Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Hamfist
[quote=FrankZ]And yet Watson is innocent until proven otherwise.

Crazy, but that is how it actually works.
Originally Posted by FrankZ
No, it’s not. The grand jury decides if there is enough evidence to bring a case to court. That is in no way a definition of innocent.

That's very true, in fact I am pretty sure a court/jury never finds anyone innocent, they find them guilty or not guilty. Not guilty is not the same as innocent. Innocent is we know he didn't do it, not guilty means the prosecution did not prove beyond a reasonable that he did it. It may be semantics, but definitely a different determination.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

No, it’s not. The grand jury decides if there is enough evidence to bring a case to court. That is in no way a definition of innocent.

That's very true, in fact I am pretty sure a court/jury never finds anyone innocent, they find them guilty or not guilty. Not guilty is not the same as innocent. Innocent is we know he didn't do it, not guilty means the prosecution did not prove beyond a reasonable that he did it. It may be semantics, but definitely a different determination.
By the simple fact that when charged with a crime your are either not guilty or guilty. Not guilty and innocent are not the same for sure, and in the case of Watson, at this point in time is innocent. Why? two things, innocent until proven guilty and there was never charged with anything, only accused. Accusations not a criminal charge make. 2 grand juries decline to indict Watson on a criminal charge, yet people still want to play the "oh hes not innocent blah bblah" I can't believe how much this pandering has gone on. Surely there has to be something else to talk about. Noone on this board, myself included have ANY CLUE what either side knows or does. The only thing that is absolute is he has 22 civil cases to respond to and ZERO criminal charges to answer for. The moral police can keep that rhetoric, but until theres any resolution either way its just trolling

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1 member likes this: chet the jet
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S

If he is not charged, he IS innocent until proven guilty. If you are not charged, it can't be assumed that you are still guilty. Evidence is a funny thing, without it, you got nothing but hearsay.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
1 member likes this: leadtheway
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian

If he is not charged, he IS innocent until proven guilty. If you are not charged, it can't be assumed that you are still guilty. Evidence is a funny thing, without it, you got nothing but hearsay.
I was quoted as saying ge second thing but I did not.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
Will the recent trend established by Major League Baseball concerning sexual abuse allegations have an impact on similar cases against NFL players..?

GOOD QUESTION...

Major League Baseball and their commissioner, Rob Manfred appear to leading all major sports leagues when it comes to how seriously they take sexual assault type issues. Manfred and MLB appear to setting the standard when it comes to the investigation of sexual assault cases as well as setting a standard for handing out punishment to their players who are involved in sexual assault type issues.

The NFL might be forced to make some serious decisions in cases similar to those that MLB just faced.

Will MLB’s two-year suspension of Trevor Bauer impact NFL’s handling of Deshaun Watson?

Posted by Mike Florio on
April 30, 2022, 11:28 AM EDT
link

Major League Baseball stunned the sports world on Friday by suspending Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer for two full seasons, based on allegations of domestic violence. Although the facts are very different, it’s difficult not to wonder whether the extent of the punishment will influence the NFL’s ultimate handling of Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Bauer was accused of sexual assault that occurred when he allegedly went too far with consensual rough sex during a pair of encounters in April and May 2021. The allegations resulted in no criminal charges. A request for a permanent restraining order also was denied.

That doesn’t prevent the MLB from taking action. The league interviewed other women who claimed they had been assaulted by Bauer. One woman accused Bauer of choking her to the point of unconsciousness “dozens of times” during a relationship that spanned years.

Bauer was placed on paid leave last July. He has appeal rights, and he intends to exercise them. He has vehemently denied any and all wrongdoing.

The alleged facts are disturbing. More detail is available in this item from ESPN.com. The broader point, as it relates to the NFL, is whether Commissioner Roger Goodell will feel compelled to take stronger action against Watson, based on the two-year suspension imposed on Bauer.

These are fair and appropriate considerations. The entire Personal Conduct Policy is a P.R. tool, aimed at creating a vehicle for the league to take proper action against players who do things while not working that prompt fans and media to ask, “Why doesn’t the league take proper action?” Whether the action taken is or isn’t proper is determined not by any formula or calculation but by how fans and media react to it.

