbowldogg #1917071 01/04/22 06:21 AM
Legend
Legend
I was happy with the defense the last half of the year. There’s some promise there

It’s hard to judge the offense with a bad/injured QB. It was basically a nightmare year for Baker .. and honestly he might not be back

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
superbowldogg #1917101 01/04/22 09:55 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is a tough one .... Stefanski has done a lot this season to put doubt in my head about him.

But I think I'm certain when I say that I do NOT want to fire the coaching staff and start over ....

I wish Stefanski would simply hand the play-calling over to his offensive coordinator.

Stefanski constantly has me scratching my head with his play calls .....

-Going empty set despite injuries to the OL and despite Baker being awful from that formation.
-Not running with Chubb enough.
-Not running D'Ernest more earlier this year when Chubb and Hunt were both hurt.
-Not enough boot legs or play-action early in games.
-Too many 4th down attempts early in the year when FG's would have helped.
-Too many 2-3 TE sets where we constantly run into 8, 9 and even 10-man boxes.
-Too predictable and conservative at the end of games.

I understand that a lack of talent at WR, and injuries to virtually everyone really hindered us at times, but every stinkin' team in the league had to deal with injuries. These guys get paid millions of dollars to figure out ways to execute and win games.

This coaching staff has a ton of film to study and soul searching to do for next season.

I was calling for Joe Woods head early in the season. We played soft and scared against Kansas City, then we played stupid against the Chargers, and then we were out hustled by a very average Patriots offense. The Chiefs and Chargers losses cost us dearly as we all now see.

With all this being said, the defense came on strong to end the year, and the offense still has good players and potential.

I want to see our TE/WR rooms get a big makeover in the off-season and Stefanski hand play calling over to an OC.

I hope the entire staff is brought back .... continuity/stability is important.

Regardless of how disappointing everything feels right now, we lost 6-games by 6-points or less this season.

We WERE competitive to a certain degree, just couldn't finish out games.

There is no need to clean house and replace the coaching staff and I hope AB and the Haslam's understand and agree with that.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
2 members like this: Hammer, mgh888
MrKelso #1917103 01/04/22 10:03 AM
Legend
Legend
I dont know what to think of Stefanski either. He’s shown to produce a detailed oriented, organized approach .. but this year it’s really fallen off the tracks. We are having SO many pre-snap penalties and don’t execute hardly anything.

You can’t look at last year’s Dallas/Tennessee games and think he’s a bad coach.

I’m kinda buying into the train of thought that he’s really exposing Mayfield to either get his own QB or to lower the cost of Mayfield’s contract

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
superbowldogg #1917108 01/04/22 10:15 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think some context is in order (especially on the heels of watching a game like that).

Stefanski has had to deal with a LOT this season. Lots of injuries, OBJ exit, Baker regression, etc. Having to start 4th-5th options at tackle for a run-based offense for large parts of the season was super tough.

So I do give him some credit. Past teams would've folded like a cheap tent months ago. The fact we were in it this late does deserve SOME credit. But despite all that, this entire team (top to bottom and everywhere in between) needs to take a long look in the mirror. Stefanski doing stuff like putting Hudson out there on an island all damn game vs Watt. Little to no adjustment while Baker is getting smoked. This is a coaching thread, so I won't get into Baker (can write a whole thing on that). You're preserving Chubb but you're putting Garrett out there with a groin. You lose Delpit and Ward at times during the game to injury, plus you've got Baker executing a sneak with all his injuries... while one of the highest-paid backups continues to watch.... what are we even trying to do here? No explanations makes sense because we aren't consistent. Chubb doesn't have an injury and then he does... and then you put him back out there and he plants that Steeler a couple feet into the grass. Johnson is our passing RB?

Seriously, what are we even doing out there?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
2 members like this: OrangeHelmet, mgh888
Dawgs4Life #1917180 01/04/22 01:44 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I dont know what to think of Stefanski either. He’s shown to produce a detailed oriented, organized approach .. but this year it’s really fallen off the tracks. We are having SO many pre-snap penalties and don’t execute hardly anything.

You can’t look at last year’s Dallas/Tennessee games and think he’s a bad coach.

I’m kinda buying into the train of thought that he’s really exposing Mayfield to either get his own QB or to lower the cost of Mayfield’s contr
act

Once again are you all serious about this?

That our HC Kevin Stefanski is deliberately trying to sabotaging the future of his QB. Exposing his own players weaknesses….
If that’s the case then he’s not any way near to being a elite coach and the Browns should quickly move on from such a rotten character.

Whatever the Brown’s organization think of Mayfield this approach is totally brainless. When you hear a elite QB like Aaron Rodgers question Stefanski’s judgement then you know we have serious problems. Other players in the NFL will pay attention to craziness like this. Whatever they think about Baker playing ability this is not how a HC should treat a player in his own team.

I think it’s time for Baker to move on for his own sake. Only a rotten organization use methods like this. I still support Cleveland Browns every day of the week but I will never forgive Kevin Stefanski if there is any truth in this.

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
Floquinho #1917181 01/04/22 01:46 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Stefanski was purposely putting Baker in bad spots to prove a point then he needs to be fired. I don't think that's what he was doing. Nothing in what we know about Stefanski's character would tell us he would do that.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Wrong thread

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/04/22 01:51 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Wrong thread

Last edited by cfrs15; 01/04/22 01:51 PM.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Kevin Stephanski is a very intelligent man,waay more intelligent than I.But I possess common sense,something KS doesnot appear to have.
If KS wants to continue as an OC,offer him the job and hire a real HC.
If he wants to be a HC,hire him an OC and than tell him to get out the way and let the OC coach.
i'm tired of watching idiotic play on the field and him with his head buried in the play sheet.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Yep...and he needs "his" QB to make it all work.

