M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Continued....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker will go on to be a very very good QB in the NFL. Some team is going to get him for a steal.

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: Southwestdawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There's a whole lot of posturing going on at this point. It's hard to know how teams really feel about Baker.

Unfortunately, we're in a bit of a tough spot with his contract. It makes it harder for us to fit in other free agents.

We're holding out for a high(er) pick. Other teams are hoping to low-ball us knowing he's not in our plans.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am done trying to figure it out. Now i see the Pats being mentioned, so who knows.

What will be, will be.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Well, Seattle?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I take this like I took the Baker is our QB line. Looks like posturing. They want to upgrade at QB as cheaply as possible.

Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
I take this like I took the Baker is our QB line. Looks like posturing. They want to upgrade at QB as cheaply as possible.

Or they are looking to the Draft for their QB.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Not sure how Drew Lock would be preferred unless they clearly are rebuilding. Baker is much better, IMO.
Some wondered if Browns get Osweiler'd
How ironic that one would use this against the Browns as a negative thing when they invented it.

But yeah, it'll be a 2nd rounder we'll give up to send off Baker's contract.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Baker played for the Browns for four years.

He accomplished things that we had not done for a long time. I wish him well.

But now he is only relevant to what we can get in trade and how much we can lose of his money.

Berry will have patience. Baker can stay home and collect his money. Eventually some team will be needy.

He is good enough to start. If that doesn't happen he will catch on as a backup. He will get another chance.

And he may prove many wrong.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He should go to tampa as a back up for a year. Then come out swinging the next year

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Browns can Afford to Play Waiting Game in Trading Baker Mayfield
As much as the Cleveland Browns might want to trade Baker Mayfield quickly, they are in a position to wait for a price they want.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/browns-can-play-waiting-game

Baker Mayfield's tenure with the Cleveland Browns was all but over before the team acquired Deshaun Watson in a trade with the Houston Texans. With Watson on the team, it seemed as if the Browns would want to deal Mayfield quickly, so both sides could move on from what has been an ugly week of back and forth, but the Browns are comfortable waiting to make a deal, even if that means waiting until August.

There are 18.8 million reasons to get Mayfield off the salary cap. But if a team was never intending to spend that money in the first place, carrying that cap charge doesn't impede the team from operating.

The Browns are only slated to pay Watson a hair over $10 million in 2022. The reason for that isn't because the team is trying to go all in for the sake of a Super Bowl run this season. That doesn't mean they aren't going to try, but with Watson likely to be suspended, leaving newly signed backup Jacoby Brissett to play quarterback those games in his stead, the postseason isn't guaranteed.

The reason the Browns are giving Watson a low salary now is likely because they want to create a significant amount of rollover cap for next season and going forward. It will not only help pay for the $54 million Watson is scheduled to earn in 2023, but allow them some added flexibility.

So whenever the Browns trade Mayfield, which could drag on into July even August unless they get the deal they want, they would the then have the ability to rollover the $18.8 million Mayfield was set to earn, giving them $37.6 million in 2023; the original $18.8 million plus another $18.8 million in rollover.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish

But now he is only relevant to what we can get in trade and how much we can lose of his money.

Berry will have patience. Baker can stay home and collect his money. Eventually some team will be needy.

He is good enough to start. If that doesn't happen he will catch on as a backup. He will get another chance.

But he can't just stay at home, he incurs fines if he does.

[Linked Image]

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

So put him in the stands and the tv camera can play "Where's Waldo?"

No Craps Given
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

I keep reading that Baker can sit home and collect his salary from the Browns. This usually follows the implication that he would refuse to report for mini-camp, and all other team activities. If he refuses to play I am pretty sure he does not get paid. I also think if he sits out voluntarily his rights are retained by the Browns for next year so still tradable. Maybe I am wrong but if you sit out while under contract, that contract year does not count and the contract year of the season you skipped is still in place. I could be wrong so if anyone knows sure chime in.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

So put him in the stands and the tv camera can play "Where's Waldo?"

Hopefully it will never come to this, but he really has no leg to stand on here.

Report or be finded.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He could retire therefore forfeiting the money he has yet to earn.

[Linked Image]

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
WE can and should hold onto Baker. We can't get much for him now because of his salary, Baker wanting to leave etc. But as soon as a QB on another team gets hurt, and it usually happens, Bakers value will go up and now we will be in the drivers seat. JMO

M
Legend
Legend
M

Hahahaha. To remember all the takes you had attempting to make fun of Rishuz and to see a resigned post like this.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
He was overboard non stop.

I never said Baker was good. But he is not as bad as he made him out to be.

He is as good as Wentz, Jimmy G, Goff, Mariota, Trubisky.

