Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1928501 03/08/22 10:32 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
George Pickens looks like a really good prospects to me.

[/color]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Amazing ! And possibly available at the top of the 2nd round. Highlight reels are sometimes a little deceiving - but no denying his hands, both catching and using them to free himself at the line - his athleticism and his seeming love of the game/competition.

Be interesting to see some breakdown when he was going up against some of the top CB's he faced. But - yes, he looks like a prospect alright! LOL

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I always enjoyed the work of his great grandpa, Slim.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
mgh888 #1928514 03/08/22 11:23 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
He has mad ball skills.

I love guys who fight for the ball and have that body control to get into a position to catch it.

The blocks he was throwing will get him praise from receiver coaches.

He would be a great grab in the second if say they went pass rusher in the first.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah - the two or 3 run blocks where he sat his opposite number on their ass was fun to see. No idea if he can do that in the NFL but great to see.
Thanks for posting.

Last edited by mgh888; 03/08/22 11:28 AM.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Highlights videos are what they are, but one thing I noticed is how the cutup wasn't just a bunch of homerun plays. Lots and lots of short-medium routes and success on those. IMO, we should be able to find room for that on this team.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He might be a good buy low option after missing most of last season after the spring injury. The talent looks like it's there, but there also appear to be some "character"/prima donna/shenanigans questions to sort through. Spraying opposing players with water bottles on the sideline during play (as seen at the end of the highlights) isn't a great look. The current regime seems to have focused more on guys who are about the work and have avoided/parted ways with the "look at me!" types. Interviews will most likely determine if he's on our board.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
He has true grit.

I like players who play with fire. He fights for the ball. He tries to make extra yards.

He blocks with intent.

He will be a baller in the NFL. Have no idea where he will be selected. Probably second round.

If he had played all year. My guess is he would be a first rounder.

He has size, speed, quickness. His competitiveness stands out. He has that natural ability to control his body position to make the catch.

That is what Garrett Wilson has.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
... but there also appear to be some "character"/prima donna/shenanigans questions to sort through. Spraying opposing players with water bottles on the sideline during play (as seen at the end of the highlights) isn't a great look.

The waterbottle spray was a terrible look, but I see all the shenanigans in the video in the same way I see Landry doing same/similar during games.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
I nearly went deeper into the antics - instead I left it at the comment that he clearly loves to play and compete .... What I thought about writing - and what I think on Pickens - it comes down to his interview and how you view him mentally. Is he a hot head that will cost you penalties with his over exuberance ... or is he just like Bone said, gritty and feisty but in control?

I hate prima donnas ... but I don't leap to the automatic conclusion that this is what Pickens is or would become. 2 cents.

mgh888 #1928585 03/08/22 02:24 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Some of that ages.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
... but there also appear to be some "character"/prima donna/shenanigans questions to sort through. Spraying opposing players with water bottles on the sideline during play (as seen at the end of the highlights) isn't a great look.

The waterbottle spray was a terrible look, but I see all the shenanigans in the video in the same way I see Landry doing same/similar during games.

Will definitely be an is the "Juice" worth the squeeze type of off-season it seems.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you think spraying the opponents with a water bottle is some measure of "fire"?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1928608 03/08/22 03:00 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
He was cooling the guy off. It is college.

Unless there is other garbage that disqualifies him. I let it go.

I just watch tape. I don't get to interview. I like his tape.

Last edited by bonefish; 03/08/22 03:02 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
He was cooling the guy off. It is college.

Well of course he was.

How about we meet in the middle and compromise on something that makes a little more sense? It was a foolish thing to do but if it's an isolated incident and his interviews go well we won't consider it a pattern of bad behavior. Does that sound fair?

Or should we pretend that this is normal and keep making excuses for bad behavior?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1928647 03/08/22 04:10 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Actually I didn't see it.

I never saw that part.

But sure. I don't condone bad behavior.

mgh888 #1928699 03/08/22 07:47 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I know it is a highlight reel.

