Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
the defense will be at best 15 level defense
the draft is the weakest in the afc north you could not trade are entire draft for anyone of there first overall picks
round 2 there was another pick there that could have delivered a superbowl he had 1st over all athleticism .
Deshaun we traded 3 first round picks for a qb that has 90 qb rating in the playoffs and has a average margin of defeat per game of 17 points.
go ahead critisize my typing but as far as this draft goes it is a
F

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't see any way it is an F, and I am pretty objective about things. I think your expectations on drafting players is a bit high.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by jacksondawg
the defense will be at best 15 level defense
the draft is the weakest in the afc north you could not trade are entire draft for anyone of there first overall picks
round 2 there was another pick there that could have delivered a superbowl he had 1st over all athleticism .
Deshaun we traded 3 first round picks for a qb that has 90 qb rating in the playoffs and has a average margin of defeat per game of 17 points.
go ahead critisize my typing but as far as this draft goes it is a
F

rofl

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In so many years the Browns drafted rookies to come in as starters... No one for them to sit a year or two behind and learn from.

This is the first time in years I can remember the Browns draft back up type players who can give lots of competition to be starters .

This is a good thing, it means there are good starters and having a good back up is really good !

Good teams don't need first round talent, They already have it !

Imo, this has been my favorite draft since 99.

AB is kind of known for finding that mid round talent.. I believe he did very well, time will tell.

I'm excited !

T
Legend
Legend
T
I definitely see the potential for an F. Hopefully, optimistically it works out better.

For Browns love sake, I can say, I'm struggling to name a player from the 2022 draft I like better than Demetric Felton on offense, and a player I like more better than Tony Fields II on defense, and those were both late round Browns' draft picks from 2021.

There is definitely the potential that some of the picks from this year could work out, optimistically, hopefully a lot.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bonefish #1943344 05/05/22 08:41 AM
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I'm still not comfortable with our D line. We lost three starters in Jackson, McDowell, and Clowney. Jordan Elliot has only three starts. Both Taven Bryan and Chase Winovich have spoty starting history's.
Even if we get Clowney back I'd like us to grab a decent DT if there are any good ones left.

Cleats #1943351 05/05/22 09:40 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Cleats
I'm still not comfortable with our D line. We lost three starters in Jackson, McDowell, and Clowney. Jordan Elliot has only three starts. Both Taven Bryan and Chase Winovich have spoty starting history's.
Even if we get Clowney back I'd like us to grab a decent DT if there are any good ones left.

Hicks, formerly of the Chicago Bears would be a great pickup for the dline.

#gmstrong
Cleats #1943354 05/05/22 10:04 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Cleats

Elliot played a good amount tho, and he was asked to play the nose (before we started to use Day as well) a lot coming in for McDowell, which was out of position for him, (and everyone else on the roster) but everyone cannot play the 3 tech where we have Taven Bryan and Perrion Winfrey who are the most likely candates there.

And both of our UDFA DTs' signing project to NT.

Winovich was also playing out of position with NE ... he is not a LBer ... so this move should be good for him and the team as a rotational player and Wright will be give opportunities too.

Keeping Clowney around is preferred ... and his resigning would ease some concers about the state of our DL.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
AB is kind of known for finding that mid round talent..

I'm just curious, who are all of these great mid round talents Berry is known for finding? I understand fans wishing to be optimistic but one of the big complaints I've seen on this board has been the lack of ability to develop mid round talent. I do think there are some players that the jury is still out on.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1943375 05/05/22 12:08 PM
Legend
Legend

Round 3, pick 88: Jordan Elliott, DT, Missouri
Round 3, pick 97: Jacob Phillips, LB, LSU
Round 4, pick 115: Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic
Round 5, pick 160: Nick Harris, C, Washington
Round 6, pick 187: Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR, Michigan

The 2021 class is still leaving a lot to desire by comparison, but there is still Togiai, LeCounte, Hudson, Felton. I'm leaving Schwartz and Fields off that as they're not showing to be much.

That's not a bad track record right there, though. You have more than a handful of starters on a good roster coming from Day 2 and Day 3 picks.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
jc….

Anyone hear any updates on McDowell’s legal issues? Is he completely out of play for coming back?
So much upside… so many mental health issues… is the balance still there enough to give another chance?

