Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Do you have anything to add that adds?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LOL highlights of a WR blowing dudes up in the run game is DEFINETELY what I want in a WR /sarcasm

4.5 at the combine
4.73 at his pro day!!

5 catches last season

I am so out on that, receivers who aren't athletes fall ESPECIALLY with this regime.

BpG #1940675 04/26/22 11:06 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Pickens Relative Athletic Score was 9.33 out of 10.

That is higher than any score of the receivers who are considered the top five.

His drop rate is the best of any receiver in the draft.

He had five catches because he tore his ACL in the spring. He only played in a few games.

Watch his tape and determine if he appears unathletic.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well its a deep draft for WR I'm thinking team wise it probably would end up better for us to take a WR in the 3rd round as we do not have a first round pick I think it would be best for the team to get the BPA for the defense at #44. The dynamic of this draft has changed because of our trade. If we do go WR Id rather we get a replacement for Landry - somebody that would be a reliable possession WR:

Dotson being the first but of course if there is a big run he will be gone probably Pickens as well.

The most available would probably be Metchie, Skye Moore or Austin realistically those 3 will be our best options one of the 3 actually might be there for the taking in the 3rd round. People forget Ski's Offense covets using 2 TE sometimes all 3. I think we can probably end up getting the first or second TE in the draft as opposed to getting the 8-10th WR. Top TE I think would be more worthwhile to our team then a 2nd round WR. Cooper and DPJ are a solid X, Z WR I think we will go for the "Y"

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Edit: he did not run at his pro day, I had incorrect information.

This guy is a PRIME candidate for "clean up" surgery ala Montario Hardesty before week 1.

Not worth the risk in round 2.

Last edited by BpG; 04/26/22 12:04 PM.
BpG #1940721 04/26/22 02:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by BpG

This guy is a PRIME candidate for "clean up" surgery ala Montario Hardesty before week 1.

Pickens will most likely be a first round pick ... and you are entitled to your own opinion ... just not your own facts.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1940730 04/26/22 02:34 PM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Originally Posted by BpG

Pickens will most likely be a first round pick ... and you are entitled to your own opinion ... just not your own facts.

sure bud, whatever that means

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

From Bruce Feldman's article in The Athletic on the discussing the draft with scouts and coaches...

Which WR is the most boom-or-bust guy?

Scout 2: George Pickens. There’s a lot of upside, but he can’t get out of his own way. He’s been enabled his whole life.

WR Coach 3: Pickens. You love his game, but there’s some issues. Do you want to work with him? He’s a top-6 talent-wise, but it’s impossible not to add those other things. He has the size, has really good range. He positions his body on deep throws. He consistently beats press coverage. Has good start-stops with some AI (Allen Iverson) crossover in his game. A lot of the stuff in (Todd Monken’s) system translates to the NFL. But I wouldn’t touch him.

WR Coach 5 on Pickens: On tape, he is probably a top-5 wide receiver but there’s just so many red flags, and they’re big red flags. He’s got a lot of growing up to do. If he goes to the right place with a room full of veterans that help him go the right way, I think he’ll have a chance.”

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

From Bruce Feldman's article in The Athletic on the discussing the draft with scouts and coaches...

Scout 2: George Pickens. There’s a lot of upside, but he can’t get out of his own way. He’s been enabled his whole life.

WR Coach 3: Pickens. You love his game, but there’s some issues. Do you want to work with him? He’s a top-6 talent-wise, but it’s impossible not to add those other things. He has the size, has really good range. He positions his body on deep throws. He consistently beats press coverage. Has good start-stops with some AI (Allen Iverson) crossover in his game. A lot of the stuff in (Todd Monken’s) system translates to the NFL. But I wouldn’t touch him.

WR Coach 5 on Pickens: On tape, he is probably a top-5 wide receiver but there’s just so many red flags, and they’re big red flags. He’s got a lot of growing up to do. If he goes to the right place with a room full of veterans that help him go the right way, I think he’ll have a chance.”

That's fascinating information. Thanks for posting that.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Interesting.

I can only go by what I see. That is why scouts are hired. They can find off field, medicals, and whatever else there is.

I only get to see what he does on the field. Everything I see screams first round talent.

Some players become men and all the college garbage they were into goes away.

Some never grow up and it is a problem.

I have to respect due diligence. If this is a giant red flag on this guy. Then I would not draft him.

If on the other hand I felt it would go away then it could worth the risk.

If I had another guy there with the same ranking and high character. I would pass on Pickens.

On tape Pickens is as good as any receiver in the draft.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'd certainly be interested in knowing what these "red flags" are. But I haven't been able to find anything about them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
PitDAWG #1940773 04/26/22 05:03 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
IMO he is really talented.

