Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1918115 01/08/22 12:19 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Was the Jan. 6 Attack on the Capitol an Act of ‘Terrorism’?

A sharp rebuke of Senator Ted Cruz by the Fox News host Tucker Carlson has heightened a legal and semantic debate over a charged term.

WASHINGTON — After a mob of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol last year, many Democrats and Republicans alike denounced the riot using terms like “terrorism.” But many Republicans later backed away from such condemnations as they sought to realign themselves with former President Donald J. Trump.

The highest-profile example yet came on Thursday, when the Fox News host Tucker Carlson accused Senator Ted Cruz of purposefully lying because he had continued to call the events of Jan. 6 a terrorist attack, including at a Senate hearing this week.

Mr. Cruz, Republican of Texas, apologized, calling his phrasing “frankly dumb” and saying that he was referring only to those rioters who assaulted the police. Mr. Carlson, who has insinuated that Jan. 6 may have been a plot to justify a “purge” of Trump-supporting “patriots,” rejected Mr. Cruz’s explanation, citing his consistent use of that term over the past year to describe the Capitol attack.

Here is a closer look at the charged debate over the use of the word.

What is terrorism?

Essentially, it is politically motivated violence.

Denouncing Mr. Cruz, Mr. Carlson declared that “by no definition” was Jan. 6 “a terror attack.” But Congress has enacted a statute that defines domestic terrorism as criminal offenses that are dangerous to human life, lack a foreign nexus and appear to be seeking “to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion.”

Understand the Jan. 6 Investigation

Both the Justice Department and a House select committee are investigating the events of the Capitol riot. Here's where they stand:

- Inside the House Inquiry: From a nondescript office building, the panel has been quietly ramping up its sprawling and elaborate investigation.
- Criminal Referrals, Explained: Can the House inquiry end in criminal charges? These are some of the issues confronting the committee.
- Garland’s Remarks: Facing pressure from Democrats, Attorney General Merrick Garland vowed that the D.O.J. would pursue its inquiry into the riot “at any level.”
- A Big Question Remains: Will the Justice Department move beyond charging the rioters themselves?

According to that definition, some of the events of Jan. 6 “were acts of domestic terrorism, and that’s accurate regardless of whether it applies to each individual,” said Mary McCord, who served as a senior Justice Department national security official in the Obama administration and into the early Trump era.

She added, “We are talking about acts that were dangerous to human life and that were in violation of criminal laws, and they were certainly done to influence government policy because they were trying to prevent the counting of Electoral College votes.”

Did all the Jan. 6 rioters commit life-endangering crimes?

No. More than 700 people have been charged to date in connection with the Capitol attack, and they are accused of a spectrum of crimes. Just as only some have been charged with conspiracy and obstruction of an official proceeding, only some have been charged with violent offenses like assaulting police officers and destroying government property. Others have been charged only with nonviolent crimes, such as illegally entering a restricted building.

Mr. Cruz told Mr. Carlson that at the Senate hearing this week, he was not saying that “the thousands of peaceful protesters supporting Donald Trump are somehow terrorists.” Rather, he contended, he was merely using that term for people who attacked police officers — an explanation that Mr. Carlson, who agreed that such people should go to prison but maintained that they were not terrorists either, rejected.

On many occasions, Mr. Cruz has broadly called the assault on the Capitol an “act of terrorism” without specifically limiting his words to police assailants. In an interview a day after the riot, for example, he described the “terrorist attack” as “a traumatic experience for everyone in the building and everyone across the country,” and he referred to a rioter who “broke into the Senate chamber” and “did damage” as a “terrorist.”

Has anyone been charged ‘with terrorism’ over Jan. 6?

No. Mr. Carlson asked Mr. Cruz, “How many people have been charged with terrorism on Jan. 6?” The answer is zero — but that fact is deeply misleading.

Congress — despite establishing a legal definition for “domestic terrorism” — has not created any stand-alone federal crime called that. As a result, it is not possible for prosecutors to charge any of the Jan. 6 rioters “with terrorism” regardless of whether they committed terrorist acts.