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I haven't heard anything. Based on this past incident and the one where he went berserk in college, I'd say he is pretty much done.

I hope the guy is under medical supervision for his own good and the safety of others.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I have googled current legal status.

Nothing.

The only thing I remember reading was. He was not offered a contract. He was on a one year deal.

So, I guess he is history. From what I read. He was in a ATV accident that cause brain trama.

He played last year. He was in a gym working out. All was fine. Then the incident.

That is it. Nothing since.

It is a shame. He showed promise and I am sorry that it has gone the way it did.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's really not a bad list at all.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/browns-malik-mcdowell-will-not-be-tendered/

''The Browns will not tender McDowell as an exclusive-rights free agent because of an arrest in January, Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reports.
McDowell was arrested on three charges in Florida, which triggered Cleveland's decision to move on from the 25-year-old defensive tackle. The Browns began to revamp the interior of their defensive line when they agreed to terms with Taven Bryan. McDowell and Malik Jackson served as the starting defensive tackles in 2021, but neither is expected to return this coming season.''

1 member likes this: FATE
Cleats #1943404 05/05/22 02:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Thanks for the info, Cleats.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
PitDAWG #1943429 05/05/22 04:29 PM
Legend
Legend
Yup. I don't know if he's hitting home runs there, but he's definitely hitting singles and doubles pretty consistently.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Yup. I don't know if he's hitting home runs there, but he's definitely hitting singles and doubles pretty consistently.

You win baseball with base hits.

PitDAWG #1943461 05/05/22 08:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
AB is kind of known for finding that mid round talent..

I'm just curious, who are all of these great mid round talents Berry is known for finding? I understand fans wishing to be optimistic but one of the big complaints I've seen on this board has been the lack of ability to develop mid round talent. I do think there are some players that the jury is still out on.

First off I never said great, I said finding mid round talent, to answer your question Pit it would be ..

Rnd 4 pick 110 Hudson

Rnd 4 pick 132 Togiai

Rnd 5 pick 153 Fields

Rnd 5 pick 169 LeCounte

Rnd 6 pick 211 Felton

Shwartz was a 3rd rounder at pick 91 that one is still a question, the others contributed.

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Seems to me like most of Berry's picks have been good, except for his 3rd round picks:

Schwartz
Jordan Elliott
Jacob Phillips

You'd like a little more production out of your 3rd round picks. Hopefully that doesn't carry over into this year's picks, though I didn't like them much (I did like the Bell pick though).

All the other rounds, I feel like he's done a pretty good job finding talent.

Legend
Legend
If the price of him hitting on his 1st, 2nd, and 4th thru 7th round picks is that he completely whiffs on his 3rd rounders, I'll take it.

Browns is the Browns

FrankZ #1943589 05/06/22 05:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Think about the baseballs' love of stats; think "slugging percentage" here as well. We are on base much more with some of Berry's body of work.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
As Savage said, homeruns are great, but singles and doubles are good as well.

Too bad he didn't get many of those either.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
This draft is growing on me. A lot of these guys, Winfrey, Thomas, Bell etc. seem very intriguing and wee great picks where we got them. I love the York pick. The one I can’t get my head around is the cornerback with our first pick. Don’t understand going CB and that particular guy seemed like a reach. Berry is a lot better at than I am, but am I missing something?

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
The Big G #1943706 05/07/22 11:44 PM
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by The Big G
This draft is growing on me. A lot of these guys, Winfrey, Thomas, Bell etc. seem very intriguing and wee great picks where we got them. I love the York pick. The one I can’t get my head around is the cornerback with our first pick. Don’t understand going CB and that particular guy seemed like a reach. Berry is a lot better at than I am, but am I missing something?

I think they drafted Emerson to defend against stronger TEs like Kelce and Kittle. He can play press-corner on bigger receiver-type tight ends.

If you are playing a 4-2-5, you have corners covering two receivers and a tight end.

I do know it is difficult finding press-cover corners. Even though Emerson is not fast he is good at covering the big "slower" receivers.

I can say I would have made a different pick. It is obvious Berry is seeing this differently. It is hard arguing against the picks. Everyone has their favorites. I guess time will tell who is right.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt time will tell.

