Waiting for the day my name will mean something
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Jake Burns
@jake_burns18
As I sit here today. Divorce feels imminent.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1478236558704746502

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by cfrs15

So how about the other 15 games this year?

Let's look:

0 (injured)

How many other Pro Bowl level RBs have only 5 games where they broke 20 carries ...... especially when they gain 5.5 yards/rush?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Hayden Grove
@H_Grove
More Mayfield: “Do I believe I could play better? Absolutely. Do I believe there’s positions that we as an offense could’ve been put in that would’ve been better? Absolutely."

https://twitter.com/H_Grove/status/1478237484534403072

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think Tim Couch Qb. is somewhat of a class act. I think Gerrard Warren was a class DL.

I never saw Tim Couch, or Gerrard Warren hug a steeler quarterback midfield after a loss, on national television, like it was a wedding, while wearing a Cleveland Browns "" "" Uniform!

especially a steeler qb who brought so much dismay to the organization and city they represent for so many years.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Have to admit, that was pretty funny.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I got a feeling we will be looking for a coach and a QB once again, and I'm all for it.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
2 members like this: tastybrownies, atgolds
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Mayfield wears Black and Yellow and eats our lunch for the next 10 years?

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted by cfrs15

So how about the other 15 games this year?

Let's look:

0 (injured)

How many other Pro Bowl level RBs have only 5 games where they broke 20 carries ...... especially when they gain 5.5 yards/rush?

I wonder if there was some residual from Covid impacting Chubb. Remember Garrett was punk for a bit after recovery...

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

The make Baker beat you defense.

Legend
Legend
Our defense did about as well as possible … held up their end of the bargain for the latter part of the year

The offense is a trainwreck. The injuries ravaged us and changed our identity … add in the poor play of Hooper and the worst WR corp in the league and it’s not pretty.

In terms of Baker … certainly seems like the rift is too big to fix. Something’s rotten in Denmark. He’s gonna be gone.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I shut the game off before the half.

I have seen enough football in my life to know when a team has players going through the motions.

It was a pathetic performance. Baker played like he was shell shocked. Landry was loafing.

In the short time I watched it was so obvious that Hudson was beong overwhelmed. I keep thinking why are you not prepared for this mismatch?

Why is there not a TE helping? Why throw when their defense is sad against the run and Watt is playing against air?

Oh well at his point I will be waiting for baseball in april.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The defense tried; the rest were simply pathetic....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
A
Rookie
Rookie
A
Mayfield is the 7th best QB in the division. Baltimore has 3 quarterbacks better.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Bonefish, I think it is a legit question as to why Hudson had no tight end support helping him out. But wondering why he was not ready is not. If I remember his story correctly he was the uc draftee who was switched to offensive tackle two years before he was drafted. He played defense before that. He was not drafted because he was a skilled o lineman ready to play at the nfl level. He was drafted because they saw the physical tools that could be developed into a good offensive lineman.

I am certain he was expected to sit and watch and learn for a couple of years, not be matched up against an elite pass rusher in a big game. They may have seen him as conklin’s replacement in a couple of years, but not now.

It is stunning to see what 12 months has done to our offense. It is hard for me to believe that our injured qb is not a big part of the drop off. But it has sure been sad to watch.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c….

That game gave me flashbacks to Manziel’s first ever start against the Bengals.

Legend
Legend
I’m pretty damn beat up right now.” Baker said he’ll discuss with his agent/family whether he will play next Sunday vs. Cincy #Browns

"....with your agent and family?" Now there's a team player.

BM should have been yanked for the season after the first half of the Pats game. It was obvious he can't throw with that harness. Baker should have realized that he was hurting the team, and/or Stefanski should have had the balls sit him. The lame ass excuse that "the team Dr's cleared him to play only meant that his risk for further injury was minimized, not that he'd be able to perorm at a servicable level. I think we would have won a couple more games with our high paid backup. Mayfields stubbornness and horrible play, along with Stefanski's lack of a backbone destroyed this season. Their leadership has taken a huge hit.

Hooper cashed it in. Get rid of him.

Our line wasn't quite as bad as people were saying. Baker held the ball way too long and ran into sacks ala Colt McCoy. He was hesitating, it seemed like he was waiting for open receivers to run into coverage.

Contrary to what the gameday bawl babies say, I think our D has played admirably....given the situations they've been put in. Joe Woods is not the problem.

