Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1865477 05/25/21 04:56 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

When I first heard reggae music I was in college at a party and someone had the album:

"The Harder They Come" a sound track from a movie of the same name. It starred Jimmy Cliff.

Everybody danced. That album was played all night.

In 2021, the album was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Recording Registry.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/the-harder-they-come-soundtrack/

Soon after that came out Bob Marley rose to international fame.

He became a legend and still to this day. He is a influence on music.

Myself. I still listen to reggae. I love it.

Here is a guy from Kenya who I like a lot.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I always loved the band Culture because of Joseph Hill’s voice.

I use to run lights at a club that regularly hosted a Columbus area reggae group called The Ark Band. Man could they get a crowd going. The floor would bounce. Fun guys back stage too… as long as you were 4:20 friendly. They could hotbox the Superdome.
They were formed by a couple of brothers from the Dominican Republic, Eustace Bobb (bass player/singer) and Terry Bobb (drummer/singer)
I always dug Eustace’s voice. The bonus was he seemed like a genuinely good, down to earth guy.

Their ‘lead’ singer was a guy from St Louis named Damon. He had a great voice, was good looking, and knew how to work the crowd. The girls LOVED him. The nights they’d play the place would be packed with beautiful girls.
And man his voice…

The reggae I generally listen to now is what I refer to as ‘whiteboy reggae’. There’s a bunch of bands out there like Slightly Stoopid, Stick Figure, and Rebelution that make for great background music in the shop or outback in the yard on a sunny day.
Here’s Stick Figure featuring Slightly Stoopid…

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
A Christ-based reggae act named Christafari. Some of their stuff is pretty good.

Reggae is ubiquitous when listening to the radio on the Hawaiian islands. This is an island based act that went by NynTyn. I believe they’ve changed their name to Hoku Aki.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

There are many reggae songs and groups I like. But I don't want to hog a thread.

I will add this song becasue it has been covered by many.

I spent about six months in Belize back in 1977. Reggae and steel drums were the sound. The clubs in Belize City were something else. The music pounding into the streets from shacks on stilts. I would go into places and often I was the only white guy. The people were warm and friendly. I was totally accepted. I came close to buying land and staying there. I loved it.

The fishing and diving was crazy good. I went to weddings and funerals. I had a big dog (part St. Bernard and Husky)
his name was "Willy." He went everywhere I went. Everybody knew him. He was twice the size of the dogs there. People saved big bones and gave them to him. He was super friendly and all the people in the villages loved him.

It was a great time in my life. I had a backpack and tent and lived on the ground. Traveling all over Belize and Guatemala.

I wish I could do it all over again.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
This is another Ark Band song. It’s a better show case of Damon’s voice. He’s now fronting another reggae act in Columbus I believe.

He had the vocal chops. I bet he’s still sharing it somewhere.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Son of a legend. He puts on a good show too.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

First Light, with Carlos Jones.
Released in 1987...doesn't seem possible that it was 30 years ago. 'First Light' and Carlos Jones are local band in Cleveland. In their first decade, they played about 250 dates a year! In May 1984, they opened for the Clash at Public Hall. They still have occasional gigs in the area.
Track list:
1.Reggae Meltdown
2.Tolerate
3.Unity Of Conscience
4.Situation
5.Running
6.Island Time
7.Apartment Living
8.The Light

love this one!

This is a short video clip of First Light (Cleveland) playing 'Where Reggae Comes From' LIVE @ The Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights, OH.

Carlos Jones P.L.U.S. Band - Topic
118 subscribers
Provided to YouTube by The Orchard Enterprises

Where Reggae Comes From · Carlos Jones & The PLUS Band

Leave a Trail

℗ 2009 Little Fish Records

Released on: 2009-08-18

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 05/26/21 10:20 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I love this song and the album of
Shaggy and Sting.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Keith Richards with Playing for Change

"Words of Wonder" "Get Up Stand Up"

O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm a bit of a Shaggy fan. I haven't heard all of his music but this one is my favorite of the songs I have heard.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/27/21 01:05 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
My first reggae music experience was UB40. Sure I had heard Marley but I wasn't that into him when I was younger. And I had heard reggae on Tv and in movies... but again, it was UB40 that turned me into a fan.

After that it was Marley, Shaggy, and a handful of others that had me liking the beats. I prefer bluesy rock, straight up blues, and classic rock BUT I can do reggae and enjoy it too.

I like most music genres. I don't mind country, bluegrass, metal, punk, pop, swing, big band, etc. etc. etc. The only music I really dislike is electronic club music, that loud base crap that rattles the windows on cars, religious music, polka, chant, and most foreign sounds like Chinese, Japanese, or Indian music. I don't like the sound of their instruments mostly.

EDIT: And KPOP, the girl groups were cute at first, but I don't care for that music at all.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/27/21 01:23 PM.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I like UB40. they had some good numbers.

Kinda watered down white guy reggae but still good.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree about it being watered down, but if that's where you started, that's where you started... wink

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I get it. No problem.

Like I said I like them.

Reggae is pure rythm. I love the horn sections of good reggae.

It can be repetitious. But most of it is fun dance music that makes you move. It is based on the emphasis of the beat structure.