If it were me as GM. I would bring the guy in. I would need to sit across from him and talk.

I thought because of his Spring ACL injury and missing most of this season that was why he was considered a early second rounder.

I see a first round talent. Maybe there are other problems?

I hear Keyvon Thibideaux takes off plays etc. Maybe he has other interests outside of football etc. I can only go by game film. I don't comment on things I can not verfify first hand.

When I watch the guys game film. I see elite movement skill. The type that could be worthy of the first pick in the draft.

I just saw him on tv in a round table discussion. He was asked directly about what was being said. He was straight forward in saying he can not control what people who don't know him say. Those inside his circle know who he is and that is what is important to him. He comes off as a high intelligence guy.

I would love to see him in a orange helmet. That will not come true.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What these red flags are is extremely important. Being straight forward would be telling what these red flags actually are and explaining them. That's not what he did. He actually sidestepped the question.

You see, I agree that the interviews are important when you bring a kid in. I also understand people can put on a good front for short periods of time. That's why all of the background information on these players is so critical.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c...

I am always skeptical of anonymous shade less than a week before the Draft.

[Linked Image]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There are enough good receivers in this draft that if I had doubts about Pickens. I would move on.

At the same time boys in college become men later. Professional football you work and produce or you are gone.

I see a lot of talent in the young man. I would want to see hunger and coachability. If I felt good about him and felt he work hard and listen.

I would draft him. If I had doubts. Move on.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Ouch! He'll fit right in. Please don't put us in that position.
I like what comedian Maria Bamford said.
"Just stay away from red flags", "Oh Ok, but what if you're a Flag-factory, that only manufactures Huge Red Flags" wink

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Browns need a playmaker on the other side of the field from Cooper.
They have no one that can command a double team
Some of best ready day 1 WRs in recent memory come from the SEC.
Jaylen Waddle,Justin Jefferson, Jamar Chase, DK Metcalf , Mike Evans.
Pickens is a 1st RD talent.
The Browns need to stop drafting WRs that you hope will be ready in 3 years
They have made a habit of that since 99.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

I disagree. Browns paid the dough for a QB and #1 receiver. You flood the other receiver positions with speed. Cherries on top are Chubb and Hunt.

Watson is experienced enough to make good receivers.

Berry must and I think he will make this defense so tough to play against.

bugs #1940982 04/27/22 10:45 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I'm with you, defense all the way

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
T
Legend
Legend
T
[Pickens is a 1st RD talent.
But in my opinion Pickens is not the guy you speak of.
Simply, at 44 I'd target John Metchie III WR from Alabama and go with it.

I would not think a team would draft George Pickens if Jameson Williams Wr were still on the board,
I would not think a team would draft George Pickens if Garrett Wilson were still on the board,
blah blah if Treylon Burks wr Arkansas were still on the board,
same same not draft if Drake London wr USC were still on the board,
I would not think a team would draft George Pickens if Chris Olave Wr Ohio St. were still on the board.
I would not think a team would draft George Pickens if Jahan Dotson were still on the board
I would not think a team would draft George Pickens if John Metchie Wr Alabama were still on the board.
I would not think a team would draft George Pickens if Skyy Moore Wr central Michigan were still on the board,

I don't think a team should pass on the chance to get a Wr, at 44, however I'd target John Metchie III, Alabama Wr, to pick at 44,
and then move on to the next possible selection.
For everything you'd say above, I think Metchie is more of the Man you are seeking.
And No, I don't think George Pickens is round 1 talent, more like later rounds
I think all of those players mentioned are going to have a better time in the NFL than George Pickens. Who knows.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bugs #1941002 04/28/22 05:45 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bugs

I disagree. Browns paid the dough for a QB and #1 receiver. You flood the other receiver positions with speed. Cherries on top are Chubb and Hunt.

Berry must and I think he will make this defense so tough to play against.

I don't buy the speed thing. Schwartz has speed, but he doesn't get open. People want the QB to get the ball out quickly. To do that you need receivers who can get open quickly.

I for one don't care if my receivers get caught from behind after catching the ball and running maybe another 10-15 yards.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
PitDAWG #1941003 04/28/22 05:48 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I'd certainly be interested in knowing what these "red flags" are. But I haven't been able to find anything about them.

I was going to say the same thing. What are the "red flags" that would make him untouchable by some?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Daniel Jeremiah said there was some talk about maturity issues that he thought were no big deal.

College 21 year old maturity? Ah sure it happens.

