M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Deshaun Watson’s lawyer “not optimistic” about HBO’s treatment of the case

Posted by Mike Florio on May 21, 2022, 1:45 PM EDT
link

On Tuesday night, HBO’s Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel will debut a story that includes interviews with “several” of the women accusing Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson of sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions. Watson’s lawyer, Rusty Hardin, does not have high expectations for the finished product.

“I don’t know what it’s going to be like, but I’m not optimistic,” Hardin told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I believe they’ll air the accusations of the women without attempting to look behind it to see what kind of merit do they have.”

Hardin has tried in the past to get the media to focus on the merits, or lack thereof, of the specific allegations. His efforts didn’t take. He eventually stopped trying.

“My approach all along was that we were not going to win the battle of public opinion,’’ Hardin told Cabot, not mentioning the fact that did indeed tried to sway media and fans Watson’s way in 2021, with multiple press conferences and the release of evidence that potentially undermines the allegations, such as text messages. “And my goal has always been to have these cases examined by law enforcement and I strongly believed that trained investigators would ultimately conclude that there was nothing to them from a criminal standpoint and that’s where my focus has always been.”

The problem was, frankly, that attorney Tony Buzbee seized the early momentum in the court of public opinion. By the time Watson’s camp tried to join the battle, the battle had in many respects already been lost. So now the story has become that the strategy has always been to forget about public opinion and focus on the strict legal principles that determine whether misconduct did or didn’t happen.

“I thought that’s what the NFL teams cared most about and with the exception of Miami, that’s true,” Hardin told Cabot. By singling out Miami, Hardin is alluding to the fact that the Dolphins refused to trade for Watson in 2021 unless all 22 civil cases were settled.

Regardless of the reasons for Hardin’s abandonment of any effort to win in the court of public opinion, the fact remains that public opinion ultimately fuels every decision made by the NFL under the Personal Conduct Policy. The vast majority of American businesses don’t take action against employees for off-duty misconduct, especially if there is no arrest or conviction. Even then, most employers as to most offenses allow the employee to remain employed, as long as the employee is physically able to show up for work.

The NFL’s effort to police the private lives of players comes entirely from P.R. considerations. Fans and media expect real consequences for certain type of behavior, regardless of whether it’s irrelevant to the player’s work responsibilities. Thus, at the end of the day, public opinion and fan/media expectations will influence the decisions made by the league.

For example, Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott was never arrested or even sued. He was still suspended six games in 2017, based on allegations of domestic violence. Why? Because it happened three years after the Commissioner nearly lost his job due to the perception that he was not aggressive enough in punishing former NFL running back Ray Rice.

The Commissioner, as explained in detail in Playmakers, won’t make that same mistake again. Thus, regardless of what happens in a court of law, the verdict in the court of public opinion will greatly influence the Commissioner. Anyone who doesn’t realize that doesn’t understand how the NFL metes out its specific brand of gridiron justice.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looking more into this story, I cannot believe the Grand Jury let this guy off.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Looking more into this story, it's looking more and more like a witch hunt.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

Based on what?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Please don't ask me any questions. I was starting to trust you and then you went off the rails last night. Yet again. You can go ahead and keep slamming me, but I am not going to respond to you for the foreseeable future.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Please don't ask me any questions. I was starting to trust you and then you went off the rails last night. Yet again. You can go ahead and keep slamming me, but I am not going to respond to you for the foreseeable future.

I responded to you in the manner you presented yourself to me and the rest of the board. You just made a statement / claim that the DW situation with 22 women making separate claims is beginning to look like a witch hunt. If you can't back that up with an explanation - so be it. But you've certainly belittled many posters who have made similar claims in the other direction. I guess that's just the way it is.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by SuperBrown

What's not to believe? The entire story is about the guy getting off.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

You prove your intelligence perfectly with that statement.

Have you watched any of the interviews with this piece of (censored) claimants? I doubt it.

Have you dug into each claimants side of the story? I doubt it.

