Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Why cant schools have metal detectors? We can keep stadiums safe but not schools?

That's the question I'm asking...why not make our schools safer and do a better job of protecting school kids..

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why cant schools have metal detectors? We can keep stadiums safe but not schools?

Lakewood High School has had them since the 90's it doesn't stop weapons from getting in any more than jail keeps drugs or weapons out.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by mac
Texas..a mass shooting "at a freaking school"...hmm...

I've mentioned this before as a first step, schools must control the entrances to schools with armed guards and metal detectors to ensure kids are safe at school. The cost for such security should be footed by gun organizations, gun manufacturers as well all retailers who sell the guns. Taxpayers SHOULD NOT be forced to foot the bill for this necessary security that is needed to ensure the protection of students, teachers and school staff.

All schools should be required to provide a safe environment at school and do all they can to protect students from some gun toting idiot looking to just kill innocent school kids.

Just a first step...a lot more work needs to be done concerning guns...jmo, mac
How 'bout we just drop the political rhetoric and get something done.

There are 130,000 public schools. Each could be fortified for under 50G. That's 6.5B, we write more pork into every bill that hits the floor. Will you pitch in 20 bucks? If not, I got your back.

ASSIGNING RESPONSIBILITY "IS NOT POLITICAL"!

Not a damn thing political about what I wrote either...unless some are grasping for anything to avoid addressing the problem and focusing on making students safe while at school.

Citizens and taxpayers are already paying taxes to support their schools and help provide as safe of an environment as they can afford...and "obviously" its still is not enough security to keep students safe while at school and insure their safety from gun violence while at school.

Understand, I have no way of knowing the political affiliation of any gun organization or the owner/ceo of a gun manufacturer or the owners of retail businesses that sell guns. I know there are some who will attempt to avoid the issue of school safety and try to frame any idea that might change the current approach of DOING NOTHING by claiming that any idea mentioned is political.

FOR THE RECORD...I've been a near lifelong gun owner as a registered Republican and a Democrat...so you can take your political accusations and park them in an appropriate place.

Those who seem be suggesting that it should be the taxpayers and citizens are the folks who should be held responsible for providing increased security for their school kids...which one of you has the guts to stand before the parents of these dead kids and tell them they need to foot the bill to provide more safety at their school to protect their kids from getting shot?

What is wrong with asking the gun industry (all levels) to become involved in and helping to provide the needed security to make schools safe..?

Maybe you would prefer that all gun manufactures be sued out of existence like Remington Arms..?

I would rather see the gun industry at all levels, become involved in "solutions" to the gun violence issue.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Another very sad day. mUrIcA.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How about starting by raising the age to own a gun to 21.

Sandy Hook shooter was 18.
Buffalo shooter was 18.
Texas shooter was 18.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Too soon for this, I know. What happened is a tragedy, of course.

With that said, are you in favor of holding car manufacturers liable for drunk driving deaths?

I don't know how this school was, but area schools around here are locked down, daily. to get in, you have to ring, get a photograph (like a ring door bell kind of thing), then you get access to an entry area, where you again have to be allowed in.

This kind of stuff can and does happen anywhere, everywhere. I would be all in favor of armed police at every school. Again, around here, in poor rural corn field n.w. Ohio, we have SRO's. School Resource Officers - in just about every building.

Now, a bad person with evil intent could break down a back door, of course. I don't have the answers, obviously. No one does, obviously. School shootings, of innocent (in this case) pre teens is a devastating thing.

V
Legend
Legend
V
While we are on the subject of placing blame........and Eve, I am so sorry and I apologize ahead of time.......but

How about we stop w/all the violent video games that glorify killing and discount the tragedy of death?

How about we stop glorifying all the killing that dominates the movies in this era. I try and find good movies and almost all of them are these stupid action flicks that involve violence and/or horror movies that do the same.

Hey kids, let's watch people killing one another and let me buy you this video game where you get to shoot other people.

Pffttttt......

O
Legend
Legend
O
We can all talk about it until we're blue in the face. Nothing will happen this time either. There will be a bunch of blah blah out of both sides, then dems will wanted to ban certain guns and GOPers will say no. Same ole same ole... I don't think they even look at the scenes anymore. If we really wanted to get something done, we should lockem all in a room and tell them they can't leave until it's resolved to the American peoples satisfaction. I wasn't even going to comment. Fighting an enemy that hides like a coward when things heat up has just sucked the soul out of me.

