I
5 years ago when Mayfield was drafted, the rose colored glasses
Part of the fanbase proclaimed the Browns were headed
In the right direction. Super Bowl was in the sights
Even alot of the highly visible football mouthpieces
Had the Browns locked for a SB.
Since that time, the Browns have shown glimpses
Of being a top 4 AFC team.
The roster is plenty talented.best oline in the NFL.
Best backfield in the NFL.
potentially the best young secondary in the AFC.

But this team has underachieved.
What is holding this franchise back from a SB appearence?
You cant say injuries. Every team deals with injuries
Is the answer complicated?

How close is this to being a SB contender realistically?
It is the only team in the North not.have won a AFC Championship game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
We got a great running game but we need a couple of studs in the Receiving end (WR or TE) to get the O to a dangerous level.

Defense win Championships so we got to build that DL to one of greatness. We got the DBs we have JOK at LB with others...DL has to be built up. Garrett is a stud, Richardson and Larry O being let go was a big time mistake if you ask me. We got to get 3 more studs at least for the DL...FA and draft.

jmho once we have that then we can win championships!!!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Baker was drafted in April of 2018. That wasn't five years ago. It will have been four years ago in April.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by eotab
We got a great running game but we need a couple of studs in the Receiving end (WR or TE) to get the O to a dangerous level.

Defense win Championships so we got to build that DL to one of greatness. We got the DBs we have JOK at LB with others...DL has to be built up. Garrett is a stud, Richardson and Larry O being let go was a big time mistake if you ask me. We got to get 3 more studs at least for the DL...FA and draft.

jmho once we have that then we can win championships!!!
Do you its a scheme issue thats holding the Browns back

T
Legend
Legend
T
What is holding this franchise back from a Super Bowl.
You could start with my signature, and screen name.

'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
' (Same story since the 1990's ^)
In 2021... After watching them get dominated by teams with vastly lesser talented players, and the success of teams that fit that mold like the success in 2021-22 of the Cardinals, Chargers, Titans, Patriots, ... bills, ... 49ers and rams, if not the raiders, ...
Then it brings me to ask,
What are the other teams doing?
If the Browns can't get performance out of their parts, then it feels like they are a 1000 miles away.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
With solid quarterback play, 1 excellent deep threat at WR, and an upgrade at ILB and DT, I think 2 years.

With subpar QB play (thus looking to start over at that position in 2023), a continued inability to stop opposing TEs and at least one of our own TEs not stepping up consistently (and a tough AFCN for years to come), I'd say we won't be sniffing a SB appearance for the next five years at least.

jmho

Legend
Legend
We have a very good group of core players.

The defense last year was ranked 5th which is excellent. We can be better. Getting Clowney back is important. Or, someone just as good.
Pass rush is key and Berry knows it. Takk played well as the third DE. I hope he can recover.

The reports on Conklin are he is ahead of schedule. He is very important to the OL.

Obviously, the pass game must be better. Baker must play to his highest level for the offense to work. Berry will upgrade the receiver position. Baker will be expected to play well. He can be good enough to win with. We just need solid consistent play. Protect the ball. Berry has to be convinced by Baker to earn an extension. It is up to Baker.

We have the run game.

Some are critical of the offensive scheme. And, some believe Stefanski will not change. i disagree with that take. I believe KS will adapt and improve as a head coach. He has the right mental makeup to be self critical. Kyle Shanhan is considered a great offensive mind. Our offense is very close the 49ers.

I believe the pass will game change. DPJ and Schwartz maybe the only returning players. Schwartz may not even make the team. Jarvis's return is also a question. We will most likely add free agent receivers like a Chris Godwin. We will most likely draft receivers as well.

How close we are to a Super Bowl will depend upon the offense playing way better than last year.

I think the defense could be exceptional if we can bring qb pressure in waves. We have the DB's.

Winning games is often determined by reliable field goal kicking. We must fix that.

Finally, health is critical. You can not lose key players. Depth can not be a huge drop off when injury happens.

We are good enough "if" things go our way and we get good enough play from the quarterback position.

