Next Thread
Print Thread
#1939021 04/16/22 10:23 AM
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Ok, many of us have seen a band or person at some venue where we thought they were really good and thought they could become "something" above and beyond where they were at that point. I thought it might be a cool diversion to tell us your experience.

Mine was in 1976 not long after moving to Chattanooga. The wife and I still went out "clubbing" so to speak and went to this place we had heard about that got some good local and regional bands from time to time. This band played a mix of country and a dance music know as shag...a coastal Carolina thing. Good dancing music.

We thought the band was really good and it turns out they were. The band was Alabama who went on to win about every award in country music possible. We didn't know they were from Ft. Payne, Alabama which is a short drive from town. People told us they played there fairly often, but it turns out that was the last time at that bar. They ended up in the arenas and stadiums not long after.

How about you? Any similar stories?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
A
Legend
Legend
A
We saw Alabama, after they got big, in Toledo. At the University of Toledo - I forget what it was called - maybe Centennial Hall? This was in 1996 or 1997. Alabama, some other group, and the opening act was Kenny Chesney.

I'd never heard of him before. But he was pretty good. To put it lightly. Little guy, skinny. Sat at his merch Stand between acts, selling, signing, etc.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
Went to a concert in the late 70's called heavy metal Tuesday with 3 bands that most of us never heard of, and they got no airplay. The radio adds sounded cool to us HS age kids so we paid our 5.50 each for the tickets, not knowing what to expect. There were only about 3-400 people in attendance, as it was a blistering hot August night at the Toledo Sports Arena sauna. We contemplated blowing it off because it was so hot, but those fine young ladies in their halter tops strolling in got that thought out of our heads. First band was a bunch of snotty nosed teenagers called Def Leppard, the next band was the Scorpions and the show ended with Judas Priest. We didn't have the internet back then, and you really couln't check out bands without buying an album if they didn't make radio play lists, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert or the Midnight Special. We didn't want to take a chance losing our hard earned money on an album that might suck, so we did not know what to expect. I still like to rock to JP.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: 3rd_and_20, FATE, Ballpeen
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
My older sister took me to see the Talking Heads at Finney Chapel in Oberlin (mid to late '70s).

The energy seemed weird and frenetic for me at the time. I understood it better later. They went on to some pretty good stuff.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joan Osborne I met her when she was just gigging around Manhattan. She started singing because she went to an open mic thing and the owner said you have to come back. She would join friends of mine on stage and do a song with them. Got to be friends with her on the local music scene. We always talked if we were at the same venue. And then she became famous. Great person, great voice just a natural. She fell into her career just having fun in Manhattan.

Joe Thomas #73
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok so I didnt have high hopes for these guys ( pun intended ). I was hanging out a club. I saw some guys at the table next to me with a bag of pot. They asked if I would like to partake. I said sure and joined their table. They asked if I could roll some joints. I said sure I rolled a half a dozen. We smoked one hung for a while, they gave me another then went on stage. I did not know they were in a band. Their big thing was they were scratching to Zepplin. They were fun and got the crowed going. It was a very early gig of the Beasty Boys.

Joe Thomas #73
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Many years ago (June 1985) at the Youngstown Agora in Youngstown, my sister told me about a band with a bunch of cute guys opening up for Donnie Iris. I said who cares, why should I go. She said that there will be a bunch of girls there.

Man, was she right-the place was over flowing-with probably 75-80 percent girls-never saw so much spandex and halters in my life.
Can't say the band knocked my socks off, but the girls sure did like them. Was a great night

Band was Bon Jovi

Legend
Legend
Peen, I've never seen this band in person, but apparently the best country music being made today is being made in Sweden. I would see this group if they ever came through here.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
They are good. It bugged me for while as I tried to figure that one out.. Looks like Ernest Tubb may have influenced that one. Fairly similar in phrasing and breaks. If you are going for the country sound, ET is a good one to emulate." Walking the Floor Over You" Was a big hit...had to have come out in maybe the mid 40's? Maybe early 50's at the latest.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Had to look it up....1941...earlier then I thought.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Damn, that band is good!

Link Copied to Clipboard