Can he play? Will he work? Can he be coached?

bugs #1941028 04/28/22 10:13 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O

Honest question... is this true? Watson has had to work with some not-so-great supporting cast, but his WR corps has always been pretty good.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
In 2020, he had Brandon Cooks and Will Fuller. Good receivers? Yes. Top-tier receivers? No.

I don't think you need to invest in first or second round receivers to partner with Cooper.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
bugs #1941045 04/28/22 10:48 AM
Legend
Legend
Both are far-and-away better than anything we have here behind Amari.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure why anyone would believe or think it's a good idea to spend 230 mil. on a QB and make DPJ one of his primary targets. That's not even close to what they did in Houston when he had great success on the field. I don't think it has to be what some might consider an elite WR, but it will need to be someone in the upper tier second level of WR's. That's something the Browns don't have.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1941092 04/28/22 12:05 PM
Legend
Legend
DPJ can probably (hopefully) grow into a solid #2, but what we have behind him is nearly trash. Our WR corps really is just Amari Cooper and DPJ; everyone else is a gigantic "Huh??"

Browns is the Browns

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Not sure that the Browns are going to get alot help
In this draft
Seems like 7 teams are likely to draft wr in round 1
Round 2 there is 12 teams needing excellent wide receivers.
So if they draft 4 or 5 before us your looking at the 12th wide receiver.
Dt hall who is generally recognized as the 3rd defensive tackles off the board goes 20th
This would mean Winfrey would have to go undrafted for upwards
Of 20 picks.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the key word in your post is "hopefully". He is not there now and may never get there. That currently leaves a gaping hole and a question mark.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
One could make an argument that Njoku softens the blow somewhat... but yeah.

I was just curious how people think it will shake out in terms of the pieces around him (our running game and Oline is like nothing DW has had to support him, but our receiver corps is the opposite). Is our run game and the protection he'll have enough to make up for the gigantic step back in pass-catching talent?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Honest question... is this true? Watson has had to work with some not-so-great supporting cast, but his WR corps has always been pretty good.

I think Watson can elevate those around him. The qb we are moving on from made our WRs worse. There are reasons why Watson was given such a huge contract and so many teams were interested in him even w/the court cases looming and why teams aren't dong all they can to obtain him. I know you are a big Baker fan and I appreciate that, but man, take a moment and really think about it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really disagree with you about other teams that need WR's. But just as with the Browns, that isn't their only need. In some of not many of those cases they could just as easily go in another direction. Just as we might. For 11 WR's to go before the Browns 44th pick, 25% of all the draft picks to that point would have to be WR's. I don't see that happening.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I was more curious about how Watson might feel about the differences between playing with Houston's roster vs ours. Does our offenses strengths (Oline and run game) make up for the step back in pass-catching talent?

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Njoku probably definitely softens that a bit. If Felton or Schwartz can figure out how to be a slot WR, that would definitely improve things, but until we get someone in the slot that a defense has to pay attention to, we're going to be playing uphill, I think.

I do think Watson is going to be VERY appreciative of his new OLine and run game, and I think his scrambling ability is going to help the offense move often, but in order for him to "elevate" a receiver, the receiver still has to get open, and I'm not sure what we're gonna get in that regard from any current WR not named Amari.

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
I feel that having a good or bad OL has a greater influence on how a QB performs over any other factor. If we bring back Landry or draft a guy like Skye Moore, our WRs will be fine. I don't think as highly about Fuller as some of you guys do. We have a head coach that is very good at scheming. I think the Shannahan/Kubiak system is the best in football.

Don't want to derail this thread too much, so back to Pickens. I really can't evaluate him because even though I watched UGA a lot, I never really noticed Pickens. I can't really add a lot. I do remember thinking their WRs were athletic looking, but I didn't find them all that impressive. Of course, maybe Pickens wasn't even playing in those games.

PitDAWG #1941133 04/28/22 01:40 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't really disagree with you about other teams that need WR's. But just as with the Browns, that isn't their only need. In some of not many of those cases they could just as easily go in another direction. Just as we might. For 11 WR's to go before the Browns 44th pick, 25% of all the draft picks to that point would have to be WR's. I don't see that happening.

I could see 7 - 8 WRs' coming off the board by our selection.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/28/22 01:44 PM. Reason: Double post

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1941141 04/28/22 02:24 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I could see 7 as a far more realistic number. I have no idea which direction the Browns will go with their second round pick. If an actual deal with Clowney is in place that may too influence such a decision. As with most teams the Browns have more than one need as things stand at this point in time.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Pickens would be a great target for Watson. He's a big play WR and deep threat. I hope he is still on the board at 44 and we take him.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft George Pickens

Link Copied to Clipboard