Already, some in the league office are privately advocating harsh action against Watson, who is accused by 22 women of sexual misconduct during massage sessions. He has not been charged with any crimes, but 22 lawsuits are pending and proceeding. Some in the league office believe that Watson should be placed on paid leave until the cases are resolved, with a decision made thereafter as to a possible unpaid suspension.

Last month, the Commissioner seemed to rule out paid leave, explaining that if the league concludes there’s enough to justify paid leave, Watson would simply be suspended without pay. For more than a year, there has been a sense in league circles that Watson will be suspended from four to eight games. Last October, for example, the Dolphins believed that, if they had finalized a trade for Watson following the settlement of all cases (18 of the 22 were ready to be resolved), he would have been suspended six games.

The Bauer case requires a fresh look at the question. Those in the league office who believe he shouldn’t play until the cases are resolved could also be inclined to push for a much harsher suspension, if/when the Commissioner decides to impose one. Could Watson be suspended for a full year?

It shouldn’t be regarded as impossible. And it could be reason enough for the Browns to try to re-build a bridge to Baker Mayfield. With their options for trading him drying up, there’s still a chance they’ll need him to play in 2022 — if Watson ultimately is suspended for the entire season.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
This news came out earlier this week and may have a bearing on Watson's playing status this upcoming year.

Update in the Deshaun Watson Civil Cases

There has been an update in the Deshaun Watson civil cases, which could have an effect in the outcome.
BRANDON LITTLEMAY 9, 2022

There has been an update made in the civil cases involving Cleveland Browns’ quarterback Deshaun Watson. Watson is being sued by multiple women for alleged sexual misconduct. Today, the judge ordered the lawyer for the accusers to turn over medical/mental health records and documents from experts.

Watson’s defense team made it known they wanted the records to be put out there. The judge will have access to the records, to ensure facts are facts, as well as any other information that the records could indicate. The hearing took place today.

Also, according to a report, the civil cases may not be heard until April of 2023. This would likely benefit Watson in terms of being on the field for the 2022 season. Watson missed the entirety of the 2021 season and has not played since 2020.

The NFL may wait until the civil cases are done to implement a suspension. It is now looking like that won’t happen until the 2023 off-season at least.

This is big news for the Browns in terms of where things stand. Nothing is set in stone, but this improves Watson’s chances of playing in the 2022 season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/update-in-the-deshaun-watson-civil-cases

I can see where the NFL might be hesitant to hand down a suspension before all the facts come out. On the other hand, I heard Shefty say last night the NFL would like to get this thing wrapped up as soon as possible. He mentioned around the time of training camp.

Legend
Legend
I just logged into Twitter, and I have been blocked byWatson. crazy

Oh well, no big deal. I guess that I am in quite a bit of good company, who have said things like "Gee, I hope the things he is accused of are untrue .... but it's hard to ignore 22 women ......"

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
This news came out earlier this week and may have a bearing on Watson's playing status this upcoming year.

Update in the Deshaun Watson Civil Cases

There has been an update in the Deshaun Watson civil cases, which could have an effect in the outcome.
BRANDON LITTLEMAY 9, 2022

There has been an update made in the civil cases involving Cleveland Browns’ quarterback Deshaun Watson. Watson is being sued by multiple women for alleged sexual misconduct. Today, the judge ordered the lawyer for the accusers to turn over medical/mental health records and documents from experts.

Watson’s defense team made it known they wanted the records to be put out there. The judge will have access to the records, to ensure facts are facts, as well as any other information that the records could indicate. The hearing took place today.

Also, according to a report, the civil cases may not be heard until April of 2023. This would likely benefit Watson in terms of being on the field for the 2022 season. Watson missed the entirety of the 2021 season and has not played since 2020.

The NFL may wait until the civil cases are done to implement a suspension. It is now looking like that won’t happen until the 2023 off-season at least.

This is big news for the Browns in terms of where things stand. Nothing is set in stone, but this improves Watson’s chances of playing in the 2022 season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/update-in-the-deshaun-watson-civil-cases

I can see where the NFL might be hesitant to hand down a suspension before all the facts come out. On the other hand, I heard Shefty say last night the NFL would like to get this thing wrapped up as soon as possible. He mentioned around the time of training camp.

