Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
jaybird #1940107 04/22/22 08:39 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by jaybird
So what are the odds we trade Baker next weekend??

I hope we can accomplish that, but I kinda doubt it. I think teams are going to see how the draft plays out. For the record, I don't like any of the qbs in the draft, but I suck at evaluating college qbs just like everyone else does.

I believe that Baker has talked--and acted--himself out of a starting job. He's not good enough to commit to as a starter and who wants to bring him in to compete when they almost know that he will be a problem in the qb room and at least a distraction in the locker room

This sucks, but we may have to wait until the season starts and a starter goes down. I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong, but I think the NFL values Baker far below than what this board and many Brown's fans do.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Such a Browns' thing to do… bring in a criminal to replace a guy they are making statues of the last place he played. Smh.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/22/22 09:59 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I have these same exact thoughts... hoping we can trade him next week.... but think we may have to wait until pre-season or regular season when someone gets hurt...

<><

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Such a Browns' thing to do… bring in a criminal to replace a guy they are making statues of the last place he played. Smh.

They give everyone who wins a Heisman a statue.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
Legend
Legend

Last I check there were no criminal charges brought again Watson... and there are several QBs that got a statue in college that did not pan out in the NFL...

<><

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oddly enough and ironically , the last place he played made a statue of him trying to elude the cops

Oddly enough, the last place he played made a statue of him trying to elude the cops. What a weird thing for the university to honor.
naughtydevil angel

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

Looks like the bad guy in Terminator 2.

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
jaybird #1940135 04/22/22 11:04 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jaybird

Last I check there were no criminal charges brought again Watson... and there are several QBs that got a statue in college that did not pan out in the NFL...

True, I should have said guy with 22 active lawsuits for sexual misconduct, or whatever the specific charges are… better? I think it sounds worse, but you are 100% correct on him not being charged.

O
Legend
Legend
O
And for the record, I'm not bitter we replaced Baker, I just hate the way the Browns did this and did Baker. But I am shocked with the circumstances and salary of the new guy. Watson comes out of this at least looking like he did nothing wrong, I'm fine with him. Anything else is a decision for that time.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/22/22 11:10 PM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
And for the record, I'm not bitter we replaced Baker, I just hate the way the Browns did this and did Baker. But I am shocked with the circumstances and salary of the new guy. Watson comes out of this at least looking like he did nothing wrong, I'm fine with him. Anything else is a decision for that time.

But did we do anything wrong?

The things I have read was we told Bakers agent that we were behind Baker and would only explore options if a premium QB became available.

One did, and we did. And when you get down to it, we didn't make the offer that landed Watson until after Baker drew his line in the sand. The Browns did exactly what they said they might do.

I get why Baker didn't like that, but we didn't do him dirty.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I don't really get these statements from Baker and his fan base about how the Browns did him dirty. His contract is fully guaranteed. What about guys like Landry? We cut him because we don't want to pay him what we promised him. That sounds more "dirty" than Baker's situation. Furthermore, all kinds of guys are done dirty and no one cares. Greats like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Ronnie Lott, Tim Brown, Peyton Manning, etc were discarded like pieces of trash. Only Baker and his fans whine about it even though he is getting his money. And it's ironic that Baker is whining about how he was disrespected when he has made terrible comments about others in the past. My sig is what he said about Duke Johnson and then he acted like Hue was a traitor for taking a job w/the Bengals after the latter was fired. Flash forward a few later and Baker is asking to be traded and talking about how unfair things are. Pffftttttt......what a hypocrite.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Andrew Berry: I think we can all understand how Baker Mayfield feels

Posted by Myles Simmons on April 22, 2022, 1:24 PM EDT
PFT

“I think I’ve touched on this previously, that we were transparent with our intentions with [Mayfield’s] reps,” Berry said. “Now, that being said, I think we can all understand how Baker feels. And sometimes things in the NFL — whether it’s team-related, coach-related, player-related — they may not work out. And Baker’s a competitive and driven young man who’s had success as a quarterback and will continue to have success as a quarterback. So, definitely understand it.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Milk Man #1940160 04/23/22 08:50 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Looks like the bad guy in Terminator 2.

LMAO...100%

I didn't know Robert Patrick played at Oklahoma!

M
Legend
Legend
M

It's a business. Baker is getting $18m guaranteed. He'll get other opportunities. I think in the grand scheme of things Baker has hurt the Baker brand more than anyone in the Browns FO. So, while I still have reservations over the DW legal issues, while the fan part of me still remembers hoping Baker was going to be the guy ... I don't feel sorry for Baker in any respect.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Context matters...