But damn those are some highlight catches. He made some great plays.

He is unafraid to throw his body around that is for sure.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Well, at least in the highlights, he fights like hell to make the catches. But what I didn't see a lot of was separation. Yet, he looks like he might make a great possession receiver.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
He put some moves on in that tape.

I saw plays where he turned guys around.

Honestly I don't see much that he didn't do to show he is legit. He will be drafted in the second round. And I believe he will do well in the NFL.

1 member likes this: Hammer
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. He is way more than a possession receiver.

Speed: check
Twitch: check
Body control: check
Hands: check
Routes: check
Level of competition: check

What's not to like? In the end he has as good a chance as any to be the best receiver in the draft.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: Thebigbaddawg, mgh888
B
Legend
Legend
B
And to add a somewhat different thought to this discussion. We have to be honest about the type of receiver we use and how we use them. I am not sure having a top receiver is going to pay dividends the way some want. We saw a marked difference between the OBJ here and the OBJ elsewhere.

I am not saying what we do is wrong. I am simply saying what we do might not be geared towards the wide receiver position. We are more of a running back and tight end geared O. Unless that changes, I don't think a 'thoroughbred" receiver is ever going to look like one. Secretariat would have been a miserable quarter horse.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah I didn't like some of his actions especially the last part where he is making an action like he was peeing on his opponent using the water bottle...but after a while I remembered how I forgave Baker in some of his actions in the heat of competition and If I could forgive him I forgive this kid. 2nd round is a good investment if we go D in the first round.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1928773 03/09/22 09:27 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
The water thing is bad behavior. It will pass. College days. Mixon with the Bengals punched a women in the face. Causing serious damage.

The water thing is pretty mild by comparison to some of the stuff that happens.

I am going by what I see as far as talent. He has talent. Some of those catches were off the chain.

If we go pass rusher at 13. He is in play in the second.

O
Legend
Legend
O
That's why I brought up Jarvis Landry. Relatively speaking, he's an old man, and he still pushes the line in games. There's a line between being a dummy and keeping that internal fire under control. I'm fine working with the latter, and I honestly think our team could even use more of that fire (yes, at the risk of picking up some extra penalties).

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The water thing is bad behavior. It will pass. College days. Mixon with the Bengals punched a women in the face. Causing serious damage.

The water thing is pretty mild by comparison to some of the stuff that happens.

I am going by what I see as far as talent. He has talent. Some of those catches were off the chain.

If we go pass rusher at 13. He is in play in the second.

For some guys, it passes. For others, it doesn't. (See Josh Gordon, Manziel, etc.) I'm not saying he'll be one or the other, but it's something we should vet. If it checks out, and he's otherwise a fit for the program and culture, great.

Chubb and LeCounte probably have some insight.

After the OBJ experience, I've just decided that talent isn't the only thing that matters when it comes to WRs. So, my concerns might be more a reflection of that mess than Pickens in particular.

Gotta be the right fit is all.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
this is who i want.. uga bias.. but dude is a good WR

Legend
OP Online
Legend
If he had played a full season. He would be a first round pick.

All I see when I watch him is a really good receiver.

1 member likes this: Hammer
T
Legend
Legend
T
I wish the Browns would sign a 33+ year old Golden Tate and hope he is Uninjured enough, and healthy enough, and youthful enough to be a real difference maker. thumbsup But it's just wishful thinking.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
If we are targeting a WR in the draft there are 3 outstanding WR's that might be available top of round 2 ... Skyy Moore, Pickens and Christian Watson. . . . ESPN just did a piece claiming Moore might be the single most under rated player in the draft. Picken looks every bit a first round talent and Watson is a Drake London type that went to a small school

mgh888 #1935688 03/27/22 08:17 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
All three look like NFL starters right away.

The type of guys that in their first year will have an impact and contribute to a team.

I would be happy to have any of those guys.