Might some defendants nevertheless face longer sentences for terrorism-related offenses?

Yes. Dozens of defendants are facing charges that will give prosecutors the opportunity to ask for longer sentences by invoking the context of domestic terrorism. It is not yet clear how harsh prosecutors and judges will be when it comes time to sentence uncooperative defendants who insist on going to trial and then get convicted, rather than striking plea deals.

In one statute, for example, Congress deemed about four dozen offenses as eligible to count as a “federal crime of terrorism” if the acts were “calculated to influence or affect the conduct of government by intimidation or coercion, or to retaliate against government conduct.” Under sentencing guidelines, such a conviction can result in a much longer prison term.

The list includes destruction of government property, a charge that 44 defendants are facing so far, according to the Justice Department’s tally of the Jan. 6 cases. The list also includes a “weapon of mass destruction” charge that may be brought if the F.B.I. finds whoever put pipe bombs outside the Capitol Hill headquarters of both major political parties the night before the riot.

In addition, two defendants so far have been charged with making false statements. Under a separate law, prosecutors can ask for a sentence of up to eight years, rather than the normal five, if such lies involve domestic terrorism.

Why is the terrorism label subject to dispute?

Because nobody likes terrorists. And as a matter of ordinary speech, as opposed to legal definitions, drawing the line between “terrorism” and less pejorative terms for politically motivated violence can be notoriously subjective.

“Why did you use that word?” Mr. Carlson asked Mr. Cruz.

He accused the senator of playing into a characterization by “the other side” seeking to smear the “entire population” of Trump supporters as “foreign combatants,” likening it to labels like “insurrection” and “coup.”

Notably, during the nationwide protests after the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis in 2020, Mr. Carlson called on the Justice Department to charge “every single person caught on camera torching a building, destroying a monument, defacing a church” with terrorism.

“Call them what they actually are — domestic terrorists,” he said, adding: “That would be their new government-approved title. Once they’re charged, it’s official. In fact, they are literally, as a factual matter, accused terrorists. And that would change minds right away.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/07/us/politics/jan-6-terrorism-explainer.html

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/08/22 12:21 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nice article.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
P
Legend
Legend
P
Recommended web content for conservatives that are not Trumpians and who are angered by what has become of your political party.

Defending Democracy Together

https://www.defendingdemocracytogether.org/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
No, you can disagree, talk like a conservative and have an opposite point of view just like BEFORE THE ORANGE TRAITOR. But if you spew Trumpian talking points, openly support Trumpian politics, secretly support Trumpian politics but slip up, talk like you are a Q follower, or defend any of the crap that Trump and company pulled including the insurrection; then damn skippy we'll attack your ass. Fair or not, we don't care. When you support crap that leads to these divides, fascism, or a bigoted American revival of hate; well then you are a part of the problem, and we're better off without you. If after all the crap Trump has pulled, you still support him, then you don't deserve kindness nor understanding. And this doesn't make you a throw away person, we just want nothing to do with you in your current state of crap for brains. Hopefully being a Trumpian outcast like the known unvaccinated person without a medically sound reason to not get vaccinated, will motivate you to review your stinking thinking and realize you've been conned, lied to, and used by Trump. Else that iceberg you are sitting on is going to get smaller and smaller, with fewer and fewer like minds adrift with you, until you and yours just fade away. It's time for all troglodytes to go back to their holes.

The fact that think this about me shows you don't know me at all. You just make assumptions about me because I disagree with you and your ilk. Feel free to post links to all the posts where I defend trump or support the insurrectionists. Anti-liberal != pro-trump.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
First, let me clarify that none of that was directed at you like an accusation, but just a response to your question in general. And it is exactly how I feel about those who still ardently support Trump. I have ZERO use for those people.

Second, I don't have a clue what your personal politics are. I did assume you are a conservative from your question, and it's pretty obvious you don't like being called a Trumpian. So, that is all I know and made no other assumptions about you, just answered what you asked. That is all.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/08/22 11:19 PM.

