Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1922978 02/01/22 10:47 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Everyone knows the Browns need receivers. No questions about that.

The only question is how will Berry address the need.

First question is Jarvis? Does he restructure or leave?

Then there is free agency and the draft.

But what about Anthony Schwartz?

I read an article on the Browns website that he is working on improving.

My suggestion for Anthony is turn on tape of Tyreek Hill. Straight line speed is nice but it does not mean you are open and can catch the ball.

He has to get stronger first. Then learn how to harness speed into creating space in short areas. Learn how to compete for the ball in the middle of the field.

Jarvis is not fast. He is not big. But he knows how to compete for the ball. He has a tough guys attitude.

Schwartz was a rookie disappointment for a third round pick. He got a concussion and that took him out for weeks. He missed the time to develop.

I don't know what to expect from him? He didn't show much to me. He is going to face heavy competition for playing time this year. Berry will bring heavy competition to the receiver room.

Schwartz better be working hard if he wants to be on the team.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
My take on Schwartz was that he may have track speed when running in shorts, but that speed did not translate to the football field.

There was nothing about him that made me think of Tyreek or what could be Tyreek-like.

1 member likes this: clwb419
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Schwartz is a poor mans John Ross or Ricardo Louis.
Scouts get enamoured with WRs 4'4 times and forget
To see how a guy is featured in a offense
Berry.should have been smart enough than to draft
A WR from Auburn. It's not a WR factory there.
He is replaceable.
He struggles to seperate for all speed. His hands are iffy
He doesnt sell his routes either.
He is a draft bust

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
He is a draft bust

You cant determine that for a receiver after 1 year

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: GMdawg
T
Legend
Legend
T
I did say, of the last two posts, about A. Schwartz, within 60 minutes of his announcement on draft day, that that kind of players background doesn't work out as a draft pick.

I don't think it's A. Schwartz' fault, I think it is analytics fault, or whomevers' decision it was to get around to eventually deciding to add a WR in the form of A Schwartz' fault, for ignoring all the opportunities they had as a team, really over decades, to
every now and then,
just! every now and then, decide, TO NOT put the WR's and the passing game DEAD LAST ON THE PRIORTY CHART
(for understanding the difference i.e. it's not the player it's the decision to take him that was messed up, the decision to not take all-all-all the other options they had for two drafts, while seeing all-all-all the other Wr's that were selected all around the league)
(that was the problem, that was the problem, that was the lesson they didn't learn when they did the same thing with Qb and ended up reaching for Dishone Kiser a few years before)

Hopefully I'm wrong and Schwartz' ends up a super star. I don't blame the player for being himself. Except if the team can find out how to use him, utilize him in a game. He doesn't (didn't) come across as a player, that, would just be instantly recognizable as a
as a player that would dominate other teams. Good luck to him.
I hope the Browns bring in real competition to ... but! (didn't 2021 show that the Browns, need to get more production out of the lesser talented journeymen- like could be seen in observing, teams such as, the Titans, the Patriots, the Bills, the Ravens and so on, the Raiders? Chargers! Cardinals, and Rams. )
It's like the script always has something to make sure the Browns lose out. For the first time in decades the Browns were the most talented team and the evidence was everywhere of other teams getting more out of less.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by BADdog
He is a draft bust

My only disappointment regarding Schwartz is that we seemed hell-bent on dialing him up in games even though he clearly wasn't up to the task. He's a 3rd-rounder for a reason. I did like him fielding punts/kicks over Felton, though.

I think the big test will be what he can do from TC on through next year.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Very true especially in his case because of the concussion and time missed.

In addition a third round pick is looked at as developmental. Berry took a flyer on him. His hands are decent.

You also figure he could play ST. So, when a guy runs a 4.27 . You get attention.

He may develop. But, he has lots to work on.

All the things I mentioned. Corners in the NFL are fast. They are also schooled in technique which includes stripping the ball after the catch.

Receivers must learn how to fight for the ball. How to protect it. You have to have good hands to catch it but also strong hands to keep it.