I bet you already have a DESHONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN #4 jersey dont ya???? Get outta here...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Read closely:

Regardless of the reasons for Hardin’s abandonment of any effort to win in the court of public opinion, the fact remains that public opinion ultimately fuels every decision made by the NFL under the Personal Conduct Policy. The vast majority of American businesses don’t take action against employees for off-duty misconduct, especially if there is no arrest or conviction. Even then, most employers as to most offenses allow the employee to remain employed, as long as the employee is physically able to show up for work.

The NFL’s effort to police the private lives of players comes entirely from P.R. considerations. Fans and media expect real consequences for certain type of behavior, regardless of whether it’s irrelevant to the player’s work responsibilities. Thus, at the end of the day, public opinion and fan/media expectations will influence the decisions made by the league.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

What's not to believe? The entire story is about the guy getting off.

You gonna have to stop with these punch lines.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Read closely:

You realize this is one person's opinion piece. You realize this article is slanted "Anti-NFL" or at least "The NFL is not fair and balanced and interested in justice - only optics" which is pretty much what I have said regards believing a 10 game ban is coming come what may ... and the article is most definitely not "DW is the victim of a witch him and is probably innocent"

V
Legend
Legend
V
To the powers that be:

I get that you don't agree w/my takes, but why are 2-3 posters permitted to continually fabricate quotes from me that I never once uttered. There is no way I said that"DW is the victim of a witch him and is probably innocent." Why is that in quotation marks? I said it sounded like a witch hunt. I said the same thing when the NFL went after Ezekiel Elliot and Friel locked out the lead investigator. I never ONCE uttered that either Elliot or Watson were probably innocent. Is it possible for you guys to put a stop to these lies?

M
Legend
Legend
M
To the powers that be:

I get that you don't agree w/my takes, but why are 2-3 posters permitted to continually fabricate quotes from me that I never once uttered. There is no way I said that "DW is the victim of a witch him and is probably innocent." Why is that in quotation marks? I said it sounded like a witch hunt. I said the same thing when the NFL went after Ezekiel Elliot and Friel locked out the lead investigator. I never ONCE uttered that either Elliot or Watson were probably innocent. Is it possible for you guys to put a stop to these lies?

Originally Posted by mgh888
You realize this is one person's opinion piece. You realize this article is slanted "Anti-NFL" or at least "The NFL is not fair and balanced and interested in justice - only optics" which is pretty much what I have said regards believing a 10 game ban is coming come what may ... and the article is most definitely not "DW is the victim of a witch him and is probably innocent"

No one claimed you said that. No one is lying. You are however full of drama as usual and want to play the victim card endlessly.

V
Legend
Legend
V
To the powers that be:

It seems to me that one addresses another poster and puts words in quotation marks, he is most assuredly trying to misrepresent what the other is saying. There are 3 posters who do this over and over and over. Additionally, when one, such as myself tries to defend himself by saying that he never said such a thing, it only leads to denial and then another attempt at a new insult such as the "victim" thing. Then again, if one ignores the comments made by the same 2-3 attackers, he is said to not being able to defend his position.

Again, I understand that the powers that be are Baker fans and are upset about Watson, but as leaders of this board..........do you think it might be time to be a bit more fair in what is permitted and what is not? I think it is wrong to put things in quotes that are not true. Don't you. And I also think that there are two posters who do it intentionally to illicit a response from me so they can engage in a more hostile argument. I do not think that is fair.

I have no problem if someone like Baker and detests Watson. However, I do have a problem when people resort to lies and bullying attacks to silence an alternative opinion.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
First of all, it's MOST COMPANIES DO HAVE A PERSONAL CONDUCT POLICY that they enforce. I worked for 5 different companies during my career and every one of them had a Personal Conduct Policy that I witnessed being enforced for off-duty misconduct. Every company monitors this for P.R. considerations not only the NFL. Unless you have been living in a cocoon, surely you have seen or have heard of such action before outside the NFL.

For every instance that Buzbee supposedly is trying to manipulate the press and public opinion, Hardin has worked just as hard to work it the other way. If you don't see and believe that then I feel sorry for you because they buffaloed your azz.