E
Legend
Legend
E
jc

lmao at libtards complaining about increasing the divide when they are 90% of the problem.

You don't see Conservatives on the warpath about libtard BS.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
We haven't attempted a violent coup, now, have we? Leave it to a libertarian to nitpick.

E
Legend
Legend
E
You people assaulted Americans in the streets and in their businesses with all of your violent looting, arson, and rioting all of 2020. You are a far worse problem than stupidity at the capitol.

No Craps Given
2 members like this: 3rd_and_20, Dawg Duty
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I did no such thing. And shame on you for calling BLM riots worse. They most certainly were not worse! You don't get much worse than being traitors and attacking the capitol building for an attempted coup! Wow, just wow.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/08/22 11:31 PM.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Fixed.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
jc

lmao at libtards complaining about increasing the divide when they are 90% of the problem.

You don't see Conservatives on the warpath about libtard BS.

That might be because the "LIBTARDS" didn't have a bunch of idiotic jackwads that attacked the capital... As Karl Rove said, the Republicans would be going nuts on the Democrats if they'd have done this crap in 2016.

Try all you want, but you'll never be able to erase the damage the Trumpian wing of the Republican party did that day....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
We aren't 90% of why anyone stormed the capital. Trump calling them to Washington, stop the steal lies, him and his cronies riling up the crowd then sending them to the capital are 100% of it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Hmmmm

What might our Forefathers say about Jan 6...

From Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 13 November 1787
To William Stephens Smith

Dear Sir

I am now to acknolege the receipt of your favors of October the 4th. 8th. and 26th. In the last you apologize for your letters of introduction to Americans coming here. It is so far from needing apology on your part, that it calls for thanks on mine. I endeavor to shew civilities to all the Americans who come here, and who will give me opportunities of doing it: and it is a matter of comfort to know from a good quarter what they are, and how far I may go in my attentions to them.—Can you send me Woodmason’s bills for the two copying presses for the M. de la fayette, and the M. de Chastellux? The latter makes one article in a considerable account, of old standing, and which I cannot present for want of this article.—I do not know whether it is to yourself or Mr. Adams I am to give my thanks for the copy of the new constitution. I beg leave through you to place them where due. It will be yet three weeks before I shall receive them from America. There are very good articles in it: and very bad. I do not know which preponderate. What we have lately read in the history of Holland, in the chapter on the Stadtholder, would have sufficed to set me against a Chief magistrate eligible for a long duration, if I had ever been disposed towards one: and what we have always read of the elections of Polish kings should have forever excluded the idea of one continuable for life. Wonderful is the effect of impudent and persevering lying. The British ministry have so long hired their gazetteers to repeat and model into every form lies about our being in anarchy, that the world has at length believed them, the English nation has believed them, the ministers themselves have come to believe them, and what is more wonderful, we have believed them ourselves. Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusets? And can history produce an instance of a rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it’s motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid we should ever be 20. years without such a rebellion. The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had 13. states independant 11. years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century and a half for each state. What country before ever existed a century and half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusets: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen yard in order. I hope in god this article will be rectified before the new constitution is accepted.—You ask me if any thing transpires here on the subject of S. America? Not a word. I know that there are combustible materials there, and that they wait the torch only. But this country probably will join the extinguishers.—The want of facts worth communicating to you has occasioned me to give a little loose to dissertation. We must be contented to amuse, when we cannot inform. Present my respects to Mrs. Smith, and be assured of the sincere esteem of Dear Sir Your friend & servant,

Th: Jefferson

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

More excuses for an insurrection. Our forefathers most likely would have hanged them by the neck until dead for treason.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
1. That’s ONE of our founding fathers. Don’t know how much you know about history, but Jefferson was pretty much alone in his zeal for frequent revolutions, when it came to the founding fathers. Here’s the funny thing about them: they were often bitter rivals, but they could function collectively when it came to governing. Imagine that.