The steelers were so crappy that despite all this, we were in a position to take the lead in the 4th qtr.

I was actually kind of excited and looking forward to watching a football game. That pizz poor showing just sucked the life right out of me.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I had the same feeling watching our offense last night that I’ve had for the majority of 20+ years: pathetic. OL was horrible, excruciating QB play, no playmakers … no heart, penalties, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M
Shockingly bad. At every level.

I mean obviously Baker is the polarizing figure and gets the most attention. He played like poop. Period.

Stefanski called a horrible game. The cut of Peyton above asking why Chubb isn't in the game - he did that several times including the 2 minute drill to end the first half. He simply said "why isn't the best player for the Browns on the field?" ... he also said at ne point when the game was 7-0 or 10-0 ... "lets run the ball, run it run it run." Absolute insanity to be so pass happy against a team that [1] is bad against the run [2] Chubb was running for over 6 yards per carry [3] Your QB is playing like poop. [4] You have a swiss cheese left tackle going one on one against the best pass rusher in the NFL. . . . For all the Baker criticism that is richly deserved - Stefanski needs a double helping. That was simply Freddy-esque - and he looked like he was confused and out of his depth on the sidelines for the first time.

I do believe Stefanski wanted to ice the DPOY award and hand it to TJ last night. Job Done.

D came top play early. But time of possession probably killed us - at one point it was 5 minutes to 22 minutes or something close to that.

One more thing on the play calling - Eve mentioned it above, throwing everything to the left. Pretty sure Van Pelt stated 2 weeks ago that throwing it to that side with the harness on and Baker's injury was the harder side to throw to. wtf ?

Today certainly feels reminiscent of seasons past when the F.O and coaching and entire organization felt dysfunctional. It blows chunks.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Baker looked uncomfortable as he has for much of the season. IDK if it's the play of the OL or his WR's not getting open quick enough. He's just looked completely lost at times. I'm not sure what Stefanski is doing either by constantly putting us in a formation where we fail at (five wide empty sets) and by not running Chubb more. Bakers bread and butter were the boot legs and play action last year and it seems like we shifted away from that dramatically this year, especially the boot legs. Last night was hard to watch. Here are my other takeaways ....

#1 - Peoples-Jones can be a solid support receiver but he is not a #1
#2 - Landry is still an effective WR but his best days are behind him, also just a support receiver from here on out.
#3 - Hooper needs traded or cut. Slow and unreliable.
#4 - We need to prioritize signing another good backup swing tackle this off-season.
#5 - MD Stewart and Grant Delpit might be the best backup safety duo in the league, I really like both of them.
#6 - We desperately need to bring back Takk and Clowney. I think they did wonders for our pass rush this year when they were on the field together.

The obvious take away is that Baker likely needs to be replaced .... which breaks my heart a little bit to say.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
Good point about Delpit and Stewart. I dont want them playing as much as last night, but they are good fill in guys

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Mayfield wears Black and Yellow and eats our lunch for the next 10 years?
I would love this! Then we would all know it's been Stefanski the ENTIRE time. Lose the play calling duties or you are GONE. Period.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
-Hooper is such a middling TE, with such a fat contract...For a TE heavy scheme, he surely is disappointing. I'm def. looking for him to get restructured deeply, or he's out imo. Was a poor signing, the only TE we have whom can stretch the seam is NJoku, and well he's a FA this offseason.

-This offense is so slow, once again our players always seem a step slower than opposing teams. DPJ is our fastest WR, and in the norm of todays offense...He would be more along the lines of average in terms of speed. I know Schwartz has that great timed speed, but I said it time and time in draft talk...That Schwartz was the WR I wanted no parts with in the draft. Higgins is an afterthought, no longer clutch and he'll be gone this offseason. Landry was never a burner, and the combined rib and knee injuries the past two seasons, seemed to sap that little bit of suddenness he once possessed. Hoop and Bryant are plodders, and Njoku is likely out...and he's the only one who can create that needed space.

-I was so disappointed in James Hudson at RT, was eaten alive all day...I thought for sure we'd have some to aid him in with chip blocks on that side...NOPE! Coaches left him on that island alone, and he continued to be eaten alive and the offense suffered severely because of that.

-Whole Oline looked overwhelmed at times, Baker not getting the ball out quickly, did not help. But Oline did not look the par either.