I hope he is able to make that rookie leap and contribute next year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A more appropriate comparison is Travis Benjamin.

Tyreek Hill is quick and fast. Schwartz and Benjamin are just fast.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Legend
Legend
Schwartz is #notarealfootballplayer.

Wasted draft pick.

My biggest disappointment in the draft was missing out on WR Nico Collins in the second round. As soon as we made the deal for JOK with our higher third round pick, I knew it was probably going to happen.

Carolina used the pick to stockpile more as Houston leapfrogged us to snag Collins (with our own pick mad). I felt like Schwartz was our consolation pick, if our FO had him graded higher than Collins it's probably a damn good thing he wasn't available because they would look like absolute idiots.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think his second season should tell the coaching staff a lot about him. I think all of us knew he would need some work and time to develop. Sadly it seems since the NFL has turned from millions of dollars into billions of dollars there is no longer the patience to develop players. I don't think it's the money alone but also the pressure on HC's and FO's to win, and win now. Taking the time to develop players is dangerous to the careers of coaches and FO's.

For those reasons above I think Schwartz will have to make a splash next season or he may be moving on.

As far as Jarvis it's anyone's guess. I do not however believe the Browns will pay him 15 mil. next season. But then again that may depend on the cap hit it would cost to cut him and what kind of trade deal we may be able to find for his services.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: oobernoober
T
Legend
Legend
T
He is a draft bust

I both agree and disagree with that statement. ...
If you go and buy a tire.
A. You get the tire you bought.
B. One can't be sure what the purchaser was planning to do with that tire after just one drive on the road.

They spent a 3rd round pick, to get a really fast, guy who may have been a UDFA. If Schwartz wasn't really fast, would he have been about a UDFA entering the league? Josh Cribbs was a UDFA. It just makes more sense to feel like he should be categorized that way in my mind.
They used a 3rd round pick on him, so technically, he was a 3rd round pick. But if sure felt like they totally threw away the opportunity on that 3rd round pick, on a guy who is incredibly fast, and otherwise would be about as game ready as a udfa. So it's the team decision that was So Messed Up. The player, it's unfair imo to put the overly assessed expectations of that (questionable) decision to do that with that 3rd round pick opportunity.
It's really water under the bridge at this point.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Schwartz is a 3rd round rookie that was basically 5th on the depth chart starting the season. It's pretty hard to get a fair sample of a player when you only target him 23 times in a 17-game season. As I've posted here many times, even though the Browns WR's did not receive a PFF rating above 73, the stats below illustrate just how much Stefanski suppressed the WR passing game in Cleveland - injured Baker or not.

Landry 87 targets 53 receptions 570 yards catch percentage 59.8%
Peoples-Jones 58 targets 34 receptions 597 yards catch percentage 58.6%
Higgins 47 targets 24 receptions 275 yards catch percentage 51.1%
Schwartz 23 targets 10 receptions 135 yards catch percentage 43.5%

Total 215 targets 121 receptions 1577 yards catch percentage 56.2%

Cincinnati Bengals
Chase 128 targets 81 receptions 1455 yards catch percentage 63.3%
Higgins 110 targets 74 receptions 1091 yards catch percentage 67.3%
Boyd 94 targets 67 receptions 828 yards catch percentage 71.3%

Total 332 targets 222 receptions 3374 yards catch percentage 66.8%

Chase by himself almost had more yards receiving than all 4 Browns receivers. Receiving yards more than doubled what Cleveland was able to produce. Wow, and to think the Bengals were able to post these kind of numbers and still have 1200 yard rusher. Cincinnati's scheme has them in the Super Bowl - Stefanski's 2021 tweaked scheme has the Browns at home.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: THROW LONG
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
With the way teams are throwing for record yards and how
The rules of game have clearly shifted to favor the passing
Game, WRs drafted in.RDs 1 to 3 are expected to.come
In and make contributions right away
Look.at the rookie WRs coming in and making a mark
Already in the league over the last couple years
Jefferson, Smith, Chase,McLauren, Hill, Johnson etc etc

And yeah 3rd Rd WRs can.come in and make plays as rookies
Look.at Dionte Johnson of the Steelers
Played.for Toledo. Rookie year catches 50 something passes
This year catches 101.

