Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1937124 04/03/22 06:51 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
We have talked about grilling and smokers before, but I got a couple of new outdoor cooking toys.

Last Father's Day, the kids bought me 5-burner, cast iron griddle. The thing is great. Breakfast is awesome on it. Smash burgers, Cheesesteak subs, tacos, fajitas, steaks w/a great crust on them, etc. I love that thing. Have any of you been able to use one?

My wife and I also bought a pellet fed Ooni pizza oven. It gets unbelievably hot and you can cook a NY style pizza in 60 seconds. I haven't used it much and am still getting the hang of it, because I like my crust a little thicker than NY style, but damn, it makes great pizza. And one of the drawbacks of living in the south is that the pizza joints aren't all that.

I also built a new outdoor fireplace awhile back and a rotisserie. The results have been mixed on that one. A couple of sudden thunderstorms put a damper on the would-be chicken dinner. LOL

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have been wanting one of those propane flat tops for the back yard. We are just so limited in space that I cannot see us squeezing one in.

I have the Kettle Pizza insert for my Weber kettle, and I can that fairly hot (700 degrees) with hickory splits.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
My sister won one of those propane flat tops. She essentially gave it to my mom. My sister spends her summer essentially living in her camper on my mom’s land. They put the flattop under a metal roofed open patio. The flat top gets used a ton for summer meals with the family. Most breakfasts get cooked on it. Then it’s the grill or the flat top for dinner.

I cooked for years in the restaurant industry prior to becoming a nurse. I love to cook. One of the downsides of moving far from home, and not having kids of my own, is I don’t have people to cook for. No family dinners. I break out the grill and smoker regularly for myself (meat eater) and my girlfriend (vegan) but no big briskets or such are being cooked.
Life is full of trade offs.

[Linked Image]
FrankZ #1937127 04/03/22 07:40 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah Frank, the 5-burner griddle takes up a lot of room. But man, it's great to cook on. My wife bought a portable 2-burner PitBoss griddle. We take that when Tailgating and some trips. I also use it when preparing smaller meals like searing Filet Mignon or making things like grilled cheese.

The pizza maker gets to over 900 degrees. I only use oak pellets because they get so hot and our ideal for that pizza oven. They are harder to find, though. I'm sure 700 degrees is more than hot enough. LOL

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
700 degrees is enough to sear the back of my hand if I lose attention to what I'm doing.

FrankZ #1937131 04/03/22 08:05 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
LOL

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I missed your post earlier. Flat tops are awesome. I was working as a bartender in a biker bar a long time ago and I was amazed at how great those things were. I did not realize that they made outdoor griddles for the public. My son-in-law bought one to accompany his smoker and I was amazed by the griddle. The kids saw my reaction and got me one for Father's Day. It was pretty cool.

LOL.......as an aside.......I love using the the stainless steel spatulas when cooking. I use two at once and it's cool to just hear them clinking off of one another and the flat top. I feel like some sort of Japanese chef. LOL......not really, but it's still pretty cool.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I love outdoor cooking. I've had a 22" Blackstone for a couple yrs. I use it at home all the time and we take it to the campground when we host out there a few months every summer. I rarely use the grill anymore. I did struggle keeping it seasoned when I first got it, but now with a few years of seasoning it's got a wonderful stick free surface. I scrape it smooth and wipe it down after every cook, then put a thin coat of oil on it.

I have an offset smoker. It's a stickburner (logs only) that needs babysitting but l love the process. You can have those pellet grills, they don't compare. Just did the year's first brisket last weekend.

The kids bought me a wood fired pizza oven last summer, that thing's a lot of fun. It does spit out the pizza's really quick when we have people over. I've also baked small chickens in it. They come out really good, better than the smoker because you can run it at a higher temp. You can get a nice crisp skin.

The last thing I like to use is my tripod over the campfire with a pot called a Can Cooker. I make an awesome camp stew with it, or it's great to put on a nice pot of chili on fall afternoons.

Now, if I can fire up the still I'll be all set, lol.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have shared this before Ill share it again

Get some pork steaks ( not chops... steaks )
Marinade in baslamic vinegar and garlic powder, salt and pepper for 15 minutes.
Put it on a grill slap on country style dijon mustered flip more mustard.
flip again and again the mustard will burn off. If its done with flame you wont know the mustard was there

Thats it done its amazing
I love it and its so simple

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Checked out one of those Ooni pizza ovens at a tailgate last year. Dude was putting out some amazing pies and they were tasty. I know they're not cheap but something that cool is well worth the cost.

