Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Legend
Legend
E
Steve one thing - you gave us 2 years example on Baker stating 62.8 and 60.5 completion pct. Then in you totals state 58.4% ??? how can that be

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
" I wouldn't want to join any club that would have 'me' as a member."

Groucho Marx

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Okay, and I will absolutely call you out on when you are absolutely wrong. I did not say or imply that JB was a better QB than Baker. You are just absolutely butt hurt that Baker absolutely is on his way out of town.

Feel free to disagree with people as much as you want. That's what we do here, despite you claiming it is a personal attack when people do it with you.

And, nope, I don't care that Baker is on his way out. I'm annoyed with this franchise in How they did it, and with Whom they chose for it, but in the end he's just another QB in the carousel, just like Basset and Watson will be. And, you absolutely, most definitely made the insinuation that Basset is better and anyone that knows anything about anything knows there is no way that holds any water at all.

I don't want to get in the middle between you and Vers, but you nailed it... regardless of what anyone thinks of Baker, he worked his butt off, brought respectability to this franchise for the first time since it's rebirth.

The way the team handled this was pure trash. Absolute TRASH!

I think we all know that Watson is probably a better QB than Baker in so many areas.. But for me, character still matters,, Clearly, if it comes to a battle of character, Watson can't hold a candle to Mayfield....

And yes, Character matters to me.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Honestly - I don't think Baker's character is without fault. There are a few things he's done that most fans would prefer he had reeled his neck in - The Duke Johnson comments, the Hue stare down, recently talking about his feelings and players more interested in their paycheck than winning, publicly seeking a trade ... none of that is good. But compared to the new guy - it's better. DW publicly sought a trade because he simply didn't get to have input on a new HC. He has 24 women alleging sexual misconduct or abuse. He paid off a "Spa" owner - who was supplying these women. He's got a minimum of 66 different women lined up over a period of 17 months. Instead of just finding consensual willing Happy Endings - there's clearly a pattern, at one point at least, of wanting to coerce or manipulate the situation. We have a police officer in charge of the investigation who says the TEAM who worked the case all felt crimes were committed.

So Baker isn't squeaky clean by any stretch. But he's a choir boy in comparison. Ironically some are brutally hard on Baker - but give DW an absolute free pass. Shocker.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1950208 06/12/22 02:14 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
No he's not. What seems amazing to me is the order of people's priority lists on which is most important and how they wish to detract from the magnitude of it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
mgh888 #1950219 06/12/22 06:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
Honestly - I don't think Baker's character is without fault. There are a few things he's done that most fans would prefer he had reeled his neck in - The Duke Johnson comments, the Hue stare down, recently talking about his feelings and players more interested in their paycheck than winning, publicly seeking a trade ... none of that is good. But compared to the new guy - it's better. DW publicly sought a trade because he simply didn't get to have input on a new HC. He has 24 women alleging sexual misconduct or abuse. He paid off a "Spa" owner - who was supplying these women. He's got a minimum of 66 different women lined up over a period of 17 months. Instead of just finding consensual willing Happy Endings - there's clearly a pattern, at one point at least, of wanting to coerce or manipulate the situation. We have a police officer in charge of the investigation who says the TEAM who worked the case all felt crimes were committed.

So Baker isn't squeaky clean by any stretch. But he's a choir boy in comparison. Ironically some are brutally hard on Baker - but give DW an absolute free pass. Shocker.

How many women have sued Baker Mayfield over real or perceived sexual misconduct.. That's what I'm talking about.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Thanks for clarifying.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Watson can't hold a candle to Mayfield....And yes, Character matters to me.

Neither are examples of 'exemplary character'. Watson will need to really apply himself to turning things around here. And also: fans have very short memories.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think many fans have long memories.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Definitely agree that Baker showed signs of immaturity on a few different occasions. I think he is thin-skinned. Hopefully he has seen that it’s in his best interest to shutty on social media.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bbrowns32

Neither are examples of 'exemplary character'. Watson will need to really apply himself to turning things around here. And also: fans have very short memories.

SO, can you tell me when the last time Baker was in trouble with the Law? When was the last time he was sued by 24 women?

All players with a high motor and high desire to excel like Baker seems to have, will step on toes from time to time.. That's not a character flaw, but it may be annoying.. He's not in danger of getting suspended.

