Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1924881 02/13/22 11:07 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
March 16th is the beginning of Free Agency.

The Draft begins April 28th.

I am interested if anyone believes there will be any shockers in Trades, Free Agency, or the Draft from the Browns?

This would sure qualify as a shocker:

The Browns trade Baker Mayfield to Seattle for Russell Wilson. The cost is Baker and two first rounders 2022, and 2023.

All of the other potential quarterbacks in free agency, trade, or the draft. Just don't measure up with the risk and true value. Carr, Garoppolo, Trubisky, Watson, Rodgers, or, any qb in the draft.

Wilson is an indisputable upgrade over Baker. Wilson on the Browns makes the Browns a Super Bowl contender now.

Wilson was 33 in November. He has at least five years of high level play in him. He takes great care of himself. He is a very disciplined guy.
The Browns could upgrade the receivers in free agency and with a second rounder.

The time is now. We have a core of players who are in their prime now. Wilson gives the Browns a chance to strike right now.

I have no idea if it will happen but it would be a shocker.

Any others? Does anyone agree?

Just a topic because it is real slow after today.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I’m always very leery about giving away draft capital like that, but, you make a sound argument. I’d like BM to become a Russell Wilson, in my perfect world. He may or may not do that. However, your view on the trade making the Browns a dangerous opponent right now is valid. Even tough Wilson isn’t a “running” QB, his ability to make plays with his legs is certainly a level up from BMs.

If it were to happen, and everything goes according to plan, the Browns would really only be giving up 1 high pick, and one in the 25-32 range, which can be replaced by a trade up for a high 2nd rounder, possibly.

Hamfist #1924893 02/13/22 12:41 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Rodgers is not a real possibility IMO.

Neither is Watson because so much needs to happen with him.

None of the others that could happen are in my opinion real upgrades over a healthy Baker.

Getting Wilson probably will not happen. But if Seattle is willing I think the Browns would have interest.

I don't think any other trades will happen. Free agency shockers? I don't think so.

The draft? It would be a shocker if the Browns selected Malik Willis. But I don't think that will happen.

Berry does not strike me as a guy who will reach and gamble in the draft.

Wilson is a known. You know what you are getting. Baker is still a question mark because his performance has been inconsistent. Then there is the matter of his contract.

Wilson's money maybe the hangup. Wilson's contract for the next two years will be about $20 per year. In 2024 UFA.

He will get a mega deal. That could break a team in cap space.

Ideally Baker plays 2022 and plays great. Browns get him signed for fair market value maybe 4 years for $100m.

Lots to consider. Can Baker win a Super Bowl? I don't know. I see him as a guy you can win with. Not a guy you can win because of.

B
Legend
Legend
B
My feeling is we aren't going to be big players in FA. At least with outside players. I think we try to sign some of our own guys. Maybe a few lesser guys in the 2nd or 3rd wave of signings.

Maybe we go after a receiver, but we already have Landry for another year. Maybe we just stick with him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Neither is Watson because so much needs to happen with him.

What actually is going on there? All I can find are articles saying the grand jury could wrap up their investigation by the end of January, and that he's trying to settle some of the cases out of court.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1924905 02/13/22 01:30 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Lots of unknowns.

Settlements out of court?

Criminal charges? NFL suspension?

Unclear. Plus the Texans want a boatload. Watson made it clear. He will not play there.

He will play again. When and where is up in the air

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the word shocked will be an individual thing. People have preconceived notions of what should or shouldn't happen. Sometimes when the team has FA's in for talks, fans think they should offer them more or less than they do. So you will have some people shocked that a player wasn't offered more money. You will have fans shocked that we paid so much for certain players. You will have fans shocked at the positions the FO did or didn't address and or how they addressed those positions.

The exact same thing will happen in the draft in terms of who the pick is, which position those picks were and whether they were drafted too high.

