Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober
We traded him because of his on-field performance, limited though it was.

Ironically, getting rid of Corbett opened a spot (and maybe drove the acquisition of) Teller. So the same phenomenon that sent a 1st-round pick to the Rams to start on their SB-winning Oline also had us pick up (arguably) the best guard in football off another team's scrap heap.

So what I'm trying to say (if anything) is... I have no idea what to make of Olinemen that prove they have talent, but only after they leave their first team. It doesn't seem to be limited to highly drafted ones.

I like Teller. The 2 problems I have are he is in his last year and he is at the point in his career where he doesn't practice during the season.

You might be right. Maybe Harris will be OK.

The question was asked if it is possible we go lineman and Linderbaum's name was brought up. I see Treeter at the end of his run in Cleveland and probably the NFL soon enough. Fine, maybe we don't go for a lineman in round 1. I agree it is a good bet we don't, but don't try to justify not taking Linderbaum because we have Harris.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The justification is no one has drafted a center that high since 1993.

O
Legend
Legend
O
IMO, Tretter isn't the odd man out if we draft this Linderbaum guy. It's Harris. He was built for this offense, and he's had a couple years to get everything in.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
If we're confident in Harris, there's no chance that we take this Linderbaum. If we find Harris questionable at this point, then we very well may find ourselves with a new center. Either way, absolutely nothing would happen with Tretter before then, and even if we aren't enamored with Harris, unless we address WR sufficiently in free agency to where it isn't a dire need, there is little chance we'd drop our 1st on a Center. As much as I want us to take a Right Tackle, the same applies for it.

DLine and Wide Receivers are the priority until they're not, or until there are no more options available to help us this year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Bugs...any quality investment in OL I am GAGA for it. Age for Tretter, I was hoping for 2-3 more years and the kid Harris to get better and better as his years wear on and be a quality depth guy in those 2-3 years gaining more experience and learning under the Wise Tretter.

Big investments still should be on the Edges...LT or RT any that fall to us and is a steal - that is where the "CODE BREAKERS" are In order of value and rare commodities.

#1 and none close is QB we got one in Baker don't throw him away we would be FOOLS if we did.

#2 are the EDGES on O and D. LT and RT for the Offense and DEs for the DL (3-4 then would be OLBs)

#3 are the Cover Corners

I mean good-great skill at any position is wanted but the above are RARE Commodities that if you get them you are ahead of other teams for Championships!!!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Dorsey thought he was a bust, correct?

I think you're arguing with yourself here. Of course it seems Dorsey thought he was a bust. Yet you said he should be a starter in year 2. I gave you factual evidence he did start 7 games in his second year. He has started every game since. So no matter what anyone thought, he has proven not to be a bust in the NFL.

Hammer.... Sure you can decide who you think is a bust in less than three years. But after seeing the fact that Corbett has started 40 games in a row since just past half way in his second season I would hope you see the flaw in that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think we pretty much agree here. I find the odds of going OL in the first very slim but not impossible. My reasoning as to why I think it's slim is the evidence of how I've seen Berrry attack the draft thus far. When he has seen a unit that needs heavy attention, he has tended to focus on building that unit through FA's and the draft in the same year. When you look at how he attacked the secondary in both the draft and FA. Then then have Wills and Conklin in the same year. It just seems he focuses on the department in terms of the most need.

As many resources that have been invested in the OL in terms of FA and the draft, I just don't believe the odds of investing heavily in that department again with a first round puck this year is likely. I have often believed that looking at what needs have been addressed in FA is a way to see what you probably won't see invested heavily invested in during the draft. But when looking at Berry's track record, it seems he will very much double and even triple down when rebuilding a unit.

I'm not sure that with such a WR heavy draft in terms of talent that I wouldn't wait until round 2 to address the WR position this year. I think there will still be a ton of talent on the board at that pick and the return on your investment may be better seen by doing that. But if Berry's history to date is any indication, he will hit the WR hard and early. If not I believe he may see DT or DE a more pressing immediate unit to address at the time if value can be found at those positions.

It will certainly be interesting.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
bugs Online OP
Dawg Talker
OP Online
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by eotab
Bugs...any quality investment in OL I am GAGA for it. Age for Tretter, I was hoping for 2-3 more years and the kid Harris to get better and better as his years wear on and be a quality depth guy in those 2-3 years gaining more experience and learning under the Wise Tretter.

Big investments still should be on the Edges...LT or RT any that fall to us and is a steal - that is where the "CODE BREAKERS" are In order of value and rare commodities.

#1 and none close is QB we got one in Baker don't throw him away we would be FOOLS if we did.

#2 are the EDGES on O and D. LT and RT for the Offense and DEs for the DL (3-4 then would be OLBs)

#3 are the Cover Corners

I mean good-great skill at any position is wanted but the above are RARE Commodities that if you get them you are ahead of other teams for Championships!!!

jmho

Tab, 99 times out of 100 I am agreeing with what you are saying. There are two players in this draft Tyler Lenderbaum and Kyle Hamilton who are the exception. These are first-pick-in-the-draft quality guys if it wasn't for the position. It is why Aaron Donald wasn't taken first. I get it.

At thirteen, IMO, you have to give these two serious thoughts. It will be interesting to see what Andrew Berry does if one of the receivers are availabe along with Lenderbaum and Hamilton.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Bugs, one thing I have learned over the years - There are exceptions to all RULES. wink

For me its to get RT Trevor Penning as I think he will be a Pro Bowler at RT right now we are looking 3rd round but usually the guys I like eventually climb up the board and become 1st round picks - So originally 3rd round but a steal at 2nd round and possibly will go late first round.

