Next Thread
Print Thread
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, Jimmy Johnson has been gone from coaching for many years....but his important attributes he wanted in players sure seem relevant today:

Intelligence – “Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a dumb guy. I want smart players. They get better and better and better. My first four picks with the Dallas Cowboys (were) all Academic All-Americans.” He later added, “The same problem with players getting in trouble on social media are knuckleheads. I don’t see smart players getting in trouble on social media. It’s usually the knuckleheads.”
Production – “I want a playmaker.”
Passion – “I want them to be gym rat. I want them to love the game. I want them to love competing. I want them to be passionate.”
Work Hard – “I want them to be hard workers.”
Character – “I want them to have character because you can’t win with bums.”
Standard Setters – “I really on them (great players) to set the standard for the other players.”

I'm glad our QB has gotten off social media....number one applies. We got some great mileage from Malik McDowell, yet trouble seems to follow him. We violated this rule with know problem players like Josh Gordon and Johnny Manziel, both didn't have the intelligence to stay out of trouble.

I hope our love of analytics factors in intelligence and character....they are keys to sustained excellence. Go Browns!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Just to throw a name out there that might suit these characteristics - Alec Pierce, Cinc WR, who graduated with an engineering 5yr program in 4 yrs, and has some nice, but not great stats....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
An all Nick Chubb team.

We actually have some players that fit all that.

Myles, Chubb, Ward, Newsome, JOK, Bitonio, Teller maybe more that are core players.

They fit that model.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Jimmy Johnson's Wisdom:
Johnny Knoxville's impulse control
Ronald Macdonald's fashion guide
Tom Greene the job reference,
Kevin Hart on staying quiet in libraries

Colin Cowherds guide to diffusing arguments
Chris Collinsworth's being confrontational.
and 13 others that cross the line... Books on an imaginary bookshelf.
including books by
Terry Bradshaw
Pamala Anderson, Ellen DeGeneres, Rosanne, Michael Vick, Stephen A Smith, Kim Kardashian, Ron White,
... they cross the line. frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Jimmy had / has hair issues....I don't get your football response.

Go Browns!!!

H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Agree, our front office has inherited some great smart accountable guys. Sure hope they continue on the accountability front and draft guys with great traits along with athletic ability. JMHO, if you only get one year or so from a guy, was it smart to invest in him or not. Malik is still with the team and was productive, but guys with troubled pasts seem to me to be not what the organization fosters.
Go Browns!!!

T
Legend
Legend
T
Football wise, I disagree with it. Because of it rejecting so many players on non football on the field related reasons. And having seen so many players do well in games, that wouldn't have fit.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Investments are not all equal. A first round draft pick or a long term, high dollar FA contract is a huge investment. Malik received a one year 660k dollar contract. While it's true that's still an investment, it's a very small investment with no long term impact for the team. Taking a flier on a guy isn't a bad thing if you do it in the manner the Browns did. I'd say we got a pretty good return on that investment. To know how much of a return you got on an investment you have to first consider what it was you invested to begin with.

The only one who turned out to be the loser here was Malik.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think you should go back and re read the Malik thread.

I am not sure what happened, but he was fine about an hour before the incident.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not really trying to judge him. That certainly wasn't the point I was trying to make. My point was about the risk/reward factor in making investments. Malik had somewhat of a questionable past and the investment reflected that. Unless Malik can prove that he was drugged his time here is probably over. The way the investment was packaged the team will lose nothing if he doesn't.

I certainly wish the best for this young man and hope that if he was in fact drugged, that he can prove it and continue his career in the NFL.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Yet Jimmy Johnson had Micheal Irvin, a cokehead on his team.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
Yet Jimmy Johnson had Micheal Irvin, a cokehead on his team.

And as far as "intelligence", one might question Leon Lett's.

[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com]

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
I think you should go back and re read the Malik thread.

I am not sure what happened, but he was fine about an hour before the incident.

What does "fine" mean? Who said he seemed fine? Maybe he was fine until he removed his clothes and went for a stroll.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by hitt
JMHO, Jimmy Johnson has been gone from coaching for many years....but his important attributes he wanted in players sure seem relevant today:

Intelligence – “Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a dumb guy. I want smart players. They get better and better and better. My first four picks with the Dallas Cowboys (were) all Academic All-Americans.” He later added, “The same problem with players getting in trouble on social media are knuckleheads. I don’t see smart players getting in trouble on social media. It’s usually the knuckleheads.”
Production – “I want a playmaker.”
Passion – “I want them to be gym rat. I want them to love the game. I want them to love competing. I want them to be passionate.”
Work Hard – “I want them to be hard workers.”
Character – “I want them to have character because you can’t win with bums.”
Standard Setters – “I really on them (great players) to set the standard for the other players.”

I'm glad our QB has gotten off social media....number one applies. We got some great mileage from Malik McDowell, yet trouble seems to follow him. We violated this rule with know problem players like Josh Gordon and Johnny Manziel, both didn't have the intelligence to stay out of trouble.

I hope our love of analytics factors in intelligence and character....they are keys to sustained excellence. Go Browns!!

I think everybody looks for that. Who sets out to sign stupid, untalented players?

I do agree with the points, though I don't think a player needs to be an academic all-american. No doubt you don't want a dunce, but they don't have to be in the top 10%. Average works.

Something I like to see is players rooting for other players on their team. Some people are good teammates. Some not so much.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
So he wants players that are smart, high character, strong worth ethic, responsible leaders off the field and productive play-makers on the field.. that doesn't seem like a revelation, that seems like something that every GM of every sport wants.. the problem is they don't just fall off of trees like that.

So, when drafting, the real question becomes which one are you willing to sacrifice when 90% of players don't meet them all....

yebat' Putin
F
Legend
Legend
F
This same Leon Lett? smile
[Linked Image from i.makeagif.com]

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yep, another shining moment for Leon.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Wrong way Ray. Not named Ray, Roy Reigels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Riegels

H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
I'm just wanting OUR team to us their brains when they draft a guy or sign a guy.....several come to mind. Evaluators/ drafters/ owners look at production and athletic ability AND weigh that stuff to high sometimes. Examples, with all the stuff we went thru for these players- Gordon, Manziel, OBJ- for what we gave up in draft stock, time and resources invested......ALL of those drafts/ and trade could of/ SHOULD OF been recognized as dumb. JMHO, let other folks rehabilitate idiots/ societal misfits/ showboats.....how much team chemistry has been lost trying to fix guys. Did anyone think OBJ was going to be happy in a run first offense? Really- get real.

Go Browns!!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hind sight is always 20/20.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jimmy Johnson's wisdom- Browns today!!

Link Copied to Clipboard