Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by LexDawg
So do posts discussing other posters belong in Pure Football? If we are going to push for posts to be in one forum or another that should be applied when posting, right? I'd think those kind of things would be relegated to Tailgate or maybe Smack Shack.

I would be all for that. I can easily make my points w/out trashing others. However, when one reads post after post that are insulting, one loses patience over time w/the board bullies. Especially those that lie and lie about their lies. But, by all means.........push that agenda. I'll support it and have zero problems w/making my points w/out mentioning other posters.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/02/22 08:31 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Browns Break Silence on Baker Mayfield’s Future Amid Trade Drama

By J.R. De Groote
Updated Jun 2, 2022 at 2:35pm

The Cleveland Browns still have Baker Mayfield on their roster and are taking things day by day as they look for a trade partner for the displaced quarterback.

Mayfield’s future has been in limbo since the Browns acquired Deshaun Watson via a blockbuster trade in March to be his replacement. Teams around the league have been unwilling to take on Mayfield’s $18.8 million salary for next season and the Browns have stuck by their guns, unwilling to fold for a bad deal. The team has also put it out there that there’s very little chance they would cut Mayfield, eating his salary for nothing in return.

Mayfield has stayed away from OTAs due to his standing with the team and the fact that he’s rehabbing from offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder. But with mandatory minicamp right around the corner, Mayfield’s presence in Berea at the Browns’ facilities will become a more pressing issue. However, head coach Kevin Stefanski said that there’s nothing new to report on Mayfield or his immediate future.

“Again, with all of those type of questions, it is really just take information day by day,” Stefanski said on Wednesday, June 1.

Stefanski on Backup QB Plans: ‘They Have to Be Ready’

Stefanski was asked specifically about how Mayfield could play into the Browns’ backup plans with a suspension looming, but chose to answer more generally.

“We will see how all of it plays out. For us, we just try and take information as it comes. When it comes to backup quarterback it is really, really helpful having a coordinator who has been a backup quarterback in the NFL. He understands the quarterback position of course but really understands backup quarterbacks and how they operate,” Stefanski said of offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt, who played a decade in the NFL with the Steelers, Chiefs and Bills. “We will see how it plays out, but with backups, they have to be ready to play with zero reps. Sometimes you get zero reps, and that is the name of the game.”

At the moment, the Browns are relying on veteran Jacoby Brissett and Joshua Dobbs to fill the gaps if Watson misses time.

When the Browns traded for Watson, they were well aware that he could miss time due to a suspension. A new plaintiff filing a civil case against QB this week has created additional uncertainty about the timing of a decision from the NFL, but the Browns are letting the proceedings play out.

“I think it goes back to the work we did prior to this,” Stefanski said. “We have covered that, but I will just continue to let the proceedings play out.”

Browns star pass-rusher Myles Garrett was also asked about Watson and his character but called it none of his business.

“I don’t know what happened,” Garrett told reporters. “You don’t know what happened. No one in this room really knows what happened, other than the people that were involved. I can’t move one way or another based on hearsay. So I just move with the character and the man I know from day to day. And that’s a good guy from what I’ve seen.”

The situation between Mayfield and the Browns is not pretty, with the QB making it clear that he felt disrespected by what went down this offseason.

“I was told one thing and they completely did another,” Mayfield said on an episode of the “Ya Never Know” podcast in April. “That’s what I’m in the middle of right now.”

The Seahawks and Panthers have been the two teams most prominently linked to Mayfield, although they are in a “holding pattern” for now, per Jeff Howe of The Athletic. For a trade to happen, it all comes down to the numbers, which have been the sticking point in negotiations from the outset.

Mayfield is coming off an inconsistent season where he passed for just 17 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. While his stock is low, Mayfield has shown his upside as a starter, helping the Browns to a playoff berth — and win — in 2021.

https://heavy.com/sports/cleveland-browns/baker-mayfield-trade-silence-deshaun-watson/

T
Legend
Legend
T
to finish this sentence. The Browns starting quarterback?

The Browns starting quarterback will either be Baker Mayfield, (unlikely at this point), or, and you can say this part out loud... Again!!!!
For about the 26th time in the last 20 years, (the math checks in science, see they round stuff and use angles) for about the 26th time in the last 20 years,
The Browns starting Quarterback will be a.. (ta dah!!! Oh I hate it so much it feels pleasant)
The Browns starting Quarterback will be... AGAIN! A First year on the Browns team player, meaning a first year quarterback.
Again! again again again again again, without fail, never learning from the mistakes of all the other times. (Phooey!)

2. The Browns starting quarterback, (Even if Mayfield,) will be. Now catch this one...
Will be without any continuity with any of his wide receivers from years past, (except those named DPJ) and since it's not going to be Baker, we can say a BIG FLAT ZERO continuity and working history with any of his wide receivers.

So, the Owners, and the Analyitics'ists and the GM, we have them to thank,
Again
For not keeping the team together,
any team, any Browns team together, for more likely than about 18 months, at any point, since whenever, it doesn't matter at this point,
the return in 99 was about a QUARTER OF A CENTERY AGO! ( And in none of that time could they keep a team together beyond 18 months about)

So the Browns starting quarterback will be... not a polished product, ... still figuring things out,.... looking to get on the same page,
I Mean!!! We've seen it all so tragically before.
If you expect anything else, I'll be dumbfounded. Go Browns! frown not buying the plan, process, the make believe, it's all squat imo.
Do I trust the team?
The decision makers? NO.
... maybe I'm going at this all wrong just being a naysayer, ... lemme think, emm, ok, umm.
Can the Browns give me/us something, anything, any inkling of a, a, standard, or some sort of, ONE THING that is Unchanging! over time
even a small thing, that we can hang our hats on and say,
You know through all the other bull-make believe-- at least we know the Browns have one thing they Won't change! One Sense, an identity, a Foundation so to speak that, if all else fails, at least they are sticking with this part of a plan, (this)- as their identity

Yet in the current Browns, I don't know what that is.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
To Vers' last article. There are 32 teams in the NFL, and the Vast Majority of them know in a highly likely way who will start game #1 for them at quarterback. The Browns? It's no wonder they so rarely win an opening game.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Looks like Deshawn may have attempted to put this entire mess behind him, which is what I said he should have done from the beginning. Instead, the Browns franchise is being dragged through the mud along with Watson and Browns fans are left with nothing but a big question mark...who is going to start the season at QB..?