As for the guys you mentioned I just haven't studied the OLmen as in years past. The last Center I liked was the kid from Wisconsin that the Cowboys took (injuries have knocked him out) But 13 is pretty high for a Center. I'm thinking for the Browns team wise
the kid I want would be great for us and for many years!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think Penning goes mid to late 1st round, Tab.

1 member likes this: dawg66
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, most mocks I've seen have him going late 1st to early 2nd.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
B
bugs Online OP
Dawg Talker
OP Online
Dawg Talker
B
This draft is definitely a riddle needing a solution. Many teams who do not think it through will suffer. In five years, less than a handful of the first-round picks will become starters. Watch and see how many are dumped and signed as situational players in five years.

There are many good players in this draft simply not great. If GMs approach it in this matter, they can gain value toward the depth of their roster.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Take what it gives. If you get a solid starter and a few back-ups or good special teamers, so be it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Hammer
I think Penning goes mid to late 1st round, Tab.

Heart drops - this the one guy I was hoping would be a Brown. 13 probably too early to take him there and 2nd round he would be gone. Man I really liked him Oh well

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet a lot of us thought the same thing about JOK so hope springs eternal!

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask

So? That is a reason to follow today? It doesn't matter. The guy will probably go before our pick.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
If that happens it will be a totally different departure and an entirely new trend for the Center position. Not saying it's impossible but I see it as very highly unlikely.

#gmstrong
B
bugs Online OP
Dawg Talker
OP Online
Dawg Talker
B
I believe the reason Centers are not taken early is there are positions of need (QB, Edge, OT, and Corner) that are higher priority. Not many teams will have these positions filled where they can justify drafting an interior lineman early.

I am still not sure Linderbaum is the correct choice at #13. For debate purposes, is the best Center in the last decade a better option than the third or fourth ranked Edge, OT, or Corner in this draft. For that matter, is it better than the second or third best receiver?

Lastly, is Linderbaum enough of a "difference-maker" to justify at #13. Personally, I am firm believer games are easier won by having strong players in the trenches. I am sure there are others who will strongly disagree and have valid reasons for it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask

So? That is a reason to follow today? It doesn't matter. The guy will probably go before our pick.

It is a reason to follow today. It hasn't happened in 30 years. Is it possible? sure, but it doesn't make sense.

We could still get a highly ranked WR, DE, LB, DL, CB. All who could have a huge impact on our team (especially if a team or a couple draft QBs in front of us). JC still could go another year. If we have to start Nick at least he's surrounded by two excellent guards in Bitonio and Teller and at least knows the system.

IMO, the reason Centers go around the 20 mark is the depth of the draft is starting to thin out. Every draft isn't deep, if a draft is deep in one or two areas say DE for example usually by 20 those top 4/5/6 DEs are already picked.

If we are picking a Center at 13, I am question the depth of this draft. A highly ranked DE, WR, DL playing at a Pro-Bowl level is way more important then a Center playing as one to us.

top 10 centers according to PFF (yes I added more)
Rodney Hudson - drafted 2nd round
Corey Linsley - 5th round
Frank Ragnow - 1st round (20th)
JC Tretter - 4th round
Jason Kelce - 6th round
Brandon Linder - 3rd round
Ben Jones - 4th round
Erik McCoy - 2nd round (48th)
Ryan Kelly - 1st round (18th)
Chase Roullier - 6th round
Ryan Jensen - 6th round
David Andrews - undrafted
Alex Mack - 1st round (21)
Matt Paradis - 6th round
Mitch Morse - 2nd round (49)
Creed Humphrey - 2nd round (63)
Trey Hopkins - undrafted
Bradley Bozeman - 6th round

Legend
Legend
I wanna see us take a WR at 13 Look at how well it worked out for the Bengals.... Question, is there a guy that good available at 13?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I wanna see us take a WR at 13 Look at how well it worked out for the Bengals.... Question, is there a guy that good available at 13?

The Bengals had the third pick and took a receiver who has the best rookie season since Randy Moss.

Legend
Legend

The Bengals had the third pick and took a receiver who has the best rookie season since Randy Moss.
Do you think there are any in his "league" in this draft?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by FATE

No. And if there were they wouldn’t be available at pick 13.

Legend
Legend

Weird... Moss was drafted at #21.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Thank you for your response,,, can you tell me if there are any close to him we might be able to get at 13? If so, that's what I'd like to see us do.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C

Weird... Moss was drafted at #21.

Not because of his talent level.

Anyway, my point is that receivers like Chase aren’t available every year.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Thank you for your response,,, can you tell me if there are any close to him we might be able to get at 13? If so, that's what I'd like to see us do.

I don’t see anyone close to Chase being available in this draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know if Chase's numbers will be matched by a rookie for awhile.

Yes he's a great player, but he also ended up on the same team as another great player who happened to be his teammate during the most prolific passing season in college football history. He already had great chemistry with his QB. That helps a lot.

Baker hasn't shown the level of trust Burrow showed in Chase in any of the receivers that have been here. I doubt he'll suddenly show it to a rookie he'll have never played in a live game with.

Unfortunately, it's not just about the player. It's about the situation that he's thrust into.

I don't see our situation resulting in a Chase-like outcome.

Maybe a healthy, confident Baker will "surprise" me (I do expect him to play better). I'm not sure that I see huge WR numbers in this offense, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
We should sign Dede Westbrook.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Wow...last 10 years either OL or DTs were taken at #13 - one exception I think 2016 LB was taken but all the rest were OG, OT or DT oh including Aaron Donald. So we get our Aaron Donald player of a decade at #13 Jordan Davis wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Offensive Lineman at #13?

Link Copied to Clipboard