Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
A
Legend
Legend
A
SOME people were raised with morals, and knowing the fact money doesn't buy happiness, it just buys stuff, and with more stuff, more money is needed.

I see it daily: The couple with a fashion mag. home, 2 new cars in the drive, a boat or r.v., or a place at the lake. (and if you have a place at "the lake" you need a boat, and a sea doo,,,,, but then 2 sea doos)

I have a friend that sold his house - $359,000, so he could (and his wife) move to "the lake". Then he found out how much it cost to live at "the lake". So he bought a different house. And he works his butt off, often times 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, so he can have his "place at the lake". he wants to come across as wealthy. As it is, he has a decent house, and a trailer at a campground near a lake.

Money, or the want of it, or the desire to look like you have it, is a bad thing.

yeah, some people have ego problems. They want to be what the aren't, but put on a huge front. Airs are just that - airs. I can spot a fake a mile away. Like the guy that brags about how many guns he has........

I'm glad I was raised how I was. Simple. I grew up thinking my parents were lower middle class, and by their lifestyle, you'd have never guessed any different.

Wife and I are low middle class, if even that high. By our lifestyle, you would guess that. And that's fine. I'm happy. Wife wants more. More what? Money ain't gonna make you happy.

mac #1947209 05/26/22 11:55 PM
Legend
Legend
What the heck was going on there? Sounds like that school and the local police force were ill prepared to handle an active shooter. I know for a fact that all of our local schools have active shooter plans, drill regularly and that all school entrances are locked and monitored at the first sign of trouble. All but the main entrances are locked for the entire school day here.

They had:

- The gunman outside the school for 12min shooting his gun
- Then he was able to walk right into the school through an unlocked entrance
- No police response for 14min after the 911 call
- Parents were able to get into the school and remove children before the police entered the building
- The Border patrol officers who took care of the situation didn't enter the building until 40min after the shooting started

It's hard to wrap my head around this.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
2 members like this: FATE, Versatile Dog
jfanent #1947210 05/27/22 12:42 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is easy to second guess what happened, we probably won’t know for a while, and some truths may be buried.

But I will ask… are we expecting to see a textbook response from a small police department who’s officers were going into a situation where they be overmatched, their pistol feels like a cap gun? And there is also also a high likelihood that they know some of the children in the school or that the children are there own.

There may have been hesitancy, “business decisions” may have been made. Doors intended to secure the children may have aided the gunman… the worse may have been over and the smart move was to wait for reinforcements.

This tragedy will haunt many for the rest of their lives.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
The only way to prevent entry is to deny entry.
The only way to prevent being shot is to deny gun availability....

I wish people would not say things like that. I respect your opinion, but do you really think that is the right approach when trying to convince gun owners to re-think their position? I support changing the gun laws. Things like raising the age of gun ownership and background checks. On the other hand, I understand those who are avid in protecting their rights as gun owners are afraid to concede anything because it will just lead to stricter and stricter gun laws. Denying gun availability to innocent people is not going to eliminate guns and the "bad guys" will be the ones who are able to find them, just like w/drugs. Hard line stances either way are bad ideas. Compromise is a much more effective tool when wanting to invoke change.

jfanent #1947216 05/27/22 06:42 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I hope that all of those things from mac's article are not true. Sounds really, really bad and I won't be surprised if "race" becomes a topic of conversation moving forward.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
The more one shares their personal feelings over time, the more they get used to it. I can see this being an issue, particularly for men, as talking about one's feelings is often considered a faux pas in society thanks to gender roles and culture. I've also noticed that women in general seem to have more friends, talk about their interpersonal issues whereas men may have friends as well, feelings sharing is seen as a taboo subject.

Men have buds, pals, runnin' mates, wingmen and bros: other fellows who share hobbies and interests, but very little of themselves.
It's also one of the main reasons why we die on average 8-10 years earlier than our wives.
#mensmentalhealth

Q: Why does the high-dollar Wall St. stock trader pay 1k/hr to see a shrink?
A: Because he doesn't actually have a Real Friend to talk to who actually knows, hears, and cares about him.

It's the same reason he pays 1k/hr for 'Misty' to feign for him a version of the human intimacy he lacks in his life. They go to dinner, a show, and back to the loft for a (hollow, shallow, predictable) 'happy ending.' 5k later, he still can't get what he needs, because he can't give what is necessary in order to receive. No money in the world can fill that hole, and the hole was built into him from Day One. His only real hope for happiness or fulfilment is to do the one thing he's never been raised or trained to do.

That was just one example of the gender role issue, which I'm glad you pointed out. In every strata of society, from Wall St. to Main St. Smalltown, USA, this an issue. Guys are raised with a tool kit that is only half-full. It limits us as a society.

