Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1928422 03/07/22 07:31 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
IMO Jameson Williams is in play at 13.

At first because of the injury I had ruled him out. His prognosis is 5 to 7 months but he is ahead of schedule.
From what I read about his surgery. It was a clean tear that they were very optimististic about.

I am sure at the Combine all his medical information was available.

As a player turn on the tape. I do not need a stop watch. He is the fastest player on the field at all times. He pulls away from db's - quickly.

There is fast and then there is past fast. That's him.

In addition he is not a just speed. He is a thoroughbred receiver. He is receiver first with great speed.

I don't think his injury is going to hurt his draft status if he can play in September. Maybe he is a little slow out of the gate.
But this guy is legit.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The way he plays... he looks like he will get hurt a lot. He plays far too loose.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Usually playing loose is considered a good thing.

Injury is part of football. Random happening.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Watching Williams is like hitting fast forward on the remote.

His average TD went 47 yards.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt a guy who hasn't been discussed a whole lot to this point. He might be the best of the receiver group.

As you said, guys come back from similar injury all the time. Chubbs injury while at Georgia may have been similar and it hasn't hurt him. I don't see any reason to shy away from Williams because of the injury, even if it does slow him down a bit at the beginning of the season. You are drafting a guy like that with 10 year expectations, you aren't very concerned with the first 4 games.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Williams is by far my top WR in the Draft, but a top DE might be just to hard to pass on depending on who is available when we pick.

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Online
Legend
This guy will be in play at 13.

It will depend on who else is there at 13.

With all the recent changes at quarterback and some of the Combine results with free agency still on the horizon.

Lot of balls in the air.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Williams is by far my top WR in the Draft, but a top DE might be just to hard to pass on depending on who is available when we pick.

I am currently seeing Walker and Johnson both shooting up the draft boards and being taken ahead of our #13 slot. Top 5 edge rushers might be long gone by the time we draft.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Boye Mafe rising up.

Also, love Chad Muma.

Trade back, get additional 2nd.

1. Mafe
2a. Pickens/Watson
2b. Muma

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Every year you hear about guys shooting up the draft Boards.

You must keep in mind draft Boards are not GM's.

As you look around at top 50 lists or top 100. You can see guys are all over the place.

In addition this draft because of the quaterbacks there are not those top guys.

In the end I fall back on position value. Quarterbacks, pass rushers, corners, left tackles.

GM's always want those guys. They seem to come off first.

I like where we pick. And I like having extra picks in the 3rd and 4th round.

If a couple things fall are way early we should clean up in this draft.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I personally think Garrett Wilson is the best receiver in this draft. He has the size, speed, and hands to be a stud in the NFL right off the bat. Little known fact...He went to the same High School Baker did.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, some video surfaced last week from when Baker made a trip back to Lake Travis High...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Berry and company have yet to disappoint at the draft, so I expect to get all the best guys. wink

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Jameson Williams is too risky to take at 13.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by KashDawg
I personally think Garrett Wilson is the best receiver in this draft. He has the size, speed, and hands to be a stud in the NFL right off the bat. Little known fact...He went to the same High School Baker did.

I am a buckeye season ticket holder and I am not surprised to see that you have a buckeye helmet as as avi with this comment.

I LOVED WIlson at OSU, I will miss him dearly. He played so big I could have sworn he was 6'3. He's 6' even and ran slower than Olave.

Williams is a year younger and was the best WR in the country last year. He's definitely faster from the film I've seen and seeing them live. If Williams is healthy it's not even a 1a and 1b, it's like 1 and 2 or maybe even 3.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Have talked up Muma for a while now. Don't see him going until the third or fourth round.

BpG #1929101 03/10/22 01:35 PM
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted by BpG

I am a buckeye season ticket holder and I am not surprised to see that you have a buckeye helmet as as avi with this comment.

I LOVED WIlson at OSU, I will miss him dearly. He played so big I could have sworn he was 6'3. He's 6' even and ran slower than Olave.

Williams is a year younger and was the best WR in the country last year. He's definitely faster from the film I've seen and seeing them live. If Williams is healthy it's not even a 1a and 1b, it's like 1 and 2 or maybe even 3.

Can someone please explain to me then how Wilson, Olave, Smith-Njigba were all ahead of Williams if he was/is better than Wilson and Olave? Just curious, I follow OSU a little but not that much.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's not better than Wilson or Olave, just different. Wilson is a do it all type WR he has played both slot and outside WR, really the only knock on him is he's a little slender and struggles some on contested catches but he is one of the best at getting open. Olave is a lot like Wilson only not quite as explosive but very sure handed. Williams is a more vertical player and doesn't really run the possession routes.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
79 receptions for 1,572 yards for an average of 19.9 yards /completion, with 15 TD says that they where blinded by their gluttony at the position.