The Browns recent history is notorious for missing on WRs
In the draft. Robiskie, Massaquio, etc etc.

Schwartz is nothing special.
If he was good Alabama would have recruited him

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the flaw in your logic is "injured Baker or not".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE #1923035 02/01/22 02:25 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE

Wasted draft pick.

Schwartz sure ticked me off this season. He looked either lost or disinterested on the field on more than a few occasions and he had a couple drops in crucial situations. Twice it looked like he stopped a route allowing an interception. If he doesn't step it up early on next season it's time put this in the bust column.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
He probably doesn't want to be here and is doing it on purpose.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not really a flaw but a historical fact. When Stefanski took over the OC job in Minnesota he immediately sliced the passing offense by 26.7%. When he came to Cleveland, he immediately cut the passing offense here by 9% in 2020. More importantly though, OBJ had his average targets per game cut 30.7% from 2019 to 2020. Landry had his average targets per game cut 16.4% from 2019 to 2020. In 2021, Stefanski's scheme again cut the passing offense by 14.0% from 2020 and a two-year reduction of 21.7% in the Browns passing game from the end of 2019 to the end of 2021. From 2020 to 2021, OBJ had his average targets per game cut another 7.8%. Landry had his 2021 targets per game stay about the same as 2020. It can be said that the drop was due to Mayfield's injury but a trend shows that for 3 straight years Stefanski has made cuts to the passing game particularly at the WR position and it doesn't matter if Mayfield was hurt or not.

If that in itself isn't a major concern, being able to compete in 2022 becomes a bigger issue considering the Division Champ and Super Bowl finalist Cincinnati Bengals will be sporting a 1,200-yard rusher and a passing offense that will throw the ball 20% more than the Browns. Today, the Browns do not have the horses at WR nor the game plan to compete at such a level week in and week out.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I didn't add OBJ's numbers when with the Browns but if you were interested:

OBJ 34 targets 17 receptions 232 yards catch Percentage 50.0%

Legend
OP Online
Legend
The 49ers and the Titans both run a similar scheme as the Browns.

Honestly I do not have issue with the scheme.

However, when you play against a team. You need to have tools to match up to their weakness.

You want to be able to run when you should and pass when you should.

That also plays out in what a game dictates. If you have a lead late and you can eat clock running and moving the chains.
That is an asset.

But, if you trail late and need to score quick. You want a passing game that can to do that.

Ideally, I like balance.

In 2021. The Browns passing attack left the building. There are multiple reasons.

No doubt Berry will try to address those failures.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think a failure to see the drop off by the time round 3 came around, maybe comes around every year. In a 32 team league, the acuity, rofl I don't even know what acuity means, rofl. In a 32 team league the amount of goodness you get in a 3rd round selection of wide receiver Ain't cutting it! They are all gone in the earlier rounds, because Wide Receiver... is an important, points scoring position.

Things have changed since it was a 28 team league. Things have changed since they added supplemental picks into the process.

FATE #1923055 02/01/22 04:06 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wasted draft pick.

My biggest disappointment in the draft was missing out on WR Nico Collins in the second round. As soon as we made the deal for JOK with our higher third round pick, I knew it was probably going to happen.

Carolina used the pick to stockpile more as Houston leapfrogged us to snag Collins (with our own pick mad). I felt like Schwartz was our consolation pick, if our FO had him graded higher than Collins it's probably a damn good thing he wasn't available because they would look like absolute idiots.

JOK is going to stud out for many years to come. I would not pass on him for any available receiver at the time.

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I think all of us knew he would need some work and time to develop.

Apparently not all of us.

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: oobernoober
T
Legend
Legend
T
Landry 87 targets 53 receptions 570 yards catch percentage 59.8%
Peoples-Jones 58 targets 34 receptions 597 yards catch percentage 58.6%
Higgins 47 targets 24 receptions 275 yards catch percentage 51.1%
Schwartz 23 targets 10 receptions 135 yards catch percentage 43.5%

I remember wayy back in the old days of about Mohammed Massequoi and Greg Little, making a post on who would be the first Brown to get to 37 catches on the year, because about everyone was going to get there, and beyond.