So please, quit trying to measure what DW has done to Baker....They just aren't the same thing...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
While, I have differing opinions on Baker Mayfield than Vers....I certainly don't think his comment was "insinuating" that Brisset is a better QB. He is "probably" right that Brissett will "probably" turn the ball over less. He is "probably" right that his maturity may help things in the lockeroom. The point is...he has valid points. He "definitely" did NOT say that Brissett was a better QB. Any "insinuation" is an "interpretation" and "supposition" by the reader. That is on "US"...not him. And basing it on prior posts is not 100% fair. Past posts can provide some "context", but we still need to look at what was said. (Isn't looking at words as written supposed to be the society we are currently in?) Yes, we know Vers doesn't care for Baker...but that doesn't mean we have to put words into his mouth. (or into the mouths of any other poster)

Concerning Baker...we need to separate his "maturity" with him tapping into his emotions to "up his game". There is some correlation of the 2, but it is a fine line that Baker has not been always successful walking while at other times channeling it in an amazing fashion. With that said, his emotions were not, and are not, "always" a detriment in the lockeroom. And there were many that followed that energy in College and in the Pro's. I do think Brissett will turn over the ball less...but I also don't think he will throw for as much yardage or throw for as many scores. Baker is a bigger gunslinger with far more arm talent than Brissett. But in Brissett's defense...he also hasn't had an Oline and running game as he is getting in CLE.

We "seem" (in general) to keep saying the FO handled things poorly or Baker screwed this up... The point being in almost any discussion we act like our American political system and take extremes, looking for single causes to the issue/discussion at hand. Plenty of Blame placing on single entities. The reality is that is it usually somewhere in the middle...even if it could be slanted towards one side. There are always misunderstandings, that lead to a domino effect of actions and words.

The FO was placed between a rock and hard place...If they trade Baker before acquiring Watson, and then don't get Watson...they are in a REALLY bad place. But if they get Watson before they trade Baker they lose leverage in trading Baker. We do know they communicated with Baker's team. We don't know what Baker's Team told Baker. We know Baker plays his best with a chip on his shoulder(pun not intended...lol) and we can expect emotional responses and actions from Baker. I honestly believe Bakers letter to the fans was truly a "just in case" type of message...now was there misunderstanding between Baker and the FO...obviously...The FO may not have divulged the second visits, etc...and Baker may not have had the whole picture. He then makes some bad moves with his trade request (at the wrong time) and his podcast. Now is this completely on Baker....as he should have final say on his actions...but maybe they could also be a result of bad advice...This is not as simple of a case as the FO was crappy in their communication and/or Baker is immature...

And to come full circle...lets try and focus on "facts", not supposition, insinuations, and emotions. Insinuation and emotions only make the discussion worse. The discussion goes downhill from there. Opinions vary, and that is a great thing. And this is a place to express those opinions. But lets also take responsibility for our opinions. We do this by asking for clarification instead of insinuating...we do this by not attacking each other....we do this by not over-extrapolating what little is known and keeping an open mind(and if we do...we present it as an opinion, which is what it is, and NOT represent it as FACT). We do this by not jumping straight to the extremes....

Discussions on here have been tiring and exhausting and I don't come here for tiring and exhausting. I want to come here for fun, to gain new perspectives, to get news, and more importantly contribute to what should be an amazing community. But all I see is extremism, rudeness, dichotomy, and it isn't fun by ay means...

We can do better....

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, GMdawg, Versatile Dog
PETE314 #1950567 06/14/22 09:31 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That was a very nice post. I'll get this out of the way. I don't think Brissett is a better qb than Baker. I would say so if I did. I'm not shy about voicing my opinions. LOL

As for the rest.......I don't agree w/all of what you said nor should I. You made a lot of great points and presented them in a civil and intelligent manner. I respect that. I think a lot of guys who don't post a lot or quit posting altogether if folks followed your advice about the board becoming less hostile and more civil. Thanks for writing your post and I won't even say which parts I disagree with. It's best to just let your thoughts stand undisturbed.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I wonder if the "triple option" stuff is similar in nature to what Shanny does in SF w/Debo and company and/or what KC did w/Kelsey and the crew?

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bbrowns32

He already "applied himself". that why we're where we are now. Making any attempt to think you can compare the moral situation between the two is totally off base and a crazy thing to attempt. I'd really like to know who actually thinks their character is perfect. Other than the arbiter of all things Dawg Talk that is.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks for providing us w/information regarding the OTAs, Milk.

1 member likes this: PastorMarc
M
Legend
Legend
M
thumbsup

1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
PETE314 #1950721 06/14/22 04:41 PM
Legend
Legend
You make a great point. I have come close to leaving this Board permanently many times.

I come for fun. Like to talk football and a few other things. But what I read is a royal turn off.

Back and forth spiting and biting over and over again. The tone is rotten. Constant sniping.
Hidden barbs and jabs.

Very little discussion on what I enjoy.

I like to hear about others takes on football, the team, all things related to "on the field."

Often I will start a topic to open a football discussion. It decends into the same crap quickly.

Takes all the fun out of what the intent was.

People who I use to have great discussions like Razor, Brown to the bone, good football guys. They no longer post.

If there is real football talk great. All the garbage - over and out.

Last edited by bonefish; 06/14/22 04:47 PM.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
3 members like this: jfanent, AZBrown, mgh888
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thank you, Grateful.

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

The "impromptu-ness" of it seems curious. Hearing that, to me at least, seems like the team waited until the last minute to let the media know Watson was going to speak so they couldn't get their act together in time to fully gather the questions they wanted to ask. But I'm assuming the media had a bevy of questions piled up for a while anyways.

It really reminded me of the Mike Lombardi hire in the sense that Banner knew Lombardi was considered trash by the town so they announced a early Friday morning PC at the last minute on where media had to high-tail it to Berea to participate.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Perhaps.

My take is a bit different. Her report made me think that it was Watson who wanted to get out in front of things a bit. I have no proof of that, it was just something she said during the course of that piece that made me feel that way.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The press asked good questions. As the tweet shared by Grateful mentions, the biggest waffle and non-answer came when asked about the revelation that DW had offered to settle when Miami was looking to trade for him. (I think that is when he is supposed to have offered to settle). It sort of/seems to contradict some of the things DW said in the first interview - and his answer appeared to me along the lines of "Oh yeah, well that was then, this is now. That was Miami and a different legal team, and this is now" .... I think DW is in a tremendously difficult place to answer questions. And it is all well and good to be forthright in your convictions - in many ways he has to be. But in the face of the newer findings - the number of women, the pay off to the Spa Manager who was sourcing some of these women - sticking by the "I've never disrespected a woman" sounds hollow at best. Just how I see it - but I listened while working so maybe I missed some connotation.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Maybe you can put that crap in one of the many Watson threads? Seriously, how many threads to you Baker fans need to hijack to get your way? I say this because that same info is already in the Watson threads. It's like a handful of you are desperately trying to stop any football conversation by constantly trashing Watson in some lame ass attempt to bring Baker back. Baker is NOT coming back. He's done.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Who the heck was that addressed to?

* To add - Memphis's post was directly related to tough questions Watson faced. Most of the DW interview - the subject of the Grateful Tweet - was about the DW issues. And my comment about the settlement was directly raised in that Tweet/Interview. . . . ey ey ey

Last edited by mgh888; 06/14/22 09:00 PM.

mgh888 #1950802 06/14/22 08:58 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well, it looks like he was talking to himself. That's a red flag. wink

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Well, it looks like he was talking to himself. That's a red flag. wink

And the only person that keeps bringing up our Ex-QB is him. Mentioned him by name 3 times in a post responding to a post about Watson's interview and the content of Watson's interview.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/14/22 09:01 PM.

Legend
Legend
Stupid Kicker.

Thank you for bringing us those updates!!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
mgh888 #1950884 06/15/22 10:33 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
The press asked good questions. As the tweet shared by Grateful mentions, the biggest waffle and non-answer came when asked about the revelation that DW had offered to settle when Miami was looking to trade for him. (I think that is when he is supposed to have offered to settle). It sort of/seems to contradict some of the things DW said in the first interview - and his answer appeared to me along the lines of "Oh yeah, well that was then, this is now. That was Miami and a different legal team, and this is now" .... I think DW is in a tremendously difficult place to answer questions. And it is all well and good to be forthright in your convictions - in many ways he has to be. But in the face of the newer findings - the number of women, the pay off to the Spa Manager who was sourcing some of these women - sticking by the "I've never disrespected a woman" sounds hollow at best. Just how I see it - but I listened while working so maybe I missed some connotation.

Good grief! "The press asked good questions". There was not one football question asked.

You have an agenda to see this team fail. There is NO doubt of that in my mind.

[Linked Image]

mgh888 #1950889 06/15/22 10:36 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
FYI, trials are not held in press conferences.

[Linked Image]

FL_Dawg #1950892 06/15/22 10:44 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Good grief! "The press asked good questions". There was not one football question asked.

You have an agenda to see this team fail. There is NO doubt of that in my mind.

Well you would be incorrect. But that's ok.

As for the "good questions" - the comment was directly in relation to the poster I replied to who was implying that the "impromptu" press conference was sprung to avoid hard questions about his legal situation.
Context is a thing - sorry you missed it.

mgh888 #1950915 06/15/22 12:28 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
You were certainly only replying in context to something that was already posted by someone else. But don't believe for a minute that will stop them.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1950951 06/15/22 03:14 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

2 members like this: GratefulDawg, SuperBrown
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum News from OTAs

Link Copied to Clipboard