DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Versatile Dog News from OTAs - 05/23/22 10:37 PM
OTAs begin tomorrow. Maybe it will encourage more football talk? I will get the party started.

Cleveland Browns OTAs primer: Deshaun Watson's first practices, a changed offense and more
Nate Ulrich
Akron Beacon Journal

The Browns will shift their voluntary offseason workout program into a higher gear this week when organized team activity practices begin, marking the first time quarterback Deshaun Watson will participate in on-field work with the vast majority of his new teammates.

Yes, Watson and other Browns players have been on the field for drills in recent weeks, and he hosted the majority of the offense for workouts over the weekend in the Bahamas.

But the upcoming OTA sessions will be the first practices for the Browns since they traded with the Houston Texans for Watson on March 18, a move team brass believes will propel it from a disappointing 8-9 record last season to legitimate Super Bowl contention.

Latest on the legal side for the Browns quarterback:NFL reportedly wants another meeting with Deshaun Watson, whose accusers will speak on HBO

The collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association stipulates players may wear helmets but not pads during OTA practices. There are other rules, but the most important one is seven-on-seven, nine-on-seven and 11-on-11 drills are permitted in OTA practices, provided no live contact occurs.

Teams may conduct a maximum of 10 OTA practices. The Browns' first one will be held Tuesday, with their first one open to the media taking place Wednesday. They'll wrap up their first week of OTAs Thursday.

The Browns have other OTA practices scheduled for May 31-June 2 and June 6-9.

Remember, OTAs are voluntary. Two years ago, there were no in-person OTAs because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Last year, almost all of the starters on offense refrained from participating because former Browns center JC Tretter led a movement as the NFL Players Association president against attending the voluntary offseason workout program, citing injury data and COVID-19 concerns.

In other words, OTAs this year are expected to have the highest attendance in the coach Kevin Stefanski era.

Players aren't contractually obligated to show up to CrossCountry Mortgage Campus in Berea until mandatory minicamp June 14-16, when quarterback Baker Mayfield plans to report to the Browns if he's still on the roster because he doesn't want to be fined or jeopardize any of the guarantees in his $18.858 million salary for 2022. The Browns can excuse Mayfield from mandatory minicamp, but they can't tell him to stay away. Training camp, which begins in late July, is required, too.

For now, though, it's spring practice time. And this is a guide for what to watch from afar because OTA practices are closed to the public, and only three of them are open to reporters (Wednesday, June 1 and June 8).

Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson, center, takes questions from local media during his introductory press conference at the Cleveland Browns Training Facility on Friday.
Browns should balance passing game development with prep for a potential Deshaun Watson suspension
There's only one first practice of a new era, and Watson's arrival certainly makes this a new era for the Browns.

When Watson's first Browns game will be is a mystery, though, because he could be suspended under the NFL's personal conduct policy. Two dozen women have accused Watson of sexual misconduct or sexual assault during massage appointments, and 22 have active civil lawsuits filed against him. Last week in Houston, NFL officials interviewed Watson, who avoided charges on 10 criminal complaints in March and has denied all wrongdoing.

While the Browns wait to find out whether Watson will be available for their Sept. 11 regular-season opener on the road against the Carolina Panthers, they'll be preparing him to get on the same page with a receiving corps led by another offseason trade acquisition, four-time Pro Bowl selection Amari Cooper.

But because a Watson suspension appears to be more likely than not, it would also be wise for Stefanski to ensure quarterback Jacoby Brissett is developing adequate chemistry with Cooper and other projected starting pass catchers, including receivers Donovan Peoples-Jones and David Bell, a rookie third-round draft pick, and franchise-tagged tight end David Njoku.

The Browns signed Brissett this offseason to be Watson's primary backup.

Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski watches drills during the NFL football team's rookie minicamp in Berea on Friday.
How different will the offense of Cleveland Browns coach Kevin Stefanski look out of the gate?
In late March at the NFL owners meetings, Stefanski would not rule out making wholesale changes to his offense with Watson aboard.

When Stefanski landed his first head coaching job in January 2020, he brought the scheme he learned in Minnesota from Gary Kubiak to Cleveland. Its staples are play-action passing off a running game powered by zone blocking. Stefanski has also become known for frequently using big personnel. The Browns led the NFL the past two seasons in 13 personnel (three tight ends).

With Watson, Stefanski figures to spread the offense out with more three-receiver sets and implement run-pass options.

It's hard to fathom Stefanski completely forsaking the system he has used the past two seasons, but changes will be made, some of which should be evident in OTAs.

Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey, right, celebrates after cornerback Martin Emerson Jr. knocked over a member of the coaching staff in drills during the NFL football team's rookie minicamp in Berea on Friday.
Cleveland Browns rookies will find out how they fit with veteran players
The Browns held rookie minicamp from May 13-15, but those incoming first-year players have yet to practice with their veteran teammates. They will during OTAs.

The day after General Manager Andrew Berry made Martin Emerson Jr. the Browns' first draft pick this year, taking the cornerback from Mississippi State University in the third round (No. 68 overall), the franchise traded nickelback Troy Hill to the Los Angeles Rams on April 30. The Browns view Emerson primarily as an outside corner, and although 2021 first-round selection Greg Newsome II has shown he can move from the outside to slot corner, the defense appears to be thin at nickelback with Hill gone.

Story from Horizon Therapeutics
What chronic illness can do to mental health
See More →
During the recent rookie minicamp, Stefanski downplayed the notion that the Browns were in the market for a new nickelback because of Hill's departure.

“I think we have multiple guys who can fill that role and have filled that role in there,” Stefanski said. “I think that's why we talk about versatility. If you're playing corner or if you're playing safety, you're going to be trained to play in the slot and play our nickel position. I think we have multiple guys who can do that.”

Well, OTAs ought to provide the first peek of how the Browns plan to address nickelback and to what extent they'll experiment with Emerson there.

Getting deals done:Cleveland Browns sign seven of their nine-member 2022 NFL Draft class

The slot on the other side of the ball is a position of interest, too. All signs point to Bell being the top candidate there, though he can play on the outside, where he appeared the most at Purdue University. Former Browns receiver Jarvis Landry has taken his inside-outside versatility to the New Orleans Saints, so the Browns are counting on Bell to fill a similar role.

Another rookie worth tracking is running back Jerome Ford. A fifth-round pick, Ford has conceded he didn't expect the Browns to draft him out of the University of Cincinnati. Do you know why? It's because they were already stacked at his position with Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, D'Ernest Johnson and Demetric Felton Jr., who played more receiver than running back last season as a sixth-round rookie.

Chubb is the only one in the group who can be safely ruled out as a trade possibility. Perhaps the Browns will find a way to keep all of the running backs on the roster for the coming season — it would make sense if fewer tight ends are factors this year — but the coaching staff getting side-by-side comparisons between Ford and his veteran counterparts could inform such decisions.

Cleveland Browns defensive end Alex Wright, left, punches the ball away from defensive end Isaiah Thomas, right, during the NFL football team's rookie minicamp in Berea on Friday.
Which players will start with Myles Garrett on the Cleveland Browns' defensive line?
Aside from All-Pro end Myles Garrett, there are question marks across the defensive line.

The Browns agreed Sunday to re-sign Jadeveon Clowney as the starting end opposite Garrett, but the competition for the rest of the pass-rushing pecking order will be notable. Trade acquisition Chase Winovich and free-agent acquisitions Stephen Weatherly and Isaac Rochell will be vying with two rookies — third-round pick Alex Wright and seventh-round selection Isaiah Thomas — and holdover Curtis Weaver for rotational roles.

Long shots living NFL dreams:Cleveland Browns announce they signed 12 undrafted free agents

At defensive tackle, rookie fourth-round choice Perrion Winfrey will have a chance to become an immediate starter at three-technique. Free-agent acquisition Taven Bryan and holdovers Tommy Togiai, Jordan Elliott and Sheldon Day are also in the mix for the two starting spots on the interior of the defensive line.

Nickelback and defensive line are likely the top areas of intrigue for defensive coordinator Joe Woods.

Cleveland Browns rookie kicker Cade York tosses around a football on the sidelines during the NFL football team's rookie minicamp in Berea on Friday.
Revamped Cleveland Browns special teams will be on display
The Browns desperately needed boosts on special teams, so they drafted kicker Cade York in the fourth round and signed punter Corey Bojorquez and Pro Bowl returner Jakeem Grant Sr. this offseason.

It's May. The wind and wintry weather later in the year at FirstEnergy Stadium will be the real tests for York and Bojorquez. Still, looking good in the spring wouldn't hurt the confidence and trust special teams coordinator Mike Priefer has in his new players.