Pizza at Vers' place this summer! (I'll bring the bourbon wink )

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Seasoning is the key w/the griddles. Mine came pre-seasoned, but I seasoned it another 6 times before I used it. My first cook was a pound of bacon and that actually helped season it more. It's got that nice blue-black finish. If anyone out there buys one, be sure to season the sides, as well.

I have only used the pizza oven twice. The pollen sucks right now, but I want to use it more. I like the chicken idea. I read about that being an option before we bought it.

I want to get one of those tripod stands, too. There is something comforting about cooking that way.

Fate, you're welcome to come on over w/your bourbon. LOL

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
One thing that got my griddle seasoning on track was to fry up a bunch of onions, sliced thickly and enough to cover the entire surface. It was a youtube tip that I saw repeated a few times, but didn't pay much attention to. Once those were done, the griddle top had the deep black, shiny surface I was looking for.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I missed your post earlier. Flat tops are awesome. I was working as a bartender in a biker bar a long time ago and I was amazed at how great those things were. I did not realize that they made outdoor griddles for the public. My son-in-law bought one to accompany his smoker and I was amazed by the griddle. The kids saw my reaction and got me one for Father's Day. It was pretty cool.

LOL.......as an aside.......I love using the the stainless steel spatulas when cooking. I use two at once and it's cool to just hear them clinking off of one another and the flat top. I feel like some sort of Japanese chef. LOL......not really, but it's still pretty cool.

LOL...I hear you, but in reality probably more like the chef working the flattop down at the Waffle House.

Flat grills are underrated. You can put out some good food on those things. You don't need to cook everything over a open flame or glowing embers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
I love my griddle. Not only can you make a pound of hashbrowns, pound of bacon, 8 eggs and 4 pancakes simultaneously, it cooks so evenly, great for burgers and steaks.

Florida is hard on outdoor equipment, and gas grill burners rust through quickly causing large flare ups and hotspots. Seasoning is the key to it working well.

Actually got a good cleaning kit with pumice bricks and all, and scrubbed it down a couple months ago and re-seasoned it. Amazing what the buildup had become over a couple years.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
T
Legend
Legend
T
thread titles effect ads.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That’s AWESOME!

During COVID, I took up smoking meats. I have an offset and last year I bought a 36 inch camp chef woodwind pellet grill. I love that thing. I was up to the point of using it every weekend. My wife is mildly anemic so she loves it when I make brisket. Haven’t done it as much lately with the prices of things, like brisket, skyrocketing. I love doing it though.

It comes with a side propane burner attachment that also has a pizza oven you put over top. My wife is first gen Italian American, so she loves using that and she cranks out some really good pizza. I’ve been seriously considering an Ooni or a solo stove for the authentic wood fired style though. We’ll probably move in the next 2-3 years and she is hyper focused on making sure we have an outdoor kitchen area to expand our hobbies, haha.

FATE, what kind of bourbon? I do love bourbon and rye. Makes me think I should start another thread…

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I also recently got into smoking meats. The wife got me a Weber Smoky Mountain vertical smoker for Father's Day a few years back. As far as hardware goes, I highly recommend the WSM for anyone who's not 100% sure they want to start buying into the whole smoking thing. It was only a couple hundred $ new, available at all Home Depot's, and just takes regular ol' charcoal and wood chunks. It's also very light and portable (I can fit it (but nothing else) into the back of my wagon), so I can take it to my parents' for Thanksgiving and pack it away nicely in the garage. A neighbor of mine is also an amateur carpenter, and when he has clean cut-offs of an interesting wood he's using he'll give those to me.

That said, now that I'm "in" I'm looking to upgrade. A Traeger, or similar pellet smoker would be nice for the convenience (select a temp and letting tech keep it stable vs fussing with air vents makes smoking largely idiot-proof). I'm also looking at an Egg or offset for the traditional experience (and taste). Once we embark on dialing in the backyard (with the outdoor kitchen), my fancy smoker purchase will happen.

I haven't done a large cook in a while (pork butt or brisket), but lately I've focusing on perfecting ribs and poultry. Beef ribs are up next.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: dawglover05
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I was stupidly about to ask you what WSM stood for, then I just realized you spelled it out right beforehand.

