Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
SuperBrown #1949954 06/11/22 05:34 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Jacoby Brissett is not a good QB. He's going to make Baker look like Justin Herbert.

Doesn't matter. Jacoby is the starter for the next 2 years minimum.

We'll see. First, I question the 2 years you mention. Second, I wouldn't sleep on Josh Dobbs. It seems to be a foregone conclusion that Brissett will be the starter, and maybe he will if that is the attitude the coaching staff take.

In some ways. I think Dobbs might be the better option in a pinch hitter role. I don't think you lose much in the way of arm talent with Dobbs but pick up a lot in the way of his moving in the pocket and outside the pocket. Dobbs also had a high GPA in Aerospace engineering, so I think you are also gaining something between the ears, for what that is worth.

I hope we at least make this somewhat of a competition and not just one in name only. I think we have all seen these "competitions" where one guy gets all the first team reps and another always playing with guys to soon be cut.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1949956 06/11/22 07:48 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
peen, my wife and son are huge Steeler fans. My wife had season tickets when I met her back in the 80s. She lived just just outside of Pittsburgh. Anyway, they say that Dobbs does not have the arm strength to be a starting qb. However, he is very intelligent and that Ben always would seek him out and talk to him on the bench rather than one of the coaches. He's a great team guy and knows the game. He just doesn't have the arm talent to start.

Jacoby will probably be the starter unless the Watson case takes an unexpected turn. I think Baker is a better qb than Jacoby, but the Herbert comparison was dumb. Last year, Baker ranked 30th in QBR at 63.6, while Jacoby was 15th at 76.3. That's one year and not a tell-all stat, but the difference is not as great as that earlier comment suggests. I also think that folks keep forgetting that there are reasons for the Browns souring on Baker other than his play on the field. It's a big reason why they wanted to move on from him and also a reason other teams are afraid to trade for him.

The bottom line is that I don't think the Browns can win in the super AFC w/out Watson at QB. Neither Jacoby or Baker are the answer.

bonefish #1949961 06/11/22 08:35 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
As I could agree with the first part of CFRS' post, Jacoby Brissett is not a good Quarterback.

If your team was going to play a team you had to beat, perhaps any AFC team from last year, including the Dolphins and Broncos' who had the worst AFC QB situations of teams in the mix. (not the jets, c'mon they're not a real team)
..If your team was going to play a team you had to beat, and you found out last year on the game week, that Jacoby Brissett was going to start for them instead of their regular quarterback,

You would have breathed a sigh of relief because Jacoby Brissett is not a good quarterback. (Let's see if that would have held up for the 12 teams in the playoff mix of last year.
The Raiders, Raider QB
The Chargers, (bobby hebert' Justin herbert' whichever, hate that dude)
(while they're ^ mentioned may as well throw in his clone from the AZ cards, blagoyavich? The Cards Qb last year, Kerry kollins, or rob blagoyavich, I'm having trouble remembering the name would have also been a harder out than Brissett.)
Back to the 12 afc teams:
The Broncos, ... Drew Lock? emm maybe, he sucks but Bridgewater? You'd breath a sigh of relief that Brissett were starting for the week.
The Chiefs? Chief Qb or Brissett? Brisset is not a good qb.

The Ravens? Lamar Jackson, or Brissett? (even Huntley played better)
The Browns? Baker Mayfield or Brissett? (you'd breath a sigh of relief if you were another team playing against the Browns and found out Brissett was starting. ( Case Keenum, or Brissett? Hmm?)

The Steelers, ?? or Brissett? Brissett would be an easier game than, well, well at the time I figured Haskins was a better Qb, RIP, and ?? the hall of famer? though old and damaged armed' was a better qb, but, their back up? Maybe Brissett was better than their backup? what's his name.

The Bengals, 2 Qb's probably better than Brissett, because their (? Anderson, Allen, adams? backup, I think did well)

The Titans, Tannehill was better than Brissett would have been.
the Colts?, well, Carson Wentz sucks! and often Wentz would outright LOSE games because of his bad play, but that wouldn't have made Brissett a "good" QB.
The Texans, ? I don't even know who they had. A push.
The Jaguars? ... ya know, That rookie whats' his name didn't play too too bad, just dumb and like a rookie, probably you'd breath a sigh of relief if you found out Brissett was the starter for a week though.

