Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1925776 02/20/22 10:05 PM
B
bugs Online OP
Dawg Talker
OP Online
Dawg Talker
B
Since OL is a major key to the Browns offense, I thought I start a thread on the offensive lineman.

Tyler Linderbaum, Center from Iowa, may be someone to look at. I remember how Alex Mack contributed. I'm not usually a fan of taking IOL in the first round, but you don't see good Centers ranked this high.

From PFF:
12. C Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa

The best center prospect we've seen in the PFF College era. He was already the highest-graded center in the country in 2020, but he took his game to new heights in 2021, earning a 95.4 overall grade.

Kyle Crabbs Grade: 88.00/100 (First Round Value)

Legend
Legend
Doubt he's there when we pick... also, don't want OL in first round this year... our OL is pretty good... we need play makers... I'll be shocked if we don't go WR at 13

<><

#gmstrong
2 members like this: PastorMarc, FATE
T
Legend
Legend
T
Well it would seem to continue the thinking of the last 58 championshipless years.
Touchdowns matter. Offensive linemen don't score touchdowns, or field goals, or defensively.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
bugs Online OP
Dawg Talker
OP Online
Dawg Talker
B
I get what you are saying, but why overpay on a player that last year would be the fourth or fifth best for that position? What one team had success drafting last year may not be the same this year.

Drafts are not like the grocery store where you can get what you need. Good teams learn to adapt and take advantage of what is available.

Tyler Linderbaum is one of those players that doesn't come along very often at the center position.

I believe there is a trend starting. Teams are building a stronger interior part of the offensive line. It is more cost-effective. They are making more use of the TE to help the tackles. Protecting the QB at lesser expense provides more cap space to add playmakers.

No, I don't think the Browns should start using early draft picks drafting interior linemen. Like JOK last year I think very good players fall to the second day. I do think teams in the middle of the first round will get some very good players because teams early in the round over-drafted.

Unfortunately, I think this year is not much of an advantage drafting early. It will be interesting what Berry does in this draft.

B
Legend
Legend
B
If he is there I think we would be foolish to pass. He might be the best player in the draft, be it non sexy.

Oh, he is absolutely a need. Who doesn't need all-pro type players? He also fills a need because Treeter is about done.

If you are drafting for needs, you aren't doing the best thing for the team.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
The Center from Iowa will be there at 13...but I think we got faith in Tretter he is good and intelligent to lead the OL He sits out a lot cause of his knee but as long as he wants to play he is there ready to go. In the few reps as a starter Harris actually looked good and the kid will continue to get better each season. I don't think Center would be the way to go.

RT for Conklin pending on his health might be the only early reason for OL. Although I like mid rounder Trevor Penning but usually my studs end up climbling up the ladder and end up becoming earlier picks then originally thought. But I like this kid.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
I agree Tab. I don't see a OL in the first round for the Browns.

Conklin I was worried but the reports are good. he is a key player.

I could see a free agent swing guy. Or, maybe a later OL pick to develop .

B
bugs Online OP
Dawg Talker
OP Online
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by eotab
The Center from Iowa will be there at 13...but I think we got faith in Tretter he is good and intelligent to lead the OL He sits out a lot cause of his knee but as long as he wants to play he is there ready to go. In the few reps as a starter Harris actually looked good and the kid will continue to get better each season. I don't think Center would be the way to go.

RT for Conklin pending on his health might be the only early reason for OL. Although I like mid rounder Trevor Penning but usually my studs end up climbling up the ladder and end up becoming earlier picks then originally thought. But I like this kid.

You do realize Tretter just turned 31 this month. How many more years can you rely on Tretter?

Normally, I would agree with you, but in this year's draft, Center may be the value pick.

I remember Alex Mack. He was a pro-bowler for many years. I remembered when Cleveland drafted Alex. Browns Nation went ape s__t. It turned out he was a pretty solid pick. I think this draft has some very similar characteristics as 2009.

O
Legend
Legend
O
We have an heir apparent at C (Nick Harris).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I wouldn't be totally averse to the idea, especially if this draft really is as deep at WR and DE as folks are saying. You could easily get comparable production out of a 2nd round WR as you would a 1st round WR in this year's draft.