C
Legend
Legend
C
A QB away. So not close.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
All boils down to injuries. Healthy? Might be next year. Injured? There’s no time limit.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Is a team that adds Dishone Kizer fixing the problem of being a quarterback away? What about a team that adds NY Giants Qb. Daniel Jones? What about Trevor Lawrence, or ... Trey Lance? (what kind of a point am I trying to make?) only that the properties of the Qb might not be the problem, it may be what the Browns do with the Qb once he gets to them that is the problem.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B

Come on Eo. We have been buds on this board for maybe 20 years now. We had OBJ, Jarvis Landry, and Hooper. Before they came here they were every bit classified as studs at their positions.

I am not going to get in to the debate on where the problem exists, but I seriously doubt all 3 lost their skills for natural reasons once they came to Cleveland. Something other than receivers is the problem.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: DeisleDawg, ScottPlayersFacemask
P
Legend
Legend
P
I like your breakdown. I'll sum mine up a little more. We already have a top 5 defense. If we can come up with a top 10 offense to combine with that top 5 defense we have as good a chance as anyone.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I figure I've got 20 years of living left,so the answer is 21 years away

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Thanks.

We had a number of guys on one year deals on defense. Clowney, Takk, McDowell, Jackson, Walker, Smith.

Clowney and Takk played DE very well along with Myles. I hope they can return. McDowell is most likely gone. Jackson is replaceable.
I expect we will sign Walker.

The defense should be fine as long as we get the pass rush.

I am confident Berry will make sure of that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by cfrs15
A QB away. So not close.
... or just a year (or even an offseason) away.

fingerscrossed

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by cfrs15
A QB away. So not close.
... or just a year (or even an offseason) away.

fingerscrossed

Bingo.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I like your breakdown. I'll sum mine up a little more. We already have a top 5 defense. If we can come up with a top 10 offense to combine with that top 5 defense we have as good a chance as anyone.
I agree. I had no idea our defense graded out at top 5 though.

We were right in the middle of the pack in points allowed. Defense got boat raced in two games to inflate that number though... and played much better down the stretch.

We lost six games by 6 points or fewer. Defense gave up lead in most of those games. Although the offense had it's chances, I'd like this defense to become a little stingier, if not nastier, with those games on the line. Especially if our offense, QB, and play-caller continue to "pucker" when put in the same position.

Last edited by FATE; 02/07/22 03:45 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think we are in position to contend next year. The Bengals were further away last year than we are this year.

A healthy, 2020 level, Baker Mayfield.
A #1 WR to stretch the D.
Probably a replacement for Landry - because it just doesn't feel like he's going to be here.
Resign Clowney. Probably resign Harrison. Get two starters for the DL interior.
Hope Conklin is back close to 100%.
I'd like an upgrade at MLB.
Upgrade depth wherever you can - especially OL.

I think you can go all the way with that. Luck, injuries, officiating - all need to be evenly split in terms of bouncing for and against us.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by BCbrownie

My number might be a little less than that, but I sort of go with your theory.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We must have a reliable field goal kicker.

We can not have a guy who is not deadly from inside the forty. And good from 40 to 55.
Way to many close games to be closing your eyes when the kicker comes out. This is a must fix.

Staying healthy is luck and having major injuries is bad luck. Not much that you can do there.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I agree we need some play makers (I’d like to draft Jeremy Ruckert in the 3rd-4th round).

Interesting to see you changed your stance of years saying dime a dozen/solid receivers to now needing studs. I don’t mean that as a negative, just found it interesting.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask

I agree we need some play makers (I’d like to draft Jeremy Ruckert in the 3rd-4th round).

Interesting to see you changed your stance of years saying dime a dozen/solid receivers to now needing studs. I don’t mean that as a negative, just found it interesting.

I defiantly agree on Ruckert he is a star in waiting OSU did not use him enough ... JMO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by BCbrownie

My number might be a little less than that, but I sort of go with your theory.

My said after we were married 45 years ago that the Browns will win the Super Bowl the year I die ... tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He has some excellent hands. Very solid receiving TE

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
He has some excellent hands. Very solid receiving TE

Ruckert with Bryant and Njoku would make a fearsome TE Unit ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Pit ! how do they not have a top 5 offense ? but a top 5 defense. I saw Bitonio, Chubb and Teller in the Pro Bowl game representing the offense. Garret and Ward on the defensive side.

I really thought the Offense was going to rock this season ! Hopefully the Browns can put a top 5 defense and offense if not better on the field this season.. My fear is as one is good the other is not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FATE
I'd like this defense to become a little stingier, if not nastier, with those games on the line.