Neither of the OSU WR have comparable numbers.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
Watching Williams is like hitting fast forward on the remote.

His average TD went 47 yards.

Some guys run a fast 40: time, but few players play as fast as their 40:

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Online
Legend
It really becomes about fit.

London, Wilson, Willliams, Burks.

These guys all have great skill. They all play differently. It is about who fits best if receiver is the way they go.

Williams is one of the fastest players I have ever seen. Ever. He gets separation.

Burks is physical bruising type receiver. Big dude who fights for the ball.

Wilson is the best all around receiver. He does everything that a receiver is supposed to do.

London maybe the best fit. He is an outstanding blocker. He can play the slot and be the possession guy. He can split out and win outside with height and body position. He is a endzone mismatch. He is not a burner but he is a terrific YAC guy.

Berry has to determine who fits best.

1 member likes this: Bull_Dawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Can someone please explain to me then how Wilson, Olave, Smith-Njigba were all ahead of Williams if he was/is better than Wilson and Olave? Just curious, I follow OSU a little but not that much.

The same way Haskins was ahead of Burrow. Players develop at different rates and thrive in different situations. Health can play a factor.

I think too many people focus on the theoretical "best player" instead of the practical best fit when thinking about the draft. I think this is why so many players end up "misses"/"busts."

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I agree.

Williams is a body catcher

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

The same way Haskins was ahead of Burrow. Players develop at different rates and thrive in different situations. Health can play a factor.

I think too many people focus on the theoretical "best player" instead of the practical best fit when thinking about the draft. I think this is why so many players end up "misses"/"busts."

Of the 4, Smith-Njigba is the best receiver in the group. Yet he barely played for the Buckeyes this past season.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Jester
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Of the 4, Smith-Njigba is the best receiver in the group. Yet he barely played for the Buckeyes this past season.

While I agree with you about Smith-Njigba being the best I have to correct you about how much he played. He played in all 13 games and led the team in receiving. He is a slot receiver where traditionally they get less reps but OSU plays a ton of 3 wide.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...stats?category=receiving&season=2021

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...n-buckeyes-rivalry-game-loss-to-michigan

At the bottom of the second linked article is snap counts thru Michigan game. Smith was the first of the three to be pulled early in the season when games were out of hand.

Last edited by Pdawg; 03/10/22 10:33 PM.

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1929266 03/10/22 11:12 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Point taken
But it felt like he was clearly the 3rd receiver.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

I agree.

I disagree. So does the tape. There are some body catches in here .... but there are a lot of great hand catches and a lot of great adjustments to off target throws.

Last edited by mgh888; 03/10/22 11:19 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888

I agree.

I disagree. So does the tape. There are some body catches in here .... but there are a lot of great hand catches and a lot of great adjustments to off target throws.

Wait... what?

:04 scoop (body catch) on the shoulder
:21 good catch away from the body
:39 has to come back and basket catch it
:49 catches with body/scoops it
1:01 short arms it close to the body
1:15 short arms it close to his body almost with his shoulder (you can see it better on the replay at 1:38)
1:47 scoop/basket catch in the pads
1:58 breadbasket catch
2:45 great catch away from the body
3:00 basket/body catch
3:32 good catch
4:05 basket catch almost drops it (won't be a catch in the NFL)

Good WRs catch the ball with their hands away from their body and pull the ball to their body.

Obviously, some basket/scoop/awkward catches are fine and expected. However, Williams does scoops/basket catches almost all of the time. In fact, it's rare to see him catch away from his body.

Williams will have tons of drops/batted balls/picks because he doesn't catch with his hands away from his body.

B
Legend
Legend
B
And Garrett is a hand clapper. He has a habit of flicking his hands and clapping the ball.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think you are being overly critical. Slant patterns that get thrown at the guy (into his body, not in front of him) were caught with his hands, he could not have feasibly extended his hands and caught the ball further away, and you are saying it's a short arm catch close to his body. Other throws were behind and low, and he adjusts and gets his hands and arms under the ball while adjusting his whole body to come back and go down and you have that as a 'scoop basket catch' like it's a negative.

He clearly has good hands. He clearly catches many balls with his hands. He also lets the ball drop into his basket over his shoulder - I have no problem with that. He might have caught a ball or two into his body where I'd prefer to see it be a hands catch. That can be coached if the guy has good hands, which he clearly does. Could he go get the ball at a higher point on some throws? Yes.

I think labelling him simply as "he's a body catcher" which was your first point, is misleading or just wrong. He's got a ton of talent.

Last edited by mgh888; 03/11/22 09:34 AM.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
If not for his injury he is most likely the first receiver taken.

His speed is rare.