2. He was a general advocate of revolutions that guaranteed people kept the power. His system of a democratic republic was relatively new and sweeping the world. That’s what he wanted to see. The proliferation of a weak central government with power given to the localities and people. Hence the Bill of Rights. He wasn’t exactly a fan of revolutions that subverted the power of the people to install a despot (see his thoughts on Napoleon).

3. By your same rationale, would the other instances of violence be justified?

4. To that end, what happens when a revolution is founded in both ignorance and wickedness?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
...... and lies.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I did no such thing. And shame on you for calling BLM riots worse. They most certainly were not worse! You don't get much worse than being traitors and attacking the capitol building for an attempted coup! Wow, just wow.

Attempted Coup? Why don't you Libs call it what it was? A peaceful protest that got out of hand. Now you guys can get back to burning down cities, ruining small business ambushing cops and looting stores. Funny we don't hear much about that stuff any more.

3 members like this: 3rd_and_20, Day of the Dawg, 40YEARSWAITING
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You claim it’s a peaceful protest that’s out of hand and the. Go on to bash peaceful protests that got out of hand.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You are full of ****

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawg Duty

Attempted Coup? Why don't you Libs call it what it was? A peaceful protest that got out of hand. Now you guys can get back to burning down cities, ruining small business ambushing cops and looting stores. Funny we don't hear much about that stuff any more.

You are a true TRUMPIAN...Not to be confused with a True Republican. You believe whatever you're told on FOX news...

This is stuff you won't see on FOX or OANN or Brietbart of anywhere else that wants to cover up your "peaceful protest"

Last edited by Damanshot; 01/10/22 10:26 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Proud boys and oath keepers are facists and traitors.

Wannabe commando's.

They should be exiled from this country or put in prison for life.

Last edited by bonefish; 01/10/22 12:19 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by bonefish

Wannabe commando's.

And what would you do with Antifa?

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really can’t understand this line of thought, man.

“Hitler was a horrible person.”

“Yeah, but what about Stalin????”

Saying one thing is bad doesn’t exclude another.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

Wannabe commando's.

Give them patriot medals for fighting fascism in the streets, just like the soldiers of WW2. You know, we used to be against Nazis here, back when republicans knew what it was to be patriotic.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

Wannabe commando's.

Give them patriot medals for fighting fascism in the streets, just like the soldiers of WW2. You know, we used to be against Nazis here, back when republicans knew what it was to be patriotic.

We also used to be against Communism. Which is just as terrible.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
True, but there are no communists in this equation. Just fascists led by Trump. Antifa stands for antifascists, not communists. The only people screaming look at the communists are the fascists… smh.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
True, but there are no communists in this equation. Just fascists led by Trump. Antifa stands for antifascists, not communists. The only people screaming look at the communists are the fascists… smh.

Go loves you OCD!!! I am not sure how but I know he does!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
It would be much harder for him to love trump. And probably the people that continue to empower and support him after all he has done and said.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: ... For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you.

Good luck.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05
I really can’t understand this line of thought, man.

“Hitler was a horrible person.”

“Yeah, but what about Stalin????”

Saying one thing is bad doesn’t exclude another.

That's called distraction..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING
In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: ... For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you.

Good luck.

Your eyes and ears don't lie. Unless you're a Trumpian.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

That's a bit misleading. It was a group of 11.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
rofl

More excuses for an insurrection. Our forefathers most likely would have hanged them by the neck until dead for treason.

Uh, perhaps you can tell us all how many of the protesters have been charged with Insurrection? Treason?

Here's a hint... NONE

Why do you think that is?

Hint... The Government would lose the case because it was NOT AN INSURRECTION AND NO ONE COMMITTED TREASON!

please carry on with making your mud pies.

1 member likes this: EveDawg
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
rofl

Uh, perhaps you can tell us all how many of the protesters have been charged with Insurrection? Treason?

Here's a hint... NONE

Why do you think that is?

Hint... The Government would lose the case because it was NOT AN INSURRECTION AND NO ONE COMMITTED TREASON!

please carry on with making your mud pies.