O
Legend
Legend
O
If Stefanski is half the analytics-driven, brutally-honest-and-accountable person that I/we think he is, then he knows his playcalling is a part of the problem.

add: I think the offensive scheme is good overall. You don't get the stills you see on Twitter with multiple receivers open, the TD throw last night where he had not 1 but 2 TEs open for miles in the EZ, etc. with a bad scheme. I think KS needs an extension of himself to call plays. He needs someone that is of the same mind as him in terms of what the offense is/isn't and situationally what they want to do. I think that person (if they exist) would have to be developed internally vs hired from the outside.

Last edited by oobernoober; 01/04/22 02:40 PM. Reason: finished thought

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by oobernoober
If Stefanski is half the analytics-driven, brutally-honest-and-accountable person that I/we think he is, then he knows his playcalling is a part of the problem.

What should he do differently? We ran the ball successfully basically the whole year. When asked to pass he had guys open more than basically every other team (according to PFF).

cfrs15 #1917243 01/04/22 02:57 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well, he could start with moving someone over to help out his 4th-rounder rookie tackle.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Well, he could start with moving someone over to help out his 4th-rounder rookie tackle.

Agreed.

cfrs15 #1917249 01/04/22 03:01 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Look, I'm not trying to make excuses for Baker and if yesterday taught us anything it's that fixing what's wrong with Baker won't a simple or short-term thing. I'm just saying that if we were to somehow replace Baker, even with a proven legit fQB vet, there are still problems left to deal with.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Look, I'm not trying to make excuses for Baker and if yesterday taught us anything it's that fixing what's wrong with Baker won't a simple or short-term thing. I'm just saying that if we were to somehow replace Baker, even with a proven legit fQB vet, there are still problems left to deal with.

My guess is that if we had a legit QB, or a not injured QB (?), then we would all feel very different about Stefanski.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Just curious....

If we had to choose one, what would people prefer:

A coaching change?
A QB change?

* Haha...this should have been a poll question.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 01/04/22 03:04 PM.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
But nobody actually has to choose one. I choose to keep the HC and QB that in combination took us to an 11-5 record last season with our QB being healthy next year.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
3 members like this: Day of the Dawg, Dave, EveDawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
Eh... I dunno, man.

True, nobody is saying 1 of Baker or KS has to be gone by week1 of next season. But I have a hard time believing this FO is going to do NOTHING for the QB position (could be as little as a trade back to accumulate picks in subsequent year for a tradeup) or draft a guy that needs to sit for a year.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe those are two different things all together. I believe a contingency plan is a smart thing given the circumstances. But given what we saw last year with that 11-5 record combined with Baker's injury this season, I don't think they plan to move on from either Baker or Stefanski unless Baker simply demands a trade. There's a difference between making a choice and having someone force your hand.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

O
Legend
Legend
O
But this is QB1. There's no such thing as 'sorta' enacting a plan to get someone new in. To have someone be in a position to step into the starting job in 2023, they probably have to start making moves this offseason (either accumulating draft picks, spending a high'ish pick in this draft, or prepping for the cap hit).

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
But nobody actually has to choose one. I choose to keep the HC and QB that in combination took us to an 11-5 record last season with our QB being healthy next year.

This I agree with 100%.

I mean - if Rodgers or Wilson was actually to come available, you do your due diligence for sure. Neither QB would come to Cleveland I believe, but if you can upgrade to a bonafide proven 'elite' QB, you do it if the cost is affordable. But as high on David Carr as some are - I don't see him as being an upgrade over a healthy Baker. Same with Cousins. And there isn't another FA that is worth even a mention.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
But this is QB1. There's no such thing as 'sorta' enacting a plan to get someone new in. To have someone be in a position to step into the starting job in 2023, they probably have to start making moves this offseason (either accumulating draft picks, spending a high'ish pick in this draft, or prepping for the cap hit).

I guess that depends on what you consider "a highish" pick. Then I think you would have to look at the success rate of QB's drafted at those positions. The odds really aren't very good and it's more like throwing darts than it is having a plan by drafting any QB beyond the first round. These numbers only date through 2017 but I think they tell a pretty glaring story.

Now let's look at little closer at the QBs.
Of the 122 QBs drafted in the last 10 years only 25 have been starters for at least half of their career.
The first round gives you a 63% chance of finding a starter.
The second round gives you a 27% chance, the third a 17% chance, then it really plummets from there with 8% in the fourth and 6% in the 7th.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015...tistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

Now it would certainly be my guess that by starter they simply mean someone who actually started at some point and nothing more than that.

But as you can see, even at that drafting a QB in round 2 greatly decreases your odds. So to me that's not really a "plan to draft a franchise QB of the future". More a hope that you drafted a QB who may be able to fill that role if need be.

As far as accumulating draft capital that's been shown to be a smart move often times regardless of whether you're doing it to stock up for a move to get a QB or not. I think that's something we could do "in case" we need a QB but not for the sole reason to get a QB. I consider both of those things contingency plans in regard to moving on at QB and neither being something to indicate you're set in stone.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by BCbrownie
Kevin Stephanski is a very intelligent man,waay more intelligent than I.But I possess common sense,something KS doesnot appear to have.
If he wants to be a HC,hire him an OC and than tell him to get out the way and let the OC coach.
i'm tired of watching idiotic play on the field and him with his head buried in the play sheet.

DITTO all above

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by OrangeHelmet
Originally Posted by BCbrownie

DITTO all above

Even the horrible grammatical mistakes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Coaching

Link Copied to Clipboard