Very astute points by both of you. I realize that your two posts and tasty's post were in response to something I said earlier, so allow me to expand just a bit. We can argue until the cows come home over guns and political affiliations. In fact, we have been arguing over those things for as long as I can remember, but the problem never goes away. Clem, you mentioned in a previous post that perhaps there are studies being done as we speak about things like profiling. If true, I would love to see more emphasis placed on trying to determine Why and how is our society producing more and more social misfits that ultimately think that mass murder is appropriate?

In the meantime, here is some friendly advice for those of you who are parents or care providers of young children. Limit the amount of time they spend on things like the computer, watching TV, playing video games, etc. Get them involved in outside activities, whether it be various sports, music, dance, etc. Spend meaningful time w/them on a daily basis. Talk to them. Provide guidance while showing that you respect their individuality. Provide a nurturing environment while teaching them the importance of responsibility and accountability. Do not make excuses for their poor behavior and do not leave them isolated for extended periods of time. My children are older, but my wife and I were very diligent about such things. I remember our kids complaining about how their friends got to play video games and watch TV a lot more than they did. We were so mean. LOL It's a big job and it requires a ton of time where you put your own desires on the back burner. However, it's worth all the time in the world. We brought these children into the world and it is our duty to raise them properly in homes that are nurturing, respectful, and loving.

EveDawg #1947218 05/27/22 07:30 AM
Legend
Legend
go buy another gun. It really is that simple to simpletons. Buy another gun. You’ll be safe with more guns.pffft. The Simpleton’s with guns. Hurry up now simpleton’s get your guns before they take them from you. Lol

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 05/27/22 07:37 AM.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
mac #1947225 05/27/22 08:32 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maker of rifle used by Texas gunman draws fury for 'incendiary' ads

https://www.yahoo.com/news/maker-rifle-used-texas-gunman-210311160.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
mac #1947226 05/27/22 08:33 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-bill-cassidy-claims-people-092133091.html

Sen. Bill Cassidy claims people need AR-15s to defend themselves from 'feral pigs,' inadvertently echoing an old meme about 'feral hogs'

mac #1947227 05/27/22 08:34 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn't copy and paste the articles because there are photos/tweets that don't come across and are fairly essential to the articles

Jester #1947239 05/27/22 10:12 AM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
I saw someone talking about the school shooting and existing security measures the school had in effect on tik tok last night and I couldn't believe it so I looked it up on the school website.

Uvalde school district had its own police force consisting of 4 officers. This includes a Chief, a detective, and two officers. It also had (4) licensed counselors for support for the kids. Also had case managers

The school district also already had a social media monitoring service, Raptor Technologies to monitor visitors who might be sex predators, threat assessment teams, canine services to detect drugs, ammo, gunpowder and firearms.

The buildings had burglar and alarms systems, security vestibules and outdoor buzz in systems, metal detectors and the kids were supposed to be hand wand inspected when they entered the school.

They also had a locked at all times classroom policy
They also list 124 security cameras, but don't say specifically if any were installed at Robb.

But it does say that Robb Elementary had a perimeter security fence and encircled the building.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZF2gE6nkl8cwoJpiSkNm8VNNQwNyVsV0/view

There is not much more you can do to to fortify a building or provide security

Now, I do not know if all of those precautions were working as they were designed.

Last edited by northlima dawg; 05/27/22 10:12 AM.
mac #1947245 05/27/22 10:26 AM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N

FrankZ #1947246 05/27/22 10:27 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Yeah, like you have a permit to buy a fully automatic weapon. rofl

Fill out the form, pay yer money... wait.. and wait.. and wait...

Transfer it to a FFL that can accept and it sits and waits for you...

If I was gonna go down that route I'd likely do a trust for it. I have friends that and all attorney type that deal with that if I need it.

Not really sure what is so funny.

I see you're no longer claiming you have a permit to buy fully automatic weapons. At least that's a step in the right direction.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
mac #1947249 05/27/22 10:36 AM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Also, on a side note-this 18 yr old was arrested with the gun about 2 miles from my house.

supposedly the kid had some sort of beef in the school and went to a pawn shop in Youngstown and passed the background check and picked up his AR-15 type weapon and ammo. In talking to the kid, I believe a worker in the pawn shop found out where the kid went to school. The worker in the pawn shop knew somebody in the school and gave them a call and was told that this kid was in some [censored] at the school and was making threats-so they called the authorities and arrested the kid and are holding him without bail pending a mental eval.

The complaint says the threats caused an evacuation of the PIA School for Aviation Maintenance near the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport on Youngstown Kingsville Road.

According to dispatchers, a call came in shortly before 4 p.m. Wednesday that a student was on his way to the school after buying a gun and two boxes of ammunition from a Youngstown pawnshop to shoot the school up.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I can spot a fake a mile away. Like the guy that brags about how many guns he has........

I can spot a classless cheap shot artist a mile away too.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Texas cop says officers didn't rush to find gunman because 'they could have been shot' then claims they DELIBERATELY locked inside classroom to save other students: Experts slam 'disgusting' decision that doctors say sealed the fate of injured kids

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...cers-retreated-gunman-shot.html#comments

P
Legend
Legend
P
Reports I saw said while all entry doors to the school were supposed to be locked to prevent entry, the shooter found one that was not. Here is a snippet from a much longer article questioning the police response and their conflicting reports.

After crashing his truck, Ramos fired on two people coming out of a nearby funeral home, Escalon said. He then entered the school ”unobstructed” through an apparently unlocked door at about 11:40 a.m.

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-s...ootings-56a4d01fb1cda19947db89fcb6bd85fd

A plan is only as good as such a plan is implemented.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1947260 05/27/22 11:20 AM
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Texas Rep. Tony Gonzales says gunman was one of two 'Columbine infatuated' teens arrested FOUR YEARS ago in Uvalde for plot to shoot up a school

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-years-ago-threatening-shoot-school.html

P
Legend
Legend
P
He already walked back that false claim.....

Texas Rep. Tony Gonzales WALKS BACK unfounded claim Uvalde gunman was arrested four years ago for plotting to shoot up school after slamming cops for letting him 'slip through the cracks'

Tony Gonzales said on Friday that Salvador Ramos was arrested four years ago when he was a juvenile

He claimed the then 14-year-old told people: 'When I'm a senior in 2022, I am going to shoot up a school'

'This wasn't hearsay. This is what I got late last night. The shooter was arrested four years ago,' he said

It was during an appearance on FOX on Friday morning at around 7.33am

DailyMail.com can confirm that two 'Columbine-infatuated' boys were arrested in 2018 over a shooting plot

However their identities are not known because they were juveniles at the time

Uvalde Police quickly denied Gonzales' claim on Friday, prompting him to walk it back an hour later

Ramos legally purchased the two AR-15s he used in the attack last week hours his 18th birthday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-years-ago-threatening-shoot-school.html

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1947268 05/27/22 12:23 PM
Legend
Legend
Okay Pit, thanks for the update.

PitDAWG #1947270 05/27/22 12:35 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

If I was gonna go down that route I'd likely do a trust for it. I have friends that and all attorney type that deal with that if I need it.

I see you're no longer claiming you have a permit to buy fully automatic weapons. At least that's a step in the right direction.

When did I claim to have a permit to buy one? Quit reading what I write then making up your own story. That is why I say you are here for the fight, because that is you trying to make one.

This is what I said:

I've peeked at getting something nice in full auto, but the prices are insane for anything I would actually want to own.

PitDAWG #1947271 05/27/22 12:35 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The article says that we don't know the names of the 2 juveniles because their records are sealed. So we don't know that the shooter was one of them, but we don't know that he wasn't either. It is possible Gonzales got access to those records then made his statement, then realized that he shouldn't have had access to it. I don't know if accessing those inappropriately is a crime. Also, if the records were sealed, then I don't think it would come up on a background check either. Not sure

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
PitDAWG #1947272 05/27/22 12:35 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You only really need to look in the mirror.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I've peeked at getting something nice in full auto, but the prices are insane for anything I would actually want to own.

Well which is it then? Were you trying to indicate you had a full auto permit or that you were considering committing a federal gun crime?

I'll let you decide.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Well which is it then? Were you trying to indicate you had a full auto permit or that you were considering committing a federal gun crime?

I'll let you decide.

Well duh you got me... rolleyes I never thought of it that way. rolleyes

I have looked at pricing. It isn't hard to find full auto for sale. Once you find what you want to fill out the forms and give em yer money. You need to list the gun you are interested in on the forms, so you have to know which one it is. If they approve your forms you get your gun. All done through a FFL with a class 3 license.

With apologies to Reagan, you seem to know a lot that isn't.

V
Legend
Legend
V

When did I claim to have a permit to buy one? Quit reading what I write then making up your own story. That is why I say you are here for the fight, because that is you trying to make one.

This is what I said:

It's what he does. He makes things up or twists your words around. When you try and point out what you actually did or did not say, he moves the goal posts. Toxic.

P
Legend
Legend
P
#manup

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Now who's trying to twist what they said?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Still you. I never said anything about a permit. You did.

I said you have to fill out the form (Form 4 BTW) give them the money for the tax stamp ($200) and wait. And wait. And wait. My understanding is clearance is taking 12-18 months.

To fill out Form 4 you have to know what you are getting. You need the serial number, it goes on the form. You don't just ask list something you would like to have.

You still know a lot that isn't. You are still here for the fight.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And then we have some who are just whiners and get easily offended when everyone else doesn't kiss their ass. Speaking of someone needing a mirror.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Pit, Port, OCD, PS, MGH, DC, Jester, and a bunch of others...

im really struggling right now. dead ass serious. seeing so many people around the country get angry and voice more support over guns than the people that were murdered in buffalo and ulvade is really getting to me.

seeing so many people fight for a tool harder than an individual makes me want to just isolate further than i already have from society.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A

He's not changing anything. He "peeked", as in, 'looked into' getting a full auto whatever. He wasn't comfortable with the prices of the guns, as well as probably, the fees involved to get a FFL. So he quit looking.

You read way too much into things.

P
Legend
Legend
P
In hindsight maybe so.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have not read all the posts .. I dont know if this was mentioned. The gun salesmen has blood on his hands. How do you sell an 18 year old two assault rifles and thousands of rounds of ammo in a couple days. I hope he enjoys the money he made. Sure he didnt break the law. But common sense says he should have known this wasnt right.

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: Jester
P
Legend
Legend
P
The guns and ammo were sold 100% legally according to the existing laws that are on the books. If it "isn't right" it should not be legal. The only thing I would hold the person who sold him the guns liable for would be IF the kid made statements that he intended to carry out such an action or made statements that he intended to commit since a violent act with those weapons and that ammunition. At that point I would consider it the gun salesman's duty to report it at the time of purchase. I have seen zero evidence that anything remotely like that happened.

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Originally Posted by BADdog
I have not read all the posts .. I dont know if this was mentioned. The gun salesmen has blood on his hands. How do you sell an 18 year old two assault rifles and thousands of rounds of ammo in a couple days. I hope he enjoys the money he made. Sure he didnt break the law. But common sense says he should have known this wasnt right.

Fortunately, while a liquor store can lose their license for selling alcohol to a person who is too drunk - or a convenience store can lose their license for selling cigarettes to a 17yo with a fake ID -- we've been able to implement strong laws to make sure that a gun store can never have their license questioned for selling two assault rifles and a thousand rounds of ammo to a mass shooter.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 05/27/22 02:26 PM.

~Lyuokdea
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nope, the gun salesman did nothing wrong. Sold a gun legally to an 18 year old.

Selling an AR-15 to an 18 year old is what is wrong. The 18 year old can't buy a handgun, but an AR-15 is fine.

That is wrong. Plain wrong, yet the politicians see nothing wrong with it.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Lyuokdea
Originally Posted by BADdog

Fortunately, while a liquor store can lose their license for selling alcohol to a person who is too drunk - or a convenience store can lose their license for selling cigarettes to a 17yo with a fake ID -- we've been able to implement strong laws to make sure that a gun store can never have their license questioned for selling two assault rifles and a thousand rounds of ammo to a mass shooter.

This is not accurate. A FFL is supposed to pay attention and if there is something that indicates seling to someone that is dangerous they are obliged to report to BAFTE. FFLs have lost licenses over thing like that. And there may be state level laws that also require such, in MD there's all sorts of extra stuff.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

FrankZ #1947319 05/27/22 03:13 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
I think there should be age requirements and license classifications for certain types of guns that are more dangerous than others with restrictions.

rifle/shotguns/handguns of certain types are not the same as the AR-15, and I just don't get the reasoning that they will use something else, something else may not be as lethal.

The .223/5.7 mm round that is used in AR-15 may be small, but it is pretty destructive to anything that it hits because of its velocity.

I pulled up an old snopes article on the issue.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ar-15-bullet-hole-size-wound/

here is another article.

https://www.wired.com/2016/06/ar-15-can-human-body/

Magazine size is also important. Time to change, is enough time to stop someone.

For the life of me, I don't understand the selling of ballistic armor to individuals.

More people are killed by .22 than other calibers.

There is nothing magical about the AR-15. Stoner designed a good tool, but it isn't some highly destructive gun. It barely meets the standards for hunting deer in some states, there's lots of guns (handguns and long guns) that are far more powerful.

I don't believe that your .22 statement is at all accurate.

More articles on the AR-15 lethalness. It is pretty well established that it cavitates through the body.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/health/parkland-shooting-victims-ar15.html

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinio...iologist-perspective-20180223-story.html

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Mass Shootings

Link Copied to Clipboard