And to the good Rs on here, I'm sorry for all the things that will be said about you all in the next 24-72 hours. We don't need to take away hunting guns or bad mouth gun owners in general. But we need to stop letting these maniacs kill kids in schools.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/24/22 09:56 PM.
Legend
Legend
Agree with that... raise the age to 21... cut out the private sales and loop holes... hire ex-military as guards for the schools... and improve mental health for teens and young adults...

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Biden should order a squad of National Guard to every school in America to work rotations until Congress acts. One on every entrance at anytime kids are on the premises. America wouldn't let that stand long, but they will do nothing about these kids being killed.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
For the first 5 months of this year, the US has averaged 10 mass shootings per week. More than (1) per day. A mass shooting is a shooting where there are 4 or more victims.

E
Legend
Legend
E
It wouldnt be too hard to set up a metal dector and a security guard at schools. Every town has park police. Shouldnt be too hard to hire some school police.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
School shootings and other mass killings have been a part of our society since before our country was founded.

Banning all or some types of guns will not keep shootings from happening. At this point, anyone can 3D print one. Iit's pretty easy to get an illegal gun on any street corner in the ghetto along with your choice of illegal drugs or other illegal things. Also, if guns are banned people will likely go back to doing more school bombings which have also been happening since the 1880's.

Sadly, I am not sure anyone will ever solve mass killings unless we start eliminating evil people before they are born... which is impossible at this point.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
It wouldnt be too hard to set up a metal dector and a security guard at schools. Every town has park police. Shouldnt be too hard to hire some school police.

A fully installed metal detector would probably average about 10-15k per door.

We used to have one officer at the front door at the beginning of the school day and another one out at the street directing traffic entering the school grounds.
We now only have one SRO (we are getting less money from the state-another problem) and we have to get buzzed in through the outside door and stay in the vestibule until the school knows what we are here for and then we can go into the office and sign in.

But even with a school guard and a metal detector. Money is tight in schools and we probably have about 16 different doors that would have to either be locked down or have a detector. We have had a school resource officer since my kids were in kindergarten. Our schools are all three levels in three different wings in a 208,000 square foot building. If there is a school resource officer in the high school office and someone starts shooting in the other side of the building in one of the other wings or upstairs, it would take a while to get to where the shooter is. I understand that there would be a county wide response. But a hell of a lot of damage could happen anyways.

CNN said something tonight that these shootings alot of times only take 4-6 minutes from when it starts until when the shooter is dead or in custody. A lot of lives are changed in that 4-6 minutes.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
M
Legend
Legend
M

Stadiums have long lines and a traffic jam of people trying to pass through said metal detectors. However, take for example, Browns stadium on game day, there is a massive police presence with SWAT, snipers atop buildings, K-9s, etc., to quickly put down a threat. Sports teams can afford this massive security presence.

Add metal detectors to a large school and have that same slow process of entry and a clogged traffic jam of students waiting outside when they all arrive at nearly the same time and you have sitting ducks for these opportunistic lunatics.

Not to mention poor school districts cannot afford the additional security and the wealthier districts will not want their kids walking into an environment that seems more like a prison than an inviting place of learning.

Legend
Legend
Just excuses... I think if you let the people vote, most parents are 100% voting for security at school... metal detectors I don't know if they'd be helpful, but 100% I want former military at my sons' school... I'd happily welcome a tax increase for that...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
School shootings and other mass killings have been a part of our society since before our country was founded.

Banning all or some types of guns will not keep shootings from happening. At this point, anyone can 3D print one. Iit's pretty easy to get an illegal gun on any street corner in the ghetto along with your choice of illegal drugs or other illegal things. Also, if guns are banned people will likely go back to doing more school bombings which have also been happening since the 1880's.

Sadly, I am not sure anyone will ever solve mass killings unless we start eliminating evil people before they are born... which is impossible at this point.

Lol, school shootings and other mass killings have been part of our society since before our country was founded

It takes a special kind of soulless sub human to make such a statement, and I prefer not to get banned for commenting further.

I would prefer the bombs, than you very much.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Update....