He will play.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Baker is and will be a good QB some place - some when. You don't complete 21 straight passes in a row by accident. You don't turn a losing culture and team around under a fired HC and instability and go from 1-31 to winning 50% of your games as rookie. You don't get graded he 5th best QB in the NFL over 9 games by accident.

It's not hard. The haters can continue to gloat and dance a jig. A bit sad that the situation is such that there is no market for Baker which really hurts the Browns - and some fans are delighted.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
At this point, waiting for Baker movement, we might as well make a game of it. Month and team.

August, Niners. - Gut says he goes there and turns into the next Montana.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/22/22 08:00 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
WE can and should hold onto Baker. We can't get much for him now because of his salary, Baker wanting to leave etc. But as soon as a QB on another team gets hurt, and it usually happens, Bakers value will go up and now we will be in the drivers seat. JMO

Yes, we will get some compensation from his cap hit (whatever that ends up being after a trade/game checks), but just not for this years draft, which is what most of us hoped for ...
Then there is his injury rehab that further complications things.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
At this point, waiting for Baker movement, we might as well make a game of it. Month and team.

August, Niners. - Gut says he goes there and turns into the next Montana.

What about Lance?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Let's hope this is to facilitate a Baker trade.

Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought I'd stop in and give my thoughts on Baker and maybe a couple of other topics. Probably won't stick around. I left the board quite some time ago due to all the attacks by the Baker fans. I asked Ref 3 to delete my account and I assumed he did. I miss talking football, but the Pure Football forum turned into comments like "I am glad you were never my children's teacher." Pure Football, indeed. I do know that some of you respected my football knowledge. So, here goes.

I have read this board off and on since I left. It always seemed like an alternative universe. Almost all of the sports world had a far different take on Baker and the Browns than the guys who dominate the conversations on this board. Here are some of my takes on Baker.

First, and foremost, I think he is an emotional midget. I brought that up long ago and it didn't turn out too well for me on here. LOL. I think he is extremely arrogant and has a real sense of entitlement. I think that can work in high school and college, but he is playing w/grown ass men now. Baker and his wife were so visible on social media. Neither could endure any sort of criticism. Lashing out at anyone who threw shade at Baker, even if the things that were said were true. It's weird that one can be so arrogant and insecure at the same time. Challenging a fan to a fight. Calling out a teammate. Lashing out at the fans. Chastising the media. Alienating teammates. Using excuses to mask poor play.

On the field, the guy has major weaknesses. He holds the ball way too long. He is terrible at going through his progressions. He can be accurate, but analytics show that he is off target on more throws than just about any qb in the league. The only guys worse than him this year were two rookies, Fields and Wilson. One of his main issues is how he can't handle pressure. He stinks at the end of games when the Browns need him to step up. He also folds when he is pressured in the pocket. Watch how many times he ducks his head and takes needless sacks. The other qbs on the Browns were only sacked once in three games when Baker was out. Coincidence? I think not. His failure to handle pressure in the pocket always leads to breakdowns in his mechanics. His front foot is often way too open. A recipe for errant throws. But, this is a guy who was too good for "broom sweepers." Another huge problem is that teams figured out to keep him in the pocket. He is short. He has a hard time delivering the ball over the LOS. Thus, his throws are often high.

I think his act got old w/his teammates and the coaching staff. It had to be tiring to hear how bad the OL play was. How his receivers sucked. How Stefanski was holding Baker back. His TEs were terrible. The fans and media were "haters." It had to be exhausting.

I did notice the outrage on the board when OBJ's dad called out Baker, but did anyone even mention that Baker's wife did the same thing to the Brown's receivers when someone was comparing Baker to Herbert w/the Chargers? How the hell did that get overlooked. It's a rhetorical question. She also implied the other guys were not as tough as Baker. And OBJ's camp said that Baker was jealous of attention that he got and refused to throw him the ball......even in practice. OBJ did not want out of Cleveland. He wanted away from Baker. The former was the local villain, but that was not the case in the locker room. Rob Nikovich, a former edge rusher for the Patriots who now does radio work for the team relayed a story on Get UP about how not one teammate went up to Baker after he left the blue tent in the game. Baker lost the team w/his arrogance and poor play.

There will be folks who try and spin why no one is trading for Baker. But, just last year.......there was a poster on here who said Baker was like Joe Montana. The owner of the board said he would not take one qb over Baker. Others claimed he was top 2, top 3, top 5. If he was even in the top 20, teams would trade for him. No one wants him right now because he is a bad qb, has a guaranteed salary approaching $19 million or so, thinks he is way better than he is, and is an emotional midget.

The Once Upon a time poster[s] on here who say that no free agents would want to come here because of Stefanski have it all wrong in my book. I have been saying that no WR in his right mind would want to come and play w/Baker. Landry got worse w/Baker. So did Hooper. As did OBJ.......and then the latter went and balled out in LA when he had a decent qb. I think the NFL has wised-up to Baker, even if he and his loyal fans have not.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 03/22/22 08:47 PM. Reason: Accurate, not inaccurate.
2 members like this: Ballpeen, GratefulDawg
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Let's hope this is to facilitate a Baker trade.