The Jets. Cm'on they aren't a real team with those loser QB's they've had as their last 3 Qbs.
The ... Dolphins, emm, kay, Tua stunk, but, well he might make a play among his mistakes that cost them games, but, ehh it's kind of a one is wider one is taller, comparing two different things but that doesn't make Brissett a good qb you'd hate more to face.

The Patriots, ... I don't think Coach whats' his name would allow for Birssett, more than a couple weeks before he went out and got some other QB that gives you half a chance.
The Bills, Josh Allen? You'd breath a sigh of relief if Brissett were starting for the week.

The Browns offense? They had trouble getting 17 points as a team last year.
and Baker is a much better quarterback than Brissett, and , they took Rashard Higgins' and his abilty to score out of the equation.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You mean that's how he ranked with a torn labrum. How noble of you.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1950631 06/14/22 01:24 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: AZBrown, Versatile Dog
bonefish #1951419 06/17/22 11:16 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

There has been some discussion about our personnel packages moving forward w/Watson. I found this in a larger article. I agree w/the guy's takes on what and how much to use each of the personal packages.

Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt together again

Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt could see more time on the field together.Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com

It’s always a topic -- and probably an overdone one -- but it is intriguing to think of how a defensive coordinator and, more importantly, a defensive player might deal with a play where they aren’t sure if Chubb, Hunt or Watson has the football.

We saw the two together on the field enough last week to think maybe the dynamic duo could be unleashed more than they have in the past.

Seeing how those packages evolve between now and Week 1 -- and beyond -- is intriguing.

Personnel groupings
As the spring and summer go along, the personnel groupings should be interesting. The Browns aren’t built to run the amount of 13 personnel they did last season, nor should they. Watson, however, is no stranger to tight ends as the Texans ran 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends) 28% of the time in 2020, 30% of their offensive snaps in 2019 and 35% in 2018.

In the melding of Kevin Stefanski’s offense and what Watson does well, 12 personnel feels like a component.

How much do we see 12, something Watson knows, and how much do we see 11, the grouping Watson used most in the last three seasons. There are a lot of possibilities.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...ore-to-watch-at-browns-ota-practice.html

O
Legend
Legend
O
Haven't we been teased with this like every offseason we've had both these guys?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
We've all been screaming for them to do more of this for years, and they never do.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Freddie used them together some later in the year.

I found that we will probably run more 12 personnel mixed in w/some 11 while probably using 13 personnel more noteworthy. I would like to see us use the two-back thing on occasion.

bonefish #1951776 06/18/22 10:02 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by bonefish
IMO every team who went after Watson is no different than the Browns.

Expectations? Lots of factors determine failure and success.

Once you are in the playoffs. One play can be the difference.

I think for sure we should expect playoffs.

The AFC is loaded with talent. AFC title game? The Bills have a really good team. Same coach. Same system. Same quarterback. Good defense.
Same coach? Same system? Same quarterback? Good defense? What are they thinking?

Originally Posted by bonefish
Ravens were torched with injuries last season. They will be tough. Bengals will be able to address weaknesses. They should be improved.

Denver has a good team with Wilson.

Chiefs as long as Reid is the coach and Mahomes the quarterback. They will be good.

Chargers, Raiders, Titans, Pats, Colts all very capable teams.

It will not take much to lose a playoff game with the talent in the AFC.
How would the bengals have fared/faired (Fared, I think) against the bills?

If the Bills, how would the Rams in the SB have fared against the Bills. Hmm. ( The Bills could have won the SB last year.) It's Chris Rocks' fault, and all/ know that because, in an around 2002 Chris Rock said, about cheating on a woman, that you wouldn't get any lovin until the bills would win the super bowl.
... the stillers beat the bills in game one last year.

The stillers had Cam heyword at Dt, so when push comes to shove, well the Browns have, (not great) this year at the interior DL, so when push comes to shove the Browns won't be alright, in the run defense.

Same Coach and same quarterback? That would not work, just ask the Browns and their win-loss record since 2006, you change them every 18 months just like the oil change in your car. rofl

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Freddie used them together some later in the year.

I found that we will probably run more 12 personnel mixed in w/some 11 while probably using 13 personnel more noteworthy. I would like to see us use the two-back thing on occasion.
More 12? who is the 2 in that 12. ... ( it would be funny if it weren't so sad,) It feels like nobody, ( No Cleveland Browns offenseive player on THE PLANET) gets more snaps than Harrison Freakin Bryant, TE. And that that entire offense runs through how well he plays on the day? ... It would be funny if it weren't sad. frown

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Offense

Link Copied to Clipboard