The Defense had many injuries also, just never heard why Garrets name wasn't being called more. He was dealing with injuries, but it wasn't spoken of as much as Bakers. Bakers injury over shadowed most of the others.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Ooof! How did I overlook a kicker. A definite need. An upgrade at TE would be nice. Not essential.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
But this team has underachieved.
What is holding this franchise back from a SB appearence?
You cant say injuries. Every team deals with injuries
Is the answer complicated?

Like the question and thread !

looking back to "99" there is only one thing that hasn't changed. Ownership has changed, the front office , the coaches, the players, fans !!

What hasn't changed ? the one thing ? The stadium that was built in a hurry ! yes the dang stadium ! Change the stadium, put a retractable dome over it. Heck tear it down and build a new one !!

Honestly I wish the Browns would get a hurry up on it because I have lost my father relatives and friends who wanted to see a SB in Cleveland and never got the chance and my ass is lucky every new season to be around ! so please someone figure this out because the thought of having to wait much longer is going to be the death of me !! lol

To answer your question.. I just don't know !!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Our number one issue keeping the Browns from making the Superbowl is quality depth.

Depth prevents you from overusing your starters. Depth is needed to pick up the slack when injuries do occur. Depth is the backbone of special teams.

A football season is a war of attrition. Very few teams can finish the season with all their prize starters. Teams combat that by trading for replacements. Teams can get lucky and not lose many.

In theory, having the best 2nd and 3rd options trumps all others' secondary options. Having sufficient options allow you sustainability. You need the right players to execute your designed schemes. Otherwise, you're downsizing your playbook to fit the talent.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bugs
Our number one issue keeping the Browns from making the Superbowl is quality depth.

Depth prevents you from overusing your starters. Depth is needed to pick up the slack when injuries do occur. Depth is the backbone of special teams.

A football season is a war of attrition. Very few teams can finish the season with all their prize starters. Teams combat that by trading for replacements. Teams can get lucky and not lose many.

In theory, having the best 2nd and 3rd options trumps all others' secondary options. Having sufficient options allow you sustainability. You need the right players to execute your designed schemes. Otherwise, you're downsizing your playbook to fit the talent.

I just thought I'd quote this post, because CLE fans need to read it more than once.
We have too much talent drop-off from starters to 2's.
We have too much talent drop-off from 2's to 3's.

Added bonus: when you construct a team in this fashion, you also build in longevity. The team can contend for years because the roster is deep and balanced.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. I am just not sure how long you can keep or afford depth. I think the teams with depth are more or less a bit lucky to have it.

With us, a part of that may be analytics. The flaw with analytics IMO is that later in drafts teams might be looking for that boom or bust player. I am not saying we don't need some of that, but you also need solid special teams players and I think you might be better suited finding those needs with the 3 star guys...guys who started at smaller schools as backers, DB's, etc.

Maybe in a short draft you don't need to draft those guys, but I sometimes wonder how many players are brought on board with the understanding that the only way they make the team is as a special teams guy, and I am not talking about kickers or returners.

I might be thinking out loud here, but something tells me there are a lot of guys who would make pretty damn good special team guys who will never be starters, or even very good position back-ups. I have always heard that the special teams coach gets to pick the last guy on the roster...a special teams player. I wonder if that is still true, and if so, maybe that number needs to be 2 players.

When it comes to special teams around the league, it is usually just 2-3 players on kicks that make a difference on a regular basis. Sometimes just 1 player.

Teams always talk about the importance of special teams, but the special teams coach is usually given the leftovers. Guys with talent no doubt, but little interest in playing the role. Each unit needs a few guys who are viewed as special teams starters. Cribbs was a special teams starter. A guy who in college lacked some of the skill at his position. He was never going to be a NFL QB, but a guy who played his ass off every kick. That 3 star kid I mentioned who had a nice long NFL career as a special teams player.

Teams could go to nearly any small conference team and find that all-conference LB or whatever who isn't going to be a NFL backer, but could be a great special teams starter

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
In the absence of knowing exactly where to put this - I'll place it here. I think many of us think one of - if not the - single biggest needs on the team is a genuine #1 WR.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pros-and-cons-of-top-5-wide-receivers-2022-nfl-draft-chris-olave

This is PFF's take on the top 5 WR candidates. One of the WR not on this list is who Dane Brugler has us taking in his first mock - Treylon Burks.

