O
Legend
Legend
O
From NFL.com Draft Tracker Bios

Prospect Grade
Average Backup Or Special-Teamer

Overview

Long, finesse cornerback with traits and talent to compete in full-field, press-man coverage. Emerson has patient feet to maintain positioning against the release and uses length and positioning for catch disruptions. He's indecisive in his angles to the throw, missing out on interception opportunities. His run support issues will most certainly hurt his draft standing with some teams. Emerson isn't well-rounded but he has enough cover talent to make a team.

Strengths

Very good size and length.
Patient but ready feet for press match.
Uncoils relatively stiff punch to slow the release.
Properly balanced between combination routes from zone.
Closes and crowds when the route tracks deep.
Quick to read and trigger when release kicks in.
Easily opens hips and swings into transition.
Punt and kick cover talent.

Weaknesses

Too content to bat it away instead of taking it away.
Rarely charges aggressively into passing lane.
Only one career interception.
Below average at tracking and playing the ball.
Not very competitive taking on blocks.
Premature dives at ankles.
Searches for arm-tackle opportunities.

Now I really don't get the pick.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/29/22 10:10 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Gotta grab Dean

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
Lol welp

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Jack Duffin might be Andrew Berry’s burner account.

And you might be Depo's. LOL, just joking, but man, you are an excuse maker. There were some excellent players available at 44.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Jack Duffin might be Andrew Berry’s burner account.

And you might be Depo's. LOL, just joking, but man, you are an excuse maker. There were some excellent players available at 44.

I don’t think I said anything one way or another. Just trying to provide an explanation for what the team is thinking.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It was more about the this draft is weak comment and acquiring more picks. Not a big deal. At this point, it's all just opinions and speculation. Passing on Ojabo and even Skyy Moore might come back to haunt us. Then, the Ravens got Jones. They kick our ass in the draft almost every year.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Not a big fan of the trade down or this pick that resulted from the trade down.

Not one little bit.

As it turned out out - some of the players I might have been ok with at #44 were available here ... but CB seems like a luxury pick this year, and CB seems like a bad choice vs some of the other choices available, even if this is really a Safety.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
CB is maybe the last position I’d expect us to take haha

Berry has demonstrated he drafts ahead of the curve. Both Greedy and AJ Green have expiring contracts, and it is doubtful we can sign both of them. Enter Emerson.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.......that's a reach explanation, peen.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

My guess is that this pick sets up a player-for-player trade of Greedy.

B
Legend
Legend
B
LOL.......that's a reach explanation, peen.

I don't think so. I didn't get in to the part where he is a good player. It seems that every year 1-2 of our starting conners miss some time. He was probably our highest rated player on the board at that time. I mean, by conventional wisdom, corner wasn't a "need"

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
CB is maybe the last position I’d expect us to take haha

Berry has demonstrated he drafts ahead of the curve. Both Greedy and AJ Green have expiring contracts, and it is doubtful we can sign both of them. Enter Emerson.

Hill and Greedy, Green will be a RFA.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not saying this in a mean way to anyone. However, if a team is drafting for a need, it would make more sense to draft a player who plays a position where you have an immediate need rather than drafting a player who might fit a future need. For example, we have needs at Edge, DT, and WR this year. Corner might be a need next year.

Who knows, Emerson might turn out to be a great player and Berry will look like a genius.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
j/c

My guess is that this pick sets up a player-for-player trade of Greedy.

Berry values corners above basically position besides QB. This pick is about creating depth at an important position that sometimes has four players on the field at once.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Kind of a rare find, especially in the 3rd round of the draft..

Emerson is actually strong in fundamentals and his tackling technique is outstanding.

He has size and strength and actually looks like he enjoys playing a physical game.

While the Browns drafted Emerson as a CB, it looks to me like he could step in and play Safety.

Played in SEC against good competition in college which should help his transition to the Pro level.

Pro Day Results:
4.48 4.52
32" vert
10.4 broad
4.14 20 yard shuttle
6.89 3 cone
17 reps bench

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

The kid has a huge wingspan of 79 1/2" (6'7 1/2").