I definitely agree about the pellet grill. We ended up going with Camp Chef, but like you said, it makes it a lot easier to make things that take a very long time, like brisket. I usually do it Texas style, with just a salt and pepper rub and toss it on the pellet grill with a full hopper around 11 PM. I wrap it in foil when I get up in the morning, and then toss it into a cooler packed with towels after it reaches temp and leave it in there for 3 hours or so. My wife (mild anemic) is a huge fan of any smoked red meat, especially the brisket. It’s a LOT easier than when I’d get up at 3 AM to toss the brisket in the offset.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I love my Weber kettle charcoal grill. Ive never used propane but understand that it has its benefits- especially when cooking steak. - The hotter the better. I've always wanted a brick oven for pizzas. There are a few youtube videos that discuss how to make them on our own and I might delve into it this summer.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I did beef ribs yesterday while I was getting the lawn back under control. I think I did ok for my first go at it. I tried to wing it with a random concoction I whipped up as a sauce for when I wrapped them. I also left my smoker open while I was wrapping them, and the big gulp of air cranked up my fire for too long.

TLDR: way over-seasoned, and could've been more tender. Oh well. Kroger beef ribs served their purpose. Next time I'll do better.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Haha it’s all about learning, man! That happened to me when I left mine open as well. Thought I might need the extinguisher. Caused me to chat a pork butt - on the outside.

Did you do a 3-2-1 method with beef ribs? I’ve only done pork spare, and I typically do 3 hours on the smoker, 2 hours wrapped, and 1 hour in the smoker again with the sauce.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Pretty much. For ribs, I look for good color and the beginning of retraction, then wrap. When I have my fire under control, that's usually about 3 hours.

I wrap, put them back on, and will check about every 30 minutes for more retraction. For beef, I stuck a temperature probe in there and let that be my guide. For pork, I just watch for retraction (plus I'm usually butting up against dinner time). When I sauce at the end, I only put them back on the smoker for ~20 minutes to let the sauce tack up.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Stopped into the Lodge factory store today. That place makes me want to spend money.

FrankZ #1938535 04/12/22 07:06 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Stopped into the Lodge factory store today. That place makes me want to spend money.
A Classic great American company hmmm new thread?

Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #1938536 04/12/22 07:45 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't know if we spent enough for a new thread. I did get that cast iron sauce cup and brush I had wanted though.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Last night stopped and picked up some sirloins, potatoes and broccoli. $20.56

Sliced the potatoes into a "chips" about 1/8-1/4" thick. Little olive oil, cracked black pepper, garlic salt.
Cut up the broccoli, put in a steamer basket with some cracked (put some garlic salt and rosemary in the water below.
Seasoned the steaks with a little olive oil, black pepper, Montreal steak seasoning, tenderized lightly.

Put the steam pot on the griddle and turned on the 1 burner and let it sit 15 minutes, then threw on the potatoes over light drizzle of olive oil on the surface. Got both of those cooking probably another 10 minutes. Then threw on the steaks, flipped them over after 3 minutes, cooked another 3 minutes. Apparently I had the burner on real low on that side, so I had to turn them 2 more times for a minute or 2 with higher heat to get them to medium.

But it all came out great, steaks were so tender and juicy and full of flavor.

I have taken heed of my portion sizes these days and we both only ate half of each steak, which leaves us enough to make a plate for lunch today. So a steak dinner and lunch for 2, for about $5 a plate.

Added benefit, no heating up the kitchen/house with the stove or oven. When you live in Florida, that is a thing. smile

Last edited by FloridaFan; 04/13/22 07:16 AM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I have never been big on olive oil for cooking. It tastes wonderful in a salad dressing or for dipping breads and what not, but if has the lowest smoke temp of all the major oils. It tends to burn and break down, leaving a off flavor.

It starts to break down around 350 degrees, and unless you are trying to poach your steaks, your grill temp is way higher than that. It isn't dangerous to use that way as some have claimed in the past, but it does leave a off flavor IMO.

Maybe try not using any oil on the steak. I never coat the meat in oil. Just the seasoning. Just season a bit longer before you grill to allow the salt's to start to dissolve.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
I used the oil to help keep the seasoning on the steak, and help keep the meat from searing to the surface on that first contact, it's very light. I usually use A1 or Worcestershire, but found I was out of both. smile

B
Legend
Legend
B
I understand. I wasn't trying to condemn, just trying to help.

I discussed the part about the seasoning. Put in on the meat 30 minutes before you cook. It will stick.

To prevent sticking, for as little used, just wipe down the griddle with a canola oil or a quick shot of spray. The meat you used also plays a part. I love a meaty sirloin, but it is the lean cut with little fat to help self season. I find those great for open grilling, but in a pan or flat surface, yeah, they need help to not stick.

At any rate, it sounded like a pretty solid meal to me.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I have never been big on olive oil for cooking. It tastes wonderful in a salad dressing or for dipping breads and what not, but if has the lowest smoke temp of all the major oils. It tends to burn and break down, leaving a off flavor.

