Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1921776 01/25/22 02:07 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

That’s third round picks for us. I think I’d rather have the big brain.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

I am not familiar with the history of the All-Rookie Team. Is it unusual to get three guys on it?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Yes it is,but Felton?
I can't see him being all anything.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Congrats! Is this a fancy name for something? After this season, this feels like a participation trophy. Great, I guess. Might be impact rookies, but not so much for me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
Including his name does make it more like a "which one is not like the others" type of exercise.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Including his name does make it more like a "which one is not like the others" type of exercise.

I thought the same thing.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Now flip those 3rd round comp picks back to the Vikings for Cousins and let them begin their rebuild. willynilly

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Now flip those 3rd round comp picks back to the Vikings for Cousins and let them begin their rebuild. willynilly

Cousins makes $35M in 2022, and is UFA in 2023. Paying $17M more for what I'd consider an only marginally better QB than a healthy Mayfield doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-9915/

1 member likes this: Hammer
M
Legend
Legend
M
My post was more tongue-in-cheek, but if the Browns happened to trade for Cousins they would extend his contract.

Also, there is no measurable statistic where Baker really comes close to Cousins' numbers. This isn't me saying Cousins is elite. Cousins is very consistent. Stefanski knows Cousins well. Who knows how Berry would perceive the idea of trading for Cousins, but I am sure it's something they would explore.

I posted this article before, but worth a read because Cousins really is a polarizing QB.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/09/kirk-cousins-elite-stats-polarizing-vikings/

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My post was more tongue-in-cheek, but if the Browns happened to trade for Cousins they would extend his contract.

Also, there is no measurable statistic where Baker really comes close to Cousins' numbers. This isn't me saying Cousins is elite. Cousins is very consistent. Stefanski knows Cousins well. Who knows how Berry would perceive the idea of trading for Cousins, but I am sure it's something they would explore.

I posted this article before, but worth a read because Cousins really is a polarizing QB.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/12/09/kirk-cousins-elite-stats-polarizing-vikings/

Cousins 2021 stats 66% completion%, 4,400+ yards, 33 TD's to 7 INT's with a 103 qb rating. Now where would the 8-9 Browns be if our QB had those stats for the year. I think we would have played at least 1 playoff game and maybe be still playing right now.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I want Russell Wilson, but I'll settle for Kirk Cousins.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You Mayfield haters might want to check back in 2019 to see how Cousins performed under Stefanski as his OC in comparison to 2018 or 2021. You also might want to think about how we are going to get receivers in here the caliber of Theilen, Jefferson, and Osborn because we currently don't have anyone close to that level of a WR and that includes Landry.

Of course, it starts with Cousins' who also has the NFL's third-largest 2022 salary cap number at $45,166,668 and is a free agent in 2023. Because Cousins was on the Vikings roster on the 3rd day of the 2021 league year, his 2022 salary, which is currently guaranteed for injury, became fully guaranteed. Cousins base salary for 2022 is 35 million with 10 million added as a prorated bonus making his cap number $45,166,668.

Right now, the Browns have about 39 million in cap space. Mayfield's contract of 18.858 million is fully guaranteed so the only way out of that deal is a trade. 35 million of the current 39 million cap would go to Cousins. That leaves about 4 million as a starting point for free agency, the draft, and a new deal for Ward before anything else happens. All for a 1-year shot that hinges totally on Cousins delivering with a downgrade in receivers not to mention what other assets the Browns would have to offer up to Minnesota or any other trade partner before entering cap hell for years to come.

Yep, this makes total sense for the Browns (sarcasm).

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
1. Paying a QB is a good problem to have. Not a bad one.
2. I would assume you can subtract Mayfield’s salary if we get Cousins so that would add about $18 million in cap space.

Also, I am not a “Mayfield hater”. I am a Browns liker. I like Baker and would love for it to work out with him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

About time. Hope he sticks to it and focuses on football and is able to ignore the outside noise.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Man, when was the last time we had someone actually leave our staff voluntarily for a promotion elsewhere?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
j/c...

About time. Hope he sticks to it and focuses on football and is able to ignore the outside noise.

Good move, long overdue. Time to get rid of the rabbit ears, grow a thicker skin, and realize that success is the best way to quiet the critics, not Twitter.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

Cousins 2021 stats 66% completion%, 4,400+ yards, 33 TD's to 7 INT's with a 103 qb rating. Now where would the 8-9 Browns be if our QB had those stats for the year. I think we would have played at least 1 playoff game and maybe be still playing right now.