Tretter is golden here, but he's a free agent after this season and if this kid is this good then we fix a future hole before it happens.
I think that a Right Tackle is a FAR more pressing need if we were to go OL in the 1st, but, again, if the kid is this good, then it is hard to pass on.... he could well be BPA at #13.
Additionally, releasing Tretter pre-June 1st is a savings of $8.23 million on this year's cap. We have a TON of money tied up in that OLine as well as a bunch of age. It needs to start getting younger and cheaper at some point.
Tretter & Conklin are the obvious, immediate, places to look. Bitonio will start to get looked at in a year or two, though, he just needs to stay until he chooses to retire.

But, for as much as we need help on the OLine, I really want to get this offense some weapons that actually scare the bejeezus out of a defense and we are sitting perfectly to get one of the best WR's in this class.
Though, I guess that begs the question: just how good is that best WR? If they were in last year's class, or the class before that, where would they fall? Sure, they're the tops now, but where do they grade against guys already in the league?

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don’t see why we should be looking to get rid of Tretter. And if we did I would like to have his replacement on hand instead of hoping someone else doesn’t draft him.

This is the exact draft someone should take a center high because he’ll be a starter for years.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by cfrs15
I don’t see why we should be looking to get rid of Tretter. And if we did I would like to have his replacement on hand instead of hoping someone else doesn’t draft him.

Well, IF this were to happen, you wouldn't release Tretter until after the Draft. You don't even have to wait until after June 1 since he is in the last year of his contract, the savings is the same pre- and post-June 1st.
You also wouldn't be pressed to release him at all unless you REALLY needed the additional $8.2 million in cap space to bring someone else in (or do a contract like Baker or Njoku or Ward).

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 02/22/22 01:21 PM.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

Well, IF this were to happen, you wouldn't release Tretter until after the Draft. You don't even have to wait until after June 1 since he is in the last year of his contract, the savings is the same pre- and post-June 1st.
You also wouldn't be pressed to release him at all unless you REALLY needed the additional $8.2 million in cap space to bring someone else in (or do a contract like Baker or Njoku or Ward).

Yes. I just don’t get the rush to replace him. Especially when our first round pick can be used to fill an actual hole on the roster.

P
Legend
Legend
P
This Kid (Tyler Linderbaum) may be as good at his position as Quentin Nelson was at G coming into the draft ... JMO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M

Yes. I just don’t get the rush to replace him. Especially when our first round pick can be used to fill an actual hole on the roster.

Tretter will be back next year and it will be another year for Nick Harris to develop to likely take over in 2023.

After all the money recently invested in the OL and the 1st round pick spent on Wills, the chances of the Browns going OL in the first round are....

Legend
Legend
j/c...

I just looked at the last 30 years of NFL Drafts. Only 16 centers have even garnered a 1st round pick. The highest of the bunch was the Browns Steve Everitt, drafted at 14.

I see seven Pro Bowlers... in 30 years of 1st round centers.

Is Linderbaum a perennial PBer and possible HOF talent? He would be the highest drafted Center since 1976.

Originally Posted by bugs
How many more years can you rely on Tretter?

Well, the easy answer is "at least one".

There is no way (in my mind) you can pass on the bulk of *possible elite* WRs available, at our slot, when that intersects with our area of greatest need.

Big picture? Draft for the future? We need to draft to see if we have a future. At least the future we thought we had planned for.

I draft a WR high, I sign another high-production WR in FA. I find out if this offense, coach and fQB are what I want on my payroll.

That is the only path to the future, and the best way to finish meandering towards an accurate pic of the future. It's now or wait another three years to see if you have a fQB never.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Don't forget we traded Austin Corbett to the Rams for a 5th round pick. Another young guy who the fans wanted run out of town because he was not a pro bowl player right away. He started 17 games for the Rams this year and he has a Super Bowl ring. Just another example of a player who the Browns fans wanted run out of town because they expect pro bowl players after their rookie year banghead

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
He may be starting for the Rams but he is anything but a Pro Bowl player, unlike Teller who is a Pro Bowler.

Corbett was a bust and another poor draft selection by the Doof aka Dorsey.

Legend
Legend
He is no pro bowl player, but he is ten times better than most Browns fans gave him credit for being. Just more proof of Browns fans bashing good players because they are not pro bowl players. Were you one of the posters who wanted him run out of town?????? I don't remember.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Newsflash - I don't run anybody out of town and no I did not bash him, either.