I would be willing to bet the NFL is pressuring some involved behind the scenes to settle out of court and get it all behind him and the League before the start of training camp. I would also predict that is the most likely outcome at this point in time. Then the leagues discipline from their investigation will end the case.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Watson is back in Houston today for a deposition.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually it's two depositions today and then six more June 22-23.

https://www.si.com/college/clemson/football/deshaun-watson-to-give-depositions-this-week-next-month

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The opposition will try to keep him in national or Cleveland headlines until it's over. nanadance

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
The opposition will try to keep him in national or Cleveland headlines until it's over. nanadance

It's to be expected. Just like the Baker rage will continue until the browns make a conference championship or Superbowl.

People cling to their ideas even if they don't know what they are talking about.(that is a general comment and not necessarily pointed at anyone on this subject)

Last edited by Ballpeen; 05/14/22 08:20 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I doubt I ever get over the method they employed to dump Mayfield.. I still think it was cheesey.. That's not likely to change. No matter what the seasons ahead may hold

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
2 members like this: Southwestdawg, eotab
V
Legend
Legend
V
Baker's contract is fully guaranteed. He will make just short of $19 million this year even if he doesn't play, but the Browns were in the wrong? What should they have done instead? Treated him like Landry who was owed $15 million by the team? Instead, they cut him and don't owe him a penny. Poor, poor Baker. Some of you live in an alternative universe.

Legend
Legend
I've said this before. If my employer said, "we hurt your feelings trying to better the organization, here's a no strings attached 18 million to get over it". I'd sign off on that with a big smile on my face.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: Versatile Dog, GMdawg, CapCity Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Yes - other than the question of whether more could have been done sooner to get 'value' for Baker in a trade, I have no issue with what the FO did. But the reality is we don't know how far they went and what they tried to do, especially as Baker is still recovering. The flip side of that is that I also have no issue with Baker not renegotiating to reduce his guaranteed income - it's a business and both sides are taking care of business.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: jfanent
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

I wonder how Watson's Friday the 13th went in Texas...?

The sooner Watson and his lawyer conclude this ugly situation and settle his legal matters the better it will be for all.

Legend
Legend
Well, they started looking at Deshaun in October of last season, so they were obviously willing to move on for a huge upgrade... and already weighing that upside against allegations and legal problems. I'd say they were ready to move on pretty early but very unsure they could get "the prize". And unwilling to do so for a minor upgrade.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: mgh888
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

And now we have yet another Baker thread. Hmmmm.....

And OCD, of course it will be kept in the headlines. It's headline material. Anyone unaware of that is due to their own thought process. Sometimes the press invents stories. Sometimes they report on stories. This unwanted attention was inflicted upon the team by the decisions of the FO, not the media. If they and some of you didn't know this would be a part of getting DW, that's on you.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
The flip side of that is that I also have no issue with Baker not renegotiating to reduce his guaranteed income - it's a business and both sides are taking care of business.

I agree w/that side of the story, as well.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think the fact that Baker played injured and then was shown the door left a bitter taste in his mouth. You're the best option for us...oh no wait you are not btw be a good soldier. I don't know how it could have been done all I know is it was not done with class. Then again we are putting all our Football in the hands of one who puts something else in his hands that wasn't a football. Just a very dangerous thing to do and not much regard for the fans especially our female fans. Obviously I am not a female so I don't know for sure. All I can go on is my daughter in laws holding it against me cause I'm a Browns fan I don't like to be in that position so I ASSume other Browns fans has character issues with the trade.

1. we need to have DW play for us.
2. we need to have DW win for us. Stats could go out the window if we don't have that one stat that could have us won over...WINS!!!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by eotab
I think the fact that Baker played injured and then was shown the door left a bitter taste in his mouth. You're the best option for us...oh no wait you are not btw be a good soldier. I don't know how it could have been done all I know is it was not done with class. Then again we are putting all our Football in the hands of one who puts something else in his hands that wasn't a football. Just a very dangerous thing to do and not much regard for the fans especially our female fans. Obviously I am not a female so I don't know for sure. All I can go on is my daughter in laws holding it against me cause I'm a Browns fan I don't like to be in that position so I ASSume other Browns fans has character issues with the trade.

1. we need to have DW play for us.
2. we need to have DW win for us. Stats could go out the window if we don't have that one stat that could have us won over...WINS!!!

jmho

No matter how the team did it, Baker would have found a way to manufacture a chip for his shoulder. It's just the way he is wired.

It's a lot easier to tolerate that approach when things are going well. Unfortunately, things aren't always going to go well.

Some people bear down and work when adversity strikes. Others blow up. Here's hoping Watson is the former.

As the team preaches, it's all about the work.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I've seen a couple of comments insinuating Baker doesn't or hasn't knuckles down and worked hard. Given his history of being a walk on, not being given 1st team reps by Hue, etc and a total lack of any feddback to this affect previously... I find it odd. Would I prefer him to have embraced a QB coach? Sure. Do some QBs have a rep for always being first in and last out? Yes. Does that somehow mean Baker hasn't worked hard his entire career? No. As for Baker's feelings and if he has a chip on his shoulder, I couldn't care less.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
There is a good chance Watson may be suspended for half the season or more. I wish the Browns had traded for Russel Wilson instead. If Watson is suspended for a long time, it will look really bad for Berry and may even cost him his job!

1 member likes this: SuperBrown
Legend
Legend
I don't believe it was Barry's choice. I think the decision to get Watson came from the top.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Pdawg
I don't believe it was Barry's choice. I think the decision to get Watson came from the top.
Yep. Berry is exempt from any downside of the Watson situation. Jimmy decided to go all in independent of any desire by those around him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FATE
Yep. Berry is exempt from any downside of the Watson situation. Jimmy decided to go all in independent of any desire by those around him.

I personally find this hard to believe, but I am no insider. Do you guys have proof about this?

I personally think the Browns soured on Baker w/all his drama and substandard play and wanted to move on. Watson was the most talented option out there. Russ is good, but he is another short qb who drops so deep that he is sacked more than he should be.

Legend
Legend

I personally find this hard to believe, but I am no insider. Do you guys have proof about this?

I personally think the Browns soured on Baker w/all his drama and substandard play and wanted to move on. Watson was the most talented option out there. Russ is good, but he is another short qb who drops so deep that he is sacked more than he should be.

I really should have quoted this post, but I was also agreeing with Pdawg...

Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
There is a good chance Watson may be suspended for half the season or more. I wish the Browns had traded for Russel Wilson instead. If Watson is suspended for a long time, it will look really bad for Berry and may even cost him his job!

No way in hell Berry gets fired for anything that has to do with Watson. We were OUT until the owner sold the farm.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm sure I could find the source if pressed to do so but, I remember reading in the first few days after acquiring Watson that the origin of the idea came from "football operations". I don't know how the team defines that term. To me, it sounds like Berry, DePodesta and other Brown executives formated the plan to pursue Watson, then presented it to the Haslams'.

Too often board members misinterpret the reasons for a particular post. So, I'm repeating this for the sake of accuracy. Nothing more. I am not anticipating any developments beyond a possible suspension. Once that's behind Watson I tend to believe he will be an upgrade at the position. In my opinion, the risks to Berry's career are negligible.

Last edited by guard dawg; 05/15/22 09:47 PM.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As with a lot of the conversations on this forum, feelings and heart interfere with what is actually business. Berry, DePodesta, and other Brown executives are tasked with enhancing and protecting the company image while developing a winning program. The Haslam's are the owners of the said company who hire those individuals to make that business acumen successful. Whether the pursuit of Watson was driven by the Haslam's or Berry, DePodesta, and other Brown executives, the success or failure of the move will land directly in the laps of Berry, DePodesta, and the other Brown executives.

The expectation with the deal complete is that the Browns are a bonafide challenger for the AFC crown. Somewhere during that process, which included Stefanski, it was determined that the team could not achieve their business acumen with a QB they had not chosen in Baker Mayfield. That excuse has been corrected and now the success of the acumen falls directly in the laps of Berry, DePodesta, and other Brown executives including Stefanski. Ownership and the FO group are prepared for the suspension as it was set up contractually. Other than that, anything else that effects the eventual W-L record will fall directly into the laps of Berry, DePodesta, and other Brown executives including Stefanski.

The sleeping dog in the room might be awaken with the depositions of the 18 women (often ignored) that have come out in support of Watson. Those depositions will IMHO be the smoking gun in this whole matter for Watson because if these women admit having sex with Watson for money the solicitation felony will become front and center. To solicit a prostitute is to request that someone engage in intercourse or a lewd act in exchange for compensation. To be convicted of soliciting prostitution, you must be found guilty of: Soliciting another person to engage in sexual intercourse or a lewd act in exchange for money or some other form of compensation. All forms of prostitution including soliciting a prostitute are charged as a state jail felony — regardless of whether it is your first offense.

Solicitation of Prostitution Under the New Texas Penal Code §43.021. Under the new Texas law, it remains a crime to solicit prostitution even if no money is exchanged (or other form of payment) and/or no sexual conduct transpires. It remains a crime in Texas merely to ask for sex in exchange for any type of payment. Texas Penal Code Ann. 43.03 defines the solicitation of prostitution as a criminal act. Therefore, the law doesn’t apply to the prostitute (the person who provides sex for money or other compensation). A person charged with acting as a prostitute shouldn’t be charged under this section of the law.

The sleeping dog will be the now 40 depositions from the women involved that surely will be focused on the sex expectations. The more that confirm Watson's intentions the more likelihood potential felony charges could be on the horizon. That could blow this whole Watson to Cleveland situation out of the water.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I doubt I ever get over the method they employed to dump Mayfield.. I still think it was cheesey.. That's not likely to change. No matter what the seasons ahead may hold

Thats cool. I don't know what method had you irritated. The team moved on with a better option. At least what they felt was a better option. I guess only time will tell if that proves out or not.

To me it was pretty evident that it wasn't all roses between the two camps once we didn't extend him and exercised the 5th year option.

Bakers big mistake was not opting for surgery when he first got hurt, or shortly after. Yes, it probably helped in the sense it made him look tough and dedicated, but it didn't help him at all in getting another contract.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E

I realize you wish not to argue with me regarding Baker...I see the TOM TERRIFIC hat ready to blow...lol laugh its ok we can debate without insulting each other. I really think your distaste for Baker has you seeing things that just don't exist. If it is as you say it was then why did we sign him for a "GUARANTEED" 18+ million when he was healthy I think Haslam is not a good owner where he let the MEDIA convince him to force the issue after seeing the success OBJ had with the RAMS. He couldn't understand that OBJ didn't want to play for us and that he robbed us cause he could have turned it on and be a good team player but he bought into the media drowning with Baker hate and OBJ still with his DADDY protecting his son as any dad would.

If it was done right we would have a DW suspension with Baker starting and winning having that positive active auction for Baker before the trading deadline. But we burnt the bridge...it takes two to do so. We have reviewed teams in the past who bomb on their 1st and 2nd round picks and we aren't talking Baker we are talking 3 years without a pick at all. That void is hard to fill and I just don't see Berry doing it as a GM decision when we were so so close to having that dynasty. Teams going 3 years without a first round pick and in our case with the bridge burning it will actually make it FOUR YEARS without a first round pick. Berry/DePodesta are suppose to be draft GURUs with us being so close building both the O and especially the D to be dynasty level. I just think its a diservice to us fans and it was done by somebody that was just impatient...somebody like a silver spoon Billionaire with no patience even if the time was right and we drafted a new QB...obviously not this year. But if Baker was a bust then we would be picking top 5-10 after a top 13 pick which we saw would have given the DEFENSE a Jordan Davis. I am giving Berry the benefit of the doubt that he was not that STOOPID to give away 3 "YEARS" THREE YEARS of first round picks away to finishing building this team.

jmho - don't get me wrong DW is a very good QB who has some baggage though that endangers us having the opportunity to use him. 3 YEARS going without a first round pick is how a team ends up sucking!! We just got the tip of the iceberg and like the captain of the TITANIC...full speed ahead! How well did that go???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I had company yesterday and drank too many beers, so I may not have been clear w/my post. If so, I apologize. In no way was I implying that Berry could lose his job. The part I questioned was that going after Watson was Haslam's decision and that Berry was just following orders. I never once got the impression that Berry was being forced to do something he didn't want to do. But again........I agree that Berry's job should be safe. He's doing an excellent job!

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I don't know whose decision it was to trade for Watson. If he is suspended for most of the season and the Browns have a losing record, Berry could be the fall guy.

Legend
Legend
I disagree.

It was not as simple as "the decision to trade for Watson". We had been doing our homework for over five months. It was the prospect of competing for his services. ALL were on-board with the prospect (FO), and the five months of due diligence necessary, as Berry said, "the most extensive investigative, legal, and reference work I've been a part of".

Why? You always try to get better at QB. At a certain point, with this type of endeavor, with this type of price-tag, it's the owner that is making the calls. When Berry came back and said "Sorry we couldn't get it done", Haslam pounds his fist on the table and decides to push the most lucrative offer in the history of football into the center of the table.

That's Haslam going all-in. That's Haslam flexing his muscles. That's an owner "getting what he wants".

There is no way for him to blame that on anyone else.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

4 members like this: jfanent, mgh888, FL_Dawg
Legend
Legend
with what we're paying him, he can buy the plane, field, and a resort for them all to stay in.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: FATE
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
I don't know whose decision it was to trade for Watson. If he is suspended for most of the season and the Browns have a losing record, Berry could be the fall guy.

DCit...imo, Jimmy Haslam made the decision to trade for Watson.

Haslam might fool a few with his charade, pretending to be a "hand-off owner"...but in reality the Watson decision exposes Haslam for what he is..a spoiled billionaire owner whose idea of fun is "playing with his toys", the Browns in this case.

The Watson deal is similar to some of the other judgments Haslam is responsible for...such as deciding to draft Johnny 'Football' Manziel then attempting to fashion a cover story that some "homeless man" told him to draft Manziel. Jimmy tries so hard to project himself as a hands off owner rather than taking responsibility for his actions.

Another clear example of Haslam's compulsive behavior as he attempts to prove himself as a legit NFL owner. It was Jimmy who went against all who were advising him against hiring Hue Jackson as the Browns new head coach after Pettine was fired by Haslam. Haslam went against the advice of those he hired to run his franchise and took it upon himself to fly to Cincini and sign Hue Jackson as his HC.

Below...excerpt from a Jan 24, 2019 article entitled Report: Jimmy Haslam ignored advice to not hire Hue Jackson
link

The Browns were 4-1 in favor of hiring McDermott. Unfortunately, the singular vote belonged to owner Jimmy Haslam.

I view the Watson situation as just another example of the Browns owner taking it upon himself to prove to the rest of the NFL that he deserves to be treated as a serious NFL owner, who will not take NO for an answer.

Watson did not want to play in Cleveland evidence being the Browns were the first team eliminated from consideration by Watson and his team of negotiators. But the Browns went from being the first team out of contention for Watson's services...to being the high bidder for Watson with Haslam giving him the most expensive contract in NFL history at that time. IMO, Jimmy took that rejection by Watson's team of negotiators as a personal insult and once again took it upon himself to make the deal happen, regardless of the cost involved or the damage it might do to the franchise long term financially.

...just like Haslam did with drafting Johnny Football and hiring Hue Jackson based on his own judgement.

There is no way that Berry should be held responsible for the decision Jimmy Haslam made...signing Watson to the richest QB contract in the history of the NFL. GMs are not going to have that level of control over a franchise's purse strings to pull off such a deal.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am still waiting for a link that says Haslam forced Berry to acquire Watson. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that. I think that the Browns organization realized that they had a good roster and that they needed an upgrade at the QB position. That is why they did not give Baker the extension and it is why they started looking at Watson way back in November or whenever it was. I have a feeling they were exploring other possible options as well. They may have considered trading for guys like Carr, Cousins, Jimmy G [before his throwing shoulder was injured, etc. They may have considered Wilson?

I do NOT believe that the the coaching staff and FO wanted to keep Baker and Haslam demanded they make the trade for Watson. Sorry. I'll change my mind if you have a link to back up your claim.

Legend
Legend
..but in reality the Watson decision exposes Haslam for what he is..a spoiled billionaire owner whose idea of fun is "playing with his toys"

That could be said of any owner of a professional sports team. Owning a team is a luxury, a rich man's hobby. If you think any owner just shells out insane money for a team and then turns over complete control to others without any input, you are mistaken. There are a few exceptions to this, like Randy Lerner, who inherited the team and was disinterested as an owner. I pretty sure that's not what you're looking for either.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshawn Watson News/Issues

Link Copied to Clipboard