13. Cleveland Browns — Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
The Browns passing offense desperately needs another playmaker and Burks has the ability to create big plays. He has an outstanding blend of size (6-3, 228) and speed (4.45) with the tracking skills and catch radius to be a quarterback’s best friend. Burks, who led the SEC with 22 plays of 20-plus yards in 2021, reminds me of a linebacker-sized Deebo Samuel.

Legend
Legend
In the draft thread I put some good links of the top guys.

Burks is one of them.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
Pit ! how do they not have a top 5 offense ? but a top 5 defense. I saw Bitonio, Chubb and Teller in the Pro Bowl game representing the offense. Garret and Ward on the defensive side.

I really thought the Offense was going to rock this season ! Hopefully the Browns can put a top 5 defense and offense if not better on the field this season.. My fear is as one is good the other is not.

I'm not sure we know exactly what we have. Baker played with a torn labrum in his shoulder since week 3. I'm sure there will be at least some upgrades at the WR position. So it's possible we will have a top 5 offense next season. But with circumstances being what they were, we didn't have one in the 2021 season.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you and Clem about depth. But I think it goes deeper than just using the word depth. If you look at the teams who always seem to have depth, they are mostly established teams who have had the same HC and system for many years. They draft players and then develop those players over time in an established system. They bring players up through the pipeline. Their team mates have been in the system for years. Help in learning and fitting into the system not only comes from their coaching staff but from team mates who surround them.

There's a tried and true method for building depth and I don't think we're quite there yet. The salary cap doesn't allow you to just go out and sign quality players in the FA market to fill all of your depth needs. That only comes with a combination of developing players and signing FA's. Quality depth comes from and is developed through the draft among very established teams with stability at the HC level.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't know how much I'd complain about our depth when we just had the season we had. Our depth (and sometimes our depth's depth) was spending time starting, and we kept many games close.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
but, ultimately, we lost many of them because we were limited by our depth.

Our problem was we had to go so deep into our depth, particularly at the OT spots. Remember, at points, we were starting the 4th and 5th string OT's and we were even playing a backup OG at OT at one point because the OT wasn't ready to see the field.
It's nearly impossible to go that deep at a position and NOT have it affect what you can do, much less when that position has to stop every top tier edge rusher in the league.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Anyone the Browns draft in the 1st has to be a certain age young, so i'll ask if he fits in the under age 22 by opening day category. Guide posts or something they call it. ( I disagree with that fwiw.)

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
How close are the Browns to a SB?...

It's an UNKNOWN...!

#1..If the franchise operates as they did this past season...the answer is NEVER..!

.....let me qualify my NEVER answer...If those in charge..Stefanski and the analytics boys and ownership..if they fail to learn from the mistakes they made last season, our Browns, the players, are doomed !
.......if those running this franchise continue to believe it's a good idea to play an injured #1 QB while a healthy backup QB sits on the bench..the players will never be able to overcome that mistake...a mistake created by the Browns franchise...Ownership, analytics, management and coaching.

Just what the hell was GM Berry trying to prove by insisting or agreeing with the decision to continue playing an injured Mayfield, I'll never know.

To fix this problem, the coaching staff, along with GM Berry need to find a backup QB that they feel is good enough to take over and lead the team to enough wins to make the playoffs even if the #1 QB is injured. IMO, last season the Browns.. "already had the right backup QB in position".. to step in and lead the team to enough wins to make the playoffs and give the team a chance to compete in the playoff hunt.

I have no idea what ownership, analytics, management and the coaching staff, WHERE TRYING TO PROVE by playing an INJURED #1 QB..WHILE THEIR HEALTHY #2 QB SAT ON THE BENCH...??

Whomever is responsible for playing an injured Mayfield over a healthy Keenum should be held responsible for their decision.

IMO, that decision cost the team a chance to make the playoffs!

Ownership, analytics, management and coaching must address this issue and make sure they groom the Browns backup QB well enough to take over if the #1 QB is injured.

Last edited by mac; 02/08/22 05:51 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How close are.the Browns to a SB appearence?5555

Link Copied to Clipboard