The Browns traded Corbett (2nd round draft pick 33rd overall) for a 5th round pick. In 14 games for the Browns, he started exactly 1 game. He was given the RG position after Zeitler was traded and he was not able to keep the starting job.

B
Legend
Legend
B

And Jo Jo Natson will step in as a stating receiver.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B

It's called planning ahead?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

It's called planning ahead?

We are not in the position to sit a first round pick for a year.

B
bugs Online OP
Dawg Talker
OP Online
Dawg Talker
B
I wouldn't be totally averse to the idea, especially if this draft really is as deep at WR and DE as folks are saying. You could easily get comparable production out of a 2nd round WR as you would a 1st round WR in this year's draft.

Tretter is golden here, but he's a free agent after this season and if this kid is this good then we fix a future hole before it happens.
I think that a Right Tackle is a FAR more pressing need if we were to go OL in the 1st, but, again, if the kid is this good, then it is hard to pass on.... he could well be BPA at #13.
Additionally, releasing Tretter pre-June 1st is a savings of $8.23 million on this year's cap. We have a TON of money tied up in that OLine as well as a bunch of age. It needs to start getting younger and cheaper at some point.
Tretter & Conklin are the obvious, immediate, places to look. Bitonio will start to get looked at in a year or two, though, he just needs to stay until he chooses to retire.

But, for as much as we need help on the OLine, I really want to get this offense some weapons that actually scare the bejeezus out of a defense and we are sitting perfectly to get one of the best WR's in this class.
Though, I guess that begs the question: just how good is that best WR? If they were in last year's class, or the class before that, where would they fall? Sure, they're the tops now, but where do they grade against guys already in the league?

It does bring up an interesting discussion which was my intention.

I get the need at WR. After watching Chase last season, there will be many disappointed fans thinking these receivers will produce the same results.

As good as Chase was/is to the receiver position, you could tentatively state Linderbaum is to the Center position. Saying Nick Harris is the answer is all well and good until a few years from now. Fans are looking at an average receiver and average center wondering why Berry is a poor drafter. I can identify with what GMdawg stated.

FATE brought up some interesting statics regarding drafting a center in the first round. I did not know a Center wasn't drafted early since 1976.

I think many fans, me included, don't really know Berry's true plan to build this team. I am speculating the receiver position is not a key concern. The reason I say this is because the "pass-catchers" were not the key focal point in the play-calling last season. OBJ left not satisfied with the plan. Njoku was not utilized nearly as much as Hooper even though Njoku's receiving numbers were better. Other than OBJ and Landry the receivers were average at best.

So far, Berry drafted a Left-Tackle and Cornerback in the first round and a safety and hybrid-linebacker in the second. If Berry lets Landry walk, he is relying on a third and sixth-round wide receiver to lead the room. We can say he'll fix it by getting a FA receiver, but why let Landry go to pay someone else? Stay tuned to see how this plays out!

B
bugs Online OP
Dawg Talker
OP Online
Dawg Talker
B
We are not in the position to sit a first round pick for a year.

I agree with cfrs15 here. Berry drafts Linderbaum Tretter is gone. Andrew is making an expensive move drafting a center in the first round.

Don't get me wrong I like Tretter, but Linderbaum is projected to be equal or better than Alex Mack. It took Alex three or four games to nail down the position.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Fate,

I posted the same thing about centers in the draft thread on the 11th. I don’t see a need to draft for one this high with other needs, and if we do…there better be a trade back.

—————

Over the past 20 NFL drafts, 10 centers have been selected in the first round. Of those, the highest drafted center was Damien Woody, selected 17th overall by the Patriots back in 1999. The other nine centers have been drafted anywhere from 18th thru 31st, with an average pick of 23. Suffice to say, centers rarely go early in the draft, and on the random year when a center does get selected in the first round, somewhere like #21 overall (where the Bengals are sitting with their first round pick) would more than likely allow a team like the Bengals to select the best center in the draft

Link

Draft history by position

Anything’s possible, but if we are targeting a center….then I would expect a trade back.

Edit: last time a center was drafted close to our pick 13 was Steve Everitt (#14) 1993 Browns

1 member likes this: FATE
O
Legend
Legend
O
Not the same thing. Harris has played some and played pretty ok. His only struggles have been when he's been asked to start at guard.

If Berry thinks the value is there, I don't think he'll hesitate to pull the trigger. I just doubt the math works out in the mid-first round.