Rhule did play against Baker 2017 when he coached Baylor.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
He is better than those guys. Truth is we had people hating on baker draft night five years ago. Those who spent post after post telling us how awful baker is really have no idea. It saddens me to see all the attacks on baker that these threads contain. Does anyone remember the two years before baker. That would be the 1-31 years. Does anyone remember baker coming in against the jets and the electricity in the stands. And the win!!! Yes a win. And from that point forward we have been relevant. We have been a playoff team and won a playoff game. That is all on baker and I have appreciated him.

Watching him struggle thru an injury plagued season has been hard. Harder yet has been watching browns fans turn against our quarterback. He gave his all this year and he will be back. Someone is going to get a steal when they get him. I just pray the Steelers don’t get him because I fear he would cause us problems for years to come.

6 members like this: OldColdDawg, WSU Willie, Tackman
Legend
Legend
"yo, remember the time we was driving around in a pontiac aztek? yea that was crazy. i got that one job and upgraded to a Ford fusion. it was better than the aztek for sure. but now that i have the money and assets to afford to daily drive a lambo, i still miss my fusion. why? well, not because it was reliable or anything, it was just better than the aztek."

thats what some of yall sound like right now. yes, Baker was an upgrade from those miserable days, but lets not act like that was a very high bar to clear. i get that those days were bad, but take a step back and realize that we can't get comfortable with average (was he even average?) which was Baker.

since 2018, baker lead the league in batted passes and interceptions. if he was really that dude, he'd already be traded to another team to be the starter.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
2 members like this: CapCity Dawg, ScottPlayersFacemask
R
Legend
Legend
R
At this point we should all hope the Steelers get him. That's two wins a year.

I do think Baker can be a good QB, but it will only happen if he gets humbled somehow. I think sitting behind a guy like Brady would be a great situation for him. Something tells me he thinks he's too good for that. If he's not careful he'll find himself our of the NFL in a year or two.

Legend
Legend
God I remember when people swore up and down baker was better than lamar Jackson.

Or when trubisky was better than Watson.

Oh hey, trubisky got a freaking job before baker. Mariota got a job before baker. Colts said they’ll roll with a 37 year old QB over baker. Seattle rather roll the dice with drew locke. The panthers rather draft a rookie and have him compete with Sam freaking darnold. Washington rolled with the commanders.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Surprised to see you posting Vers. Shortly before you stopped posting you sent me a PM in regard to a religious thread, I think. I want to let you know I wasn't even aware at the time that you had sent it to me. I did reply in case you didn't see it. I don't always agree with you but you certainly make the boards interesting.

Legend
Legend
yeah... quickly is evident that Baker may not have a place in the NFL next year..... sure feels like we're going to end up cutting him

<><

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I see him being a chip on draft day to trade up.

No Craps Given
All Pro
All Pro
The floodgates is truly open on hating Baker.

Two seasons ago he was a part of the Browns first play off win in decades and this is his reward after playing injured almost the whole last season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Floquinho

Two seasons ago he was a part of the Browns first play off win in decades and this is his reward after playing injured almost the whole last season.

THIS IS THE NFL...NOT FOR LONG!

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Originally Posted by Floquinho

THIS IS THE NFL...NOT FOR LONG!
Thanks for the information. I thought it was the little league but after your insightful and intelligent answer everything makes sense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
"yo, remember the time we was driving around in a pontiac aztek? yea that was crazy. i got that one job and upgraded to a Ford fusion. it was better than the aztek for sure. but now that i have the money and assets to afford to daily drive a lambo, i still miss my fusion. why? well, not because it was reliable or anything, it was just better than the aztek."

thats what some of yall sound like right now. yes, Baker was an upgrade from those miserable days, but lets not act like that was a very high bar to clear. i get that those days were bad, but take a step back and realize that we can't get comfortable with average (was he even average?) which was Baker.

since 2018, baker lead the league in batted passes and interceptions. if he was really that dude, he'd already be traded to another team to be the starter.

You nailed the analogy. I keep hearing about when we were 1-31. Yeah, I remember that, but that argument means we should be happy with 2-30. Mediocrity was an improvement, but at some point we should want more than that.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Swish
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted by Swish

You nailed the analogy. I keep hearing about when we were 1-31. Yeah, I remember that, but that argument means we should be happy with 2-30. Mediocrity was an improvement, but at some point we should want more than that.

Yes...more...yes...like a playoff appearance and win.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Report or be fined.
Didn't Watson sit home last season and got paid $10 million doing so? Why couldn't Baker do the same?

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Baker Mayfield 3.0

Link Copied to Clipboard