A flag, the fans and hitting it true: Phil Dawson advises Browns rookie kicker Cade York

Which Cleveland Browns players have made changes to their bodies?
This is the time of year when certain players catch the eyes of coaches, teammates and reporters because of physical transformations they have undergone since last season ended on Jan. 9.

Most of the time, those changes are good news, but once in a while, they're not.

One player the Browns have been casting in a positive light along these lines is center Nick Harris, a fifth-round pick in 2020. Harris is positioned to succeed Tretter as the starter in the middle of the offensive line, but Harris will need to hold off free-agent acquisition Ethan Pocic.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...n-winfrey-cade-york-practice/9840837002/
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/23/22 10:42 PM
Breaking: Baker Mayfield Makes Decision On Browns Camp

ANDREW HOLLERANMAY 23, 2022

The Cleveland Browns are set to hold OTAs later this week. Baker Mayfield is not going to be in attendance.

The former No. 1 overall NFL Draft pick, who remains on the trading block following the blockbuster Deshaun Watson acquisition, has reportedly decided to skip OTAs.

ESPN's NFL insider, Adam Schefter, first reported the news.

"Cleveland QB Baker Mayfield will not be attending the Browns’ voluntary OTA’s that open Tuesday, as expected," he reports.

Mayfield has been linked to teams like the Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks.

However, there has been little reported trade interest in the former Oklahoma Sooners star.

Perhaps a dark horse contender will eventually emerge.

https://thespun.com/nfl/breaking-baker-mayfield-makes-decision-on-browns-camp
Posted By: FrankZ Re: News from OTAs - 05/23/22 10:51 PM
Can't say I am surprised.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/23/22 11:02 PM
Agreed Frank. No one is surprised. Totally expected.

I do want to add this and it is coming from a Baker "hater." I don't know who is advising him, but the moves they made starting from the apology letter, the trade demand, the podcast and all the horrible comments that it involved about teammates, coaching, etc, the refusal to report to voluntary camps......I can't imagine a more damning stand to take, especially w/the talk out there of issues in the locker room.

I like redemption stories and would like to see him be the best he could be. That wold be an uplifting story. Kinda like the Chris Carter story, albeit for different demons. I just think he and/or his camp are doing a terrible job of handling this situation and I think it's hurting his stock in the eyes of other teams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/23/22 11:06 PM
In other OTA news, I saw Kyler Murray is skipping out on the Cardinals. He's another immature guy who is hurting himself. And there are reports that Aaron Rodgers won't be participating. Guy just signed for something like $50 million per year and he isn't going to be there? I understand it is voluntary, but damn, that's a bad look. I love Rodgers ability as a qb, but his constant drama queen act the last couple of years is beyond annoying.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/23/22 11:40 PM
That's too bad. I was looking forward to Bakers participation at the OTA's. willynilly
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 01:21 AM
If I'm Baker, I'm putting in the absolute minimum to get my 18m or until I'm on a new team. But if DW can't go for whatever and I get the nod, then I'm playing for my next job, not the Browns.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 02:51 AM
lol!!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 02:53 AM
I think the leadership group of any team should show up for OTAs. Especially the QB, him most of all, and other vets.
Posted By: mac Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 04:14 AM
I do want to add this and it is coming from a Baker "hater."

The Browns do not want Baker to attend these voluntary OTAs.

First Baker is still officially rehabbing his shoulder after the surgery in Jan. What could the Browns possibly expect to gain by putting a player who is "rehabbing" on the practice field?

Given the fact that the Browns officially washed their hands of Baker and they are now looking to find a trading partner, it would be one of the dumbest moves the Browns could make, expecting to see a "recovering Baker" on the field for OTAs. The risk of further injury could greatly complicate any deal the Browns might be attempting to work out. Some fluke unintended contact causing an injury and the Browns could be held responsible..it simply would be a damn stupid move if the Browns allowed Baker to attend OTAs.

There is absolutely nothing to gained by the Browns by letting Baker on the field for OTAs.

Posted By: guard dawg Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 10:11 AM
A rare football question... my uncertain recollection of Watson in the Houston offense is that he was in the shotgun a lot. Maybe more than being under center. Stefanski's offense, until now, has the QB to get under center often. Likely to sell play-action more effectively. What's the opinion among dawg-talkers? Will we see more shotgun or will DW have to adjust to more snaps under center? How might shotgun affect the wide-zone?
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Agreed Frank. No one is surprised. Totally expected.

I do want to add this and it is coming from a Baker "hater." I don't know who is advising him, but the moves they made starting from the apology letter, the trade demand, the podcast and all the horrible comments that it involved about teammates, coaching, etc, the refusal to report to voluntary camps......I can't imagine a more damning stand to take, especially w/the talk out there of issues in the locker room.

I like redemption stories and would like to see him be the best he could be. That would be an uplifting story. Kinda like the Chris Carter story, albeit for different demons. I just think he and/or his camp are doing a terrible job of handling this situation and I think it's hurting his stock in the eyes of other teams.
How much do you think his recovery from his injury is playing a part in not attending? If he isn't cleared to practice wouldn't he be nothing more than a distraction?
Posted By: bonefish Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 11:27 AM
Good question.

I am guessing. I think KS will overall end up with balance. Chubb and Hunt because of the threat they are as runners make play action work.

So we will run play action off under center. KS likes to be unpredictable. So there will be a mix of plays with options from under center.

He will do the same in shotgun. He will have run plays off shotgun. And of course pass plays.

So the playbook will be balanced. Then each game will come with a game plan. The plays for that game will be about matchup advantages.

If it determined that we can run on a team efficiently; then we will.

The goal will be that each game plan is unlimited. That a game plan can be developed without limitations.

It was obvious last year that was not the case.

The Browns want to be able to use any part of the field on any play.

We have the personnel to accomplish that.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 11:28 AM
Agreed - the Browns organization does not want Baker in attendance no matter what anyone might think. What is a reflection on Baker is how he handles that non-attendance either through the team, his representatives or his social media accounts ... there would be a professional way to handle this and a non-professional, churlish way. Let's hope he let's others handle it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 11:31 AM
How much do you think his recovery from his injury is playing a part in not attending? If he isn't cleared to practice wouldn't he be nothing more than a distraction?

I don't think the injury has anything to do w/it. I think that the disconnect between the Browns and Baker is the reason. I want to add that I was not bad-mouthing Baker in my above commentary. I have been consistent on what he should be doing in order to improve his image across the league.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by guard dawg
A rare football question... my uncertain recollection of Watson in the Houston offense is that he was in the shotgun a lot. Maybe more than being under center. Stefanski's offense, until now, has the QB to get under center often. Likely to sell play-action more effectively. What's the opinion among dawg-talkers? Will we see more shotgun or will DW have to adjust to more snaps under center? How might shotgun affect the wide-zone?

Good observation and questions. I had to think about this for a bit and do a quick search.

I think you are definitely right about Watson being in shotgun much more than under center. I did find this however in a larger article:

...he’s been incredibly impressive throwing the ball from the pocket, too, both from under center or the shotgun. Watson has thrived in the play-action passing game in particular: On plays that include a run fake, he’s completed 67.4 percent of his passes at 8.8 yards per attempt with a league-high six touchdowns and just one pick on those plays, registering a 124.7 passer rating (fifth) per Pro Football Focus. (Compared with a respectable 87.7 passer rating, with six touchdowns and three interceptions at 6.8 yards per attempt, on non-play-action plays.) It’s no wonder, then, why the Texans run play-action the fourth most often (26.9 percent) leaguewide; Watson has done an excellent job using the threat of a handoff to move defenders and drop passes in behind the defense.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/13/16467512/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-offense

The Wide-Zone question is a really good one. Picture in your mind some of the teams that currently run it a lot. SF w/Shanny. Rams w/McVay. Bengals w/Taylor. GB w/LeFleur. Are they predominantly under center or in the gun? Or do they do a lot of both?

Here is a decent article about it w/videos. I am going to just post the link because the video examples are needed to fully understand the text.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allb...joe-mixon-and-the-bengals-rushing-attack

I am not sure I am right about this, but my conclusion is that we will incorporate more shotgun plays to highlight some of Watson's strengths and still run a lot of under center plays to feature our strong running game and superior blocking scheme. I do want to add one last thing. I would like to see the Browns coaching staff help Watson w/improving his ball handling skills. By this I mean........he has to do a better job w/his eyes on really looking at the potential ball carrier when we are running play action and also sell his ball fakes a bit harder.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 11:59 AM
Nice post, Fate. I read your post after I tried to answer guard's questions. Looks like we see it pretty much the same way.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
If I'm Baker, I'm putting in the absolute minimum to get my 18m or until I'm on a new team. But if DW can't go for whatever and I get the nod, then I'm playing for my next job, not the Browns.