In memory of that, I think not getting Peoples-Jones to 37 catches on the year and not getting Higgins to 25, ok 25 he was hurt part of the time, catches on the year
actually Not getting Peoples Jones, and Rashard Higgins to 37+ catches on the year each as at least somewhat of a failure of the coaching.

And if it was Bakers' fault, then on whomever didn't bench Baker, (even if it was Jimmy or Dee) and put the backup in, because Case Keenum was 2-0, one against Denver and one against Cincy's backups,
But Everything can't go to the #3 Te, how many catches did Harrison Bryant have?

I still remember, during the season. Everytime a player would make big catch, and the camera would find the player, that player would be spending the next offensive snap on the sidelines. What the footballteam was up with that!

Legend
Legend
I don't think it's A. Schwartz' fault, I think it is analytics fault,

Are you MAcs brother or sister?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg

I think its his mama smile that was too easy wink

Joe Thomas #73
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

gm...might not be wise to go down that avenue..my brother and sister.

As for Schwartz...guy was drafted because some folks in the draft room were overwhelmed with his 40 speed watching his track highlights...but when it comes to football, Schwartz has alligator arms and anytime he goes over the middle he can't seem to break the habit of looking to see if he's about to get hit.

Last edited by mac; 02/01/22 05:28 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1923076 02/01/22 05:41 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

[color:#FFFFCC]gm...might not be wise to go down that avenue..my brother and sister.

/color]

So, Throw is your brother AND your sister? TMI

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Wasted draft pick.

JOK is going to stud out for many years to come. I would not pass on him for any available receiver at the time.
Neither would I, that's not what I said (I know the wording is a little confusing).

When we traded the picks, we gave up the higher of our two 3rd round picks, and I knew it would haunt us... Houston leapfrogged us with our own pick!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1923090 02/01/22 06:49 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I believe it is interesting to note the Bengals draft. Almost every mock draft and talking head had the Bengals taking Penai Sewell the OT in the first round. Burrow was injured and most felt the priority was to protect him. Burrow apparently convinced them to pick Chase.

Burrow gets sacked nine times against the Titans. He takes the sacks and then makes it up with throws to Chase and the others.

What the Bengals did can not be ignored.

In order for the Browns to win the North. We will need to improve the offense. Our defense was ranked 5th. I believe we have the best 3 corners in the league with Ward, Newsome and Greedy. Quarterback pressure will be critical to our success.

In fact our defense will be the key to 2022 season.

The offense was putrid. I understand how it came about. But it must improve. Baker must play to the level of the 2020 season. In order for that to happen we need a better receiving room and a deeper bench. You can not have a second string guard playing RT against TJ Watt. Berry must plan for better play from the qb position if Baker is injured or plays poorly.

If the team is behind late and needs to score quickly. We have to be able to do that. We have the run game covered.

We need better play from Baker and the receivers.

Normally I would not go for a receiver in the first round. But this year if the BPA is a receiver we should make that pick.

Schwartz it is all up to him. Get better or get cut.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I have felt as have many others that we won't keep Landry.

Maybe we will.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
hopefully, an offseason will do Schwartz well. Usually, WR's blossom a lot in year 2 or 3.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Although he is under contract. The money is not guaranteed.

So really it will be his call. The cap hit is small.

The Browns are not likely to pay him $15. He will either have to take a cut or he is done. At least that is how I see it.

I really like Jarvis al lot. But this is a business.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I tend it agree, but maybe not. Maybe we decide we need Jarvis for one last season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by bonefish
I believe it is interesting to note the Bengals draft. Almost every mock draft and talking head had the Bengals taking Penai Sewell the OT in the first round. Burrow was injured and most felt the priority was to protect him. Burrow apparently convinced them to pick Chase.