Finally, there's not a person on this forum that doesn't want the Browns to field a winner and eventually get to the Super Bowl. If Watson is an upgrade to the position and enhances the Browns opportunity, then good for Cleveland. If Watson is a scum bucket that mistreats women though - NO THANK YOU! The absolute worst thing that could happen to Cleveland Browns football is for the Browns to win a Super Bowl let's say in 2022 and then find out that Watson actually sexually mistreated numerous women after the fact. A Cleveland Brown Super Bowl title tainted by a QB that the team, city, fans, and general public that had legitimate questions about his off the field scum bag actions before he played a down and then loses numerous civil suits for his inappropriate actions.

No matter what happens in 2022, if the Browns play Watson, any played game will be tainted if he indeed loses some or all the civil suits against him in 2023. Reason being is the Cleveland Browns and many fans on this forum know that there are serious questions about his behavior with the women. This is NOT saying that Watson is guilty or innocent - it's stating the fact that there are serious questions about his off-field activities. Looking the other way or pretending he's innocent until proven guilty as an out only to find out that the accusations are true will black mark the Browns for decades.

The safe and moral way to handle this is the Browns should demand that Watson clears up the civil suits before he plays a single game in a Browns uniform. Think about it for a moment, we are not talking about a single instance - we are talking about a possible serial sexual abuser taking snaps for the Cleveland Browns. If Watson plays and then loses his civil suits - that's what you have - a serial sexual abuser as our QB and the team knew there were questions about him. The shame.........................

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Read closely:

Everything is slanted one way or the other. All opinions are slanted based on those stories. It just depends on which you believe.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
We will see. But, do you really think the Browns are going to shut Watson down if the NFL doesn't suspend him. LMAO.

And btw........I know you love you some Baker, but he can't get back into the locker room after the comments he made about guys not caring about winning, can he? Do you really believe these grown-ass men are going to forgive that?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So, the question is why the hell did you insert Baker into the conversation? I don't recall a single instance of Mayfield being mentioned in the post or him playing or even a part of the Browns. So why the reference to Mayfield in a post directed entirely about Watson's issues?

I didn't say the Browns would shut down Watson. What I did say was the safe and moral way to protect the image of the team would be to tell him to clean up his issues before he plays a down. Obviously, by your LMAO comment, you don't give a crap about the image of the team as long as they play Watson. Thanks for painting that clear picture for us fans.

Last edited by steve0255; 05/21/22 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by steve0255
So, the question is why the hell did you insert Baker into the conversation? I don't recall a single instance of Mayfield being mentioned in the post or him playing or even a part of the Browns. So why the reference to Mayfield in a post directed entirely about Watson's issues?

I didn't say the Browns would shut down Watson. What I did say was the safe and moral way to protect the image of the team would be to tell him to clean up his issues before he plays a down. Obviously, by your LMAO comment, you don't give a crap about the image of the team as long as they play Watson. Thanks for painting that clear picture for us fans.

I inserted Baker into the conversation given your history of making one excuse after another for Baker and blaming everyone else for his problems. Thus, as an intelligent person, I have deducted that your obvious bias towards Watson is driven by your hope that Baker remains our qb. I get that and I respect your desire to have that happen. I'm just being the voice of reason in telling you that no way in hell does it happen after Baker publicly trashed his teammates by saying some guys do not care about winning and only care about their retirement fund. He will never be accepted in that locker room again and if truth be told, it is going to be hard for any team to ever bring him in into any locker room after he has trashed his teammates like that, his FO, Hue, and Duke. He has also bad-mouthed guys like the Texas qb and Daniel Jones. Folks can pontificate all they want about reasons why Baker wasn't traded for, but he reality is that he is not good enough to overcome his piss-poor attitude and immaturity.