Here's what the supreme leader...Mr Jarvis Landry himself...had to say about the issue...way back then...https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2846419-browns-jarvis-landry-duke-johnsons-trade-request-wont-be-distraction-at-camp

Whaddayaknow...an actual NFL football player...on the same team as the disgruntled player...states that the issue is (was) not a big deal. His actual words...not inferences twisted like statistics.

Hue Jackson was a traitor...a back-stabber...and an embarrassment as an NFL head coach. That pariah managed (1) win in two years...actual went 1-32-1 before being forced to play Baker...who then WON his first game. He even attempted to hire Art Briles (https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ks-outrage-stemming-from-baylor-scandal/) as an OC. The guy hasn't mad e a sound football decision in...who-knows-when?

Baker Mayfield had/has issues at playing QB. But it's hard work to have (re-hash) those details because...well...context matters.

mgh888 #1940166 04/23/22 09:49 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
It's a business. Baker is getting $18m guaranteed. He'll get other opportunities. I think in the grand scheme of things Baker has hurt the Baker brand more than anyone in the Browns FO. So, while I still have reservations over the DW legal issues, while the fan part of me still remembers hoping Baker was going to be the guy ... I don't feel sorry for Baker in any respect.

If somebody hurt my feelings and said, "here's 18mil to ease the pain", I'd be good with it.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Southwestdawg
R
Legend
Legend
R
I didn't read the article you posted about what Jarvis said, but after three years Duke Johnson chose to go on social media and call out his former quarterback for what he said three years ago. If it wasn't a big deal to Duke Johnson or if he didn't harbor some ill will, I doubt he does that. So it was a big deal to someone.

For me, I don't care about that specific example. My suspicion is Baker is a good leader when things are going well and a poor leader when things are not. He's demonstrated a lot of immaturity and lack of awareness over the last year. I'm sure not getting the contract last year, then getting hurt, and playing poorly weighed on him heavily and that drove a lot of his demeanor. But my opinion is a more mature person and a better leader could have handled that better.

I don't want to know who you are when things are roses and butterflies. I want to know who you are when the bullets are flying.

jfanent #1940169 04/23/22 09:58 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by jfanent
If somebody hurt my feelings and said, "here's 18mil to ease the pain", I'd be good with it.

I ran this exact scenario by my bosses last week. I was not offered 18m.

1 member likes this: FATE
mgh888 #1940170 04/23/22 10:00 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I agree with both you and OCD. My only slight disagreement was in 'Baker harming Baker'. He's home re-habbing from surgery...all off-season up to that point he was told he's the starter...he gets word that the Browns are looking at an upgrade...writes a 'thank you' letter to the fans...then is told he's still the guy after DW says "nope"...and 24-48 hours later the FO signs DW. Who wouldn't get salty about that string of events?

He's not the QB of my team anymore...but these debates are going to have a long life just like the Couch debates did for so long.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I doubt the debates will have much of a shelf life if Watson plays well and the Browns are in the playoffs yearly.

Also, I think Baker should spend less time being salty at the Browns and more time reflecting on why the Browns went after Watson to begin with.

Rishuz #1940178 04/23/22 10:17 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I didn't read the article you posted about what Jarvis said, but after three years Duke Johnson chose to go on social media and call out his former quarterback for what he said three years ago. If it wasn't a big deal to Duke Johnson or if he didn't harbor some ill will, I doubt he does that. So it was a big deal to someone.

For me, I don't care about that specific example. My suspicion is Baker is a good leader when things are going well and a poor leader when things are not. He's demonstrated a lot of immaturity and lack of awareness over the last year. I'm sure not getting the contract last year, then getting hurt, and playing poorly weighed on him heavily and that drove a lot of his demeanor. But my opinion is a more mature person and a better leader could have handled that better.

I don't want to know who you are when things are roses and butterflies. I want to know who you are when the bullets are flying.

I don't have an issue with anything you said there ^. Baker may be exactly the type of leader you mentioned. Who really knows? I'll add that in looking back on the Duke thing, two very interesting things become evident. #1 Duke was interviewed on the practice field after the first day of mandatory mini-camp...perhaps that wasn't the best time to air (or re-air) his complaint. #2 while listening to his interview it wouldn't take much to envision Baker saying the exact same things.