Would he have had those stats if he TORE HIS LABRUM early on in the season??? how bout apples to apples

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: jfanent
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

We would have hosted at least 1 playoff game. We might have had a bye.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Nothing personal, but all this talk about dumping Baker after a poor showing while injured to go after guys that are 1) questionable whether they are an upgrade, 2) almost double in cost from the current situation and would require a contract even bigger than anything the Browns would have to pay Baker and 3) a team with no pass receiving weapons in place with a coach that has a documented history of suppressing the passing game.

The point is all this talk about getting a Wilson, Rodgers, Carr, Watson or a Cousins is not a fix for the Browns passing game. Stefanski is a run first coach and he's going to run that scheme no matter what talent he has at any position. Look, it's documented that in 2019 when he took over as OC for the Vikings he cut back Cousins attempts from the previous year by 27.8%, completions by 26.7% and passing yards by 16.17%. Keep in mind that was with Diggs (55 target reduction), Thielen (105 target reduction), Rudolph (34 target reduction), Bisi Johnson.(rookie), and Cook (increase of 14 targets) from 2018 to 2019. In fact, since Cousins became a F/T starter in 2015, his 5-year average excluding 2019 is 380 pass attempts per year - in 2019 it was 307 (a 19.2% reduction). The Browns don't currently have anywhere near the skill set that the Vikings had at WR and TE so that would have to be addressed too (though highly unlikely considering Stefanski's scheme).

The thought process that Stefanski would change his scheme for a Cousins is just hogwash. If that was the case he'd change for Baker. Not only that, Cousins has already lived through a Stefanski in charge offense and felt the reduction even after he had a year (2018) where he completed 70.1% of his passes with 30 TD throws. Diggs saw the writing on the wall and demanded a trade. OBJ seen the writing on the wall and demanded a trade. The Browns have (at the time of signing) the highest paid TE in football and reduced his targets by an average of 29.2% the last 2-years and posters here think it's a QB problem and getting a guy used to throwing 250 plus more times a year currently is going to save the Browns by having his attempts drastically reduced?

I think Mayfield has things to work on but this goes way beyond Baker Mayfield's performance. This goes to building your offense to the skill set of your players and be equally threatening as much in the passing game as you are in the run game. Teams have figured out Stefanski's run scheme and are defending the Browns as such. As much as Baker has items to work on, Stefanski has a much bigger challenge of adjusting his offensive scheme which to date he has been unwilling to do. The Browns can spend every dime they have on talent but if the coach won't build to that - WHAT's THE POINT?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ok. Stefanski is a run first coach but let's stop for a minute and examine the words used suppresses the passing game. The Browns ran the ball on 54% of their offensive snaps. That means they passed the ball on 46% of their snaps. That sounds more like a balanced offense than a pass suppressing offense. This team needs a QB whether it is Baker or some one else to have better than a 60% completion % throwing in those 46% of snaps. This run game can win in the NFL it just needs complimented with a pass game and threat of big plays.

Diggs and OBJ are selfish players. OBJ could not handle being a #1 WR. He is doing much better playing Robin to the Rams Batman Copper Cupp. This team needs some play makers outside that is for sure because teams will stack the box and not allow the Browns to run the ball. Need to bring balance to the offense and better QB play is where that starts.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
People have shown Cousins stats and I'm always surprised. Maybe I just don't watch enough Minny games to really appreciate what he brings to the table.

I know I'd be pretty disappointed if we brought him in (doubly so if we had to give up major assets in addition to the $$)... but at the end of the day I trust KS and Berry. Cousins being a guy he's worked with within the same offense, if that's what Stefanski thinks he needs, and he gets him, then I'll get on board.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

The third round picks are nice but I’d rather keep him.

Legend
Legend
Cousins doesn't bring anything we don't already have. All he is is grass on the other side of the fence.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
bottom line is whatever the team does at the QB position, whether this year or next , their futures are directly tied to it. I think this year was really hard on them, I think they went into it hoping to get some clarity and hoping the Mayfield at the end of last year would take another step this year and they could be done with the questions about the position. Now they have more questions than before and are even more scrutiny to get it right. Not an enviable position for sure.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
F
Legend
Legend
F
Kirk Cousins has been in Minnesota for 4 years and has gone

2018 8-7-1
2019 10-5
2020 7-9
2021 8-8

How is he a major upgrade? he's not exactly "carrying the team"

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
2 members like this: THROW LONG, Jester
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

OBJ seems like a great guy to have around. He’ll tell you not to go to his team because he wants the best for you.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I read the article. There was no context. In the offseason the Browns were a trendy super bowl pick. Maybe it was as simple as the nightlife sucks and there's no place to eat. Even obj couldn't have known then how awful Baker was going to be.

Or maybe he didn't like Stefanski. Could be a hundred things.

B
Legend
Legend
B
How does this guy know what was said last offseason at some training session in Colorado Springs?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
No matter how many times you say Baker sucks. It makes no difference.

He is the quarterback till he is not.