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Stadiums have long lines and a traffic jam of people trying to pass through said metal detectors. However, take for example, Browns stadium on game day, there is a massive police presence with SWAT, snipers atop buildings, K-9s, etc., to quickly put down a threat. Sports teams can afford this massive security presence.

Add metal detectors to a large school and have that same slow process of entry and a clogged traffic jam of students waiting outside when they all arrive at nearly the same time and you have sitting ducks for these opportunistic lunatics.

Not to mention poor school districts cannot afford the additional security and the wealthier districts will not want their kids walking into an environment that seems more like a prison than an inviting place of learning.

Schools arent trying to admit 60K plus people. Even at Philips Arena for a Hawks game, capacity is about 16K and you can walk right through security, no waiting. Its not hard to secure schools.

No Craps Given
M
Legend
Legend
M
Its not hard to secure schools.

The evidence says otherwise, sadly.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Nobody has really tried, sadly.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Lakewood high school

E
Legend
Legend
E

Lakewood high school

What percentage of schools in this country have security? <3% ? I feel 3% is generous

Sandy Hook didnt have security.
This school today didnt have security.

What percentage of schools with security have mass shootings? 0% ?

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by WooferDawg

Lol, school shootings and other mass killings have been part of our society since before our country was founded

It takes a special kind of soulless sub human to make such a statement, and I prefer not to get banned for commenting further.

I would prefer the bombs, than you very much.

Um. What? I'm just speaking from facts and our history.

- Read about bath township school bombing in Michigan. 45 dead 58 injured.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Lakewood high school

What percentage of schools in this country have security? <3% ? I feel 3% is generous

UCISD's website states that the district has "proponents to curb and/or eliminate" elements of" violence, vandalism, disruptions and fear" in its schools to "provide a safe and secure environment for all."

Those proponents include four officers, including a chief, a detective and two officers within the school district; partnerships with local law enforcement agencies; security staff that patrols door entrances and parking lots at secondary campuses; case managers and social workers on UCISD campuses; licensed counselors; threat assessment teams; social media threat monitoring; a visitor management security system; canine detection services; motion detectors and alarm systems; perimeter fencing at Robb and other schools; security vestibules and outside buzz-in systems; security cameras; a locked classroom door policy; staff and student training; and a threat reporting system.

I feel like most schools are protected from people on the outside.
https://www.assaabloydss.com/en/sol...rity/2021-condition-of-education-report/

In the 2017–18 school year, 95 percent of public schools reported that they controlled access to school buildings by locking or monitoring doors during school hours. Other safety and security measures reported by public schools included the use of security cameras to monitor the school (83 percent), a requirement that faculty and staff wear badges or picture IDs (70 percent),

In 2019, about 86 percent of students ages 12–18 reported observing one or more security cameras to monitor their school, and 75 percent of students reported the presence of security guards or assigned police officers.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Lakewood high school

UCISD's website states that the district has "proponents to curb and/or eliminate" elements of" violence, vandalism, disruptions and fear" in its schools to "provide a safe and secure environment for all."

Those proponents include four officers, including a chief, a detective and two officers within the school district; partnerships with local law enforcement agencies; security staff that patrols door entrances and parking lots at secondary campuses; case managers and social workers on UCISD campuses; licensed counselors; threat assessment teams; social media threat monitoring; a visitor management security system; canine detection services; motion detectors and alarm systems; perimeter fencing at Robb and other schools; security vestibules and outside buzz-in systems; security cameras; a locked classroom door policy; staff and student training; and a threat reporting system.

In the 2017–18 school year, 95 percent of public schools reported that they controlled access to school buildings by locking or monitoring doors during school hours. Other safety and security measures reported by public schools included the use of security cameras to monitor the school (83 percent), a requirement that faculty and staff wear badges or picture IDs (70 percent),

In 2019, about 86 percent of students ages 12–18 reported observing one or more security cameras to monitor their school, and 75 percent of students reported the presence of security guards or assigned police officers.

Clearly it wasnt enough if they allowed a person loaded with guns to walk in. A city can have several schools. Security cameras dont really stop anyone. Why not a dedicated officer and metal detector.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have never seen a metal detector stop a shooter.