As for the QB position I just don't see this organization being the type to give away the farm for a temporary band aid at QB. Especially in terms of Wilson.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Jarvis leaving may not be a shocker but it would be a surprise.

I will throw in trading Kareem. I would call that a shocker.

Popular player. Productive and still young and at a good price. So it would shock me. At the same time I could see it happening.

I still believe something will happen at the quarterback position. I would be surprised if we stayed with both Baker and Keenum. Unless we added a guy in the draft in some round.

I don't think Berry can look at the qb room and say this is enough. I could for sure be wrong.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Rams went all in and won the Bowl.

They traded a former number one pick quarterback Goff to the Lions for Stafford.

They gave up Goff two first round picks and a third. Stafford is 34 years old.

Russell Wilson is 33 years old.
========================================================================

Would the Browns make the same trade for Wilson?

Wilson will cost about $40 for the first two years. Then would be a free agent. He would be looking for a big pay day.

The question that Berry has to look at is: can we win with Baker or do we need Wilson to win a Super Bowl.

I like Baker. I would love for him to win in Cleveland. But Wilson is a better quarterback and the Browns would have a better chance with him.

That is the way I see it. Yes, if I were Berry I would make that trade.

That does not mean the Browns could not win with Baker. It means Wilson gives us a better chance.

I wonder how Berry see it??

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
Jarvis leaving may not be a shocker but it would be a surprise.

I will throw in trading Kareem. I would call that a shocker.

Popular player. Productive and still young and at a good price. So it would shock me. At the same time I could see it happening.

I still believe something will happen at the quarterback position. I would be surprised if we stayed with both Baker and Keenum. Unless we added a guy in the draft in some round.

I don't think Berry can look at the qb room and say this is enough. I could for sure be wrong.

I don't think trading Hunt would be a shocker. I actually expect it more than not.

Chubb is the clear cut #1 guy. D Johnson has proven to be a solid running back who has starter capability, just like Hunt.
I just don't see the Browns extending Hunt after next season. I might float him a number now to see how that goes, a number that fits the team. If it doesn't float, I take whatever we could get in the way of a pick. I think we could probably get a 3rd for the guy...maybe just a 4th.

I think Hunt is ready to go back to being a #1 back and wants to be paid as such.

JMO

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This question in a way ties the post above.

Do the Browns go all in? That to me would be keep Hunt and trade for Wilson.

This is not an easy call by any means.

The Browns have not won it all since 1964. I have been waiting. I have had patience. I am running out of time.

I want a Super Bowl. At some point you have to go for it.

Legend
Legend
is Wilson a surefire upgrade over Baker?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1925081 02/14/22 09:50 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I didn't see him play in 2021. But he was a top 3 or 4 QB in the NFL before that. So I would say yes.... but he also is in control of where he can be traded to I believe? And realistically I think you'd have to give up more than two first round picks for him.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Swish #1925082 02/14/22 09:51 AM
Legend
Legend
Just as important, does Wilson have a trade restriction in his contract, and how much would he demand in order to waive it. (Not to mention that he might not want to come here anyway)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Swish #1925083 02/14/22 09:51 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Baker will get back to 100% good health and soon be the QB he has shown to be and can grow as we are showing stability - I see a great QB in our midst and all this talk about going all in etc, etc..yeah go all in and get some stud to catch some balls. Stafford without Kupp would not have won that game last night. Where is our Kupp? Go all in...I'm for it. Defenses win Championships!!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1925085 02/14/22 09:55 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by eotab
Defenses win Championships!!

Well a combination of great defensive player(s) - adjusting the scheme from 1st half to second half - and a bad Cinci OL certainly decided the game yesterday. Interestingly - I don't believe Burrow will come in for any criticism and don't think he should, but I can't help feel that if that was Baker, many would be saying he wilted under pressure and held on to the ball when he knew the blitz and pressure was coming.

Swish #1925086 02/14/22 10:09 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yes.

That does mean Baker is worthless. Nor does it mean we can not win with him.