I trust that Woods and Stefanski will work the different combinations and settle in on the combinations that works the best.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bugs #1943717 05/08/22 08:46 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by bugs
Originally Posted by The Big G

I think they drafted Emerson to defend against stronger TEs like Kelce and Kittle. He can play press-corner on bigger receiver-type tight ends.

If you are playing a 4-2-5, you have corners covering two receivers and a tight end.

I do know it is difficult finding press-cover corners. Even though Emerson is not fast he is good at covering the big "slower" receivers.

I can say I would have made a different pick. It is obvious Berry is seeing this differently. It is hard arguing against the picks. Everyone has their favorites. I guess time will tell who is right.

Interesting take. I had not before heard the angle of Emerson covering TE's...but it makes sense.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
He does seem to be more of a safety than a corner at this level.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think we are looking for DBs that can play any of the corners and slot as well as come in at a safety position on passing downs. versatile DBs

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

Most of the scouting reports on Martin Emerson talk about him being a good press man CB, but if he fails to get his hands on them and they get a free release, then because he is so big, receivers can easily stack him and come backs and curls are not going to be his strong suit (which the opponents will think to exploit if given the chance. ) ... this to me is worrisome and it can also lead to penalties in an attempt to recover.

But, whenever I listen to AB and the coaches talk about Emerson, they talk about him being a good fit for our zone schemes, which makes this selection make more since ... because then he can then use his length now and (as he shows on tape) keeping his head on a swivel, quickly diagnosing the play and use his physicality in pursuit ... now this would be using him to his strengths, and this makes me like this pick more, because it sounds like we know how to use him, being contrary to what the scouting reports believe.

Martin will be asked to play man coverage from time to time, perhaps even as matchup with a bigger WR, but we are not a press man defense the majority of the time and that's not why we drafted him ... which I like.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1943840 05/09/22 10:32 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, we run a lot of zone coverages. Cover 3 and Quarters seem to be the most prevalent.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Yeah, we run a lot of zone coverages. Cover 3 and Quarters seem to be the most prevalent.

Yeah, I was venting some what, because I have seen quite a few post Draft presentations ... who think that the Emerson selection means that we will become a press man team ... but we could have done that with the players we have already if we where going to do that, and I think (and disagree w/ them) he will be a better zone CB then he would be in a predominantly press man coverage scheme, depending on who is is being asked to cover.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1943856 05/09/22 12:58 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I agree w/you about us already having Ward and Greedy, who are suited to play press-man. I didn't mention Newsome because I haven't watched him closely enough to know, but maybe he is good at it, too? Just not sure.

Press-man can be effective, but NFL OC's will destroy it if you run it too much of the time. Mixing up coverages is essential in making the QB make the correct pre-snap reads, forcing QBs and receivers to make sight adjustments and hot reads, and slowing down a QB's progressions. Something we are seeing more and more of in the NFL are teams who are playing mixed coverages. For example, playing Cover 2, which is playing Cover 4 on one side and Cover 2 on the other side. I really think forcing a QB to take more time to recognize the Coverages is a huge key into stopping an offense.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Here is a simple, easy to understand, example of what I am talking about.

[Linked Image from cdn.vox-cdn.com]

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I agree w/you about us already having Ward and Greedy, who are suited to play press-man. I didn't mention Newsome because I haven't watched him closely enough to know, but maybe he is good at it, too? Just not sure.

Press-man can be effective, but NFL OC's will destroy it if you run it too much of the time. Mixing up coverages is essential in making the QB make the correct pre-snap reads, forcing QBs and receivers to make sight adjustments and hot reads, and slowing down a QB's progressions. Something we are seeing more and more of in the NFL are teams who are playing mixed coverages. For example, playing Cover 2, which is playing Cover 4 on one side and Cover 2 on the other side. I really think forcing a QB to take more time to recognize the Coverages is a huge key into stopping an offense.

I was typing fast........see the part where I said, "For example, playing Cover 2, ..." That should have read as "Cover 6." You can see what I wrote afterwards how it makes sense. Cover 4 on one side and Cover 2 on the other. I really apologize if I confused anyone. Sorry.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Just to note 100% of the Browns drafted players in 2022 appear to be 100% biological, with no bionic parts yet! I wonder if that will always be the case.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2022 NFL Season 2022 NFL Draft Draft Grades

Link Copied to Clipboard