Burrow gets sacked nine times against the Titans. He takes the sacks and then makes it up with throws to Chase and the others.

What the Bengals did can not be ignored.

In order for the Browns to win the North. We will need to improve the offense. Our defense was ranked 5th. I believe we have the best 3 corners in the league with Ward, Newsome and Greedy. Quarterback pressure will be critical to our success.

In fact our defense will be the key to 2022 season.

The offense was putrid. I understand how it came about. But it must improve. Baker must play to the level of the 2020 season. In order for that to happen we need a better receiving room and a deeper bench. You can not have a second string guard playing RT against TJ Watt. Berry must plan for better play from the qb position if Baker is injured or plays poorly.

If the team is behind late and needs to score quickly. We have to be able to do that. We have the run game covered.

We need better play from Baker and the receivers.

Normally I would not go for a receiver in the first round. But this year if the BPA is a receiver we should make that pick.

Schwartz it is all up to him. Get better or get cut.

If Bengals draft Penei Sewell, they arent in the Super Bowl period.
No.defense gameplans.for LT playing RT
Jamar Chase makes that offense go
The Bengals unconventional approach to taking a WR over a OT
Has paid off ......plus they drafted their QBs favorite target in college
That rarely happens
Plus the Bengals invested in.high draft picks at WR...not 4th or 5th RDers

The Browns now have to either a. Draft to slow down the Bengals
Or b. Draft weapons to compete with the Bills Chiefs Chargers and Bengals of the AFC
Plus it might help if the Browns draft a WR or 2 that dominated at a high level
In.college. Not one that just ran 1-route and vs the Georgia Southerns of the world

Anyone expecting Schwartz to blossom in year 2 stop tricking yourself.

Legend
Legend
I'm not going to judge Schwartz to harshly for last year. Two reasons,, 1 was that we had an injured QB that wasn't anywhere near what he was the year before. And 2 because he was a rookie.. Another year will tell the story for both him and Baker.

My guess on Jarvis is that he would want out. But again, I don't judge injured talent to harshly. He was banged up most of the year..

Having said that, we saw what happened in Cincy after they got Chase.. What a difference a top receiver like him can be. From a sentimental standpoint, I've been in favor of hanging on to Higgins and a few other guys,, But they won't get you where you want to go. I love DPJ but damn, he's got to hang onto the ball... I could be wrong, but it seems like he dropped too many balls.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
I guess I was pretty down on Schwartz - but Baker's bad play and being a rookie and asked to do more than you are ready for definitely are issues not to be overlooked. Maybe DPJ gets the same pass - I was SO high on him after his rookie year and he was so disappointing this year - but again injury and Baker issues have a huge impact.

I was really down on Taki after his rookie year and he seems to have improved and is a viable contributor. Anything can and does happen.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Even Higgins didn't look nearly the same. Baker's injury had an impact on ALL of our WR's this year.

#gmstrong
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I wasn’t terribly disappointed in Schwartz, he was projected as a project. Now, if he gets the Jerry Rice mindset and trains like a beast, he may end up as a great wide receiver. If he doesn’t, he’ll go down as a fast guy who didn’t do what he needed to do.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Some of you realize that half of Schwartz's yards came in one game last year
And in 6 games he put up.doughnuts . Zeros across the board. He made no.contribution
To the Browns gameplan.that day.
Yet the blame is on Baker on.why Schwartz failed to resemble a NFL WR.
Funny thing how Stefanski couldnt draw up a bubble screen or a quick slant
To get the ball in Schwartz's hand or even run him in motion then run a flat route.
Im.no.fan of Baker but he could have completed any of those routes i.just mentioned

Let's be real. Schwartz cant take a hit over the middle. He scared.
Schwartz is a wasted 3rd pick. He wont go.up.and attack the ball
Im.sure next year he will grab 20 balls , half in garbage 4th q. time and people
Will go." Let's give him next year and next year"

1 member likes this: mac
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you're saying the fact that Stefanski didn't draw those plays up for Schwartz means Schwartz is scared?

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Anthony Schwartz

Link Copied to Clipboard