Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
Legend
V
The words "could be" were conveniently left out of the thread title.

3 members like this: DeisleDawg, jfanent, CapCity Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Mike Brown grumbling and checking the couch cushions trying to figure out he's going to pay Burrow when his deal comes due!

Legend
Legend
Laughable.

Thirteen other teams expressed interest. Four submitted bids.

It was reported at least one other team was willing to match the offer.

Sour grapes.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm surprised no one has blamed the "baseball guy" yet. rolleyes

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
not even a "sources" anywhere in there. Let us know if this rises to even 'unsubstantiated rumor' level.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Anyone who breaks the RULES?, they will NOT be popular- Jesus, Galileo, Columbus,....Browns gave a ton for Watson and other teams will have to give a ton for their own talent now....or lose them....old saying Money talks, and BS walks.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
I don't know what "cold shoulder" means, but other owners being p*ssed is a given.

There aren't a whole lot of owners that can meet that size of guarantee in that contract, for one simple reason -- that money needs to go in escrow.

There are a few "cash poor" owners in this league that couldn't even come close to that number. Mark Davis couldn't afford to give the guarantee Khalil Mack asked for. The Broncos structured Von Miller's contract to meet his guarantees with workout guarantees, etc. That's fine because it helps postpone "the bill", but it also creates very expensive dead cap money.

Haslam flexed his muscles with his huge amount of liquidity. Any team needing to sign a fQB over the next few years will be cursing Jimmy when agents are demanding similar guarantees.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
What is a contract if it is not guaranteed?

If someone signs "a contract" to buy your home; is that money guaranteed?

If I sign a contract for something. I expect to pay in full.

If a player agrees to play for a team for five years for $47. Should he not expect to be paid the annual amount as the contract spells it out?

The whole guaranteed contract comes from obsolete times.

There are some longstanding structural barriers that have prevented guaranteed contracts from becoming more common in the NFL. But contrary to popular belief, there is nothing to prevent a player or player's agent from negotiating a contract that is fully guaranteed. In fact, that's exactly how such deals became the norm for players in MLB, the NBA, and the NHL. The difference is that years ago, a variety of competitive circumstances provided players in those leagues with a strong enough bargaining position to establish contract guarantees as standard in ways that never happened in the NFL.

As Roger Noll, an emeritus professor of economics at Stanford University, told me: "Guaranteed contracts were created by competitive necessity."

Legend
Legend
I wonder if Jerry Jones is getting the cold shoulder:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ettle-cheerleaders-voyeurism-allegations

F
Legend
Legend
F
Didnt rogers just get a fully guaranteed contract for more per year?

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
The first two years (of three) are fully guaranteed at just north of 100M.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think any owner would be happy about a team causing a situation that creates a huge increase in QB costs. I think that goes without saying. But it's not like that situation hasn't been created by other teams at different positions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Jerry Jones pays off a number of Cowboy cheeleaders to the tune of $2.4m on allegations of voyeurism.

"Personal Conduct Policy?" guess it does not apply to owners like Kraft, Jones, or Synder.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Voyeurism??

Homie has peep holes in the locker room??

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
Jerry Jones pays off a number of Cowboy cheeleaders to the tune of $2.4m on allegations of voyeurism.

"Personal Conduct Policy?" guess it does not apply to owners like Kraft, Jones, or Synder.

Not the same. I don't think Jerry is the one responsible for the camera. The Cowboys were named because they are the ones with the deep pockets.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Yes.

Read what the accusations spell out. Jones's top guy was accused.

Jerry paid the cheerleaders off. In addition he is being accused as fathering a child outside of his marriage.

The peepng tom charge was pretty creepy.

Of course that was not the first time Jones paid someone off:

https://thesportsrush.com/nfl-news-...r-his-teammate-not-giving-him-his-chair/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Good grief! Yahoo sports? Really? There is at least a dozen teams who (lost the sweepstakes) wish they had Watson today.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
Employees of any corporation or company are acting as their agents at any facility that is owned by such an entity.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Other owners can eat my whole ass. Could not care less they are mad, they haven't tried to help us over 30 years of misery.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by BpG
Other owners can eat my whole ass. Could not care less they are mad, they haven't tried to help us over 30 10 years of misery.

I'd say that's just about dead-on as far as Jimmy's sentiment.

Legend
Legend
Owner outrage is comical.

Thirteen teams inquired. The only reason the others did not was because they were already set.

The only team that "maybe" had no interest for reasons of their own was the Steelers. They had already signed Trubisky before Watson decided.

So, I am unsure if they would have shown interest. Any team in the Browns shoes would have gone after Watson IMO.

That is reality. I am not saying what is right of wrong. Simple facts not justification. Once DW was not indicted. Open season.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Employees of any corporation or company are acting as their agents at any facility that is owned by such an entity.

Right. How long did it take you to look at up?

The point is Jerry wasn't the one placing the camera's. No doubt the Cowboy's INC. were going to be named.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I know the original post was designed to make the Browns look bad, but I absolutely love the fact that Baltimore's owner is throwing a hissy fit about the market of QBs has been altered by the Brown's signing Watson to this deal. He's gotta deal w/Lamar Jackson and he just got put in an uncomfortable position. Way to go, Browns!!!!

2 members like this: jfanent, FATE
D
Legend
Legend
D
Of all the things that bother me about my football team trading for an apparent skeeve like Watson, what other owners think of the details of his contract do not matter in the slightest. Screw them. Except for the Bills and the Steelers, they turned their backs on us when the team moved. Hosed us during the run up to the rebirth, the expansion draft, and in general treated us like the skunks at the garden party ever since.

Legend
Legend
NFL "personal conduct policy."

mmmmmmm

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-jones-biological-father-deny-conspiracy

Daniel Snyder the "mister feel good guy" from the "Redskins."

Another "personal conduct" winner.

Robert Happy Ending Kraft. How does that "personal conduct" suit fit Krafty man?

Hypocrisy:
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform;

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Right. How long did it take you to look at up?

The point is Jerry wasn't the one placing the camera's. No doubt the Cowboy's INC. were going to be named.

I didn't have to look that up. You just made it sound like they went after the Cowboys because of them having deep pockets. Which they do. But the fact is that's the logical venue to sue in any work related incident. I didn't want anyone being fooled into believing your deep pockets description was the main and only reason. You see, when you refuse to include something that's very pertinent to the situation it often times paints a picture that does not exist. You're welcome.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
My comment was in reply to a question about why the owner isn't/wasn't held to the personal conduct policy.

You make things way harder than they need to be.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
J/C

It’s laughable to think other NFL teams wouldn’t have signed Watson if they had the chance and resources. Nobody is noble in the NFL.

In terms of money, at least the Haslams are willing to pony up to try and make us a winning team. I don’t really care about the guaranteed stuff, unless Watson ends up being totally suspended or something

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

I know the original post was designed to make the Browns look bad, but I absolutely love the fact that Baltimore's owner is throwing a hissy fit about the market of QBs has been altered by the Brown's signing Watson to this deal. He's gotta deal w/Lamar Jackson and he just got put in an uncomfortable position. Way to go, Browns!!!!

LOL!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: PastorMarc
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns Gtting Cold Shoulder at Meetings

Link Copied to Clipboard