Parring down the charges to what will stick in a jury has little to do with proving your point, insurrectionists, and traitors are the labels that fit for general use, NOT RIOTERS.

Are Jan. 6 rioters traitors? So far, criminal charges say no

CHICAGO (AP) — Plotted to block the certification of Joe Biden’s election victory: Check. Discussed bringing weapons into Washington to aid in the plan: Check. Succeeded with co-insurrectionists, if only temporarily, in stopping Congress from carrying out a vital constitutional duty: Check.

Accusations against Jan. 6 rioter Thomas Caldwell certainly seem to fit the charge of sedition as it’s generally understood — inciting revolt against the government. And the possibility of charging him and others was widely discussed after thousands of pro-Trump supporters assaulted scores of police officers, defaced the U.S. Capitol and hunted for lawmakers to stop the certification. Some called their actions treasonous.

But to date, neither Caldwell nor any of the other more than 500 defendants accused in the attack has been indicted for sedition or for the gravest of crimes a citizen can face, treason. And as an increasing number of lesser charges are filed and defendants plead guilty, those accusations may never be formally levied.

Some legal scholars say that sedition charges could be justified but that prosecutors may be reluctant to bring them because of their legal complexity and the difficulty historically in securing convictions. Overzealousness in applying them going back centuries has also discredited their use. And defense attorneys say discussions of such charges only add to the hyperbole around the events of that day.

Overall, the bar for proving sedition isn’t as high as it is for the related charge of treason. Still, sedition charges have been rare.

The last time U.S. prosecutors brought such a case was in 2010 in an alleged Michigan plot by members of the Hutaree militia to incite an uprising against the government. But a judge ordered acquittals on the sedition conspiracy charges at a 2012 trial, saying prosecutors relied too much on hateful diatribes protected by the First Amendment and didn’t, as required, prove the accused ever had detailed plans for a rebellion.

Among the last successful convictions for seditious conspiracy stemmed from another, now largely forgotten storming of the Capitol in 1954 when four Puerto Rican nationalists opened fire on the House floor, wounding five representatives.

Treason is one of the few crimes specifically defined in the Constitution. It’s defined as “levying war” against the U.S. or “giving aid and comfort” to its enemies. Legal scholars say the Founding Fathers, who were themselves accused of treason by the British, sought to clearly articulate it because they knew the potential to misapply it to legitimate dissent.

In a landmark ruling in 1807, Chief Justice John Marshall wrote that treason required a citizen actually go to war against the United States, not to just brainstorm or draw up plans for it. Even recruiting and training rebels for war, he argued, isn’t treason if war is never engaged.

In the history of the U.S., the government has convicted fewer than 10 people for treason, according to the FBI.

Among the last treason cases was of American-born Iva Toguri D’Aquino — known as “Tokyo Rose” during World War II for her anti-American broadcasts — convicted in 1949 of “giving aid and comfort” to Japan. President Gerald Ford pardoned her in 1977 after reports U.S. authorities pressured some witnesses to lie.

The only American charged with treason since the World II era was Adam Gadahn, indicted in 2006 for giving “aid and comfort” to al-Qaida. Before he could be tried, he was killed by a U.S. drone strike in Pakistan.

Carlton Larson, a University of California law professor and author of “On Treason: A Citizen’s Guide to the Law,” ruled out treason for the Jan. 6 rioters. But he believes some qualify for a provision of seditious conspiracy on “hindering” the execution of U.S. laws. “I think it easily fits,” he said.

Last summer, then-Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen sent a memo allowing federal prosecutors to consider sedition charges against police reform demonstrators, particularly in Portland, Oregon, where clashes between rioters and federal authorities raged outside a federal courthouse. It was never used.

But the memo said the Justice Department believed the statute doesn’t require proof of a plot to overthrow the government and could also be used when a defendant tries to oppose the government’s authority by force.

In the weeks after the Capitol attack, federal prosecutors said they were looking at all possible charges. Washington’s then-acting U.S. Attorney Michael Sherwin told CBS’ “60 Minutes” on March 17 that prosecutors were mulling seditious conspiracy charges against some rioters.