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think this season he will see the field mostly on ST and as a safety.

Greedy and Hill are on the last year of their contract. Harrison is on a 1 year contract.
None are likely on the roster next season.
We won't be able to sign a lot of free agents next off season unless the NFL significantly increases the salary cap.
Has Greedy done anything to warrant a 2nd contract? - he either signs a low contract or plays somewhere else next season.

Any chance we release Hill?
I didn't do any analysis of his play last season but it seems as if he was either injured or getting flagged.
How much of a cap savings would we get if we released him?

Last edited by Jester; 04/30/22 11:39 AM.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Jester
I think this season he will see the field mostly on ST and as a safety.

Greedy and Hill are on the last year of their contract. Harrison is on a 1 year contract.
None are likely on the roster next season.
We won't be able to sign a lot of free agents next off season unless the NFL significantly increases the salary cap.
Has Greedy done anything to warrant a 2nd contract? - he either signs a low contract or plays somewhere else next season.

Any chance we release Hill?
I didn't do any analysis of his play last season but it seems as if he was either injured or getting flagged.
How much of a cap savings would we get if we released him?

$3,750,000 dead cap w/ years 2023, and 2024 being voided.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2 questions on that:

1, Is that considered a lot of dead money?
2, How much would we save?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2 questions on that:

2, How much would we
[quote=Jester]2 questions on that:

2, How much would we save?

Not really ... it's about the same dead cap that we rolled over for Clowney. The dead $ is already figured in the contract.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/30/22 12:21 PM.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think they got about what could be expected at that pick. He will never be an NFL cover corner on the edges. He lacks the speed. Those type of CB's are always gone well before this. As a slot corner he may work out. As has been said he could be converted to safety which seems to make the most sense to me. But given those parameters there were players available at positions of immediate need who had similar limitations. As with many I'm not a fan of the trade because I think they could have gotten a starter #44. But they got two more picks in the 4th and if they come away with the punter and kicker it may make this deal look better. I feel letting it all play out seems best.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Is he a corner or safety?

His numbers say safety.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bugs
Is he a corner or safety?

His numbers say safety.

I think that he is a CB.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not saying this in a mean way to anyone. However, if a team is drafting for a need, it would make more sense to draft a player who plays a position where you have an immediate need rather than drafting a player who might fit a future need. For example, we have needs at Edge, DT, and WR this year. Corner might be a need next year.

Who knows, Emerson might turn out to be a great player and Berry will look like a genius.

Right. And the guy may have been the highest on our board at that point..I wasn't suggesting it was a need pick for next year. I was pointing out the need slant for those who do think needs.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

This is definitely my least favorite pick here ... he has really slow recovery speed for a CB.

[Linked Image]

T
Legend
Legend
T

Has Greedy done anything to 'NOT' warrant a 2nd contract?

I hope he signs a regular contract and plays here next season.
Keeping the team together has always been important. There is nothing wrong with Greedys' playing ability when healthy.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Other than Greedy being drafted by Dorsey, I don't get the hate for him. Dude has been injured and struggled at times, but he is a very good corner w/tremendous physical gifts and I believe will continue to progress. I hope the FO won't throw him out w/the trash just because they didn't draft him. That would be a mistake in my opinion.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
j/c:

Other than Greedy being drafted by Dorsey, I don't get the hate for him. Dude has been injured and struggled at times, but he is a very good corner w/tremendous physical gifts and I believe will continue to progress. I hope the FO won't throw him out w/the trash just because they didn't draft him. That would be a mistake in my opinion.

They've kept him around for two years now. They've also kept a bunch of other guys that Dorsey drafted or traded for and signed them to extensions (Ward, Chubb, Teller). I don't see why they would start purging Dorsey guys now.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

They've kept him around for two years now. They've also kept a bunch of other guys that Dorsey drafted or traded for and signed them to extensions (Ward, Chubb, Teller). I don't see why they would start purging Dorsey guys now.

You are correct. Maybe my subconscious was speaking to the fan's perspective. I actually really like the job Berry has done as a whole. And you are right that he has kept Dorsey's guys. Hell, you can include Hunt in that category. I probably misspoke.

Back to Greedy for a moment. I don't think he has lived up to his hype, but the guy has some things going for him that are hard to duplicate. I don't profess to know a damn thing about how much to pay him, but I would be reluctant to let him walk. I didn't like the pick at first because of his tackling issues in college, but that hasn't shown up in the pros. I think the injury thing in college had something to do w/those concerns. I sure as hell don't want to see him sign w/the Bengals or Steelers.

One last thing...........I like how you debated my post w/out resorting to insults or character assassination. We need more of this!!!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

His measurables look a lot like Richard Sherman's. That's probably not who he is yet, but that's the aspiration. He's young and didn't have a Myles Garrett providing pressure for him at Mississippi State.

Hopefully we've finally got a staff that can develop players.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, he looks to be a zone coverage corner who won't be effective in man. We run a ton of Cover 3 and Quarters, so he may be a good fit. Hopefully, we don't change coaching staffs yet again.

Legend
Legend
Pick 44 became picks:

68 - Emerson CB, Hill was then traded.

78 - Alex Wright DE, A player they like at a position of need.

108 - Perrion Winfrey, DT. A player many felt was a second rounder at a position of need.

When we see how these players play then IMO we can judge the trade.

1 member likes this: mgh888
T
Legend
Legend
T
Weaknesses list, ouch, ouch, and oh my Ouch!

Martin Emmerson the Cornerback in 30 seconds. ( TL- any CB in 30 seconds)

Fr. solo tackles 17, passes defenses 1, ratio= 17 lower is better.
Soph. Solo tackles 44, passes defensed 11, ratio 4.0 (pretty good)
Junior solo tackles 31, passes defensed 3, ratio 10.3 (17, 4.0, and 10.3, I don't remember any so raising and lowering like that)

Wildly inconsistent.

Sacks, tackles for loss, interceptions, touchdowns, forced fumbles and fumble recoveries, and interception return yards all tell their own stories, but.

( And if you sit at a table and someone serves you a piece of chocolate cake, it doesn't take you more than 30 seconds to decide if that is any good.) Look too long and begin to lose the big picture.

(based on the theory that any bad corner being picked on by Qbs' has a ton of solo tackles where he watches the offense make a catch and then walks the player out of bounds.)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
Pick 44 became picks:

68 - Emerson CB, Hill was then traded.

78 - Alex Wright DE, A player they like at a position of need.

108 - Perrion Winfrey, DT. A player many felt was a second rounder at a position of need.

When we see how these players play then IMO we can judge the trade.

We already had pick #78 ... pick #124 was the other pick which turned into the kicker, but we traded pick #118 so that selection was a wash.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Good tape breakdown.

However, right now I not sure how the Browns will use him.

I could be wrong but IMO Greedy, Ward, and Newsome are boundry corners who can play press man.

I see Emerson in the slot playing physical jam press man. His 10 yard split was 1.52's. That is pretty good 74% .

He can use his physicality and size to jam slot receivers at the line. This will keep him in the area of the field where he will not be responsible for vertical routes against X receivers.

I don't believe the Browns will use him as boundary corner. After they drafted him they traded Troy Hill.

So, as with the other picks like Wright it is about scheme fit.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
Good tape breakdown.

However, right now I not sure how the Browns will use him.

I could be wrong but IMO Greedy, Ward, and Newsome are boundry corners who can play press man.

I see Emerson in the slot playing physical jam press man. His 10 yard split was 1.52's. That is pretty good 74% .

He can use his physicality and size to jam slot receivers at the line. This will keep him in the area of the field where he will not be responsible for vertical routes against X receivers.

I don't believe the Browns will use him as boundary corner. After they drafted him they traded Troy Hill.

So, as with the other picks like Wright it is about scheme fit.

I just don't see him having good enough closing speed to cover the slot ... and I hope he proves me wrong.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Martin Emerson, corner, selected with the 68th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard