Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1944913 05/16/22 10:59 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Hopefully this thread does not turn into another BM thread.

The Browns will most likely add another player or two to the DL. Obviously, we are all holding out that Clowney returns.

My concern is not so much who we have currently as receivers because we have a good mix of skills.

My concern is what happens if Cooper gets injured? That leaves "potential" to replace a veteran. DPJ, Schwartz, Bell all the others all of sudden look weak.

Jarvis is gone unfortunately. Cooper is a vet but he is not Jarvis from a leadership point of view. If Cooper were injured the options don't look very strong.

IMO we need a guy. There are not many options. Julio Jones is 33. He is probably a $11m guy for a one year deal.

IMO he would be a good pick up. He would not be depended upon to be "the guy". He would be a good insurance guy to have.

He could contribute as a part time player, and be huge if we lost Cooper.

We are in a win now mode. I would hate to be looking for a unproven guy to carry the load if Cooper went down.

Will Fuller is an option as well. Not much else is out there. Unless June 1st brings cuts.

O
Legend
Legend
O
DW this year, or whoever is under center:

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
If any WR goes,down it spells trouble .
If Cooper goes down then defenses don't have to commit a double team to anyone
They can bring a extra Blitzer down in the box causing DW to throw off schedule
If DPJ , Schwartz, or Bell goes down then Cooper will face bracket coverge all day
And that's something Cooper did not face alot last year .
In fact I expect Cooper to be doubled sooner than later when the season begins
I can see defenses alot playing alot of cover 2. Taking away DPJ and Schwartz supposed strengths,
And forcing them to work underneath more

V
Legend
Legend
V
It looks like Jones and Fuller are about the only guys left other than OBJ and the latter will probably be out for until late November or December. I really don't like either Fuller or Jones [at this point of his career.] I wonder if we could trade for a guy?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I saw this name on another thread, but I think Cole Beasley could help out a bit. He was injured last year, but he is very good in the slot and can give us some much-needed experience.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I feel like a good QB will raise the level of their receivers ... with only so many roster spots to come from that group and Grant is basically a ST guy ... much of the o/a success will depend on Schwartz taking a step, and I am not all that confident that he will ever display the hands of a receiver, therefore I concider this group to be the weakest on the team ... even if Watson can raise the play of guys like DPJ. Either one of the rookie WRs' not named Bell needs to show potential or we need to bring in another Veteran into this group.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
If DPJ , Schwartz, or Bell goes down then Cooper will face bracket coverge all day
I can see defenses alot playing alot of cover 2. Taking away DPJ and Schwartz supposed strengths,

Schwartz has done absolutely nothing (besides running fast) to be considered a legit member of our receiving corp.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: FATE
FL_Dawg #1944973 05/16/22 02:23 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I have some confidence in DPJ. And I agree a top level qb will help.

However, the Browns have a very good roster. We have great talent at important positions. We are in this to win now.

The group with Cooper is decent and we have the run game along with Njoku and Bryant. Schwartz may improve and he can be a stretch receiver.

If we were to go into post season without Cooper we would be hurting IMO.

Julio is veteran guy who if healthy. You can count on. It is unreasonable to depend on Bell. He could help a unit but he is a third round rookie.

I favor experience. I hope we add a guy.

FL_Dawg #1944975 05/16/22 02:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Me dumb. Sorry, but a little help. What does that "o/a success" mean or refer to in this context? I agree with you that I have very little confidence in Schwartz, and I haven't seen much development to dissuade that. Just brain lock as to what you were stating.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
jfanent #1944976 05/16/22 02:26 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Schwartz scares me because I don't think he is a natural catcher of the football. There is one highlight that networks show over and over again when discussing Baker, but the latter delivered a perfect deep pass to Schwartz and while Schwartz did eventually catch it, he fought it like the ball had razor blades protruding from its skin. That play is similar to others when I feel he just doesn't have natural hands. Of course, I could be dead wrong about that and I hope he changes my mind w/his future performance.

2 members like this: jfanent, FL_Dawg
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
Me dumb. Sorry, but a little help. What does that "o/a success" mean or refer to in this context? I agree with you that I have very little confidence in Schwartz, and I haven't seen much development to dissuade that. Just brain lock as to what you were stating.

Overall.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
Hopefully this thread does not turn into another BM thread.

We are in a win now mode. I would hate to be looking for a unproven guy to carry the load if Cooper went down.

Will Fuller is an option as well. Not much else is out there. Unless June 1st brings cuts.

Hard to predict injury, but to your point, not only June 1 cuts. Camp cuts will produce a few vets.

At this point I don't know of any real WRs left that aren't "just guys". Maybe we could still trade for another? I know i have mentioned Hunt as a trade possibility. I guess I could include D'ernest as well. I don't think we just drafted a back for the heck of it..extend Hunt or DJ and trade the other. Both are starting quality backs

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Basically Schwartz needs to show that he belongs, or he is just taking up a roster spot in a group that can ill afford a weak link, because we have but one astablished Veteran in the group, and we are already banking on a rookie to be an intrical wheel in the machinery.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
The only comment I have to make in this regard is that it seems very strange to me to invest so much money in a QB and then not go out and get him the weapons to excel and accentuate the passing game.

People can say what they like, but nobody else on the current roster has proven themselves worthy of the #2 WR and as has often been the case with the Browns, all the fans are left with is hope DPJ has developed and Schwartz who has shown nothing so far will suddenly be a good contributor. They are once again in the position of "I think he will become"... "I think he has the potential to" and "He has the skill set to". There's always hopes and dreams I guess. I just hope for the sake of you all that it doesn't turn out the way it usually does when that's all you have.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Our WR depth is - remarkably - worse or more unknown than it was last year. Which is quite a feat. Three of the top WRs and our "TE1" from last year are no longer on the team. Our TE room is nothing but potential. I hope Browns fans are tempering their enthusiasm because we are - once again - heading into the TC season on a wing and a prayer with our pass-catching group.

FL_Dawg #1944991 05/16/22 02:59 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Basically Schwartz needs to show that he belongs, or he is just taking up a roster spot in a group that can ill afford a weak link, because we have but one astablished Veteran in the group, and we are already banking on a rookie to be an intrical wheel in the machinery.

I agree with you...but Schwartz is exactly what we drafted. He's got an elite trait (speed) and questions at route-running and catching the ball. It's not his fault that he was exactly what was drafted. We need better...and today there isn't anyone to push him off the roster.

jfanent #1944996 05/16/22 03:13 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by jfanent
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

Schwartz has done absolutely nothing (besides running fast) to be considered a legit member of our receiving corp.
I totally agree with you
Schwartz plays timid and is afraid to get smacked
He had plenty of opportunities to step up and with after OBJ
Got cut and Landry got hurt
He failed to produce.. 2/5th of his yds came on 1 catch vs
The Chiefs.
He is more track star than WR. There is nothing special about him.
Berry overdrafted him. You don't draft developmental players
In RD 3..you draft guys ready to contribute year 1.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

I agree with you...but Schwartz is exactly what we drafted. He's got an elite trait (speed) and questions at route-running and catching the ball. It's not his fault that he was exactly what was drafted. We need better...and today there isn't anyone to push him off the roster.

And that's basically the conundrum we are left with, with Schwartz.

If I were him I would invest in a pair of thumb cuffs (to keep his hands even) and practice catching the football 100+ passes per day, and then do the same with his two little fingers to simulate over the shoulder catches.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 05/16/22 03:22 PM.

[Linked Image]

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
It looks like Jones and Fuller are about the only guys left other than OBJ and the latter will probably be out for until late November or December. I really don't like either Fuller or Jones [at this point of his career.] I wonder if we could trade for a guy?
Look at Juwan Jennings
6'3 target . Played meaningful snaps with the Niners in 2021.
In fact he scored more TDs than Schwartz and DPJ combined
Last year
He averaged a TD every 5 catches. Thats a darn good ratio

Legend
Legend
he fought it like the ball had razor blades protruding from its skin.

Classic! May I add that he's afraid of the field and the contact as well. #notarealfootballplayer

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This group is middle of the road. Cooper is good but recently dinged up and honestly he was never elite, his best year was 1,100 yards and 8 TD's.

I don't have any faith whatsoever in Schwartz.

DPJ has the size and athleticism to take a nice jump. What's a nice jump for him 800 yards 5-7 TDs?

Definitely would be nice to have a veteran. Just in case these guys don't get better. An Adam Humphries or a Cole Beasley would be solid, needs some reliable if not spectacular guys in case Schwartz or DPJ don't step up.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't think that Berry is blind to the inexperience at receiver.

Given what Jarvis signed for however I am surprised we did not sign him.

The more I think about this the more I believe we will sign someone with experience. Fuller makes sense because he has played with DW before.

I think Julio has to be considered. He has good hands. Knows how to get open and runs good routes.

A one year deal works.

Somehow some way I think we add a guy before camp begins.

T
Legend
Legend
T
To the original post.
Someone will step up.
Schwartz had a good opening game in 2021.

The recent Browns' have added their free agents before the draft, largely. Jarvis, OBJ, Deshaun, Amari, Clowney, Kareem, Takk, etc. all before their drafts. I think it's a set group until the season begins.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Schwartz had a good opening game in 2021.

I shot a 78 for 18 holes once.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: FATE, mgh888
T
Legend
Legend
T
Understandably Jarvis Landry is now on another team.
The Browns, have been consistent in their approach to drafting receivers. Harrison Bryant, was a 3rd? maybe. DPJ was in the 6th round.
Schwartz was a 3rd rounder, and Demetric Felton a 6th.
David Bell was a 3rd rounder and Micheal Woods II a 6th. At least it's consistent, maybe somebody will step up.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Understandably Jarvis Landry is now on another team.
The Browns, have been consistent in their approach to drafting receivers. Harrison Bryant, was a 3rd? maybe. DPJ was in the 6th round.
Schwartz was a 3rd rounder, and Demetric Felton a 6th.
David Bell was a 3rd rounder and Micheal Woods II a 6th. At least it's consistent, maybe somebody will step up.
Historically since 1999, the Browns rarely draft WRs in the 1st
RD. Since Berry has come on board he prefers to use the mid to late
RDS to address that position.
The thing is he is gambling on 2 players drafted in the same year
To develop Felton and Schwartz.
But neither exactly lit up the college stat sheet.
And neither are natural WRs.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Antonio Callaway and Damion Ratley were a 4th and a 6th at Wr in 2018 too.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I am happy with the Trade for Cooper, and I believed DPJ who is going into his 3rd year is much better than a lot of posters on here are giving him credit for, the more playing time he gets I think he will make us all happy, Anthony Swartz was a Rookie, give the kid a break and see what happens in his 2nd year, and Bell IMO could be the steal of the draft in the 3rd round, I have no problem with bringing in another veteran WR, but lets give these young guys a chance to work with DW before throwing them out with the bath water ...

Last edited by PastorMarc; 05/16/22 08:26 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
V
Legend
Legend
V
You make good points, Pastor. And yes, the youngsters may work out. It's just that we have a really great roster and it's a bit concerning that we are relying on question marks. I haven't given up on the kids. I would just like one vet who has proven something in the league to be on the roster as our projected #2 WR. I really wish we had kept Landry.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You make good points, Pastor. And yes, the youngsters may work out. It's just that we have a really great roster and it's a bit concerning that we are relying on question marks. I haven't given up on the kids. I would just like one vet who has proven something in the league to be on the roster as our projected #2 WR. I really wish we had kept Landry.

I too wish we could have retained Landy, I mean look at what he signed for, IMO Landry just wanted to go home and play, and I do agree we should bring in a veteran WR.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, we need to sign a Veteran WR but my biggest concern right now is signing Clowney and a veteran DT ....

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good points.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Maybe they should have held on to the 3 they had 12 months ago.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bell will be fine.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I’ve watched Beasley a lot the past couple years. Shifty, smart, great hands. Spatial awareness is another good trait about him. I would not mind signing him.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bell will be fine.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Bell will be fine.

IIRC, WR is a position that requires 'growing into' in the pro ranks. If Bell is what people say he is, then I'm looking forward to the player he can become but that might not help us a ton this year. And as another poster pointed out, if that room picks up just 1 serious injury then we're suddenly in a world of hurt.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
I too wish we could have retained Landy, I mean look at what he signed for, IMO Landry just wanted to go home and play, and I do agree we should bring in a veteran WR.

Which is one possible theory. The other may be he simply isn't happy about the way things have gone down during the off season. I mean if we're just throwing out theories.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Bell is a rookie, and a mid-rounder at that. Absolutely nobody should be having high expectations of him. High hopes, sure, but not expectations. He's a lock to make the roster unless he turns out to be a complete bonehead, but he has quite a bit to prove before anyone can think he's going to see extended play time. To his benefit, however, there isn't a whole lot in front of him or pushing him, so I guess any guess is as good as another.

Landry wasn't going to be a #2 here, which tells us that the FO feels fairly confident in DPJ owning that role. Without Landry, we have several options for Slot.... the FO has thrown a LOT against the wall there this offseason and something should stick.
I think they're waiting for minicamps to see guys on the field before they decide whether or not to make any more moves in that room. Behind DPJ, though, we don't have much; if he or Cooper miss games, we're hurting. We have, what... JaMarcus Bradly and Schwartz behind those guys? That's a prime example of "Hope is not a plan."

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Thank you. I do not text and speak 'abbreviationese.' This was chewing on me, so thanks, Vers!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Receiver depth

Link Copied to Clipboard