-I'm sure everyone's mentioned Baker, so I won't get too deep into it. How the hell has he gotten this horrible, I mean I always saw him as a Jon Kitna versus the Drew Brees many acclaimed him as....But he's failing even further, I'm praying this is all injury related...But the decision making obviously isn't, and he seems to be miserable in that facet.

-Special teams has been another factor in this team's collapse. Poor kicks, punts, and we are always backed up in our own territory...It's hard to move the ball into scoring position, when you have even further to go than the norm...I think our coverage on returns has been pretty good, but we are just not getting it done in the other facets.

-You have to move the ball forward to score, we're always moving back even further with dumb pre snap penalties, or just dumb penalties in general. Team seems to lack accountability anymore, where is the leadership within this team?

-Besides the Baltimore game, this team has regressed after the bye week. Coaching included imo

-

Legend
Legend
I’d say Hooper is not even an average TE right now. His play last night warranted a benching.

I also agree about the STs … our kicking game has been an issue all year and our return game has to be bottom of the barrel too

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by tru_dawgs
has been pretty good, but we are just not getting it done in the other facets.

-You have to move the ball forward to score, we're always moving back even further with dumb pre snap penalties, or just dumb penalties in general. Team seems to lack accountability anymore, where is the leadership within this team?

-

Good points - on this, I had forgotten how infuriating it was to see a delay of game penalty on a Punt. Unreal.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
Originally Posted by bonefish
I shut the game off before the half.

I have seen enough football in my life to know when a team has players going through the motions.

It was a pathetic performance. Baker played like he was shell shocked. Landry was loafing.

In the short time I watched it was so obvious that Hudson was beong overwhelmed. I keep thinking why are you not prepared for this mismatch?

Why is there not a TE helping? Why throw when their defense is sad against the run and Watt is playing against air?

Oh well at his point I will be waiting for baseball in april.

I also turned the game off in 2nd Qtr. I could sense the front office could care less if we won these last two games. The season was over for us on Sunday so by losing out and not putting Chubb
at much risk by less carries, the Browns can get a higher draft pick. Teams do this but will never admit it. Us fans hate it but its business.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Overall, we were willing participants in a Big Ben lovefest/send-off. What a joke we are.

So many times last night I'm sitting there wondering "what are we even trying to do?" We come out passing vs the worst rush defense and when we do run, we're featuring Johnson... who is also our passing RB all of a sudden. Oh, Chubb is injured and we don't want to aggravate... yet we're still trotting Garrett and our banged up secondary out there (not to mention Baker, who executed a QB sneak late in the game), and DPJ was still returning punts.... so are we saving guys from a meaningless game or not? Baker had a 0 QBR through most or all of the second half. He looked about as bad as he ever has, featuring throws to receivers feet and triple/quadruple clutching. We leave Hudson on an island vs Watt... AND NEVER ADJUST. What the f was that?

Our punter hurt himself punting (credit: Mike Polk Jr). Dude kicked the ground and limped off the field.

Landry let an easy catch slip through his fingers.

Hooper is a joke. I seriously hope we are somehow able to restructure him or let him go. Other than Baker he was the worst offensive player out there. He's earned himself 3rd TE status behind Njoku and Bryant.

D played tough. Newsome has had a fantastic rookie year, but he got bailed out a TON by the refs. The guy never looked for the ball once in all those PBUs. He was begging for a flag.

Clowney played with heart. So dumb to throw the shoe, but he was one of a very few Browns playing with any sort of intensity that I'm tempted to overlook the misconduct flag.

Speaking of flags, other than the most egregious no-flag ever on the obvious Watt taunt, I thought the refs let the players play for the most part. I also think they were giving us some help on some no-calls and DPIs later in the game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Wasn't it pretty obvious that Chubb got put on ice because the game was meaningless?
No, it wasn't obvious. Stefanski has said numerous times in response to the "Where was Nick Chubb?" question that Chubb is not in most of the pass play packages because he's not the "pass catching back"... Well when we were passing on 80% of our plays, that means that BY DESIGN, Nick Chubb is not on the field.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
Wasn't it pretty obvious that Chubb got put on ice because the game was meaningless?
No, it wasn't obvious. Stefanski has said numerous times in response to the "Where was Nick Chubb?" question that Chubb is not in most of the pass play packages because he's not the "pass catching back"... Well when we were passing on 80% of our plays, that means that BY DESIGN, Nick Chubb is not on the field.