If this guy that's God's gift to the center position drops into the back-half of the first or into the second (ala-JOK), then I think that primes Berry to make a move. Berry is a guy that can't ignore value at a draft spot.

Last edited by oobernoober; 02/23/22 09:38 AM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm here too. It's extremely unlikely - bordering impossible - that we draft Linderbaum at #13. . . . [1] because of the top heavy investment in the OL already [2] Teams routinely show you do not need a stud at every slot along the OL to be win a SB [3] We have much bigger needs.

I doubt Linderbaum falls out of the middle of the 1st round and presents as a 'steal' - ALA JOK. He's possibly a top 10 player in the draft - uber athletic, skilled and smart.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg

Don't forget we traded Austin Corbett to the Rams for a 5th round pick. Another young guy who the fans wanted run out of town because he was not a pro bowl player right away. He started 17 games for the Rams this year and he has a Super Bowl ring. Just another example of a player who the Browns fans wanted run out of town because they expect pro bowl players after their rookie year banghead

Are you suggesting that the team traded Corbett because the fans didn't think he was good?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
We traded him because of his on-field performance, limited though it was.

Ironically, getting rid of Corbett opened a spot (and maybe drove the acquisition of) Teller. So the same phenomenon that sent a 1st-round pick to the Rams to start on their SB-winning Oline also had us pick up (arguably) the best guard in football off another team's scrap heap.

So what I'm trying to say (if anything) is... I have no idea what to make of Olinemen that prove they have talent, but only after they leave their first team. It doesn't seem to be limited to highly drafted ones.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I mentioned Linderbaum as a potential player the Browns might take at 13 a couple of weeks ago. My thoughts are that Tretter is gone after this year as he will be a Free Agent and we have to much cap space tied up in the Oline to re-sign him and Conklin plus the fact that in my opinion Linderbaum is probably the best player in this draft. I know we have Harris and he has played OK when called upon but he was a 4th round pick for a reason and there is no guarantee that he could handle the position on a full time basis. I would prefer we take a WR at #13 but if we don't go that route than Linderbaum would be my pick.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well you know, he isn't a pro bowler so he must be a bust. People can't seem to figure out that only 88 players in the entire league make the pro bowl each year. An average of less than three players per team. So you know, all the rest of them are busts. rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
So we’re saying John Dorsey traded a player he picked in the second round the prior the year because the fans didn’t like him?

P
Legend
Legend
P
So we’re saying John Dorsey traded a player he picked in the second round the prior the year because the fans didn’t like him?

Nothing I posted had anything to do with that. I'm not sure how you could have even used your imagination to come up with that. It was in response to this.......

Corbett was a bust and another poor draft selection by the Doof aka Dorsey.

It actually points out two things. Dorsey should probably never made the decision to let him go and that saying because a player doesn't make the pro bowl means he's a bust is a foolish thing to say.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Never said he was a bust because he was not a Pro Bowler.

I said he was a bust (for us) because he could not start anywhere on the OL for the Browns even though they traded Zeitler away expecting him to be the starting RG on the OL in addition to being the 1st pick of the second round (33rd overall).

IMO, that qualifies him as a bust (for the Browns). For the Rams, not so much.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's what happens when you expect a rookie to step right in. He didn't have the time here to know if he was a bust or not. There are posters on here, including myself, who believe that you can't really evaluate a draft for three years. I think that's what happened here. Thanks for clarifying your intent.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Wasn’t he expected to start his second year? That’s below expectations for a second round pick, right?

P
Legend
Legend
P
As I said, and I'll say it again, I don't believe you can decide if a drafted player is successful until after three years. In his second year, 2019, once he went to the Rams he started 7 games. Since being a starter in his second year seems to be the point you're trying to make here. In year three Corbett stated all 16 games. In 2017 he started all 17 games. How anyone can consider that a bust is beyond reason.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I believe "I" can decide if a player is a bust in less than 3 years. "You" believe you cannot.

You draft a player in almost the 1st round and he starts 1 game in that time and is subsequently traded for a 5th round pick - yeah not a bust. You are right, year 3 was the year it was all going to work out.

I give Dorsey credit, he shipped him out while he could get a little something for him.

Also, really impressive that he started 17 games the year before he was drafted.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Dorsey thought he was a bust, correct?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Offensive Lineman at #13?

Link Copied to Clipboard