In regards to the Watson situation..........I have maintained that I will let the legal procedures play out. Watson was not indicted in criminal court. Once that happened, multiple teams tried to trade for him. That is a fact. Indy was ruled out by the Texans because they are in the same division. Other teams did not have the capital to make the trade. Four teams agreed to the outrageous demands that the Texans asked for. The Browns ended up winning the war. Had NO or ATL acquired him, the outrage of the allegations would be almost silent. The driving force behind the outrage are the media and fans from Cleveland and most are Baker Mayfield fans.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Deshaun Watson’s lawyer says “no settlement talks are in the offing”

Posted by Mike Florio on May 21, 2022, 7:29 PM EDT
link

Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson still faces 22 civil lawsuits accusing him of sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions. At one point last year, 18 of the cases were ready to be settled; currently, none are.

Lawyer Rusty Hardin told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that “no settlement talks are in the offing.” PD link

If the cases don’t settle, they’ll eventually have to go to trial. It’s now likely that the trials won’t begin until 2023. And it will be difficult if not impossible to conduct 22 trials during the 2023 offseason, especially if Watson intends to participate fully in the offseason program.

So what will the NFL do? Wait for the cases to end? Impose discipline now and be done with it? Discipline Watson now, while keeping the door open to discipline him later, based on how the cases unfold?

Regardless of what the league does, the cases will linger. It’s a burden that Texans fans previously had to carry. Browns fans get to deal with it now, even though Watson has more than enough money to end these cases today, if he wanted to.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
NFL wants to meet again with Deshaun Watson, and Browns should be concerned – Terry Pluto

Updated: May. 22, 2022, 5:19 a.m. | Published: May. 22, 2022, 5:18 a.m.
link

By Terry Pluto, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio – My guess is most Browns fans are already sick of the Deshaun Watson case.

They probably want the NFL to make a ruling about a possible suspension. No? Yes? If so, how many games?

I don’t know much about the case, and neither do most people – especially many expressing strong opinions. The latest is the NFL will consider the 2-year suspension given to Trevor Bauer for his having “rough sex” by Major League Baseball when it comes to determining a penalty for Watson.

That’s two different types of cases, two different leagues.

The NFL is expected to meet with Watson again, according to a story by cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot. She talked to Rusty Hardin, the lawyer for Watson. He expects the NFL to make a decision by June or July. Watson talked to the NFL for three days earlier in the week. Apparently, the league wants to know more about his situation.

“This idea that [the NFL] hasn’t aggressively investigated this is totally, totally false as evidenced by the fact he’s already spent three days with them,’’ Hardin told Cabot. “They’ve obviously done a bunch of research and done a lot of work themselves and they say need to do some more.”

There are 24 massage therapists who have accused Watson of some type of sexual misconduct. Twenty-two have filed civil lawsuits. Two Texas grand juries heard the case, then refused to indict him on criminal charges. That is something Watson’s lawyers will stress. But the NFL has suspended several other players when criminal charges weren’t filed.

A COMPLICATED CASE

Watson has produced 18 message therapists who say they have treated the QB and everything was proper. There are names attached to those statements.
Then the attorney for those suing Watson filed a motion demanding Watson answer questions about his sexual history with all or any of the 18 therapists who are supporting him. A Texas judge ruled Watson must comply with that request.

This is a complicated case, both for the civil court system and the NFL. Something else is clear – this is an unsavory case.

Among other things, Watson has used at least 40 different massage therapists. Most athletes have very few therapists and doctors of any type whom they allow to treat them. Watson has a lot of explaining to do about why he was shopping for so many different therapists.

During one of the depositions given by Watson, he admitted one of the therapists cried, according to a USA Today story.

According to USA’s Today Brent Schrotenboer, Watson said in the deposition: “She was teary-eyed and I was trying to figure out what was going on. So, I assumed that she was uncomfortable for whatever reason. And we talked about working in the future. And so, I said, `We can work in the future. Just let me know.’ And then I sent my apologies as whatever reason she was teary-eyed for.”

The therapist didn’t reply to Watson, according to the lawsuit.

THE PRICE IS STEEP

Before the deal was done, I didn’t want the Browns to come near Watson because there are so many pending off-field issues and a possible suspension. Then you add in the $230 million contract, the highest fully guaranteed in NFL history. Watson also has a no-trade clause.

