Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's 3 Sooners on day 3 for those who are keeping count.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M
Matt Miller
@nfldraftscout
Isaiah Thomas is one of those Round 7 players I could see carving out a nice role as a situational pass rusher.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1520516555515187200

Legend
Legend
Lol three OU guys

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was watching some of his highlights. Guy makes some plays. Seems like he is football smart.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't follow a lot of OU football. But prior to the draft, I did give some attention to both Winfrey and Thomas. Winfrey supposedly expressed some frustration about how he was used at OU. I didn't hear the same thing from Thomas but the analyst say that he was rotated for quite a bit which prevented him from getting into a sustained rhythm. I don't know how true any of that is.

I realize that you have to view highlight videos with some skepticism but I did see some pass rush reps where he displayed decent bend, arm extension, a good rip move, and some short-area quickness. I think there are some pieces to work with here.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

A lot of people were mentioning Thomas a lot in rounds 3-4...So we got a steal by nabbing him so late in the draft. I think (2) factors of him sliding down so much, was his arrest for petty larceny within the past year, and from what I gathered he had the worst broken tackle rate of all DE guys...However that can be improved on, and from what I gathered with his arrest that he was hanging with the wrong friends (and oddly enough is a high character and a comes from a strong bonded family) But a very nice pick that late in the draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn't see him win off the edge a ton in the games I watched (TCU, WV) , but he was used inside a lot and was fairly disruptive. Showed a nice motor. Oklahoma does seem to run some 3-4 looks and 2-4-5 which is probably not the best fit for Winfrey or Thomas. It does add to their experience/versatility. Somewhat inconsistent off the snap. I was going to gripe that he often seemed a tick late off the ball, but then on some plays he'd flash great anticipation. I don't know enough about Oklahoma's scheme to know what he was asked to do assignment-wise on a play to play basis. Could improve as a finisher as mentioned. Seems worth the late round flier.

Also came across this interview which was pretty interesting:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you. I really appreciate the knowledge.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am intrigued by Isaiah Thomas and what his potential could be as a rotation peace at the big DE after playing mostly (out of postion) at DT in College.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Me too. That is why I asked Bull to break him down on another thread. Didn't want to hijack that one. I haven't seen much of him, but I did see some things I really like. He seems very instinctive to me. He doesn't make dumb moves. Gets the punch, reads the blocker, and makes the correct move off of what the blocker does. Goes inside and out. Takes nice angles to the pocket. I like those traits. Not sure if he has the physical ability or if he repeats those traits time after time, but I liked the little I saw.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do know this ... and that is if we do resign Clowney, our DE room is going to go from having just MG and Chase Winovich to an embarrassment of riches, but it would be nice to be able keep a player like Thomas around even if it's only on the practice squad. Winovich is a FA after this season, and I doubt that Clowney gets a multi year contract even if he does resign, then there is the other FA DEs' that we brought in on one year deals too, leaving us with MG^ and Alex Wright under contract for 2023.

Having Isaiah Thomas under (a cheap) contract too would be a nice bonus with some other big cap hits kicking in.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

3 members like this: OldColdDawg, AZBrown, mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wore #58 when I played because I was a big Derrick Thomas fan. I hope this guy pans out so Thomas #58 jerseys are a Browns' thing. Don't want to jinx him like my OBJ jerseys seemed to, so I'll probably wait awhile, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
I wore #58 when I played because I was a big Derrick Thomas fan. I hope this guy pans out so Thomas #58 jerseys are a Browns' thing. Don't want to jinx him like my OBJ jerseys seemed to, so I'll probably wait awhile, though.

Yeah...I havn't been big on jersey's. I bought a Courtney Brown his rookie season...so much for that.

I finally broke down and bought a Mayfield Jersey at the home opener figuring that was a "safe" buy...lol

Finally the last game I went to the team shop and bought a #32 Jim Brown authentic jersey. The NFL can't strip him of his stats and kick him out of the HOF, can they?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I have never bought a jersey. I have hats, and a couple jackets. My prize Brown's possession is a Jim Brown signed helmet.

I am seriously considering a JOK jersey. Every year when the draft comes around. I pick a player for me. The draft happens and that "my player" always goes to another team. Nobody's fault. It is just the way the draft falls.

I wanted to draft JOK in a big way. And I flipped out when it actually happened. I am a huge fan of his. Recently I saw a breakdown of most of his plays in college and with the Browns. It was a confirmation. I enjoy watching him play. In fact I have never seen a linebacker play like him. So eventually I may get his jersey.

Isaiah Thomas and some of the UDFA are interesting players. Ya never know there could be a gem there.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The only player jersey I've bought since the team has returned is Joe Thomas. I've very happy with that purchase.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Joe proved to be more than just a great player.

He is a Brown.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The only player jersey I've bought since the team has returned is Joe Thomas. I've very happy with that purchase.

My son bought me #73 for my birthday, JTs' final season ... I was in need of a new jersey too ... for my #57 was pretty much a shop rag.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

Pro Football Focus grades: 77.4 pass rush; 69.6 run defense.

[Linked Image]

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Isaiah Thomas might be a better prospect than the DE the Browns drafted in the 3rd round.

I like both of the defensive players the Browns drafted from Oklahoma. Playing at a top college program like Oklahoma has it's advantages from coaching to training facilities with the best equipment. I look forward to seeing all the rookies prove themselves on the field, in pads against competition such they will face in preseason.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Alex Wright too, but it's not often that I get excited about a seventh round pick ... Isaiah Thomas could develop into a nice rotational DE, after playing mainly DT at Oklahoma ... and on a side note, how cool is it that the guy that he lined up next to will be playing together for the Browns?
Watching game tapes on Winfrey, it's hard to miss ol number #95/ (now #58 honoring Derrick Thomas.) thumbsup

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not a big fan of Big 12 players as a whole and especially not their defensive players, but maybe these guys work out.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
FL_Dawg, I'm hearing you. I'm reading the reports on Isaiah very average for a DT. It could be pure luck, but if the scout who identified this kid as a potential edge, that speaks volumes about where the Browns are at in the scouting department.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Isaiah Thomas, DE Oklahoma selected No. 223

Link Copied to Clipboard