Pick 44 I expect we will get a damn good player. I am waiting for the dominoes to fall in free agency.

If Jarvis is looking for $20. He will not get that from the Browns unless it is for two years.

Clowney is looking for as much as he can get. I don't hold that against him. However, his market will be defined. He nows Cleveland. He benefitted by having Myles on the other side. He had a good solid year and seemed to get along inside the team.

I like our chances signing him.

If that goes down and we don't sign another free agent receiver. Pickens, Moore, and Watson are all in play.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I like Skyy Moore as a slot receiver if he is available. I think he is a little faster than his scouting report claims, but what I really love about him is his toughness in traffic and the strength he has in his hands.

3 members like this: CapCity Dawg, bugs, Hammer
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Moore, Watson, Pickens, Dotson (maybe). I believe one of these will be available at #44.

If Browns go WR with that pick, any of these 4 would ideal IMO.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Without 1st rounders for the next 3 years, it is paramount we hit on our 2nd and 3rd rounders. The 1st round pick is almost a gimme pick unless a team is forced to reach for some reason of need. At least to me 2nd and 3r rounders usually turn in to good players because teams tend to go brick and mortar type players and tend to use BPA as the basis of those picks.

I hope we don't start to use the typical the 1st round template with those picks the next few years and don't reach for some need. I am not saying some of the guys you mentioned wouldn't possibly fit the BPA mold. I am just saying that it is very important we bring in solid players because roster attrition is going to continue, and you don't always know where on the roster it is going to hit in a year or two.

You can control free agency to a large degree. You can't control which players in the draft are going to come your way. It is what it is once you are on the clock.

Thus far the Browns seem to be pretty good at slotting players. Both in free agent value and college player slotting. I hope that continues and we have a good idea who might be available in what round and we stay somewhat trusting in our scouting process and make our picks in accordance with that scouting and evaluation. If not, why even bother?

Just me speaking, but I would be looking for players with a higher floor over guys with a higher ceiling. No doubt we need to balance that some, but getting solid players is very important so in a few years we don't end up with needs all over the team.

To go with your WR thought, 2 receivers I really like are Skyy Moore and Wandale Robinson.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I agree.

This is where I trust Berry. You can not expect to hit on every pick, but Berry seems to apply good logic in his choices.

Because of cap balancing in the future it becomes imperitive to find guys who can replace players you can no longer afford.

I think Ward is a terrific corner. Drafting Newsome was so important. Finding another corner could become important because Ward may not be affordable.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...I like Pickens a lot as well, not just the UGA connection...But he reminds me a lot of AJ Green.

One very late sleeper I like is SMU WR Reggie Roberson...he will go late in the draft, as he's rather old (24) has injury concerns (still recovering) and tested rather poor (only a 29 inch vert...ouch) But his tape really pops out to you, and on tape he looked like a 4.35 guy prior to his knee injury.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If he had played a full season. He would be a first round pick.

All I see when I watch him is a really good receiver.

Yes, and I think that he should be a first round selection, regardless of that fact.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1937796 04/07/22 10:21 AM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Some recent mock drafts have Pickens going to the Browns.

IMO it would be a steal. A lot will depend on how the Browns address the DL in free agency. Or, if we resign Jarvis. Now there is speculation on Brandon Cooks and Will Fuller.

So, before the draft maybe there are still answers in trades or free agency.

I am not worried there will a good player available at #44. There are a bunch of guys I would be happy with:

Ebiketie, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, Pickens, Travis Jones, Perrion Winfrey, Logan Hall.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Pickens 10 yard split is the same as Tyreek Hill and Anthony Schwartz.

He is 6'3". That is some serious get off time.

1 member likes this: HotBYoungTurk
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Slim Pickens approves of George Pickens.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Shouldn't the thread title be
" George Pickens won't be a very good NFL player"

Won't be a very good player should definetly be in the thread title.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft George Pickens

Link Copied to Clipboard