It starts to break down around 350 degrees, and unless you are trying to poach your steaks, your grill temp is way higher than that. It isn't dangerous to use that way as some have claimed in the past, but it does leave a off flavor IMO.

Maybe try not using any oil on the steak. I never coat the meat in oil. Just the seasoning. Just season a bit longer before you grill to allow the salt's to start to dissolve.

This is good to know. Thank you. I kinda have 2 modes for steaks depending on the dinner situation (quick and "right"). When I'm cooking some beef for a normal dinner I'll use some oil (usually olive) just out of habit... but I'll start looking at others.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I discussed the part about the seasoning. Put in on the meat 30 minutes before you cook. It will stick.

To prevent sticking, for as little used, just wipe down the griddle with a canola oil or a quick shot of spray. The meat you used also plays a part. I love a meaty sirloin, but it is the lean cut with little fat to help self season. I find those great for open grilling, but in a pan or flat surface, yeah, they need help to not stick.

Personally I use safflower oil for all things grilling. I really don't like the flavor of canola (rape seed) oil.

Depending on what I am cooking i will coat the meat. Typically when I grill if I wipe the grate it just bursts into flame before I can get the meat on there if I am doing something like steak with direct heat.

Legend
Legend
j/c...

Avocado Oil FTW.

520° smoke point; smooth, mild, buttery flavor works in all recipes. Everything from eggs in the morning to a steak marinade. Pretty much all I use now.

Try it and you'll never go back.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: oobernoober
FrankZ #1938611 04/13/22 11:20 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FrankZ

Personally I use safflower oil for all things grilling. I really don't like the flavor of canola (rape seed) oil.

Depending on what I am cooking i will coat the meat. Typically when I grill if I wipe the grate it just bursts into flame before I can get the meat on there if I am doing something like steak with direct heat.

Whatever works for you...I use corn as well. I use so little in that way I don't really taste it. If I griddle cook, I have to do it in a cast iron skillet since i don't have a griddle anymore.. I don't even have to oil it because it is already well seasoned.

When I have to give it a good cleaning and reseason, I just fry up 6 slices of bacon, strain the bits and rub it down with bacon grease before baking the pan for 30 minutes in a hot pan in the oven.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Along the same lines as whether to use olive oil to season a steak before grilling or not, I have read that black pepper should be avoided as a rub because it burns and leaves an acrid taste. After I read that, I started using salt and garlic powder on both sides instead. If I want pepper I just add it after cooking.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
O
Legend
Legend
O
I've learned to love my skillet. I think my season still has some growing room, but I started things out with grapeseed oil.

-PrplPplEater
F
Legend
Legend
F

I didn't take it as condemning. tongue Appreciate the input, I just prefer the olive oil when I don't have the others, as I feel the Canola oil gives it a somewhat fishy taste.
I don't know why, but to me Canola oil on a grill smells like week old fry oil that was used to cook fish sticks. rofl

Sadly, my wife is ingrained with eating at 6pm, when you get home at 5:20-5:30, that doesn't leave a lot of time for letting things marinade, so I typically hasten the process on my night to cook. smile

O
Legend
Legend
O
I have a question....

I'm not all that familiar with griddles. Can I get the same effect by just plopping a big flat piece of metal on top of my gas grill?

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Maybe.

To some degree it depends on the metal you use. But in reality that is what a griddle is, a big flat piece of metal.

Legend
Legend
Yes. Absolutely.
I tried to tell my brother this, but he had his heart set on getting rid of his existing grill and buying one of those BlackStone griddles. Rather than having the best of both worlds, he simple changed which one he didn't have.

I would recommend buying a cast iron griddle that fits inside your grill, though, and not just grabbing a piece of sheet metal you may have laying around. Aside from it not having oils and other residues that sheet metal may have, or God-forbid, being galvanized, it will be thicker and heat more evenly thus giving a better result.

Lodge makes one that is roughly 16" long, and I think you can even pick it up at Home Depot for under $40, among other big box stores.
Ideally, measure the grates of your grill, then see if you can find a cast iron griddle the same size... then, you can just set them on top of your existing grates and you could have as much McDonald's or Burger King as you want (griddle vs flame-broiled).

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 05/18/22 09:27 AM.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I agree w/you about cast iron. My griddle is cast iron and thick. It also has 5 burners and is capable of getting way hotter than any gas grill I have ever owned, which is important when searing or making smash burgers. I love the griddle and have only used my gas grill twice since I received the griddle last Father's Day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Outdoor Cooking

Link Copied to Clipboard