Dawg Talker
N
Browns agree to terms with DE Jadeveon Clowney on one-year, $11M deal. (via
@RapSheet
@TomPelissero
)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wish it was a 2 or 3 year deal because if Watson gets suspended for any length of time this season will be a wash and we'll be back in the same situation again next year.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
1 member likes this: jfanent
T
Legend
Legend
T
Will help the run defense.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Love it!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is good news maybe we can extend him during the season ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Love that it’s only a one year deal. Keeps him motivated. Hopefully, some games played incentives as well.

Glad he’s back, kind of seemed like a given.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is good news. Glad to hear it. I also agree w/Milk in that I like the one-year contract. That should keep Clowney hungry and he can feed on our opponents.

M
Legend
Legend
M

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
I am really happy he signed.

My opinion of Clowney changed after his season with us. I had mixed feelings about him before. But after a year I grew to like him.

Big smile, seems like a happy guy. Got along well with Myles and seemed like a good teammate.

He played hard for us.

Interesting that he turned down better offers to play with the Browns. I thought he was all about the money and Berry would have to pay up.

So, I am super happy he is part of this team. I think he will help the others on the DL.

IMO Perrion will have a good shot at starting. Whoever earns the other tackle spot; we should be fine with.

Today the defense just got whole.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
66, I am not smart enough to figure the numbers, but with dashaun’s salary going up to 45 million or so next year we may be pinching a few pennies. Hopefully the salary cap will go up a lot . Didn’t we just sigh a new tv agreement?

O
Legend
Legend
O
We still need a DT in a bad way, but this goes a long way to ensure our D is ready to go week1. I would've thought Clowney earned himself a little longer deal, but it might not have been doable with the way some of our contracts are going to hit us hard next year.

He may also be hoping that another healthy and productive season will convince teams to throw big money his way next offseason.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
This is huge. Now the young guys can learn from two of the best. It also keeps the new guys to being back ups. Should have a nice rotation at DE

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober
We still need a DT in a bad way, but this goes a long way to ensure our D is ready to go week1. I would've thought Clowney earned himself a little longer deal, but it might not have been doable with the way some of our contracts are going to hit us hard next year.

He may also be hoping that another healthy and productive season will convince teams to throw big money his way next offseason.

My son said he turned down a couple of 2 year deals. He wanted to be here. He is good enough that he can go with 1 year deals and probably has enough he really doesn't need the security a 2 year deal might bring, and I mean might. Most teams have a easy buy out in those things.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Winovich worried me as a #2 DE but makes a great #3

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Jester
Winovich worried me as a #2 DE but makes a great #3

yeah, can swing in for either guy when they need a blow of air.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Clowney signing also help ease the need to push one of our rookie DEs into a starting job before they are ready.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Clowney signing also help ease the need to push one of our rookie DEs into a starting job before they are ready.

No doubt.

I don't think we would have done that. I think we would have signed some other vet, even if we had to wait for camp cuts, but at minimum we wouldn't have had to rely on the kid too much.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Very good.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
We definitely have a better defense with Clowney here, than without.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Good to see, he was a good player for us last year and this eliminates one worry.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I like this move and like many others have been expecting it since right before the draft.

I believe the addition to the team Clowney brings is greater than the apparent value of Clowney's PFF grades which were more middle of the road than I think most of us would have guessed based on watching the games. Knowing the scheme - being a 1 year deal - playing with a 2nd year JOK ... I think it is all to the good. Not sure how much Winfrey will play this year - but I think it will help the DT's significantly too.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Great news. Elite D line, check.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc..

If Clowney was a bit more sound in his tackling techniques, he could have added several big plays last year..as he left some easy sacks and tackles for loss on the field by not focusing on finishing the play. ALMOST, gets you nothing. IMO, Clowney could have lead the team in sacks had he just focused on tackling. More than once I watched him get to the QB in time for a sack only to watch the QB duck under Clowney's attempted "high tackle".

Clowney is not the only defensive player to be plagued with the same problem and that leads me to point the finger at the coaching staff and their lack of emphasis on defensive basics. The defensive coaching staff needs to put more emphasis on the simple, basic stuff, imo.

Glad to see Clowney back but I expect more from him.

Last edited by mac; 05/22/22 08:11 PM.

1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
Live tackling in practices has been almost non-existent across the NFL for several years now. They tackle some bags, but they don't practice taking other players to the ground.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Live tackling in practices has been almost non-existent across the NFL for several years now. They tackle some bags, but they don't practice taking other players to the ground.

vers...where did I say anything about live tackling?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I apologize for adding information to the thread. My bad, mac.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Didn't the players union negotiate that in the last agreement? Weren't they live tackling when Bently got hurt, or did he trip on a blade of grass? Seems that long since I've seen them do any more than touch a guy in practice.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/22/22 10:19 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it was before the last agreement. I double checked before I made my post and there was a page full of articles about that teams haven't used live tackling for several years because the risk of injury outweighed the rewards. Thus, I don't think it's fair to blame our coaching staff for not teaching tackling. JMO

V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is the link to the page I was talking about. There are multiple articles on the subject. I didn't read them all. I was just confirming what I believed to be the truth before I made my post.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...700j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888
I like this move and like many others have been expecting it since right before the draft.

I believe the addition to the team Clowney brings is greater than the apparent value of Clowney's PFF grades which were more middle of the road than I think most of us would have guessed based on watching the games. Knowing the scheme - being a 1 year deal - playing with a 2nd year JOK ... I think it is all to the good. Not sure how much Winfrey will play this year - but I think it will help the DT's significantly too.

It should help the tackles a lot. Now we have Clowney and Garrett playing next to whoever we line up at tackle.

Unless we sign someone at some point the starting tackles are probably going to be Winfrey and Taven Bryant.

Winfrey is a guy we hope will be an answer for the long haul. I suspect we are going to play him. Bryant is a 1st round pick who never latched on with the JAGS. A change of scenery should do him well since he isn't a former 1st rounder for us, thus expectations will be lower. He is still a young guy, so who knows. Maybe Day takes one of those slots and we go with the 3 as the primary guys and 1-2 like Togiai as the 4th and maybe a 5th DT in some sort of rotation.

I guess it all depends on how many total defensive linemen we keep and who shows in camp. Do we keep as little as 7 linemen or do we keep as many as 10? As usual it will hinge on how many the DC really wants or needs at each position group.

I always look at the roster and think it needs to be larger, but I suppose if we had rosters of 60 we would still think it needs to be a few spots larger so it is what it is.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: mgh888
E
Legend
Legend
E
nanner

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Very sound signing
He can help mentor Alex Wright which is a win win for all
The AFC North is just loaded with DEs that both play the
Run and pass with equal effectiveness.

Legend
Legend
Good job by the FO. That’s a needed piece for our team

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Tackling technique can be taught regardless of the practice rules that limit physical contact.

How can that be, you say..?

Because proper tackling technique is based on and begins with a "mental process" where the tackler shifts their focus from the entire ball carrier (the target) to a much smaller area of that target. IMO, perfecting the mental process of shifting your target focus from large to small is 75% of what it takes to making a successful tackle..the other 25% of the tackle is physical but can be boiled down to simply doing what comes naturally once you are close enough to take the target down.

Another point of emphasis that must be perfected by the tackler is the ability to actually "see" the smaller target they are attempting to focus on in order to complete a tackle. Many times a missed tackle happens when the tackler drops their head, losing sight of the small area (target) they are attempting to focus on. If you can't see it, the chances of making a successful tackle are reduced.

Another point of emphasis that contributes to missed tackles is "flinching"...allowing yourself to close your eyes and losing focus just before the moment of contact. You can do everything right perfecting your tackling process but if you can't overcome "flinching" (closing your eyes) just before contact, your odds of missing that critical tackle have increased.

Once the tackler perfects their tackling technique, the number of missed tackles "will decline".

Concerning the Browns, the burden for teaching proper tackling technique is squarely on the shoulders of the Browns coaching staff and the lack of live tackling can not be used as an excuse.

So much of successful football, at all levels, can be reduced to mental preparation and coaches are nothing more than teachers of the game of football.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am going to defend our coaching staff and provide evidence that contradicts mac's claims. I looked into NFL teams with the most missed tackles. The Browns were 23rd on the list, which means that 22 other teams had more missed tackles than the Browns. The Seahawks led the league in most missed tackles and had a whopping 129 more missed tackles than our Browns did.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/which-team-has-the-most-missed-tackles-in-2021

1 member likes this: oobernoober
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I think it was before the last agreement. I double checked before I made my post and there was a page full of articles about that teams haven't used live tackling for several years because the risk of injury outweighed the rewards. Thus, I don't think it's fair to blame our coaching staff for not teaching tackling. JMO

I think I understood what you meant with that comment. At least to me it was that it is hard to improve something you can't practice.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
This is good news!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Weren't they live tackling when Bently got hurt, or did he trip on a blade of grass?

Bentley hurt his knee in a pickup basketball game a day or two before the first practice, then "went down" on the first snap of practice so that his contract was injury-guaranteed.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
??? Man I must have missed that or completely forgot about it. smh. Thanks Purp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns re-sign Jadeveon Clowney

Link Copied to Clipboard