All one can ask or expect. I don't expect Baker to be a happy camper, and I don't expect him to make a fuss. If asked or needed to play, I expect for him to play to the best of his ability. Not for the team, as you say, for himself and his next job.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 12:09 PM
I don't really care all that much if Watson plays under center or in the gun as a regular set. My only real care is that by running in one or the other it is run in a balanced manner. In other words, i don't want the gun to mean we pass 85% of the time or under center means we run 85% of the time.

I think it is a little bit too easy for the playcaller to skew plays a bit much depending on the set.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 12:15 PM
You might not care, but it's good football conversation. Better than the bickering that ruins most threads and was on the verge of happening.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 12:26 PM
You might not care, but it's good football conversation. Better than the bickering that ruins most threads and was on the verge of happening.

I think you are reading my words wrong. If I didn't care as you seem to have taken it, i would have said "I don't care.", or "Who cares?".

My comment was more along the lines of I don't have a preference. Each has it's positives and negatives. My only real care isn't so much about the set. It is about the coach or QB getting in to a predictable pattern out of said sets.

Hope that clears it up.

I will also add that if the QB has a preference and it doesn't have major negative impact on the ability to run or pass, then run that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 12:42 PM
Nice post, Fate. I read your post after I tried to answer guard's questions. Looks like we see it pretty much the same way.

Sorry, too late to edit it, but I meant bonefish rather than Fate. My apologies.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 12:52 PM
I agree. Formation and run/pass tendencies can't be predictable.

Vers, when I get time I'm going check out the link you posted.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 01:04 PM

The first article in this thread says exactly that.. he's planning on being there for mandatory stuff...

Either way, if he shows up, it's going to be uncomfortable for all involved.... The browns would be smart to make a deal prior to mandatory events
Posted By: eotab Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 01:14 PM
A good breakdown of the team prior to the actual OTA's of course no hitting only helmets so its pretty much the skilled players on Passing Offense and the DBs on defense. Ass backwards putting in the playbook first and not the conditioning and hitting needed for blocking technique and tackling. Not the formula for winning. But all teams except Patriots of course in the same boat...lol laugh

Baker not attending - well the big news on that was why was he asked...lol laugh

I think its important to get not only our starter in sync but also our backup QB time for Ski to earn his money and get this team ready for the 2022 season. I was thinking at the least before the trade we were looking at 10 wins. Hope we improve on that with the moves made.

jmho...Go Browns!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 02:39 PM

I don't think the injury has anything to do w/it. I think that the disconnect between the Browns and Baker is the reason. I want to add that I was not bad-mouthing Baker in my above commentary. I have been consistent on what he should be doing in order to improve his image across the league.

However you put the following in order (rehabbing an injury, disconnect/drama, he's effectively like 5th on the depth chart), there is absolutely nothing gained for anyone in him attending these activities. Logically, it makes no sense for him to show up.
Posted By: Dave Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 02:59 PM
IMO, Mayfield would be the skunk at the garden party if he showed up - healthy or not - for voluntary OTAs. I also believe a good portion of his detractors would criticize him for being a distraction and deliberately trying to disrupt the proceedings. It's a can't win situation for him. Mandatory camps will be another matter that I think he should show up for, unless the Browns tell him to stay home. The only move that makes sense for the Browns at this point is to hang on to him until some team needs a QB due to injury.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 04:19 PM
j/c...

Posted By: FrankZ Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 08:13 PM
Good balance staying upright when his feet went out.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: News from OTAs - 05/24/22 09:10 PM
I have to agree with the notion that Baker's Team is not helping him. We don't know what Baker was told and when...We are not sure what went down with his Team when Deshaun first said no...But it does seem to me that Whomever is advising Baker is not doing a good job. The letter saying "Thank You Cleveland" was a mistake. It was probably meant to be proactive and supposed to just be a thank you...in case. But it ended up being perceived as done deal and goodbye. The ask for a trade...was completely too soon and made him look petty. The podcast...Lord who is talking to him...was probably supposed to help people endear him to his side of the story, but only served to make him appear unprofessional and whiney.

Look we all know Baker is an emotional player. We also know that he needs that "chip on his shoulder" that helps bring the best out of him. I mean is it crazy to think in the situation that he is traded to Carolina...and Watson is suspended...that Baker lights us up???Vers, I know your thoughts on that wink But in this case his emotional motivation is hurting his case more than it is helping him.

Right now the biggest hurdle he has is his salary...BUT a hurdle almost as big is the question mark the Browns had to deal with as they could never for one reason or another get a good read on how he can play as well as his maturity as a player. Right now the maturity level is looking pretty low. The NFL is a business...and we can't kid ourselves. If the Packers had a legitimate shot at a QB better than Rogers...They would make an attempt at him(extreme example to make a point). No one in the league is irreplaceable...Not even Brady (Mac Jones is doing decent in Patsville) Teams will always look for bigger, faster, better, cheaper players to replace you. ALWAYS. If loyalty and performance come together...It is beautiful and celebrated...It just doesn't happen often.

You know what? Baker has every right to feel disrespected. He gave his heart to this team. Its why many support him. It is understandable that he feels betrayed. Baker and or his team\agents are trying to play that card. But it is the mature person that can sort that out, get beyond the feelings and b a professional. It is certainly understandable why Baker wasn't going to the Bahamas....I can even understand him not being at OTA's(especially with the shoulder)....But imagine how he would be perceived if he accepts that he won't be here this year and yet STILL comes voluntarily and helps prepare. I mean I see it like the second string QB...you know you are not playing...but a professional still goes at his job as if that is the situation. And Bakers situation is, like it or not, he is contracted under the Cleveland Browns and he has a choice...Allow his emotions to make his decisions or be the professional he can and should be. Teams prefer professionals to lead their teams...just sayin...

If the situation is the Browns are not allowing it...then he needs to do whatever he can to mend that fence in order to change that. Because he needs to change the professional perception he has right now and the only wat to do that is on the field....practice or otherwise...and it won't be otherwise until he can get on the practice....JMO
Posted By: jaybird Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

All one can ask or expect. I don't expect Baker to be a happy camper, and I don't expect him to make a fuss. If asked or needed to play, I expect for him to play to the best of his ability. Not for the team, as you say, for himself and his next job.

I can't imagine the browns asking him to set foot on the field again... baker not going to OTAs is 100% expected... I wouldd expect he would not practice for the browns ever again...
Posted By: steve0255 Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 10:27 AM
Players on the fifth-year option will be fined $40,000 for each day of any late reporting or absence from training camp (increased to $45,000 in 2026) and one week of regular-season salary for each preseason game missed.

If not traded before training camp begins, Mayfield has no choice but to report to camp unless he wants to accept the fines. Assuming Mayfield intends to honor the contract language, the Browns FO, and only the FO, will control whether Baker is at camp or not. The other sleeping dog in the room is that Cleveland leaves him on the PUP list. That would keep him away from the practices without just telling him to stay away and paying him but would certainly damage their ability to trade a Mayfield that is still on the PUP list.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 11:46 AM
Teams may conduct a maximum of 10 OTA practices. The Browns' first one will be held Tuesday, with their first one open to the media taking place Wednesday. They'll wrap up their first week of OTAs Thursday.

Hopefully, we will get some news on how things look at OTAs today. I'm starved for some football news and it's only March.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 11:49 AM
I think have this correct: The PUP list only applies if a player can & does not practice for the start of Training Camp. He can come off the PUP list at anytime during Training Camp. If the player is still on the PUP list when the rosters are cut to 53+, then he must sit out X# of games (6?) to start the season - sit meaning not practice either.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 12:03 PM
All concerns of fines go away as soon as the team grants him permission, or directs him, to stay home.
It won't be an issue.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
All concerns of fines go away as soon as the team grants him permission, or directs him, to stay home.
It won't be an issue.

Correct. Here is an excerpt from a larger article:

The Browns had hoped some team would want Mayfield, but they were also always prepared to play the long game and wait for some team to need Mayfield. Whether that need arises in mid-June, late August or into the season remains to be seen.

Internally, the Mayfield situation is not a pressing issue. Mayfield is not going to play for the Browns again, so there’s no void in the quarterback room during meetings or positional workouts. If the Browns have to excuse Mayfield from mandatory minicamp in June or the start of training camp in July, it will make for a bunch of headlines. But in reality, it will be handled in 30 seconds of phone calls and paperwork.

https://theathletic.com/3279841/2022/05/05/baker-mayfield-browns-roster-draft/
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 12:31 PM

Hopefully, we will get some news on how things look at OTAs today. I'm starved for some football news and it's only March.

I agree, but it is pretty hard to get much news out of these things. I guess about the biggest thing is if guys are playing some different positions or news about who is there and who isn't.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 03:05 PM
j/c...

Posted By: FrankZ Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Laser rocket arm! laugh
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 07:54 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: News from OTAs - 05/25/22 08:14 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 05/26/22 12:13 PM
A bunch of video clips from yesterday's OTA camp.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...ights-see-watson-and-the-offense-thrive/
Posted By: FrankZ Re: News from OTAs - 05/26/22 03:04 PM
I am so ready for this season to start.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: News from OTAs - 05/29/22 03:46 PM
My last post on this thread was on page 2. I haven't read every post going forward from there so if this has already been discussed somebody just point me to those posts. I saw a brief mention that during OTAs Chubb and Hunt were in the backfield together. That would be a significant change of philosophy in terms of their utilization. If that's true it could also be part of why Ford was drafted. If Hubb, ( I don't like Chunt) are taking reps together then another running-back in rotation with Johnson could be the reason for his selection.
Posted By: bonefish Re: News from OTAs - 05/29/22 04:03 PM
Between now and training camp it is really slow.

June and July very little happens.

Time to do other things and put all this on the back burner.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: News from OTAs - 05/29/22 07:52 PM
June anyway. Camp opens in July.

June is vacation month for the coaches for the most part.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/02/22 02:18 PM
[video:youtube]
[/video]
Posted By: Pdawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/02/22 02:21 PM
[video:youtube]
[/video]
Posted By: bonefish Re: News from OTAs - 06/02/22 02:58 PM
The Watson thread is closed.

OTA's, camps coming.

It is my hope that the NFL makes a ruling on DW. I want to know one way or the other. There has been plenty of time to investigate.

Make a ruling so we can move on. I am ok with what is decided no matter what. I just want to know so we can prepare for the season.

Hopefully a decision is imminent.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: News from OTAs - 06/02/22 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish

OTA's, camps coming.

It is my hope that the NFL makes a ruling on DW. I want to know one way or the other. There has been plenty of time to investigate.

Make a ruling so we can move on. I am ok with what is decided no matter what. I just want to know so we can prepare for the season.

I agree, but the NFL isn't going to do us any favors.

That isn't to say they are going to dilly dally to put us in a jam.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: News from OTAs - 06/02/22 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by bonefish

OTA's, camps coming.

I agree, but the NFL isn't going to do us any favors.

That isn't to say they are going to dilly dally to put us in a jam.

Sorry to do this - but we have a member who is going round and asking posters to stay on topic. I find it annoying because I think organic conversation leads to more interesting and natural conversations. But in keeping with the idea of only talking about the title of a thread - it's clear we need another DW thread opened because these two posts - while entirely reasonable and solid posts - are about DW and his impact on our ability to play football and plan for the season.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/02/22 03:57 PM
Thanks for the videos, Pdawg. Can't wait for the season to start. I did make four observations of note from that first vidoe.

1. Cooper's footwork in the drill where he was changing directions was very impressive. Very tight. No wasted movements. Very precise. Much cleaner than the guy who followed him. I think it was Schwartz?

2. Myles is so fluid. Great bend. Stays low. Great feet for such a large man. And the power of his hands was impressive.

3. Watson displayed nice agility and footwork. Athletic and smooth feet.

4. It's hard not to notice just how athletic Njoku is. He looked like a WR out there. Very fluid. Hoping for a big year from him.
Posted By: FATE Re: News from OTAs - 06/02/22 04:03 PM
Yes, that was Schwartz, and I thought the same thing. Your post pretty much sums up my entire thoughts on those vids.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/03/22 02:11 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: News from OTAs - 06/08/22 08:45 PM
j/c...

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/08/22 10:05 PM
We're going to be needing him, in a big way.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 04:19 AM
With it looking like we will have no QB, he will be our MVP. And the cycle continues.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 11:22 AM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 11:46 AM
With it looking like we will have no QB, he will be our MVP. And the cycle continues.

He probably would have anyway.

As for QB, assuming Warson is out for the year, or even for good, we will have a QB. How good is the question...lol

I actually think Brissett will be OK. In some ways having a QB like Brissett isn't bad, especially since we have a running game we can lean on. We just added Bell who should be good in the short to intermediate range. That makes it easier, or maybe I should say clearer for how Stefanski game plans the O. I don't see any reason why Brissett can't be a top 15 QB, which with our running game and D should be good enough to win enough games to be a playoff team.

Yes, I say that knowing that what I hope can happen and what actually happens might be two different things.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 11:48 AM
I don't think Brissett can be a top 15 qb, but I do think he won't turn the ball over as much as Baker so we won't have to limit our scheme as much and I also think he will handle himself in a far more responsible and professional manner than Baker did.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 12:59 PM
And the Baker bashing continues. With all the issues facing the team of which Mayfield has nothing to do with, let's make sure that we get in our Mayfield hits comparing him to Brissett now.

So, let's jump out there and compare:

2017, Brissett is the starter for the Colts. His record was 4-11 with 3098 passing yards, 58.8% completion pct, 13 TD's and 7 INT's.
2019, Brissett is the starter for the Colts. His record was 7-8 with 2942 passing yards, 60.9% completion pct, 18 TD's and 6 INT's.
Totals: 30 games as a F/T starter, 11-19 record .366, 6040 passing yards (201.3 per game), 59.8 completion pct, 31 TD's and 13 INT's
Career: 2 comebacks, 3 game winning drives

2020, Mayfield is the starter for the Browns. His record was 11-5 with 3563 passing yards, 62.8 completion pct, 26TD's and 8 INT's.
2021, Mayfield is the starter for the Browns. His record was 6-8 with 3010 passing yards, 60.5 completion pct, 17 TD's and 13 INT's in a year where he was injured for 12 1/2 of the 4 games he played in.
Totals: 30 games as a F/T starter, 17-13 record .566, 6573 passing yards (219.1 per game) 58.4 completion pct, 43 TD's and 21 INT's.
Career: 6 comebacks, 7 game winning drives

Everything considered, if Brissett is a top 15 QB in your eyes then Mayfield is a top 10 or better in comparison. Stefanski's scheme will have to be more limited and BS with your constant claims of Mayfield not handling himself in a responsible or professional manner after such heavy support of Watson. Mayfield is the poster child for acting in a responsible and professional manner compared to Watson so give it a rest.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 01:00 PM
I said that I did not think Brissett was a top 15 qb. Why do you Baker fans insist on telling lies to make your point?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 03:17 PM
I don't think Brissett can be a top 15 qb, but I do think he won't turn the ball over as much as Baker so we won't have to limit our scheme as much and I also think he will handle himself in a far more responsible and professional manner than Baker did.

Dude, you are slinging some deep crap right now, lol

Brisset is hot garbage. His ceiling is Baker's floor and I don't even see how anything contrary is remotely defensible.

I mean, if you really want and need to lie to yourself and believe that Brisset is better than Baker, and the team is better off with Brisset , then go for it, but it still doesn't make it true.

Also, I propose that Brisset be referred to as Basset because we're Dawgs, but he's about as ferocious as a Basset Hound.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 03:25 PM
I mean, if you really want and need to lie to yourself and believe that Brisset is better than Baker, and the team is better off with Brisset , then go for it, but it still doesn't make it true.

I didn't say Brissett is better than Baker.

You might say that I am slinging crap, but in the end, the Browns are choosing Jacoby over Baker. Baker has already been excused from TC because according to the team, it was a mutual decision and best for both parties.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 03:41 PM
You didn't say it directly, but you absolutely insinuated it.
Yes, they have made that choice, but it's because they blew up any bridge there was with Baker with the "we want an adult" comment, not because Basset is a better option.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 03:47 PM
Please do not use the word "absolutely" when you are speaking of my intentions. I absolutely know what I meant much more-so than you do. Give your own take on the situation and allow me to give mine. Thanks.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 03:53 PM
I absolutely will use the word absolutely whenever I see fit.
You, for some insane reason, as stated above, clearly believe Basset is a better QB than Baker. That's your right, but it doesn't make it any less absurd or immune from being called out.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 04:32 PM

Dude, you are slinging some deep crap right now, lol

Brisset is hot garbage. His ceiling is Baker's floor and I don't even see how anything contrary is remotely defensible.

Also, I propose that Brisset be referred to as Basset because we're Dawgs, but he's about as ferocious as a Basset Hound.

Why are you being mean to Vers? You know his persistent bashing of Baker should go unchallenged. And if you do question him about it, you will be considered as evil, mean or classless. Haven't you figured out how this works yet?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 04:35 PM
Okay, and I will absolutely call you out on when you are absolutely wrong. I did not say or imply that JB was a better QB than Baker. You are just absolutely butt hurt that Baker absolutely is on his way out of town.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 05:09 PM

So how is this not saying Brissett is better? Talking out both sides of your mouth isn't working for you.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 05:32 PM
Okay, and I will absolutely call you out on when you are absolutely wrong. I did not say or imply that JB was a better QB than Baker. You are just absolutely butt hurt that Baker absolutely is on his way out of town.

Feel free to disagree with people as much as you want. That's what we do here, despite you claiming it is a personal attack when people do it with you.

And, nope, I don't care that Baker is on his way out. I'm annoyed with this franchise in How they did it, and with Whom they chose for it, but in the end he's just another QB in the carousel, just like Basset and Watson will be. And, you absolutely, most definitely made the insinuation that Basset is better and anyone that knows anything about anything knows there is no way that holds any water at all.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 05:35 PM
*Brissett
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 05:39 PM
Dawgs.... Basset. As ferocious and feared as Basset Hound.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 06:11 PM
but in the end, the Browns are choosing Jacoby over Baker.

The insinuation was Brissett is better than Baker. You don't "limit the offense" with a better QB.

And then there is this statement that completely ignores and lacks any context to the situation with the Browns, Watson and Baker. smh
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 07:33 PM
Okay, I will be more clear as to what I believe about the two QBs.

I think Baker is one of the best 32 qbs in the league. I don't think Brissett is as good of a qb as Baker. I hope that is clear enough.

I tried to list one positive from JB's game and said I did not think he would turn it over as much which might help Stefanski w/his play calling. However, that is just an opinion and he may turn it over even more. I don't think so, but anything is possible.

I then added something along the lines that believe JB will be more responsible and professional than Baker. That does not make him a better qb, but it sure helps the team and organization to have less drama.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 07:51 PM
There’s a Baker bickering session in every thread now?

I think we can all agree on a few things…

He’s likely never going to play for us again.
It was handled very badly by the browns.
It was handled at least pretty poorly by baker as well.
Some maintain a glimmer of hope that both sides will suck it up in the face of an inevitably long Watson suspension but that remains very unlikely.
When he’s healthy he’s better than Brissett, undoubtedly, but more drama.
Whether you liked him before or not is kind of irrelevant at this point. It is what it is.
Brissett is probably the rock chucker game 1. Probably game 17.

I’m the immortal words of Chris Rock…. Let it goooooo.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
There’s a Baker bickering session in every thread now?

I'm pretty sure we're just a day or two from the high gas prices being Baker's fault
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 11:00 PM
j/c:

Mark Twain had a very famous saying about what's going on here.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 11:39 PM
Two times a year, I love it when you can go to the OTA and Training camp thread because it's a great place to hear info, (that's hard to find) about who's doing well in the practices.
And the other time a year it's great to go to the signings and player movement thread because every time you open it you only hear about players that recently signed, even obscure ones, and how they fit into position groups. (nothing else)
So, apart from this time, I almost always try to avoid putting anything in them, because those two are almost exclusively for player news and practice news. But... Since I'm going to clutter it up anyway, why not go overboard...
I propose we refer to Brissett as Basset

^ That made me think of the bluegrass song "Tennessee Hound Dog" (by the Osbournes) which includes some of these lyrics.
" He's a dynamite, uptight, outa site backyard romeo-o-o-o"
he looks like ugly oned-over, some dog lovers have said, but he's got more sense in the end of his nose then they've got in their head,
Tennesee Hound dog, Tenn-e-see hou--nnnd doggg, ...
"When he gets that certain kind of look on his face, the she hounds run for a hiding place, when he takes a notion all the girl dogs know,
he's a dynamite, uptight, outta sight, back yard Ro-mee-oooooh
"he looks like skin on a bone pile - A cat wouldn't give him a chance, but when he stretches his long legs out a fox don't stand a chance, Tennessee hound dog, Tennessee hound doggg
Sad faced mooney eyed creature His ears hang down to his knees, The she hounds call him a has been, an old aged home for fleas-- Tenessee hound dog. But
"When he gets that certain kind of look on his face, the She hounds run for a hiding place, cause when he takes a notion all the girl dogs know he's a dynamite, uptight, outta-sight backyard Ro-me-ooh" Tennessee hound dogggg, Tenessee Hound doggg!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: News from OTAs - 06/09/22 11:55 PM
j/c:

Mark Twain had a very famous saying about what's going on here.
He's not the one who said, " I wouldn't want to join any club that would have 'me' as a member." (That was some Rosevelt or somebody, politician.)
Bobby Knight: The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win.
2nd. somebody: It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.
Posted By: eotab Re: News from OTAs - 06/10/22 05:37 PM
Steve one thing - you gave us 2 years example on Baker stating 62.8 and 60.5 completion pct. Then in you totals state 58.4% ??? how can that be
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/12/22 12:29 AM
" I wouldn't want to join any club that would have 'me' as a member."

Groucho Marx
Posted By: Damanshot Re: News from OTAs - 06/12/22 12:53 PM

Feel free to disagree with people as much as you want. That's what we do here, despite you claiming it is a personal attack when people do it with you.

And, nope, I don't care that Baker is on his way out. I'm annoyed with this franchise in How they did it, and with Whom they chose for it, but in the end he's just another QB in the carousel, just like Basset and Watson will be. And, you absolutely, most definitely made the insinuation that Basset is better and anyone that knows anything about anything knows there is no way that holds any water at all.

I don't want to get in the middle between you and Vers, but you nailed it... regardless of what anyone thinks of Baker, he worked his butt off, brought respectability to this franchise for the first time since it's rebirth.

The way the team handled this was pure trash. Absolute TRASH!

I think we all know that Watson is probably a better QB than Baker in so many areas.. But for me, character still matters,, Clearly, if it comes to a battle of character, Watson can't hold a candle to Mayfield....

And yes, Character matters to me.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: News from OTAs - 06/12/22 01:02 PM
Honestly - I don't think Baker's character is without fault. There are a few things he's done that most fans would prefer he had reeled his neck in - The Duke Johnson comments, the Hue stare down, recently talking about his feelings and players more interested in their paycheck than winning, publicly seeking a trade ... none of that is good. But compared to the new guy - it's better. DW publicly sought a trade because he simply didn't get to have input on a new HC. He has 24 women alleging sexual misconduct or abuse. He paid off a "Spa" owner - who was supplying these women. He's got a minimum of 66 different women lined up over a period of 17 months. Instead of just finding consensual willing Happy Endings - there's clearly a pattern, at one point at least, of wanting to coerce or manipulate the situation. We have a police officer in charge of the investigation who says the TEAM who worked the case all felt crimes were committed.

So Baker isn't squeaky clean by any stretch. But he's a choir boy in comparison. Ironically some are brutally hard on Baker - but give DW an absolute free pass. Shocker.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: News from OTAs - 06/12/22 06:14 PM
No he's not. What seems amazing to me is the order of people's priority lists on which is most important and how they wish to detract from the magnitude of it.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: News from OTAs - 06/12/22 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
Honestly - I don't think Baker's character is without fault. There are a few things he's done that most fans would prefer he had reeled his neck in - The Duke Johnson comments, the Hue stare down, recently talking about his feelings and players more interested in their paycheck than winning, publicly seeking a trade ... none of that is good. But compared to the new guy - it's better. DW publicly sought a trade because he simply didn't get to have input on a new HC. He has 24 women alleging sexual misconduct or abuse. He paid off a "Spa" owner - who was supplying these women. He's got a minimum of 66 different women lined up over a period of 17 months. Instead of just finding consensual willing Happy Endings - there's clearly a pattern, at one point at least, of wanting to coerce or manipulate the situation. We have a police officer in charge of the investigation who says the TEAM who worked the case all felt crimes were committed.

So Baker isn't squeaky clean by any stretch. But he's a choir boy in comparison. Ironically some are brutally hard on Baker - but give DW an absolute free pass. Shocker.

How many women have sued Baker Mayfield over real or perceived sexual misconduct.. That's what I'm talking about.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: News from OTAs - 06/12/22 10:33 PM
Thanks for clarifying.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: News from OTAs - 06/13/22 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Watson can't hold a candle to Mayfield....And yes, Character matters to me.

Neither are examples of 'exemplary character'. Watson will need to really apply himself to turning things around here. And also: fans have very short memories.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: News from OTAs - 06/13/22 11:38 PM
I think many fans have long memories.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: News from OTAs - 06/13/22 11:49 PM
Definitely agree that Baker showed signs of immaturity on a few different occasions. I think he is thin-skinned. Hopefully he has seen that it’s in his best interest to shutty on social media.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by bbrowns32

Neither are examples of 'exemplary character'. Watson will need to really apply himself to turning things around here. And also: fans have very short memories.

SO, can you tell me when the last time Baker was in trouble with the Law? When was the last time he was sued by 24 women?

All players with a high motor and high desire to excel like Baker seems to have, will step on toes from time to time.. That's not a character flaw, but it may be annoying.. He's not in danger of getting suspended.

So please, quit trying to measure what DW has done to Baker....They just aren't the same thing...
Posted By: PETE314 Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 01:24 PM
While, I have differing opinions on Baker Mayfield than Vers....I certainly don't think his comment was "insinuating" that Brisset is a better QB. He is "probably" right that Brissett will "probably" turn the ball over less. He is "probably" right that his maturity may help things in the lockeroom. The point is...he has valid points. He "definitely" did NOT say that Brissett was a better QB. Any "insinuation" is an "interpretation" and "supposition" by the reader. That is on "US"...not him. And basing it on prior posts is not 100% fair. Past posts can provide some "context", but we still need to look at what was said. (Isn't looking at words as written supposed to be the society we are currently in?) Yes, we know Vers doesn't care for Baker...but that doesn't mean we have to put words into his mouth. (or into the mouths of any other poster)

Concerning Baker...we need to separate his "maturity" with him tapping into his emotions to "up his game". There is some correlation of the 2, but it is a fine line that Baker has not been always successful walking while at other times channeling it in an amazing fashion. With that said, his emotions were not, and are not, "always" a detriment in the lockeroom. And there were many that followed that energy in College and in the Pro's. I do think Brissett will turn over the ball less...but I also don't think he will throw for as much yardage or throw for as many scores. Baker is a bigger gunslinger with far more arm talent than Brissett. But in Brissett's defense...he also hasn't had an Oline and running game as he is getting in CLE.

We "seem" (in general) to keep saying the FO handled things poorly or Baker screwed this up... The point being in almost any discussion we act like our American political system and take extremes, looking for single causes to the issue/discussion at hand. Plenty of Blame placing on single entities. The reality is that is it usually somewhere in the middle...even if it could be slanted towards one side. There are always misunderstandings, that lead to a domino effect of actions and words.

The FO was placed between a rock and hard place...If they trade Baker before acquiring Watson, and then don't get Watson...they are in a REALLY bad place. But if they get Watson before they trade Baker they lose leverage in trading Baker. We do know they communicated with Baker's team. We don't know what Baker's Team told Baker. We know Baker plays his best with a chip on his shoulder(pun not intended...lol) and we can expect emotional responses and actions from Baker. I honestly believe Bakers letter to the fans was truly a "just in case" type of message...now was there misunderstanding between Baker and the FO...obviously...The FO may not have divulged the second visits, etc...and Baker may not have had the whole picture. He then makes some bad moves with his trade request (at the wrong time) and his podcast. Now is this completely on Baker....as he should have final say on his actions...but maybe they could also be a result of bad advice...This is not as simple of a case as the FO was crappy in their communication and/or Baker is immature...

And to come full circle...lets try and focus on "facts", not supposition, insinuations, and emotions. Insinuation and emotions only make the discussion worse. The discussion goes downhill from there. Opinions vary, and that is a great thing. And this is a place to express those opinions. But lets also take responsibility for our opinions. We do this by asking for clarification instead of insinuating...we do this by not attacking each other....we do this by not over-extrapolating what little is known and keeping an open mind(and if we do...we present it as an opinion, which is what it is, and NOT represent it as FACT). We do this by not jumping straight to the extremes....

Discussions on here have been tiring and exhausting and I don't come here for tiring and exhausting. I want to come here for fun, to gain new perspectives, to get news, and more importantly contribute to what should be an amazing community. But all I see is extremism, rudeness, dichotomy, and it isn't fun by ay means...

We can do better....
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 01:31 PM
That was a very nice post. I'll get this out of the way. I don't think Brissett is a better qb than Baker. I would say so if I did. I'm not shy about voicing my opinions. LOL

As for the rest.......I don't agree w/all of what you said nor should I. You made a lot of great points and presented them in a civil and intelligent manner. I respect that. I think a lot of guys who don't post a lot or quit posting altogether if folks followed your advice about the board becoming less hostile and more civil. Thanks for writing your post and I won't even say which parts I disagree with. It's best to just let your thoughts stand undisturbed.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 03:09 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 03:12 PM
I wonder if the "triple option" stuff is similar in nature to what Shanny does in SF w/Debo and company and/or what KC did w/Kelsey and the crew?
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 03:32 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 03:36 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 03:37 PM
j/c...

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by bbrowns32

He already "applied himself". that why we're where we are now. Making any attempt to think you can compare the moral situation between the two is totally off base and a crazy thing to attempt. I'd really like to know who actually thinks their character is perfect. Other than the arbiter of all things Dawg Talk that is.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 05:44 PM
Thanks for providing us w/information regarding the OTAs, Milk.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 06:59 PM
thumbsup

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 07:20 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 08:41 PM
You make a great point. I have come close to leaving this Board permanently many times.

I come for fun. Like to talk football and a few other things. But what I read is a royal turn off.

Back and forth spiting and biting over and over again. The tone is rotten. Constant sniping.
Hidden barbs and jabs.

Very little discussion on what I enjoy.

I like to hear about others takes on football, the team, all things related to "on the field."

Often I will start a topic to open a football discussion. It decends into the same crap quickly.

Takes all the fun out of what the intent was.

People who I use to have great discussions like Razor, Brown to the bone, good football guys. They no longer post.

If there is real football talk great. All the garbage - over and out.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 10:19 PM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 10:22 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/14/22 10:34 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 12:04 AM
Thank you, Grateful.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

The "impromptu-ness" of it seems curious. Hearing that, to me at least, seems like the team waited until the last minute to let the media know Watson was going to speak so they couldn't get their act together in time to fully gather the questions they wanted to ask. But I'm assuming the media had a bevy of questions piled up for a while anyways.

It really reminded me of the Mike Lombardi hire in the sense that Banner knew Lombardi was considered trash by the town so they announced a early Friday morning PC at the last minute on where media had to high-tail it to Berea to participate.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 12:43 AM
Perhaps.

My take is a bit different. Her report made me think that it was Watson who wanted to get out in front of things a bit. I have no proof of that, it was just something she said during the course of that piece that made me feel that way.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 12:49 AM
The press asked good questions. As the tweet shared by Grateful mentions, the biggest waffle and non-answer came when asked about the revelation that DW had offered to settle when Miami was looking to trade for him. (I think that is when he is supposed to have offered to settle). It sort of/seems to contradict some of the things DW said in the first interview - and his answer appeared to me along the lines of "Oh yeah, well that was then, this is now. That was Miami and a different legal team, and this is now" .... I think DW is in a tremendously difficult place to answer questions. And it is all well and good to be forthright in your convictions - in many ways he has to be. But in the face of the newer findings - the number of women, the pay off to the Spa Manager who was sourcing some of these women - sticking by the "I've never disrespected a woman" sounds hollow at best. Just how I see it - but I listened while working so maybe I missed some connotation.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 12:54 AM
Maybe you can put that crap in one of the many Watson threads? Seriously, how many threads to you Baker fans need to hijack to get your way? I say this because that same info is already in the Watson threads. It's like a handful of you are desperately trying to stop any football conversation by constantly trashing Watson in some lame ass attempt to bring Baker back. Baker is NOT coming back. He's done.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 12:56 AM
Who the heck was that addressed to?

* To add - Memphis's post was directly related to tough questions Watson faced. Most of the DW interview - the subject of the Grateful Tweet - was about the DW issues. And my comment about the settlement was directly raised in that Tweet/Interview. . . . ey ey ey
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 12:58 AM
Well, it looks like he was talking to himself. That's a red flag. wink
Posted By: mgh888 Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 01:01 AM
Well, it looks like he was talking to himself. That's a red flag. wink

And the only person that keeps bringing up our Ex-QB is him. Mentioned him by name 3 times in a post responding to a post about Watson's interview and the content of Watson's interview.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 01:44 PM
Stupid Kicker.

Thank you for bringing us those updates!!
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
The press asked good questions. As the tweet shared by Grateful mentions, the biggest waffle and non-answer came when asked about the revelation that DW had offered to settle when Miami was looking to trade for him. (I think that is when he is supposed to have offered to settle). It sort of/seems to contradict some of the things DW said in the first interview - and his answer appeared to me along the lines of "Oh yeah, well that was then, this is now. That was Miami and a different legal team, and this is now" .... I think DW is in a tremendously difficult place to answer questions. And it is all well and good to be forthright in your convictions - in many ways he has to be. But in the face of the newer findings - the number of women, the pay off to the Spa Manager who was sourcing some of these women - sticking by the "I've never disrespected a woman" sounds hollow at best. Just how I see it - but I listened while working so maybe I missed some connotation.

Good grief! "The press asked good questions". There was not one football question asked.

You have an agenda to see this team fail. There is NO doubt of that in my mind.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 02:36 PM
FYI, trials are not held in press conferences.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
Good grief! "The press asked good questions". There was not one football question asked.

You have an agenda to see this team fail. There is NO doubt of that in my mind.

Well you would be incorrect. But that's ok.

As for the "good questions" - the comment was directly in relation to the poster I replied to who was implying that the "impromptu" press conference was sprung to avoid hard questions about his legal situation.
Context is a thing - sorry you missed it.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 04:28 PM
You were certainly only replying in context to something that was already posted by someone else. But don't believe for a minute that will stop them.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 07:14 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/15/22 07:35 PM
Thanks for the updates, Milk. I like how Bell and Watson are lockermates. Not sure if that is an actual word, but oh well. LOL Anyway, I think we need a solid contribution from Bell this year if we are to have success in the passing game.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: News from OTAs - 06/16/22 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
brownie
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: News from OTAs - 06/16/22 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I'd really like to know who actually thinks their character is perfect. Other than the arbiter of all things Dawg Talk that is.
Which one?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: News from OTAs - 06/16/22 02:30 AM
I don't want to get in the middle between you and Vers, but you nailed it... regardless of what anyone thinks of Baker, he worked his butt off, brought respectability to this franchise for the first time since it's rebirth.

The way the team handled this was pure trash. Absolute TRASH!

I think we all know that Watson is probably a better QB than Baker in so many areas.. But for me, character still matters,, Clearly, if it comes to a battle of character, Watson can't hold a candle to Mayfield....

And yes, Character matters to me.

I'd like to know what it would look like when the team handles something in a way other than trash pure trash. edit::: and I'd like a description of how they could have handled things differently this time.

And When I read the " team handled this as trash Absolute Trash." It reminds me of other situations,
The seeking of a 'uarterback that (i'll say wrongly) resulted in Dishone Kizer starting the majority of games in a year.
The decision to bring back a 1-15 coach, and an 0-16 after 1-15 coach. To start another season.

The team waiving Joe Haden when he still had years of good play.
Watching K'Wan Williams play well for the Niners, (or Tremont, on of em), when I know he was a full time option on the Browns a year or so before.
Watching Keenan McCardell have most of his career in Jacksonville and or San Diego, when he began playing well, As a Cleveland Brown.

I'd like to know what it would look like when the team handles some things in thought out, non reactionary ways, and looks like they have an eye for seeing a developing football player, or ability to recognize a good football player, (David Patton) when they have them on their own team in practice.
(Carolina-Miami super bowl, saw it.)
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: News from OTAs - 06/16/22 06:05 PM
Posted By: hitt Re: News from OTAs - 06/16/22 11:36 PM
Guys, I'm down in Florida......hotter than hell.....football question, has anyone seen anything good or bad concerning the Northern Iowa guy, Weston.....how's he been doing, has the shown anything or is it still to early cuz we be in shorts and T shirts. I'm desperate for news on the guy.....he's my sleeper.....yet, no one in a sleeper anymore, news if someone burps....Weston, what's up.....GO Browns!!!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/17/22 12:35 AM
Not much, hitt. I did see this:

5 things to watch at Browns OTAs

The Browns kicked off OTAs Tuesday and will be holding practices in each of the next three weeks leading to mandatory minicamp
May 24, 2022 at 05:04 PM

Anthony Poisal
Staff Writer

052422_OTAs
The offseason program took another step Tuesday as the Browns took the practice field for the start of Phase Three — the period where teams can run organized team activities and hold drills that more closely resemble a full team practice.

The Browns won't quite have a "full" team, though, because OTAs are voluntary. They won't have a full roster at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus until June 14, when the three-day period of mandatory minicamp begins, but a decent chunk of the team is still in Cleveland now to start laying groundwork for 2022.

Here's some of the things worth keeping an eye on in Berea over the next three weeks:

1. How the offense will adapt with Watson

This will be one of the big storylines discussed all the way until Week 1. Prepare to hear plenty of chatter about it throughout the next several weeks, in particular, since OTAs will present the Browns with their first chance to use Watson in a team practice setting.

The Browns could be making several changes to their offense with Watson now under center, or they could deviate very little from the play styles Head Coach Kevin Stefanski has used in his first two years in Cleveland. The Browns have said they'll wait to see Watson practice first before those decisions are official, and now they'll have the next four weeks to finally formulate those plans.

Photos: OTAs - Day 1
Check out photos of players and coaches working throughout the offseason

2. Bell's slot usage

Plenty of focus will be on Bell regardless of where he lines up — the third-round rookie WR has an opportunity to carve an immediate role in a receiver room with lots of spaces open behind Amari Cooper.

The slot position could be Bell's fastest way of climbing the depth chart and taking a big target load as a rookie. The Browns figure to give Bell plenty of reps from that spot between now and training camp, and if the sure-handed receiver can make them count, he could be a top receiving option as early as Week 1.

3. Emerson's slot usage

Both slot positions on the Browns are open, and both could be captured by rookies. The defensive slot role is open, too, after they traded Troy Hill to the Rams, and the Browns' replacement for it could've been made a day before the trade when the they selected Martin Emerson Jr. with the 68th overall pick.

Emerson certainly doesn't have to start his career at the position, though. The Browns have depth at corner and could turn to Greg Newsome II, who played inside on occasion last year, or another one of the guys in the room to be the slot man. But if the Browns believe it could be Emerson, then they could give him a large share of snaps at the position in OTAs.

4. Where does Winfrey start?

The Browns' DT rotation is wide open. Both starters from last season have departed, and the Browns' two biggest additions at the position have been free-agent acquisition Taven Bryan and fourth-round pick Perrion Winfrey, whom some draft analysts believed could've been an early Day 2 pick.

No position battles will be decided in OTAs, but a good first impression from Winfrey could go a long way toward carving a big role as a rookie, whether that comes early in the season or later. He had 5.5 sacks last season at Oklahoma and could become a talented pass rusher in the interior with some more fine-tuning.

5. Other rookie standouts

Third-round rookie DE Alex Wright will be one to watch, too, as are any kicks from fourth-round K Cade York. Wright will be vying for a role in the defensive end rotation, while York is the lone kicker on the roster and will be an intriguing watch throughout all minicamp and training camp practices.

Fifth-round RB Jerome Ford, sixth-round WR Michael Woods II and seventh-round picks DE Isaiah Thomas and C Dawson Deaton will be worth watching as well and will be competing for roles on a roster packed with talent and depth. Another name worth watching could be undrafted WR Isaiah Weston, who impressed in rookie minicamp and is at a position with some of the most openings of any spot on the roster.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-things-to-watch-at-browns-otas
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: News from OTAs - 06/17/22 12:55 AM
Travell Harris Wr from Washington State needs more of a look at the slot receiver.
The Browns should be putting all different personel combinations on the field to see who plays well. Of Course, it doesn't matter they don't seem to care. ( Austin Paztor) would support that point.
Posted By: hitt Re: News from OTAs - 06/17/22 01:02 AM
Thanks Verse Dog, I had missed that.....he's a big body and could/should make some noise with his athletic ability if the show isn't to much for him.....thanks, again...Go Browns
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 11:34 AM
Not sure where to put this? It's not really OTA news, but Jim Donovan is discussing our defensive tackles, Watson's looming suspension, and how Jacoby Brissett will look in this offense.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 12:11 PM
5 takeaways from Browns mandatory minicamp

After three days of practice, the Browns will have a six-week break until they’re back in Cleveland
Jun 17, 2022 at 08:00 AM

Anthony Poisal
Staff Writer

061622_5Things
The Browns concluded their mandatory minicamp Thursday with a practice at FirstEnergy Stadium, the third and final tune-up of the week and last the team will have until training camp begins in late July.

Head Coach Kevin Stefanski kept the three practices light for the Browns, who visited the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Wednesday and practiced only once at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus this week. Still, the week was productive and gave us a peek into how some players have progressed throughout the offseason program, as well as other plans the Browns could have in store for 2022.

Here's five takeaways from minicamp:

Team-bonding will pay dividends during season

Stefanski stressed throughout the offseason program that team-bonding was one of, if not perhaps the biggest priority the Browns were looking to achieve with players back in Cleveland under a setting free of pandemic restrictions.

The Browns coordinated two trips to venues away from CrossCountry Mortgage Campus during the program. The first was a visit to the Cavaliers' team facility, where players took shots instead of practicing on the 10th day of OTAs. The second was the Hall of Fame visit, which followed a light 30-minute practice at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium.

During two of the weekends, QB Deshaun Watson also took the offense on a trip to the Bahamas, and Myles Garrett took the defense on a trip to Miami.

"To be a great team, you have to have that camaraderie," LB Anthony Walker said Wednesday. "You have to have that team mindset because when you go through the dark days — sometimes when you lose — or the dog days of camp, the dog days of this grind, minicamp, and everything like that, you need that team brotherhood and team bond to bring the team together."

Stefanski couldn't implement the same type of relaxed, social-friendly and in-person measures to create team-bonding opportunities his first two seasons as head coach. The activities this offseason, though, clearly had a positive effect on the team as minicamp concluded. Players constantly appeared to be exchanging jokes on the field, and as the final round of interviews concluded Thursday at FirstEnergy Stadium, a few players popped into the scrums to ask their own questions.

D'Ernest Johnson asked Jadeveon Clowney what his goals were this season, to which Clowney replied getting more sacks and tackles for a loss. WR Amari Cooper poked in later, asking if Clowney would come to his birthday party. Clowney chuckled and said he would if he didn't have a football camp on the same day.

It was a fitting scene to end a minicamp built to be enjoyable for the players.

"I think the guys had fun," Stefanski said. "They had fun competing and pushing each other, but I think ultimately we got a lot of work done but we did it in a safe manner."

Offensive groundwork has been laid, but it isn't finished

Most of the Browns were looking to accomplish in minicamp was about the passing game. With three new quarterbacks and 12 padless practices over the course of the offseason program, that philosophy made plenty of sense.

The Browns will likely install several new wrinkles in their offense now that Deshaun Watson is the quarterback. For the last two seasons, Stefanski prefaced the offense on a heavy run game with several play-action passing plays, and while those principles might not change, the Browns do have more room to be flexible with a mobile, strong-armed quarterback like Watson.

Add in the fact that the Browns, who led the league in 13-personnel usage (1 RB, 3 TEs) the last two seasons, no longer have TE Austin Hooper, and it's safe to assume the Browns will spend much of time leading up to Week 1 retooling an offense to fit the strengths of all players on the offense.

"We do want to become masters of the offense by the time Week 1 rolls around," Stefanski said. "It's a process. You can't just plug something into the back of your head and get it. You have to work at it and spend some time with it."

Young players were the core focus

The Browns shuffled several younger players through first-team reps during minicamp and the offseason program. Jacob Phillips was playing first-team MIKE linebacker. Donovan Peoples-Jones, Anthony Schwartz and David Bell were also rotated at wide receiver. Third-round rookie CB Martin Emerson Jr. had a handful of reps on first-team defense. Those were among the most notable, but others were given looks on the top units, too.

The Browns know what they have on most of the roster because they have so many core players who have been here for both of Stefanski's seasons. So, with only a finite amount of reps before training camp, minicamp provided the coaches an optimal time to evaluate the younger talent with an even greater focus in this particular minicamp.

"We have a lot of young guys who we are excited about," Stefanski said. "There is so much that goes into it. There is so much from a meeting standpoint. There is so much from the workouts and being out here in practice. We throw a lot at them. It is hard for me to single one guy out, but we are really excited about the young guys. It is as much to do with what they can bring on the field with off the field."

David Bell's hands were in midseason form

Speaking of young players, Bell, the third-round rookie WR from Purdue, went weeks without dropping a pass in practice.

He was asked Wednesday in his media interview if he's actually dropped a pass at all during the offseason program. He said he has, but it came back during the Browns' first or second OTA practice. That's impressive stuff for a rookie who has taken a considerable chunk of the throwing reps the last month.

"I'm real hard on myself," Bell said. "I think the first few days wasn't what I projected it would be. It was just a matter of getting on my feet and getting an understanding of the plays, but I think each and every day, I progress."

Bell has primarily been used in the slot role throughout the offseason program but will receive plenty of reps on the outside in training camp. The Browns are looking for several receivers to step up behind Cooper, and Bell — as well as Schwartz and Peoples-Jones — will likely be the top candidates the Browns count on.

"He wants to be good at this so you see him working," Stefanski said. "He is the guy who gets extra. He will be in the facility at all hours working really hard with coach (pass game coordinator/wide receivers coach Chad) O'Shea to refine the game. He's a rookie, so he has plenty of room to grow and will have time to do that, but he's doing a nice job."

Clowney expects bigger, better things in Year 2 because of who's behind him

We're ending this list with one final note from the defensive side of the ball.

The Browns will have two of the game's best pass rushers for the second consecutive year in Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney, who re-signed with the Browns in May and will look to stack an even better season than his first in Cleveland last year. Clowney totaled nine sacks, his best since 2018, and thrived as offenses had to decide whether to stack blockers against him or Garrett, who finished with a franchise-record 16 sacks.

The duo produced 25 total sacks, the highest combined sack total by Browns teammates, since Reggie Camp (14) and Clay Matthews (12) had 26 in 1984.

It's reasonable to believe the duo could be even better in 2022. Clowney explained why Thursday, but his explanation wasn't about Garrett — he knows he'll help him already — but rather the continuity at linebacker.

Anthony Walker, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Sione Takitaki and Jacob Phillips all appear to be in line to carry the biggest roles at the position. Clowney played with all of them, and he believes that chemistry will help him produce even more in 2022.

"Everybody's back," he said. "I already know how (Walker) feels and what he likes to do, and that makes it easy on myself. I can look back there and don't even have to ask. I already know how he does. That's what will make it a lot better, playing with the same guys again instead of bouncing around and trying to figure out new guys."

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/5-takeaways-from-browns-mandatory-minicamp
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 12:46 PM
Report provides injury updates on Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

The Cleveland Browns enter over a month off between the end of mandatory minicamp this week and the beginning of training camp in late July. As is true with all teams, injuries can derail a season quickly as could significant discipline for QB Deshaun Watson.

Jack Conklin’s recovery from last year’s devastating knee injury was the biggest medical issue coming into the offseason. Greedy Williams and Jakeem Grant joined Conklin in sitting out minicamp practices with undisclosed injuries.

A big scare in the final practice of minicamp, which took place at FirstEnergy Stadium, was when Denzel Ward left the field earlier with medical staff.

According to a new report, Ward dodged any significant foot injury and should be ready for training camp:

An MRI and X-ray on the left foot which Ward injured during Thursday’s practice inside First Energy Stadium showed no structural damage, a league source confirmed to the Beacon Journal. He is expected to be available once training camp starts July 27.

The good news continued with Williams’ injury:

Greedy Williams spent much of the three days working with a trainer off to the side as he recovers from what is, per reports, a sprained ankle that also isn’t expected to be a long-term issue.

This early in the offseason, Cleveland likely played it cautious with any injury concerns. With Troy Hill traded in the offseason and Greg Newsome II moving inside during three-receiver sets, Ward and Williams will be the team’s primary outside corners.

Health is vital in the NFL, Ward and Williams being healthy for training camp is great news going into the weekend.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 01:06 PM
I wonder how Conklin is progressing?
Posted By: jfanent Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 01:07 PM
Health is vital in the NFL, Ward and Williams being healthy for training camp is great news going into the weekend.

Talk about putting a positive spin on both of our starting CB's being injured. Might be my paranoia talking.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 01:10 PM
I wonder how Conklin is progressing?

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 01:14 PM
Good health means good offensive line play
Jack Conklin didn't participate in any of the on-field portions of either OTAs or minicamp. However, he was around the facility throughout the offseason as he rehabs from a ruptured patellar tendon suffered last November.

That was about the only thing missing from an offensive line that looks to get back to being one of the best in the AFC, if not the entire league. Nick Harris worked extensively at center with the first unit as he gets the initial crack at replacing veteran J.C. Tretter.

All-Pro left guard Joel Bitonio didn't take part in the OTAs in Berea, but was present throughout the minicamp. Left tackle Jedrick Wills didn't show signs of the ankle injury which seemed to plague his second year in the league.

"I think Jed is right where we need him," Stefanski said. "He has worked extremely hard this offseason. I thought he came back in really, really good shape so it is just a continuation of that work, and I think he will be right where we need him to be."

Reach Chris at ceasterling@thebeaconjournal.com.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 01:20 PM
Thanks Grateful. That's concerning news about Conklin. It's important to have him in the lineup.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 09:47 PM
I read recently they hope to have him ready by September, which means Conklin still could get some reps in TC. He’s a veteran lineman, though, he won’t need a ton of work before the opener.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: News from OTAs - 06/18/22 10:03 PM
Thanks lamp.
© DawgTalkers.net