Rishuz #1940179 04/23/22 10:23 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I doubt the debates will have much of a shelf life if Watson plays well and the Browns are in the playoffs yearly.

Also, I think Baker should spend less time being salty at the Browns and more time reflecting on why the Browns went after Watson to begin with.

Agreed. My friend said just yesterday afternoon that if we start out 2-4 (or worse)...this is going to end poorly. If we start out 5-1 (or better) all will be well.

I think Baker has plenty of time to be salty AND to reflect. If he were my son, I would hate how the team handled this situation...and would advise him to say little-to-nothing in the media...as difficult as that may be.

R
Legend
Legend
R
If he were my son, I'd tell him to work harder and play better. I think one of Baker's biggest issues is he is surrounded by a bunch of enablers and people who feel sorry for him. Yes, this is speculation on my part, but I think his lack of awareness and maturity is being exacerbated and fed by his inner circle.

Rishuz #1940191 04/23/22 10:47 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T

I doubt the debates will have much merit or show a shelf life when/if Watson plays lousy, (or is constantly injured) and the Browns miss the playoffs yearly, (the next 4 years.)
Also I think the Browns should spend less time excusing themselves for betraying their player and more time reflecting on why they couldn't win with Baker in the first place, (orr, accept that they were winning, and build on the wins toward more wins with Baker.)

The Bottom line is, Baker is/was the starter, and Watson, shouldn't be given it, unless he earns it, and earns it in Berea/Cleveland!

That is one of the things the Browns have nearly not done at all since the return in 1999, and that is make players earn a playing spot by beating the current player, and do so in Berea/Cleveland. That is, training camp, or during the season.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Rishuz #1940196 04/23/22 11:13 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
If he were my son, I'd tell him to work harder and play better. I think one of Baker's biggest issues is he is surrounded by a bunch of enablers and people who feel sorry for him. Yes, this is speculation on my part, but I think his lack of awareness and maturity is being exacerbated and fed by his inner circle.

100% speculation

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

I agree with both you and OCD. My only slight disagreement was in 'Baker harming Baker'. He's home re-habbing from surgery...all off-season up to that point he was told he's the starter...he gets word that the Browns are looking at an upgrade...writes a 'thank you' letter to the fans...then is told he's still the guy after DW says "nope"...and 24-48 hours later the FO signs DW. Who wouldn't get salty about that string of events?

He's not the QB of my team anymore...but these debates are going to have a long life just like the Couch debates did for so long.

That's fair. I was thinking specifically about the podcast where he talked about being disrespected and joining a team where players were happy making a check and he didn't know how to motivate that type of Ayer. To be honest I've not listened to the podcast and I probably bought into some of the noise on here. Still wish he'd just shut up and put his head down. But those two comments were the worst of the podcast or else there'd be more noise about it... And they really didn't amount to much.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Rishuz #1940209 04/23/22 11:38 AM
Legend
Legend

Bro. You've got to sprint into the office, slide into a crouch, start taking pictures like he's a rock star. Bounce up and start shaking your head in a very pronounced fashion, offer up a high-five. They'll be much more receptive.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Rishuz #1940254 04/23/22 03:39 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B

maybe 18 minutes to gather your things.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Report: 1 NFL Team “Very Much In The Mix” For Baker Mayfield Trade
Andrew McCarty - 5h ago

Over the past few weeks, the trade market around Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield has been eerily silent.

Earlier this offseason, the Browns traded for star quarterback Deshaun Watson. That spelled the end of Mayfield’s career with the team, just a few years after being the No. 1 overall pick.

The problem for the Browns is that Mayfield’s trade market evaporated as soon as the team traded for Watson. Opposing teams know Cleveland needs to trade Mayfield and aren’t lining up to give the Browns what they want.

However, Mayfield’s market might be heating up as the NFL Draft nears. According to a report from Matt Lombardo of FanSided, the Seattle Seahawks are interested.

From FanSided:

“The Seahawks are very much in the mix for Baker [Mayfield],” an NFL personnel executive tells FanSided, on the condition of anonymity to speak freely about another team.

According to the executive, there have been backchannel communications between several teams and the Browns regarding Mayfield as the NFL Draft approaches.

Seattle made one of the biggest trades of the offseason, sending star quarterback Russell Wilson to the Denver Broncos. The Seahawks landed former second-round pick Drew Lock in the trade, but it’s unclear if they view him as a starting quarterback.