He is good enough in all other aspects of receiving. But his speed sets him apart from all others.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think labelling him simply as "he's a body catcher" which was your first point, is misleading or just wrong. He's got a ton of talent.

so, I was curious to see what scouting reports thought of Williams... Apparently, everyone else noticed the same thing.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...raft-2022-scouting-report-for-alabama-wr
NEGATIVES
— Has a tendency to body-catch throws at his body, which can lead to drops. Can be uncomfortable when catching in traffic.

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2022/02/14/2022-nfl-draft-scouting-report-jameson-williams/
Williams has a tendency to body catch or trap the ball when it is thrown inside his frame which can result in the odd drop.

https://atbnetwork.com/2022/02/05/jameson-williams-scouting-report/
Inconsistent technique catching passes, as he frequently allows balls to enter his chest rather than attacking and plucking the front point of the football.
Struggles to maintain focus and composure at the catch point in traffic. Due to Williams’ long and slender frame, physical cornerbacks and safeties are able to overwhelm him with their play strength. This had led to many incomplete passes in contested catch situations.

https://yardsperfantasy.com/jameson-williams-2022-dynasty-rookie-profile/
-Tendency to let ball into body makes him susceptible to drops
-Couldn’t crack OSU depth chart; just 15 combined receptions as a freshman and sophomore

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jameson-Williams-WR-OhioState
Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com...jameson-williams-alabama-scouting-report
He’s a body catcher and doesn't have natural hands, leading to drops on throws that are away from his torso. He also won’t bail out the quarterback on inaccurate passes — but still catchable — that are in front or behind him and above his waist

Right now my ranking would probably go

1a. Burks (better at breaking tackles and has a mean stiff-arm)
1b. Wilson
2. Dotson
3. Olave
4. Williams

2 members like this: WSU Willie, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
So I have a smaller pool of draft sites I use/trust.

1 of them mentioned not catching the ball at the highest point and sometimes body catching ... Thedraftnetork is one I like a lot and had this comment on his hands:

"Hands: Williams displays good hands and the ability to pluck the ball out of the air. Displayed confidence in his hands and his ability to catch the ball away from his body. Understands how to adjust his hands depending on ball location. Had a couple of drops that were due to concentration more than ability. "

As I said - the highlight film shows him bread basket catching over his shoulder and on more than one deep pass. I also think it shows him using his hands & making great adjustments. No big deal either way. Williams is top on some boards and 4th or 5th on others. Burks only real concern for me is his rounded route running - or at least, not as polished as a guy like Wilson and Olave.

Last edited by mgh888; 03/11/22 01:31 PM.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Right now my ranking would probably go

1a. Burks (better at breaking tackles and has a mean stiff-arm)
1b. Wilson
2. Dotson
3. Olave
4. Williams

I'd put Williams right after Wilson.

Burks - His combo of size/speed/bully and hands are special...he will need to work on route running.

Wilson - He is probably the best all-around WR who does everything well and has excellent game speed....but you cannot work on sheer size.

Williams - The speed is special. The size is near ideal. The injury is ...well...the injury.

Someone nailed it earlier...what do we want out of that WR?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Drake London anyone?

Legend
OP Online
Legend
I said the fit is important and what is asked of the receiver.

In all honesty IMO Drake London is the best fit for the Browns offense.

He is a willing an excellent blocker.
He played in the slot and X wideout.

He can be used in all routes all over the field. He is outstanding in run afrer catch.

He is a redzone nightmare for defenses because of his post up ability, length, catch radius, and the way he wins contested catches.

Baker is our quarterback. I like what London brings to Baker as a large target and go to ability. London is a smart player and it is my belief that he and Baker could form a real chemistry similar to Mahomes and Kelce.

I can see him in come back routes on broken plays. And really unstoppable on back shoulder throws.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Hammer
Drake London anyone?

How he isn't ranked in that top five is amazing. With Olave there and London not, I attribute it to 100% OSU homerism.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Homerisim is a natural phenomenon. It is what it is and needs to be expected. At least most keep it fairly real

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I doubt there is anyone who is a bigger OSU supporter than myself. I do believe that I have done a pretty good job of separating the NCAA from the NFL though. Maybe that's why I have a hard time grasping the concept of how you could be a hater of Mayfield because of the failed flag plant attempt. Once we draft a player I don't care where he comes from. I don't care about his college playing days. In Mayfield's case my main concern is that because of that and other incidents I felt he was immature. Some kids outgrow that and some kids can't. We've witnessed that before. Mayfield seems to have done a pretty good job at maturing so that concern is now in the rear view mirror for me.

I've never pimped us drafting an OSU QB. They have had players like the Bosa brothers that I pimped but I think that was justified. I think Garret Wilson is a top 5 WR. Not at the very top of my list but certainly worthy of being on the list. But Olave? Nah, I just don't see it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Jameson Williams

Link Copied to Clipboard