The Browns also traded six draft picks to Houston, including first-round selections in 2022, 2023 and 2024 as part of the deal with Houston.

Watson has denied doing anything wrong, but the fact is his camp offered a $100,000 settlement to at least one of the therapists in 2021. Some of Watson’s accusers are going public with an HBO interview this week. That won’t be pretty.

While public relations isn’t everything, this move has upset some Browns fans. I’ve heard from them. Many of them are women who love the team.

I’ve also heard from many fans who are sick of their team not having consistently effective QB play. They are willing to believe Watson will work through his off-field problems and becomes an elite QB. Winning will take care of everything, is their opinion.

But first, we wait for the NFL to rule.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by steve0255

I inserted Baker into the conversation given your history of making one excuse after another for Baker and blaming everyone else for his problems. Thus, as an intelligent person, I have deducted that your obvious bias towards Watson is driven by your hope that Baker remains our qb. I get that and I respect your desire to have that happen. I'm just being the voice of reason in telling you that no way in hell does it happen after Baker publicly trashed his teammates by saying some guys do not care about winning and only care about their retirement fund. He will never be accepted in that locker room again and if truth be told, it is going to be hard for any team to ever bring him in into any locker room after he has trashed his teammates like that, his FO, Hue, and Duke. He has also bad-mouthed guys like the Texas qb and Daniel Jones. Folks can pontificate all they want about reasons why Baker wasn't traded for, but he reality is that he is not good enough to overcome his piss-poor attitude and immaturity.

In regards to the Watson situation..........I have maintained that I will let the legal procedures play out. Watson was not indicted in criminal court. Once that happened, multiple teams tried to trade for him. That is a fact. Indy was ruled out by the Texans because they are in the same division. Other teams did not have the capital to make the trade. Four teams agreed to the outrageous demands that the Texans asked for. The Browns ended up winning the war. Had NO or ATL acquired him, the outrage of the allegations would be almost silent. The driving force behind the outrage are the media and fans from Cleveland and most are Baker Mayfield fans.

The presumption on your part that I ever wanted Baker to remain the Browns QB clearly shows how tainted your opinion is on the subject. You have spent time on hundreds of posts belittling Mayfield for his time with the Browns while equally defending others poor play for whatever reason to satisfy your own disdain for Mayfield. Your bias claim against Watson because of Mayfield is unfounded and factless. In fact, you cannot find a single post in this forum where I have once mentioned that Mayfield should be the starter instead of or in spite of Watson. That is your own personal fantasy land that you are living in to justify your undying support for a player that has serious baggage that until settled will leave a definite black mark on the franchise. As far as the trade goes, by your standard, Jimmy G not being traded yet is also because he is not good enough to overcome his piss-poor credentials. In fact, the main reason for both of these players not being traded yet is because they are both PUP at this time and teams do not invest in players with question marks if they will even be able to play in 2022. I highly doubt that either player could pass the physical that would be required by the trade at this time. Taking on guaranteed contracts without knowing whether the player would be available or not would just be plain stupid.

As for Watson, this is not about ability. This is about his treatment of women as a serial sexual abuser. Multiple teams attempting to trade for Watson because of his football abilities has nothing to do with his off the field antics. At this point, there is only one team documented that inquired about Watson but refused to follow through unless the civil suits were cleared up prior to the trade in Miami. You do not know, nor do I, whether the other teams considering Watson also had that stipulation or not. At this point, it doesn't matter since the Browns pulled off the trade without that stipulation obviously. Playing Watson in 2022 with the knowledge that even at 50/50 chance that he is responsible for abusing these women is going to leave a black mark on the Cleveland franchise for years to come if it comes to fruition that Watson loses the civil suits. This is not just a Cleveland problem, it's an entire NFL problem as evident by their current investigation into the civil claims against Watson by the women.

You my friend have a Baker problem as evident by your constant posting for justification of your view. Yet you're willing and clearly supporting the strong possibility that the Browns may field a serial sexual abuser as their QB before these women get a chance to face their abuser in a court of law. That is not a good look for the Browns or the NFL and the fallout could be extreme. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see some type of protests at every stadium the Browns visit, if Watson is playing, before these civil suits are heard. That will not be a good look for the NFL or Cleveland.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
There are several links that Terry Pluto included within his latest article, posted above...click on "NFL will consider the 2-year suspension" and it takes you to the story...

‘NFL Source’ Says Deshaun Watson Could Face Unprecedented Suspension Because of Trevor Bauer, According to NFL Insider Josina Anderson...

Pluto's link below takes you to that story.

link

M
Legend
Legend
M
My post talked about what the ARTICLE said. It did not talk about what you said or didn't say. You made a comment that "Looking more into this story, it's looking more and more like a witch hunt." and you used the article to justify it. I explained the article implied no such thing.

For someone who just wrote that you bring up Baker because you are intelligent - your comprehension skills are flat out bad, or rather they are clouded by your always wanting to be a victim and a desire to call others "Liar" when they did no such thing. It's a complete manipulation on your part. It is akin to every time you use the "alternate reality" line to dismiss someone's opinion have them crying and whining "to the powers that be" and saying you are calling them a liar each time you say that. And you say it a LOT.

Just stop. Admit you are wrong and claiming things that were never said and never implied. What was written and what was meant and discussed was the content of the ARTICLE.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
There are several links that Terry Pluto included within his latest article, posted above...click on "NFL will consider the 2-year suspension" and it takes you to the story...

‘NFL Source’ Says Deshaun Watson Could Face Unprecedented Suspension Because of Trevor Bauer, According to NFL Insider Josina Anderson...

Pluto's link below takes you to that story.

link

I sometimes sort of like Grossi's curmudgeonly ways - I honestly believe he's a fan of the team and get's just as depressed when the plan goes upside down .... but I wouldn't quote or use him as a journalistic source of insider insight any more than I would Mary K Cabot. I would suggest no one knows what the NFL is leaning towards - probably not even the NFL at this point.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

All the posts still exist, so I guess putting statements that were never made into quotation marks in a lame attempt to discredit another poster is acceptable. Marvelous.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

All the posts still exist, so I guess putting statements that were never made into quotation marks in a lame attempt to discredit another poster is acceptable. Marvelous.

YES THEY DO.

My post talked about what the ARTICLE said. It did not talk about what you said or didn't say. You made a comment that "Looking more into this story, it's looking more and more like a witch hunt." and you used the article to justify it. I explained the article implied no such thing.

For someone who just wrote that you bring up Baker because you are intelligent - your comprehension skills are flat out bad, or rather they are clouded by your always wanting to be a victim and a desire to call others "Liar" when they did no such thing. It's a complete manipulation on your part. It is akin to every time you use the "alternate reality" line to dismiss someone's opinion have them crying and whining "to the powers that be" and saying you are calling them a liar each time you say that. And you say it a LOT.

Just stop. Admit you are wrong and claiming things that were never said and never implied. What was written and what was meant and discussed was the content of the ARTICLE.

Here's one quote:
j/c:

The "Liar" - "Alternate Reality" and the "To the Powers that Be" - are all so prevalent I didn't need to cut and paste.

So what you just posted is a deceitful, deflective, lie. I'd try to call it something else but it is what it is. You wrote that post after my response. I have highlighted each item written in quotation marks and you have written each of them. In previous posts when referencing the article I clear state in writing for everyone to see "the article" .... Stop It vers, you just look worse and are cluttering up the board with non-football stuff because I'm not going to not respond to your lies and deception when you are implying lied.

Legend
Legend
Watson's lawyer believes NFL's initial decision will come June or July

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

The two looming issues for the Cleveland Browns still have no certainty of having conclusions anytime soon. Connected to each other, the acquisition of QB Deshaun Watson with the possibility of him being suspended and the divorce with former QB Baker Mayfield have been the team’s primary storylines this offseason.

While few think Mayfield will be around for the start of training camp, anything is possible at this point.

Many believe, given an agreement between the two lawyers in the civil cases, that Watson’s possible suspension could be delayed until the 2023 season. That feeling changed last week when the NFL flew to Houston to meet with the quarterback.

Now, according to Watson’s lawyer Rusty Hardin, there is an expectation that the league will make a decision before the civil cases conclude:

“We should know what their position is initially sometime in June, and then everybody will figure out if there’s going to be a hearing about it or can people work things out, or whatever,” Hardin told cleveland.com by phone on Friday evening. “The only thing that’s certain is that they want to try to get everything done this summer — and earlier than later in the summer. Past that, we don’t really have any firm dates or possibilities.”

Perhaps the most interesting statements are those at the end where Hardin notes a desire to conclude the process this summer.

In the same interview, Watson’s lawyer notes that they are expecting the league to meet with the quarterback again.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg
“We should know what their position is initially sometime in June, and then everybody will figure out if there’s going to be a hearing about it or can people work things out, or whatever,” Hardin told cleveland.com by phone on Friday evening. “The only thing that’s certain is that they want to try to get everything done this summer — and earlier than later in the summer. Past that, we don’t really have any firm dates or possibilities.”

Perhaps the most interesting statements are those at the end where Hardin notes a desire to conclude the process this summer.

Hopefully that's good news? If the NFL is willing to pronounce a punishment or verdict before it goes to civil trial (or settlement) then maybe they feel confident there is not bad/worse news coming down the line ? Someone on the board mentioned - possibly the worse thing the NFL could do would be to hand out a X number game ban, then find out next off season DW is found liable in one or more of the Civil Cases. Really hard to see the NFL metering out a ban if they felt that the outcome of the trial was in jeopardy.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It's still a Civil issue. The outcome of the civil suits should be of no real concern to the NFL unless they somehow turn criminal. The NFL's only real concern is Watson tarnishing the NFL and in turn dragging the Shield in to his mess. As far as the NFL should be concerned, 1 is the number. It doesn't really matter if it is 1, 22, or 200 allegations. The PR is pretty much the same.

My guess is the NFL will render a decision soon, and at the same time urge him to just settle and be done with it...I am sure the other lawyer and women hope for the same. If it isn't for the money, then it is for just getting it over with.

A early decision helps the NFL as well. It gives them some leverage to help convince Watson to just settle to make it go away. Give him 6 games and him not appeal. Make it go away and the NFL won't have any reason to revisit at some point down the road.

As for the settlement, I don't know what number would be good, but if I was Watsons attorney, it would have to be all plaintiffs sign on or no deal.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Again, I understand that the powers that be are Baker fans and are upset about Watson, but as leaders of this board..........do you think it might be time to be a bit more fair in what is permitted and what is not?

I have no problem if someone like Baker and detests Watson. However, I do have a problem when people resort to lies and bullying attacks to silence an alternative opinion.

You mean like the lie that those who wish for DW to be held accountable only do it because they love Baker? That kind of lie?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
j/c:

And even though you just throw out this kind of crap and refuse to back it up with anything to support it, once again I'll ask, what do you base that on?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I came across this while looking for some information about Jacoby Brissett.

WATSON EMBRACED BY TEAMMATES IN BROWNS' OFFSEASON PROGRAM

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Deshaun Watson made a strong impression on his new teammates long ago, scrambling for first downs and rifling touchdown passes while becoming an elite quarterback playing in Houston.

Now in Cleveland, the one he makes off the field may matter more.

Acquired from the Texans in a trade last month, Watson is getting to know the Browns better — and vice versa — during the team's voluntary offseason program, which will allow the three-time Pro Bowler to focus on football while legally fighting to clear his name.

The 26-year-old has been accused by 22

There's also possible discipline from the NFL, now conducting its own inquiry to determine if Watson violated the league's personal-conduct policy.

On Wednesday, coach Kevin Stefanski acknowledged Watson's legal schedule could intersect with the team's.

“We will work through those types of things,” Stefanski said. "As you know, there are ongoing proceedings, and we will make sure that we work through those.”

The Browns did not make Watson available to the media Wednesday, leaving Stefanski and three players to address questions about what the QB's arrival means to a team that went all in to add him to its roster.

Stefanski said Watson is fitting in fine.

“He's being embraced by his teammates,’’ Stefanski said. “We’re in Day 2 of the offseason program so I think it’s like any player on your team that’s new, it takes time to develop relationships. Now is that time.”

Stefanski declined to say whether Watson addressed the Browns about his legal issues or if he was encouraged to do so.

“I am not going to get into specifics there, but I would tell you, with all of our new players when you are first around your teammates, there is a process that you go through in getting to understand people, and you can’t do that all at once and have lunch with the entire team type of thing,” Stefanski said.

“I think Deshaun, like all of our new players, understands that you have to spend time at it when you are talking about developing relationships. He has done a nice job of being around the guys.”

Cornerback Denzel Ward, who officially signed his record-setting five-year, $100 million contract extension Tuesday, didn't have any prior relationship with Watson other than playing against him.

“He seems like a great guy,” Ward said.

The Browns' decision to pursue Watson and ultimately give him a fully guaranteed $230 million contract has angered some fans. The optics are certainly questionable given the accusations against Watson, who sat out last season.

While not speaking for all his teammates, Ward said he's confident general manager Andrew Berry and the club's front office did its research before bringing in a player with character questions.

“I trust those guys. I trust what they did," Ward said. "Meeting Deshaun, he seems like a nice guy, and he’s obviously a great talent and I’m looking forward to continuing to build our relationship on and off the field.”

Quarterback Jacoby Brissett will get to know Watson better than most.

Signed as a free agent to be Cleveland's backup, Brissett could be the starter depending on whether Watson gets suspended. It's a familiar role for the veteran, who has made 30 career starts during stints with New England, Indianapolis and Miami.

Like Ward, Brissett had little personal background with Watson. They faced off twice a year in the AFC South, but Brissett said those interactions were limited to a postgame handshake and a few words.

They'll share a room in Cleveland with Josh Dobbs.

Brissett said his early interactions with Watson have been positive.

“The relationship is growing,” he said. “I wouldn’t say we’re best friends, but I can see why people gravitate to him. He seems like a really good dude. He’s very upbeat, a very joyful guy to be around.”

Along with staying ready, Brissett said he'll also be another level of support for Watson.

“I’ve been around this league to know that players, we deal with real life things, and it goes deeper than football,’’ Brissett said.

Amari Cooper never imagined his trade to Cleveland this winter would be followed by a bigger one.

Just days after the Browns acquired the four-time Pro Bowler from Dallas, Cooper was vacationing in Dubai when word reached him that Watson would be his teammate.

“I was asleep,” Cooper said. “I woke up and saw a whole bunch of text messages and stuff like that. Guys were like, ‘Man, you are lucky.’ It was some of my former teammates, and I was like, ‘What?’ It was cool. I was happy about it.”

Cooper has no doubt he and Watson will connect.

“He’s a great player. I’m a great player,” Cooper said. “We’re going to make it work by any means necessary.”

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/nfl/watson-embraced-by-teammates-in-browns-offseason-program

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
j/c:

rofl

I know it upsets you terribly when you can't dictate to the owner and moderators how they should run this board. "Gloom, despair and agony on me."

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The NFL has never based it's suspensions on whether someone is convicted in a criminal court of law. Maybe some feel they should but that's not how it has worked in the past.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

I don't see Baker.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I don't see Baker.

He's taking the photo!

2 members like this: FATE, FL_Dawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c...

I don't see Baker.

He's taking the photo!

[Linked Image from cdn.vox-cdn.com]

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

For those of you who enjoy the technical aspects of the game, here is an article that was written by a former high school coach who was adding some intel on Watson. I am just going to post the link because there are numerous photos that are used as visual aids to assist the text.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...ell-bring-to-the-browns-film-review.html

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson Again

Link Copied to Clipboard