Which begs the question... if your options are Chubb, Felton, and Johnson... how in the hell do you choose Johnson as your passing RB?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Perhaps someone who played football in high school or another level can tell me this. I've always learned that penalties are on coaching. I'm interested in the mentality behind committing a penalty... Is it a lapse in focus, judgment, a lax environment, knowing that if you commit said penalty that there won't be any consequences? Is it a disrespect for the head coach???

I remember when I had a particular manager at work once; the guy was level headed but was passionate, wasn't afraid to hold people's feet to the fire and when he did it was usually warranted. He was someone who commanded respect wherever he went. When he walked into the room it was different, people almost snapped to attention. He was someone you didn't want to disappoint and was like a father figure, good man. I just don't see any of these leadership qualities in Stefanski.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
It’s not disrespect IMO, it’s just lack of focus. Now, maybe that needs to be coached better … but I dont think the guys are intentionally disrespecting the coach

Legend
Legend
Perhaps someone who played football in high school or another level can tell me this. I've always learned that penalties are on coaching. I'm interested in the mentality behind committing a penalty... Is it a lapse in focus, judgment, a lax environment, knowing that if you commit said penalty that there won't be any consequences? Is it a disrespect for the head coach???
There are 2 kinds of penalties.. there are the active kind where you get locked up with somebody and get called for holding or you are reaching out to make a tackle and get the facemask or hand fighting and get the PI. Those kinds of things happen when you are playing aggressive and trying to make a play for your team. They are, for lack of a better word, excusable, most of the time.

Then there is the other kind, the jumping offsides, lining up in the neutral zone, delay of game, hitting a guy 3 seconds late or 3 feet out of bounds, punching a guy after the play, ripping off the RBs shoe and throwing it.. those are purely mental and show a lack of focus and discipline. those are the ones that have to be fixed. I'm no expert in how to fix it but I believe it takes some combination of coaching and the veteran leadership on the team holding players accountable

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Jake Trotter
@Jake_Trotter
Baker: “Now it’s time for me to start looking at what’s best for me and my health. … I’m pretty damn beat up right now.” Baker said he’ll discuss with his agent/family whether he will play next Sunday vs. Cincy #Browns

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1478232428011405312

He really is beat up,., I hate to pick on a guy that took the beating he did yesterday,,,, Geez,,, 9 Sacks....

But he should not have been playing yesterday,,, Probably not the week before either.

Chubb should have carried 30 times,,, Johnson another 10 or so times

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Add to that we have one of the highest paid backup QBs, and one that's been in KS's system longer than the starter.

Again, I'll say... what are we even trying to do?

-PrplPplEater
F
Legend
Legend
F
Oline play was bad, given injuries I can give some leeway, but this was worse than bad.

Receivers just don't have it, and I am not sure Mayfield trusts many of them unless they are wide open.

I don't think Mayfield trusts his own throwing ability right now, wanting larger windows to throw to, that you usually don't get in the NFL.

Chubb runs for a 30+ yard scamper, then stands on the sideline for the next couple series?

Landy is the only one I think Mayfield trusts, but he looks slow lately. Injuries still hampering him?

Hooper, big waste of money.

Njoku, only good at the high jumping catches, and jumps 6' into the air for every catch, even when it's thrown at his waist.

KS, what needs to be said, hand off calling duties and focus on the overall game. I don't think he understands what is happening sometimes because he's too focused on trying to figure out what to do on offense.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Time to check out for awhile. I am tired of talking about the Browns.

This season as been hard to swallow. Not in a million years did I think this years team would not be in the playoffs after the way they played in 2020.

So I am done with football for the time being. Maybe get into the draft in March sometime.

Burned out.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't believe Mayfield is as bad as he's looked at times this year. The injuries to him and his teammates, the Covid outbreak, mind-numbingly bad officiating, and some really questionable coaching decisions by the HC snowballed this seasons into a clusterbomb.

I don't believe Kevin Stefanski is as dumb and as stubborn as he has appeared to be this season. Not gonna do it; wouldn't be prudent.

Get this last game out of the way, and get ready for next season. Berry: fill the holes. Stefanski: figure it out. Mayfield: get healthy and watch game film. Its time to adjust, not tear down.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 14 Steelers 26 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard