OP Offline
Legend

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Smfh.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I have a problem with this.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O
You should, so should every woman or teen female in the US.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The private prison system needs inmates. The war machine needs young boys to slaughter. Can’t have them poors controlling their birth rate. Crank out those hopeless kids so the capitalist machines can churn.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: FATE
O
Legend
Legend
O

Well, they been wanting a fight, they are going to get one.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/02/22 10:10 PM.

O
Legend
Legend
O
[Linked Image from images.theconversation.com]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

O
Legend
Legend
O
Christofascism.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I highly doubt this is factual. Dems playing sleight of hand to get us distracted.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

You can finally not have that abortion you never wanted. Way to fight for FrEeDUmB.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Seems like a great opportunity for an underground abortion clinic for thoughs with entrepreneurial spirit!

It'll be like the Jane's Clinic in Chicago during the 70s.

I expect this to be a big business. Abortions will not stop, it's akin to the war on the drugs.

If/once overturned, it just created a niche market

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok, so where is the limit? Surgical procedures? Morning after pills? Contraceptive pills? Any contraceptive device?

And if that rationale (state determination) can be applied, same sex marriage and fender equality are also on the table.

As we learned from the NRA, slippery slopes can get pretty steep.

Unintended consequences will happen for a while.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I can’t disagree more. It matters to men as well.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I can’t disagree more. It matters to men as well.

I stand corrected and I agree.

Legend
Legend
What will you do? Step over the bodies as you march to victory?

The dems have been stepping over the body's for for 49 years while claiming "those are not bodies" Those are not little hands, and feet we see.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from dairyfarmersofcanada.ca]

Last edited by GMdawg; 05/03/22 06:21 AM.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

How Americans Really Feel About Abortion: The Sometimes Surprising Poll Results As Supreme Court Weighs Overturning Roe V. Wade

Alison DurkeeForbes Staff
link

TOPLINE The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments Wednesday in a case that could roll back abortion rights nationwide and overturn Roe v. Wade, and while a review of national polls shows many Americans consistently split between identifying between the partisan labels “pro-choice” or “pro-life,” a clear majority supports keeping the procedure legal—though that support drops quickly depending on the circumstance.

KEY FACTS
Broad support for abortion rights: Gallup polls show Americans’ support for abortion in all or most cases at 80% in May, only sightly higher than in 1975 (76%), and the Pew Research Center finds 59% of adults believe abortion should be legal, compared to 60% in 1995—though there has been fluctuation, with support dropping to a low of 47% in 2009.

The share of Americans in Gallup’s poll who say abortion is morally acceptable reached a record high of 47% in May, up from a low of 36% in 2009, and a Quinnipiac poll found support for abortion being legal in all or most cases reached a near-record high in September with 63% support.

Steady support for Roe: Support for the Supreme Court’s abortion precedent in Roe v. Wade is similar, with a November Quinnipiac poll finding that 63% agree with the court’s ruling; and 60% of respondents in a November Washington Post/ABC News poll and 58% of May Gallup respondents want the court to uphold the decision.

Strongest support for abortion—within limits: An Associated Press/NORC poll in June found 87% support abortion when the woman’s life is in danger, 84% support exceptions in the case of rape or incest, and 74% support abortion if the child would be born with a life-threatening illness.

When abortion support drops: The further into the pregnancy, with AP/NORC finding 61% believe abortion should be legal during the first trimester, but only 34% in the second trimester and 19% in the third.

Partisan split—but not in all cases: Democrats are statistically far more likely to support abortion rights than Republicans, with Quinnipiac finding in September that only 39% of Republicans believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases versus 89% of Democrats—though 70% and 76% of Republicans support exceptions for rape and incest and when the mother’s life is at risk, respectively.

The religious support abortion rights—except for White evangelicals: Pew found Americans with religious affiliations are far more likely to oppose abortion than the nonreligious (82% of whom believe abortion should be legal), but with the exception of white evangelical Protestants (77% of whom believe abortion should be illegal), a higher share of every religious group polled—white non-evangelicals, Black Protestants and Catholics—favor abortion rights.

Gender split—not as big as you might think: Women are slightly more likely to support abortion than men, with Pew finding 62% of women want abortion to be legal versus 56% of men.

Asian Americans most supportive: Pew’s polling found majorities of every race support abortion being legal, though support was higher among Black (67% believe should be legal) and Asian (68%) respondents than those who are white and Hispanic (57% and 58%, respectively).

Support drops with age: The Pew poll found support for abortion highest among those ages 18-29 (67% believe should be legal), compared with 61% of those 30-49, 53% of those ages 50-64 and 55% of those ages 65 and up.

Support increases with more education: Pew found 68% of college grads want it legalized versus 61% of those with some college and 50% with a high school education or less (the Post/ABC poll found a similar correlation).

Parents less likely to support abortion rights: All In Together’s poll, conducted in September with Lake Research and Emerson College Polling, found 36% of those with children in their house opposed the Texas near-total abortion ban versus 54.9% without kids, and the Post/ABC poll similarly found 58% of parents want the Supreme Court to uphold Roe v. Wade versus 62% of non-parents.

Cities support more: Those in the Northeast are the most supportive of abortion rights, with the Post/ABC finding 71% there want Roe v. Wade to be upheld versus 58% in the Midwest, 53% in the South and 66% in the West, and urban residents are more likely to support Roe v. Wade (with 69% support) than those in suburban or rural areas (56% and 57%, respectively).

Support rises with income level: The Post/ABC poll found 59% of those earning less than $50,000 per year wanting the court to uphold the law versus 62% of those making between $50,000-$100,000 and 65% of those earning more than $100,000.

SURPRISING FACT
While support for whether abortion should be legal has remained relatively stable since 1995, the share of Americans identifying as “pro-choice” or “pro-life” has not. Gallup found 49% of Americans now identify as pro-choice and 47% as pro-life, as compared with 56% and 33% who said the same in 1995, respectively. Though at least a plurality of Americans have always supported abortion being legal in at least some circumstances, more respondents actually identified as pro-life than pro-choice in 2019, 2013, 2012, 2010 and 2009.

TANGENT
Americans’ support for abortion falls behind many other countries, with a May Ipsos poll finding 66% of Americans believe abortion should be permitted in at least some circumstances, versus a global average of 71%. Support for abortion is highest in Sweden (88% support), the Netherlands (85%) and France (81%), while the countries whose abortion views rank lower than the U.S. are Brazil, India, South Africa, Colombia, Mexico, Turkey, Peru and Malaysia.

KEY BACKGROUND
Abortion first became legal nationwide with the Supreme Court’s 1973 ruling in Roe v. Wade, which guaranteed the federal right to an abortion. The court then affirmed that ruling in 2016, when it ruled in Whole Woman’s Health v. Hellerstedt that states cannot enact abortion restrictions that impose an “undue burden” on the procedure. Republican state lawmakers have repeatedly targeted abortion with an eye toward getting the Supreme Court to reconsider its precedent, however, with the pro-abortion rights Guttmacher Institute reporting states have imposed more than 1,300 abortion restrictions since Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973, including more than 100 this year alone. Abortion opponents received several victories this year, as the conservative-leaning Supreme Court decided to take up a challenge to Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban, which directly threatens Roe v. Wade. Texas then imposed the strictest restrictions on abortion in the U.S. since Roe v. Wade when its Senate Bill 8 (SB 8) went into effect on September 1, banning nearly all abortions after six weeks.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR
The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments Wednesday in its Mississippi case, with a ruling likely coming several months later, before the court’s term ends in late June. The case will broadly consider whether abortions can be restricted before the fetus is viable, and Mississippi has explicitly asked the court to overturn Roe v. Wade in its ruling. The court is also still deliberating on whether to allow two lawsuits challenging SB 8, brought by abortion providers and the Biden administration, to move forward in the lower courts, and whether to issue an injunction that would block the law as they do.

FURTHER READING
Public Opinion on Abortion (Pew Research Center)

Abortion Polling (Gallup)

Americans’ Support For Abortion Surges To Near-Record Following Texas Ban (Forbes)

Majority Of Americans Support Abortion, Poll Finds — But Not Later In The Pregnancy (Forbes)

65% Of Americans Want Supreme Court To Reject Texas Abortion Law, Poll Finds As Court Deliberates (Forbes)

Abortion Debate Is Motivating Voters To Vote In 2022, Poll Finds (Forbes)

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
PFFT...

Much a do about nothing.

The Supremes, when considering an upcoming case, write up a paper and pass it around among themselves.

They give opinions and hash things out.

Next, great legal minds from around the world will weigh in with their views.

Science has its input.

The States weigh in too with their thoughts, Courts weigh in with their own views.

This is an early process that happens all the time but means nothing.

This is just another underhanded political ploy to leak out something without substance and fire people up.

1 member likes this: s003apr
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by GMdawg
What will you do? Step over the bodies as you march to victory?

The dems have been stepping over the body's for for 49 years while claiming "those are not bodies" Those are not little hands, and feet we see.

Oh the hands and feet of the unwanted. Oh my, let me clutch my pearls…
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
I highly doubt this is factual. Dems playing sleight of hand to get us distracted.

That could very well be true.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-hope-draft-abortion-opinion-034615105.html Headline: Democrats hope draft abortion opinion will jolt midterm elections

Legend
Legend
Conservatives say,, Don't tell me what to do with my body,, I don't want the vaccine? But hey, let's stop a woman from making her own decisions......Makes perfect sense to me.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
This is not about abortion, its about an attack on the Supreme Court by an insider who leaked a document.
If this is allowed to continue, our Supremes cannot openly negotiate and openly discuss very important Law issues.

Hopefully the person is caught and prosecuted.

The FBI is investigating.

M
Legend
Legend
M
If proven to be true: Proof positive the new appointees under Trump lied to get their positions.

Funny to see supporters celebrate. I can't imagine how those same supporters would lose their ever living minds if half a century of settled law and precedent was undone by a left leaning court that undone in favor of liberal / progressive law. Whether you are against abortion or not - the ends do not justify "any means" and this situation stinks.

With Ginni Thomas peddling lies of a stolen election and dripping poison into her husbands ear. Now this.... more division and hate coming to media source near you soon.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Balony.

We have lived under Left leaning Courts for most of my life! What do you think made Row possible?

M
Legend
Legend
M
60% or more of the US population supports Roe v Wade.

27% of the USA supports overturning Roe V Wade.

A joke of a decision if it proves true.

Legend
Legend
Row will eventually be done away with because the Science that established it has progressed.

World Record For Premature Birth Goes To Alabama Baby Born 19 Weeks Early. Curtis Means, now 16 months old, was awarded the Guinness World Record for youngest surviving premature birth, after only 132 days of gestation. Nov 11, 2021

P
Legend
Legend
P
While I believe those polls are accurate, law is not dependent nor decided based upon popular opinion.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
No - Law is not based on public opinion.

But if you have a supreme court ruling, precedent and settled law ... and it is to be overturned ... one would think public demand for such an action would be a factor on whether there is grounds.

Legend
Legend
1. this is a draft opinion, not an actual overturning, so this is more hype and beating of drums than anything else

2. the draft clearly states "return the issue to elected representatives".... so, be mindful of who you vote for.

On point #2, I find it funny that the draft clearly states that, yet we have a legislator accusing the Court of attempting to legislate from the bench by way of giving back to her the ability to legislate the issue.
It's all showmanship for [m]asses.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: archbolddawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
At which level? Your post seems to indicate that if the decision is up to the States then no big deal. I don't believe that's true.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think public demand plays into any of it. Nor should it. I disagree with Roe vs Wade being overturned and as an individual I have no vested interest either way. My wife and I are beyond the age of having children. Both of our daughters are married and have their own family planning in place. None of the females in my family have ever chosen abortion in my lifetime. So as a matter of personal choice my family has always been pro life. But when we say pro life, we mean pro life. Not pro birth.

That's my biggest issue with overturning Roe vs Wade. If you're really pro life that extends beyond birth. It is evident that what pro lifers really mean is pro birth. They wish to have the power to force a woman into giving birth then abandon all responsibility which comes along with the ramifications of raising and supporting that child after it's born. That's not pro life. Obviously there are women who know they aren't financially able to raise a child. Many women are drug addicts or young teenagers. They lack even the fundamental ability to raise a child.

So if you're going to proclaim yourself as pro life, don't just sit there thumping on a Bible and proclaiming how Christian you are while abandoning those children after you have forced their mothers to bring them into this world.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mgh888
If proven to be true: Proof positive the new appointees under Trump lied to get their positions.

Funny to see supporters celebrate. I can't imagine how those same supporters would lose their ever living minds if half a century of settled law and precedent was undone by a left leaning court that undone in favor of liberal / progressive law. Whether you are against abortion or not - the ends do not justify "any means" and this situation stinks.

With Ginni Thomas peddling lies of a stolen election and dripping poison into her husbands ear. Now this.... more division and hate coming to media source near you soon.

Handful of MAGA nuts on the SC changing laws that only a small percentage want changed over religious values. The Y'alliban Christofascists right shoving their beliefs down the country's throat. Make an anti brown and black immigration ruckus CHECK, trans kids CHECK, Liberal books banned CHECK, women's rights assaulted CHECK,... next up gay rights, anti Jim Crow laws, and other religions.

First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out— because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

- Martin Niemöller

ALL OF YOU ROOTING FOR THIS CRAP COULD LEARN LESSON FROM HISTORY:

MARTIN NIEMĂ–LLER: "FIRST THEY CAME FOR THE SOCIALISTS..."

Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) was a prominent Lutheran pastor in Germany. He emerged as an outspoken public foe of Adolf Hitler and spent the last seven years of Nazi rule in concentration camps. He is perhaps best remembered for his postwar words, “First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out…”

Martin Niemöller was born in the Westphalian town of Lippstadt, Germany, on January 14, 1892. In 1910 he became a cadet in the Imperial German Navy. With the outbreak of World War I in 1914, Niemöller was assigned to a U-Boat, of which he was eventually appointed the commander. Under the stipulations of the armistice of November 11, 1918, that ended hostilities in World War I, Niemöller and other commanders were ordered to turn over their U-Boats to England. Along with many others, Niemöller refused to obey this order, and was, as a consequence, discharged from the Navy.

In 1920, he decided to follow the path of his father and began seminary training at the University of MĂĽnster.

Niemöller enthusiastically welcomed the Third Reich. But a turning point in Niemöller's political sympathies came with a January 1934 meeting of Adolf Hitler, Niemöller, and two prominent Protestant bishops to discuss state pressures on churches. At the meeting it became clear that Niemöller's phone had been tapped by the Gestapo (German Secret State Police). It was also clear that the Pastors Emergency League (PEL), which Niemöller had helped found, was under close state surveillance. Following the meeting, Niemöller would come to see the Nazi state as a dictatorship, one which he would oppose.

The Quotation

Niemöller is perhaps best remembered for the quotation1:

First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out— because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

The quotation stems from Niemöller's lectures during the early postwar period. Different versions of the quotation exist. These can be attributed to the fact that Niemöller spoke extemporaneously and in a number of settings. Much controversy surrounds the content of the poem as it has been printed in varying forms, referring to diverse groups such as Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jews, Trade Unionists, or Communists depending upon the version. Nonetheless his point was that Germans had been complicit through their silence in the Nazi imprisonment, persecution, and murder of millions of people. He felt this was true in particular of the leaders of the Protestant churches (of which the Lutheran church was one denomination).

A Controversial Figure

In the wake of Nazism, Niemöller's prominence as an opposition figure gave him international stature though he remained controversial. Not until 1963, in a West German television interview, did Niemöller acknowledge and make a statement of regret about his own antisemitism.2 He was nonetheless one of the earliest Germans to talk publicly about broader complicity in the Holocaust and guilt for what had happened to the Jews. In his book Über die deutsche Schuld, Not und Hoffnung (published in English as Of Guilt and Hope)—which appeared in January 1946—Niemöller wrote:

"Thus, whenever I chance to meet a Jew known to me before, then, as a Christian, I cannot but tell him: 'Dear Friend, I stand in front of you, but we can not get together, for there is guilt between us. I have sinned and my people has sinned against thy people and against thyself.'"

SOURCE: https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/cont...eller-first-they-came-for-the-socialists

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/03/22 11:39 AM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't think public demand plays into any of it. Nor should it. I disagree with Roe vs Wade being overturned and as an individual I have no vested interest either way. My wife and I are beyond the age of having children. Both of our daughters are married and have their own family planning in place. None of the females in my family have ever chosen abortion in my lifetime. So as a matter of personal choice my family has always been pro life. But when we say pro life, we mean pro life. Not pro birth.

That's my biggest issue with overturning Roe vs Wade. If you're really pro life that extends beyond birth. It is evident that what pro lifers really mean is pro birth. They wish to have the power to force a woman into giving birth then abandon all responsibility which comes along with the ramifications of raising and supporting that child after it's born. That's not pro life. Obviously there are women who know they aren't financially able to raise a child. Many women are drug addicts or young teenagers. They lack even the fundamental ability to raise a child.

So if you're going to proclaim yourself as pro life, don't just sit there thumping on a Bible and proclaiming how Christian you are while abandoning those children after you have forced their mothers to bring them into this world.

But that's your opinion on the Roe v Wade decision.

My comments have nothing to do with that. My comments are based on the concept of how/why a SC that is supposed to be above and removed from politics - overturning precedent and settled law.

One has nothing to do with the other. And yes - the Law is not and should not be based on public opinion.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I personally will never have a need for an abortion, but I back a woman's right to choose and will until I'm dead and gone. This will not end well for the GOP and Trumpian SCOTUS. Biden needs to pack the court ASAP.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really disagree with anything you stated. I will point out however that legal precedent has been reversed many times. In this instance, as we have seen in recent times, the SCOTUS has become little more than a political arm of our two parties. People who run for president use the fact they can overturn laws, uphold laws and pass laws by appointing new members to the SCOTUS. People vote many times based on that very idea and often times based on their religious beliefs or even the lack there of. The infliction of one's religious beliefs on the rest of society is something I avidly oppose. And I am a person who has religious convictions. But it's not for me to inflict those beliefs on others.

Many people believe that we are "a Christian nation". But the fact is having "freedom of religion" and the separation of church and state makes it clear that no religion or the lack of religion makes it so no religious beliefs or any one religions beliefs outweigh any others.

It is also true that abortion is never mentioned in the constitution. So any law concerning abortion is totally left up to interpretation. Objectively since abortion is never mentioned in the constitution I'm not sure why the SCOTUS ever had a say it in one way or the other. Which is the point I think they are trying to make. I can see how one may make the argument it would fall under the guideline of equal justice under the law. But that would be a hard case to make.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
1. this is a draft opinion, not an actual overturning, so this is more hype and beating of drums than anything else

2. the draft clearly states "return the issue to elected representatives".... so, be mindful of who you vote for.

On point #2, I find it funny that the draft clearly states that, yet we have a legislator accusing the Court of attempting to legislate from the bench by way of giving back to her the ability to legislate the issue.
It's all showmanship for [m]asses.

The Chief Justice just confirmed what you are saying. The leaked Doc is authentic but nothing is final or decided.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I wonder how many rights we have today are not expressly covered by the constitution? I wonder how many other rights the country once enjoyed the SC has previously removed - and while doing it overturned precedent? I wonder what Pandora's box this ruling has the potential to open. I wonder how you could have faith in the SC if when interviewed they said one thing and then acted in another way once appointed. There are lots of facets.

P
Legend
Legend
P
There certainly are a lot of facets to it. Many of those rights were eluded to in the constitution but not spelled out directly. In many cases those things were clarified. The fact that they lied during their interviews is another question all together. I think that leans more towards their character or lack there of. But in actuality, how many people can you actually trust? Often times when people have a specific agenda they will obtain that by any price necessary. I believe that having the ability to trust people in power or those wishing to obtain power has always been a fable that was ingrained in people at a much earlier time in our society. A notion that if you didn't trust them you must be a subversive. A time where information didn't flow as quickly or as easily. Aesop had nothing on them.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Supreme Court Draft Overturning Roe vs Wade

Link Copied to Clipboard