However, the record is clear. Wilson is the better quarterback.

Goff was a two time Pro Bowl player who went to the Super Bowl. He was traded for Stafford.

Baker has never been a ProBowl player and has one playoff win.

Russell Wilson is a 9 time Pro Bowl player who has been in two Super Bowls and won one.

He is one of the greatest dual threat quarterbacks in history.

Yes he is an upgrade over Baker.

Swish #1925090 02/14/22 10:32 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Swish
is Wilson a surefire upgrade over Baker?

Today, yes. Long-term... probably/possibly.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
Just as important, does Wilson have a trade restriction in his contract, and how much would he demand in order to waive it. (Not to mention that he might not want to come here anyway)

He has a no-trade clause for 2 more years.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1551972/seahawks-russell-wilson-no-trade-clause-future/

Previously, Wilson reportedly said there were 3 teams he would waive the clause for: the Broncos, Giants, or Saints.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/report-russell-wilson-would-waive-no-trade-clause-for-three-teams

(The Saints might be off his list now that Payton has departed.)

Last edited by Dave; 02/14/22 10:42 AM.
1 member likes this: AZBrown
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Correction please.

"That does 'Not' mean Baker is worthless.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
If we resign or tag and no one bites D Johnson. How about trading Baker for Wilson, then trade Hunt (Kamara might be in jail) for Michael Thomas, and sign Godwin/Robinson. Not too shocking

eotab #1925217 02/15/22 09:54 AM
Legend
Legend
Baker will get back to 100% good health and soon be the QB he has shown to be and can grow as we are showing stability - I see a great QB in our midst and all this talk about going all in etc, etc..yeah go all in and get some stud to catch some balls. Stafford without Kupp would not have won that game last night. Where is our Kupp? Go all in...I'm for it. Defenses win Championships!!

jmho

if baker is the guy we need a big body WR. do we get that in the draft or FA?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1925221 02/15/22 10:15 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
What we do with Jarvis will really make an impact. Without Jarvis I could see a 1st round WR and a high caliber FA signing.

There are 2 or 3 top tier WR's in FA - and at least 4 viable WR's to draft. And DPJ is hopefully going to keep progressing. DPJ on the outside as the #2 - another bigger #1 on the opposite side, and Jarvis or Jarvis's replacement in the slot.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Swish #1925233 02/15/22 11:44 AM
Legend
Legend

jmho

If ANY QB is the guy, we need to get a LOT better at WR.

Name me one defense that would be worried about Landry, DPJ, and Schwartz as the top receivers? I really can't think of one. Schwartz hasn't even truly earned his roster spot, yet... he was here purely because of his investment and future potential and the hope that he could do special teams stuff, not because of anything he had really earned. Landry is great, but he's hitting the point where he isn't what he was. I don't know how much is injuries and how much is something else, but he hasn't been himself the last season and a half. DPJ is a flash in the pan. Like sprinkling water in a hot skillet; sizzles once every so often for about a second or two, then is gone from sight. He's not a #1 by any means.
So, we have two #2's (at best) and a #3 that should probably be a #6.

I don't care who our QB is.... they need better than this at their disposal.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

3 members like this: FATE, mgh888, WSU Willie
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Sign Allen Robinson in Free Agency as the one big splash Free Agent.
Then Cut Jarvis Landry
Draft Treylon Burks at #13
Double down and draft Alec Pierce in round 3 of the draft

#1 - Allen Robinson
#2 - Treylon Burks
#3 - Donovan Peoples Jones
#4 - Anthony Schwartz
#5 - Ryan Switzer

Resign David Njoku
Keep Austin Hooper and Harrison Bryant at tight end

Keep both Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt - Best 1 2 punch in NFL when healthy
Tender a 3rd round offer to D'Earnest Johnson and let him walk in Free Agency
Draft a later round RB for depth

Keep offinsive line in tact Wills, Bitonio, Tretter, Teller, and Conklin with back ups Hudson, Harris, and Micheal Dunn
Then draft in 4th round another tackle to develop

Keep Baker Mayfield
Cut Case Keenum
Sign Free agent Mitch Trubiski - Someone that can win games in the NFL if Baker gets hurt again.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Keep Baker Mayfield
Cut Case Keenum
Sign Free agent Mitch Trubiski - Someone that can win games in the NFL if Baker gets hurt again.

Keenum is 2-0 when filling in for Baker.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
1 member likes this: Frenchy
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg
Keep Baker Mayfield
Cut Case Keenum

This.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I believe since he was an undrafted free agent we have the choice of 1st, 2nd or right of first refusal. I don't think there is a 3rd round option unless the player was drafted in that round, then it is original round tender.

I may be wrong on this though.

It also appears there are downsides of higher round tenders if you have other RFA to deal with. That said I would really like to keep D'Ernest in the fold.

Last edited by FrankZ; 02/15/22 06:30 PM.
FrankZ #1925298 02/15/22 07:19 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I believe since he was an undrafted free agent we have the choice of 1st, 2nd or right of first refusal. I don't think there is a 3rd round option unless the player was drafted in that round, then it is original round tender.

I may be wrong on this though.

It also appears there are downsides of higher round tenders if you have other RFA to deal with. That said I would really like to keep D'Ernest in the fold.

This is correct. There are only 1st, 2nd, and Round they were Drafted tenders, and for an UDFA the last option is simply Right of First Refusal.

In short, we will probably just not tender him and let him go get paid. He's earned that.
He's going to get a good offer that is better than we'll pay, and nobody is going to give us a 2nd rounder for him and the right of first refusal gets us nothing but the option to match the contract, so just let him go get paid and hope he gets a BIG contract. The more he gets paid, the better the chance that we get a compensatory pick next year. We'll take a flyer on a mid-round RB or bring in a slew of UDFA's to see who can stick.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Swish #1925311 02/16/22 07:14 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B

jmho

Sign Christian Kirk in FA and draft Treylon Burkes.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Kirk would be the guy to replace Jarvis if he is not retained.

Burks IMO has the biggest upside of all the receivers in the draft. He has great size, strength, speed, hands. He will blow up the Combine.

He is not as advanced as Wilson. London may offer more flexibility.

But Burks is the guy who has all the tools in one package.

I would love to have both Kirk and Burks.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Instead of trading for Wilson, more of a shocker would be if somehow the Browns got Aaron Rodgers and Devante Adams.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
On shock value alone that would be the biggest shocker.

However, IMO it is the least likely thing to happen.

The real question is way down deep inside right now; what is the organizational view of Baker Mayfield?

Haslam, Berry, Stefanski, DePodesta, AVP what are their honest views of Baker?

Berry, Stefanski, AVP have direct interactions with him. They know him. They know things that none of us do.

They have seen every practice and game throw. They have been in the meetings. They know how the team views Baker. They have the coaches tape of all that has really happened in games. They know when he has been at fault. They have seen the best and worst of Baker.

The absolute best case scenario is; Baker is the man. That the best we have seen of him comes back to be the Standard.

If they make a move for Wilson. We will know what they believe.

If Baker is our starter then this year will be the year he must show himself worthy of a contract extension.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Burks, Wilson, London and Williams despite his injury - would all be viable picks. Williams obviously depending on the health and recovery he shows. I still expect that by April, Williams will go in the first round, maybe in the 24-32 range. Burks sounds like a Debo Samuel clone ... is that too good to be true? Would KS get the most out of that sort of player? Wilson is probably who I would lean towards as fist choice at this point, but then I watched OSU more than any other team this year.

mgh888 #1925395 02/17/22 11:10 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Williams will miss half a year at least.

I am super high on London. Burks is the guy with the biggest upside though.

Wilson is solid. He does a lot of things at a high level.

1 member likes this: mgh888
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Any Shockers ?

Link Copied to Clipboard