“I believe the facts do support those charges,” Sherwin said. “And I think that, as we go forward, more facts will support that.”

He had first floated the possibility in January, saying a special group of prosecutors was examining whether they would apply to any rioters. The Justice Department did not respond to questions about what happened to that group, or why no sedition charges were ever brought. And Sherwin’s comments were criticized by a federal judge and defense lawyers who said it was inappropriate to discuss ongoing investigations publicly. He left the Justice Department soon after.

The Justice Department is continuing its work to prosecute a record number of cases. But they have so far opted for comparatively run-of-the-mill charges, like entering a restricted area and obstructing an official proceeding. Caldwell faces those charges, as well as conspiracy, which, like sedition, carries a maximum 20-year prison term. Treason carries a possible death sentence.

He has been charged alongside other members and associates of the far-right Oath Keepers extremist group with conspiring to block the vote certification. He later boasted in a message to a friend about grabbing an American flag, joining the crowd that surged toward the Capitol and saying “let’s storm the place and hang the traitors.” The 65-year-old from Virginia told his friend, “If we’d had guns I guarantee we would have killed 100 politicians.”

Defense attorneys say hyperbole has been a hallmark of the Jan. 6 prosecutions.

“If grandiose rhetoric was evidence, the Government’s case would be very strong,” Caldwell’s lawyer, David Fischer, wrote in one filing. He didn’t respond to a message seeking comment.

In filings, Fischer also said prosecutors took his client’s words out of context to falsely accuse an ailing 20-year military veteran. He said Caldwell, like many veterans, was prone to puffery and enjoyed portraying himself in recounting his actions on Jan. 6 as a movie character who picks up a battle flag to lead the charge.

Fischer also asked Caldwell’s Washington judge this month to transfer Caldwell’s case to another city on grounds Sherwin’s comments regarding sedition would prejudice jurors.

On Jan. 5, another rioter, Guy Reffitt, allegedly spoke of “dragging … people out of the Capitol by their ankles” and installing a new government. The 48-year-old Texan came prepared for battle on Jan. 6, carrying a gun and wearing body armor as he pushed through Capitol police lines as officers shot him with rubber bullets, prosecutors said.

Charges against Reffitt include entering a restricted building with a deadly weapon, as well as obstructing justice by threatening his teenage children. The oil industry consultant allegedly told them later in January they’d be traitors if they turned him in. He added, “Traitors get shot.”

In an unapologetic note written from jail and filed with the court in May, Reffitt denied there had ever been a conspiracy, and provided a chilling reason.

“If overthrow (of the government) was the quest,” Reffitt wrote about Jan. 6, “it would have no doubt been overthrown.”

___

Associated Press writers Michael Balsamo in Washington and Alanna Durkin Richer in Boston contributed to this report.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-bide...l-siege-61007f50fb3ebe15a07982112f05730c

Legend
Legend
j/c:

'I can't answer that': FBI executive assistant director REFUSES to tell Ted Cruz if any agents or confidential informants 'actively participated' in Jan 6: Cruz demands more information on 'plant' Ray Epps

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...articipated-January-6-riot.html#comments

P
Legend
Legend
P
That sounds great when isolated. When the final answer was actually "Not to my knowledge sir."

You can't answer what you don't know. Only what you do know. But nice try.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It’s pretty obvious that you can’t talk about stuff like that. If you work in any sort of programs involving classified information or informants, you can’t get into stuff like that in a public forum. Ted knows that, too. That’s why he’s asking the question because he knew that was the answer that was coming.

Cruz is trying to make up for pissing off Tucker Carlson. I mean the dude just called them terrorists a few days ago and now he’s bringing in the FBI. Also he now speaks up about the DOJ and FBI as being partisan and arrogant, as if he wasn’t paying attention the previous four years.

Last edited by dawglover05; 01/12/22 09:50 AM.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus January 6th Fallout p3

Link Copied to Clipboard