Odell is no longer a Brown. Another topic that is meaningless.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. We all know now that OBJ didn't like it here and didn't want to be here. I didn't like the trouble it caused either but it's over now and he's gone. If he goes to the SB he goes. Maybe we as Browns fans should forget it and move on to who we can sign and draft to replace him. JMO

Legend
Legend
I am totally over 2021.

Come September a third of the roster will be new. Stefanski is in the backseat and Berry is driving the car right now.

Lots of tough decisions ahead that will shape the new roster. That is where my head is at now. First comes free agency.

Conklin and Takk face rehab. It is super important that Conklin comes back to full strength. He is a big investment and a very good player.

I really doubt Hubbard will be resigned. We will need a guy who can step in at both tackle positions. Takk was playing well just before his injury. Achilles is a nine month or more injury?

I firmly believe Berry will sign one or two receivers in free agency. I have great faith in Berry. He is a smart guy who will be totally prepared for this off season. He is also bold. He may surprise all of us.

The Browns draft picks:

1st Round – Pick #13
2nd Round – Pick #44
3rd Round – Pick #78
3rd Round – Pick #102 (Compensatory Pick)
4th Round – Pick #114 (Lions Trade)
4th Round – Pick #124
5th Round – Pick #171
6th Round – Pick #218
7th Round – Pick #257

That is good draft capital. Six picks in the top 124. Berry can bring some fresh new talent.

I am beginning to get a good feel for the draft but I am still far away from picking players.

So far these are the guys that have my attention:

Malik Willis, Trevon Walker, Drake London, Treylon Burks.

Long way to go.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
How does this guy know what was said last offseason at some training session in Colorado Springs?

He's a 2020 graduate of the class of Buckeye Senior High in Medina, Ohio. So he must have a lot of reliable pro sources by now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Now if you could just figure out a way to win without scoring TD's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Von Miller told him.

Most weeks, the duo trained Monday through Saturday, often sweating for two or three workouts between sunrise and sunset. Almost every day, they wondered: Wouldn’t it be wild if, one day, somehow, some way, they played for the same team?

Maybe in Ohio, Miller wondered, daydreaming out loud.

“Don’t come to Cleveland,” Miller says Beckham told him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/28/v...-odell-beckham-jr-demaryius-thomas-death

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
I am totally over 2021.

The Browns draft picks:

1st Round – Pick #13
2nd Round – Pick #44
3rd Round – Pick #78
3rd Round – Pick #102 (Compensatory Pick)
4th Round – Pick #114 (Lions Trade)
4th Round – Pick #124
5th Round – Pick #171
6th Round – Pick #218
7th Round – Pick #257

That is good draft capital. Six picks in the top 124. Berry can bring some fresh new talent.

Long way to go.

That is a good start.

I still think we are going to use this draft to gain more picks for next year. I could see us trading down in the first round to gain a 1st rounder next year. I think we can still get a impact player later in the 1st round, or even top of the 2nd round.

I think we are behind Baker and aren't planning to draft a QB and would rather gain another pick for next year in the event we do need to make a run at one of the quality QBs who should be in the draft.

No doubt much will depend on how the draft is panning out as we get near our 13th pick. If we see a nice group of guys we like and feel we can get in the 20's somewhere, we will pull the trigger.

And as you said, FA will have a major impact on what we end up doing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
I'm with you on that. I could us doing that.

Somehow in the back of my mind. I hear a voice that says there could be a surprise.

https://watchstadium.com/show/tape-dont-lie-football/

When I saw this it really caught my attention. If Berry falls for this guy. He damn well might pull the trigger.

It is my firm belief that sometimes you have to swing for the fence.

I see great upside in this kid. I don't yet know enough but I see that specialness. Things others can not do.

I first saw that kind of thing when I saw Mahomes in college. That What moment? What did he just do?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Love Caleb Williams.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted by Hammer
Love Caleb Williams.

Not me. Only played one half of good football (Texas). Was consistently short on the long ball. Held the ball waaaay longer than Baker ever has. He'd have to show a heck of a lot of improvement. Me-first attitude....can't make up his mind where to transfer to in the portal because he's looking for best NIL money, with zero loyalty to a team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by TrooperDawg
Originally Posted by Hammer
Love Caleb Williams.

Not me. Only played one half of good football (Texas). Was consistently short on the long ball. Held the ball waaaay longer than Baker ever has. He'd have to show a heck of a lot of improvement. Me-first attitude....can't make up his mind where to transfer to in the portal because he's looking for best NIL money, with zero loyalty to a team.

What?

Me-first attitude....can't make up his mind where to transfer to in the portal because he's looking for best NIL money, with zero loyalty to a team.

Nevermind, I see why you don’t like him.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard