Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know. In a odd way, maybe sports takes on a more important role in todays world. Not many things bring people together who otherwise might not hang together at all the way sports does. We all just identify as fans of a team. It doesn't matter if you are black, white, rich, poor, educated, uneducated, republican, democrat, white collar, blue collar...etc. For a few hours, no matter the sport, we join forces and don't give a damn about the other things.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1945825 05/20/22 04:28 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think we are disagreeing. My point is that some of us don't want the political, social, legal system, religious beliefs, etc to be a focal point of our entertainment. A lot of people watch sports to get away from hearing the crap fest of the know-it-alls on the real issues of our country.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we agree 100%.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
There's a difference in wanting people to understanding your position and trying to convince people to come to your side of the situation. This is an ongoing situation that directly impacts the team and will until it's resolved. As such it will be discussed at least until it's resolved. That's just something you're going to have to learn to deal with it. We didn't create the situation, we're responding to a situation that was purposefully brought directly to us by Haslam. Claiming any of this is "political, social, religious beliefs" is doing nothing more than circumventing how this is a huge issue that will directly, and already is effecting the Browns. Is it a legal issue? It certainly is. And people have a choice not to read it if they so choose rather than trying to throw shade on those who discuss it. Maybe if you don't like the legal issues brought into it you should oppose the team going out and signing a player with a ton of legal issues to a 230 million dollar contract rather than blame some of us for discussing it. Or maybe not.

I do find it odd that you listed issues that concern women in your list of more important things as if this isn't a situation doesn't directly involve women. Unwanted sexual incidents by men have been a women's issue for as long as any of the issues you mentioned. They have gone under reported and under prosecuted forever. Yet that doesn't make your list. Things that make you go hmmm for $500.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Ballpeen #1945856 05/20/22 06:52 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I don't know. In a odd way, maybe sports takes on a more important role in todays world. Not many things bring people together who otherwise might not hang together at all the way sports does. We all just identify as fans of a team. It doesn't matter if you are black, white, rich, poor, educated, uneducated, republican, democrat, white collar, blue collar...etc. For a few hours, no matter the sport, we join forces and don't give a damn about the other things.

but, in the most Human was possible. None of those things matter and we all come together and are one, banded together by our team, all rooting for a common goal..... against that other group of people and their colors and their team and city that is unified against us. laugh

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PitDAWG #1945884 05/20/22 10:58 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by bonefish
"But what happens off the field doesn't matter. Got it."

I don't think you do.

It matters but I don't control it. Nothing I do changes a thing. How I feel about it? Matters to me alone.

If Watson is scum? How I feel does not change him. Likewise if he is a good guy. I don't feel a need to pass character judgement on every player.

I don't know these people. I am not on a jury to determine their guilt or innocence. When this all reaches a conclusion. I may think he is scum.

That does not mean I want the Browns to lose if he is the quarterback.

Mike Tyson is a convicted rapest. I don't hold a high opinion of Mike Tyson. I still went to his fights. I didn't go hoping he would win. I went for the excitement of the competition.

I am ok with the guy in the mirror.

And I have no problem with any of that. I want to concentrate the part in bold. Much as yourself I have no control over anything someone else or the decisions that this owner and FO made. What I do have control over is how I react to it. I have control over me. I have control over my decision to support it or not. I'm not going to try to justify to myself that I can separate the person for the player. I'm not going to try to convince myself the people who own and control this team didn't make the decision to take on this player no matter the implications.

Now maybe you don't feel the need to do that and that's fine. Maybe there are a certain amount of people that have no problem separating the player from the person, the teams decisions and making that distinction. And that's fine if that's the way you're wired. I'm just explaining that that's not the way I work.

For me there are 32 NFL teams. I love the game. Each Sunday there are several other games I can watch for the "excitement". And believe me if the Browns are on national TV or are a part of my local coverage I will watch them. This doesn't mean I hate the Browns.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not going to root against the Browns. You see I've been on one form of this forum or another since 1999. In that time I've met a lot of good Browns fans. I've made friends with a lot of them. I'm not going to root against a team that my friends are such huge fans of. I'm just no longer a "fanatic" of this team. Each of us see things on an individual basis. My conscience simply will not allow it.

We all have priorities and where things fall on that priority list. The fact that there are other people whose list is different than mine is not something I will pass judgement on. I'm just hoping people can understand why mine may be quite different than their own.

Not directed entirely at you, general observation.

Everybody here is a fan of the team. We all get that. Some individuals on the team, coaching staff, or FO will be highly regarded by many and others highly criticized and often condemned by fans expressing their personal feelings, opinions, and perspectives. I don't think any more or less of posters for that, that's how we express our fandom. I have every right to dislike OBJ. Nobody can challenge that right, but they can challenge my perspective. And if everybody would accept that and stop attacking each other over every difference in opinion, the dialogue would be better for all. I hear your stance and guys like Vers, tab, peen, mg, swish, etc. Nobody is in 100% agreement with each other 100% of the time, so embrace it, don't fight it.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/20/22 11:02 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: FATE
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Being a Fan

Link Copied to Clipboard