With Lock and veteran Geno Smith on the roster, the Seahawks could choose to trade for Mayfield to get a bonafide starter.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
let's hope so this saga can end.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Browns reportedly 'highly motivated' to trade Baker Mayfield 'before or around draft time'
Zac Wassink, Yardbarker - Yesterday 6:13 PM

The Cleveland Browns continue to have a problem worth $18.858 million of fully guaranteed salary for the 2022 NFL season attached to their roster following their acquisition of star quarterback Deshaun Watson last month. 2018 first overall draft pick Baker Mayfield is still on the depth chart, and there is currently zero indication any team will offer Cleveland anything of note for the 27-year-old before the draft gets underway this coming Thursday night.

According to Erin Walsh of Bleacher Report, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler explained during a Friday appearance on "SportsCenter" the Browns want to jettison Mayfield sooner rather than later.

"The Browns are highly motivated to get this done, preferably before or around draft time," Fowler said. "They've got six days to create that urgency; they want that $19 million guaranteed money off their salary-cap books. The best way to do that is to trade him. If they cut him, they still have to eat a lot or all of that money. Teams know that, so they're sort of waiting in the weeds here. There just really hasn't been a strong market."

Perhaps the biggest problem for Cleveland less than a full week before the draft opens is that teams previously linked with Mayfield — the Seattle Seahawks, Carolina Panthers, Pittsburgh Steelers and even the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, among others — know he's surplus to requirements in Northeast Ohio and, thus, don't have to be in any rush to land his services. Every day Mayfield is with the Browns makes it more likely he'll be cut, especially since they have veteran journeyman Jacoby Brissett ready to start if Watson is suspended regarding the many allegations of sexual misconduct that have hovered over his status since last year.

The truth remains Cleveland may have to package Mayfield with a draft pick to get him off the books this spring or summer.

2 members like this: PitDAWG, GratefulDawg
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 04/23/22 07:29 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
That was cool.

Did all those people come out just for that? If so, that's impressive.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Baker bashing continues yet the Browns are still sitting on Mayfield's future. Watson is the new Browns QB, the way they've handled Mayfield is amateur.

Pursuing and signing Watson without a plan in place for what to do with Mayfield was amateur.

Mayfield is currently entering the final year of his contract which is guaranteed and the rest of the league knows he won’t be re-signed before a trade. That leaves the Browns, who are overvaluing him anyway, in a precarious position.

Compounding matters, Mayfield is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery and may not be ready until training camp. That’s certainly something that is giving teams some pause.

Ultimately, the Browns could cut Mayfield outright and take the financial hit, but they’re determined to get something of value in return. We’ll see how that plays out, but Berry may want to stop holding his breath.

"Perhaps the biggest problem for Cleveland less than a full week before the draft opens is that teams previously linked with Mayfield — the Seattle Seahawks, Carolina Panthers, Pittsburgh Steelers and even the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, among others — know he's surplus to requirements in Northeast Ohio and, thus, don't have to be in any rush to land his services. Every day Mayfield is with the Browns makes it more likely he'll be cut, especially since they have veteran journeyman Jacoby Brissett ready to start if Watson is suspended regarding the many allegations of sexual misconduct that have hovered over his status since last year."

How long the Browns sit on Mayfield's future is anyone's guess but it's certainly not a good look.

Rishuz #1940282 04/23/22 10:03 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
That was cool.

Did all those people come out just for that? If so, that's impressive.

It was their spring game but they were there for Baker.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Pursuing and signing Watson without a plan in place for what to do with Mayfield was amateur.

The FO had a plan in place. Improve the QB position at all costs.

We fans have stated for years you can't win without a franchise QB. We said you can't win consistently without a top 10 QB.

In this FO's eyes, they believe they have upgraded the talent at the QB position.

We can debate until the cows come home whether Baker is more or less talented than Watson. We can equally debate the moral aspects regarding the player.

The bottom line, this FO believes they upgraded the key position of this football team. They staked their careers on this decision.

cfrs15 #1940285 04/23/22 10:40 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
He seems strangely at peace with his current situation.

Something tells me he'd be ok if he never played football again. I don't think the NFL was what he thought it was going to be.

Rishuz #1940286 04/23/22 11:02 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
He seems strangely at peace with his current situation.

Something tells me he'd be ok if he never played football again. I don't think the NFL was what he thought it was going to be.

Worst case scenario is he makes millions in college broadcasting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I wish Baker was that tall !!

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Bake Show

Link Copied to Clipboard