Faux security…

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What percentage of schools with security have mass shootings? 0% ?[/quote]

In 2019, about 86 percent of students ages 12–18 reported observing one or more security cameras to monitor their school, and 75 percent of students reported the presence of security guards or assigned police officers.[/quote]

Clearly it wasnt enough if they allowed a person loaded with guns to walk in. A city can have several schools. Security cameras dont really stop anyone. Why not a dedicated officer and metal detector.[/quote]

Good question. Idk. I hope we can get there. Granted, we can't even keep drugs or weapons out of a federally secured prison. So, my expectations are not crazy high.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Faux security…

Can you post evidence of a school shooter who sucessfully went through a metal detector and armed security?

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And a corollary for you. Can you post evidence of where they stopped an active shooter?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Faux security…

Can you post evidence of a school shooter who sucessfully went through a metal detector and armed security?
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED595716.pdf

They shooter shot the security guard.

E
Legend
Legend
E
And a corollary for you. Can you post evidence of where they stopped an active shooter?

Cant really tally people who changed their mind.

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
New question….

Are we selling “tactical gear” aka bulletproof vests to anyone/everyone?

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/20/1100263364/buffalo-shooter-body-armor-fewer-regulations-than-guns

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L

Faux security…

Umm... This one... today -- who was in a shootout with police officers before he entered the building -- but he had them outgunned, so...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/24/texas-school-shooting-uvalde-robb-elementary

Law enforcement officers “engaged” the suspect when they saw him emerge from his crashed vehicle carrying a rifle and a handgun. But the gunman nevertheless managed to charge into the school building and open fire, Texas department of public safety (DPS) Sgt Erick Estrada said on CNN.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 05/25/22 06:20 AM.

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
212 mass shootings countrywide so far this year. When is the country going to get serious and do whatever is needed to stop/reduce this senseless violence? Politicians are being politicians....accomplishing virtually nothing because they don't want to lose votes by offending someone. Get off your butts and make the major changes long overdue to the 2nd Amendment. Whatever it takes people....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I am not arguing against changing some laws and also doing more to make our schools more secure, but as a former teacher I know just how hard it would be to ever stop a determined murderer. I'd say next to impossible.

Thus, I ask you all if any of you have thought about how we might want to concentrate more on creating an environment that produces fewer murderers? Just as importantly, finding ways at identifying those who are prone to such violence at an earlier age and taking steps to deal w/those people. As I said earlier, most teachers and students know which kids are exhibiting signs of being anti-social and dangerous.

For clarification purposes, I am not saying to do what I suggested in isolation. If we want tougher laws and more security than let's go w/it. But again, I don't think those two actions will ever stop a determined killer. I'd rather stop them before they ever develop.

Legend
Legend
jc

the RIP comments have already been stated, so I might as well get be reckless.....

boy, lot more comments and outrage around the country over this shooting than the one in buffalo. and why am i not surprised the latino shooter is dead while the white shooter was arrested.

regardless, i'm tired of the mental health excuses. these clowns know exactly what they're doing, regardless of demographic or upbringing.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
212 mass shootings countrywide so far this year. When is the country going to get serious and do whatever is needed to stop/reduce this senseless violence? Politicians are being politicians....accomplishing virtually nothing because they don't want to lose votes by offending someone. Get off your butts and make the major changes long overdue to the 2nd Amendment. Whatever it takes people....

Nothing will happen because the politicians care more about the money the NRA is putting in their pockets than the lives of our children.
So much for being pro life.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

I'm really sick of the left and that is why I left them. mac posts the Supermarket thread and w/in about 4-5 posts, we had cries from the left about not allowing right wingers like Tucker Carlson or whatever his name is not being allowed to give his opinions and about white supremacists. Now, w/in a couple of posts where the shooter is apparently a minority, we hear about guns. It's always the fault of the right according to those on the left.

I'm sure if the demographics of this board was more right than left, than the talk would have already started about securing our borders.

I see a common denominator........hate and bias fuels most of the opinions that ooze like a seeping septic system from supporters of both parties. Perhaps we might want to consider spreading so much hate and become a more tolerant and understanding society?

Makes me sick! Using the death of 14 children as a political platform.

You are so dead set pointing out the left.... why don't you talk about this..

https://www.businessinsider.com/tex...uts-false-claim-transgender-woman-2022-5

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Mass Shootings

Link Copied to Clipboard