I get on reggae kicks and play it a lot.

Then move to another sound. I binge music big time.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
A little more current era whiteboy reggae…. Rebelution

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Another rock/ska/rap/reggae band I really liked is Sublime. Most of their music has a reggae undertone to it. I know, more watered down white boy reggae but it is what it is.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

First Light, with Carlos Jones.
Released in 1987...doesn't seem possible that it was 30 years ago. 'First Light' and Carlos Jones are local band in Cleveland. In their first decade, they played about 250 dates a year! In May 1984, they opened for the Clash at Public Hall. They still have occasional gigs in the area.
Track list:
1.Reggae Meltdown
2.Tolerate
3.Unity Of Conscience
4.Situation
5.Running
6.Island Time
7.Apartment Living
8.The Light

love this one!

This is a short video clip of First Light (Cleveland) playing 'Where Reggae Comes From' LIVE @ The Grog Shop in Cleveland Heights, OH.

Carlos Jones P.L.U.S. Band - Topic
118 subscribers
Provided to YouTube by The Orchard Enterprises

Where Reggae Comes From · Carlos Jones & The PLUS Band

Leave a Trail

℗ 2009 Little Fish Records

Released on: 2009-08-18

I use to go see First Light often, way back when when I was a teenager. Great band. I-Tal was really good too.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Although reggae can be a political voice for the most part.

It is just feel good music.

Never seen a reggae band perform where the people were not having a good time.

*maybe it's the weed.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I didn't want to start another thread. Just wanted to post this song.

It is a jazz classic and difficult to sing. The singer is Jade MacRae. She is my daughter-in-law.

I think she is terrific on this song. I hope others like it also.

1 member likes this: TTTDawg
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don’t call myself much of a reggae fan, but I love the vibe. It’s so freaking sweet and great music to relax with.
I always liked No Woman No Cry.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Marley was a special talent.

He really took reggae international.

Great song.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Stumbled onto this today on my Pandora station. I really dig it. Great production. Good beat. Good horns. I like the lyrical styling. Well done.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

good one

T
Legend
Legend
T
Lemme Tackle some music for a second.

( Most everything I post has a certain oddity I can't even re read myself many times. So this is an attempt to discuss music in true THROW LONG odditiy fashion.)

There is some music that Explodes in popularity,
Catchy and exciting dance music that Pops onto the scene and is really popular for 6 months.

6 Months and One Day after this Music Breaks onto the scene,
Everybody collectively wakes up and realizes how Stupid and Silly this *#*# is and
dismisses, and mocks it for the next 15 years.

But then,
16 years later you may, hear that silly stuff and appreciate it a whole new way on a different level without the dismissiveness from the music snobs.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I recently spent some time on the Hawaiian islands visiting friends. The islands and reggae go hand in hand. There’s a style of island reggae that has a bit of a different feel to it than the Jamaican sound. Now there’s a bunch of young talent, from all over the country actually, feeding that more island inspired sound.. Slightly Stoopid, The Green, SOJA, Monument, Rebelution… just to name a few.
There’s been one act that I’ve heard over the years on one of my Pandora stations that really caught my ear while I was on vacation… Stick Figure. Doing a little deeper dive it turns out it’s one guy, Scott Woodruff, that can play all the needed instruments, can write great catchy songs, and has a home studio and skills to use it. The guy has turned out 7 albums with a few having made critical acclaim within the world of reggae music. Charting #1on Billboard’s reggae charts.
I’ve spent the past two weeks diving into his catalog finding modern reggae gems along the way.
He’s really found a way to blend ‘today’ into a ‘yesterday’ genre of music. His production quality on the last couple albums has gone through the roof. They’re soundscapes. Great with headphones.

It’s almost that time of year for open windows, active patios, warm sunshine, and cold beers… burn some tree and crank some new music.

This is a really beautifully soundscapes track. It falls on the outer edges of reggae, leaning closer to todays downtempo EDM with vocal tracking. It’s great headphone material.

I could post a ton more of what I consider great tunes by this guy. Hope you find some of it to your liking.

[Linked Image]
3 members like this: GratefulDawg, AZBrown, oobernoober
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is I-Tal still playing in ohio

Joe Thomas #73
B
Legend
Legend
B
For me, reggae is sort of hot and cold. It sounds great when on some Caribbean Island sipping a rum drink, but outside of that it's never grabbed me. For me it is a time and moment music.

I like classical music when we go see the orchestra perform 4-5 times a year, but it not something I am going to pop in to my Bose Wave player.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks Port. Good sound.

I am a reggae fan.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Fire on the Horizon
Paradise
Burn the Night
Sound of the Sea
Shadow
World on Fire
Above the Storm
All for You

…The song list could go on and on. He’s just written a ton of great music.

This is a cool, laidback song by the band The Green. I like a bunch of their stuff but not as much as Stick Figure. (Tribal Seeds is another band worth checking out. More hit and miss, but good.)

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I've heard of the artist, but never listened to the songs you included. Thanks for posting. Good stuff.

I was into some early Steel Pulse but not much else in the genre until my mid 30's when a girlfriend introduced me to Abyssinians.

Great harmonies. I still have one of their records on vinyl.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Play I Some Music

Link Copied to Clipboard