A little bit of news from Florio...

Deshaun Watson offered each plaintiff $100,000 last year, but required “aggressive” NDA

Posted by Mike Florio on June 2, 2022, 8:03 PM EDT
link

Buried at the bottom of page 2 of the 23rd lawsuit filed against Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson is nonchalant bombshell.

Here’s the quote, from footnote 2 to the petition filed against Watson by Nia Smith: “Of course, we now know that Deshaun Watson offered each Plaintiff $100,000 to settle their cases, but not all would accept that amount, due to the aggressive nondisclosure agreement that Watson’s team proposed.”

This is an apparent reference to the effort to settle all cases at the behest of the Dolphins, which wanted all cases settled before it would trade for Watson. As PFT reported at the time, 18 of the 22 cases were ready to be settled. Four of the plaintiffs refused.

Based on the language in footnote 2 to the Smith lawsuit, the nondisclosure language derailed the settlement. Attorney Rusty Hardin recently explained in a podcast appearance with Gabe Feldman that the Dolphins wanted the settlements to include the NDA language.

Earlier last year, a settlement of the claims was derailed because attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents all of the plaintiffs, wanted nondisclosure language and Hardin/Watson did not. Hardin told Feldman that Buzbee didn’t want the public to know how little his clients were getting.

By late October, they would have been getting $100,000 each. That’s the exact amount that initially was requested from Watson as an opening position, before the first lawsuit was filed and all legal hell broke loose.

Surely, if Watson could go back to that point and pay the $100,000, he would have. Clearly, he should have.

Had the Browns made it a requirement that Watson dispatch of his problems, none of the crap that is being exposed on a near daily basis might not have been an issue of discussion. But now, with new revelations being disclosed nearly every day, it's stands to influence those who will be handing down the suspension and who knows, Watson very well may have been our starter for the first game had he simply taken care of his business shortly after the trade.

I know I've sure as hell read more about Watson's alleged behavior than ever wanted to know.

Last edited by mac; 06/02/22 10:37 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Legend
Legend
A
Did you call his attorney to verify?

Legend
Legend
This is old news... but I've always found it interesting that it's Watson who didn't want the NDA

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm glad you posted that. As soon as I saw that he offered I almost lost my chit. Read your post and went back to finish reading.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 06/03/22 04:21 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If what is posted has any truth, Watson would be the first person in history that would agree to settlement without an NDA. The NDA not only covers the payment as discussed here but usually has clauses that Watson doesn't admit guilt and the plaintiffs are gagged from talking about the settlement. To think for a moment that a high profile person such as Watson would not want an NDA and allow the women in question to freely talk about the payment, amount, the accusations and fairness of the deal seems highly suspect. Without an NDA, the women could write books, give interviews and slander the deal without reprimand. A settlement is a process to make the situation go away - with no NDA it would never leave.

It is common in settlement agreements for the defendant to insist on the case being confidential. The defendant wants to avoid paying more out in the future to the original claimant as well as others in the future.

Additional Litigation when Confidentiality Not Imposed
However, when a business settles a case, it may often lead to additional litigation. If the public knows that a person received a large award, similarly-situated plaintiffs may try to bring forward similar types of cases, exposing the business to more litigation. For example, if a landlord knows that it did not properly safeguard tenant information or violated federal consumer protection laws, not including a nondisclosure agreement in a settlement agreement can result in other tenants finding that their information was also compromised and taking action against the landlord. When the amount of the settlement is not revealed and confidentiality is imposed, the public would be unable to scrutinize the case. Likewise, if details about what led to litigation are also protected, the public may not have much information about what caused the dispute and may avoid the publicity that it is running from.

Similarly, if the public is aware of settlement agreement details, individuals may use these values to artificially drive up the value of their own cases.

That said, why in the world would Watson want to partake in a settlement without an NDA? What in the world would his lawyer be thinking by allowing Watson to be open game for any therapist he's ever had contact with to want a piece of the pie since they know what has been paid and the story that got them the non NDA deal? Like I said, it may have truth but is a serious head scratcher!

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: mgh888
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Did you call his attorney to verify?

I called Florio... thumbsup

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I won't be surprised if our starting QB is a guy not on our roster today...that's not a prediction.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by AZBrown
I may be in the minority here, but I think if our defense is running on all cylinders early in the season, the O-line has no major health issues, and Chubb/Hunt are doing their job (including being included in the short pass game) - I think Brissett will be sufficient for 5 or 6 games. Our schedule doesn't look all that brutal very early on.

I know there are a lot of "ifs" above, but I don't think it will be as catastrophic as some believe with Brissett in there for a few games.

jmho

az...as a Browns fan, I would hate to see the upcoming season ruined over Watson's issues and therefore, I'm looking at Brissett as a possible savior. I agree, that this team, with a little luck in the injury department, they might be a strong enough supporting cast to win enough games to get to the playoffs with Brissett.

This team might not need a great QB to win.

I agree.

That will be very heavily dependent on the D. I think the O with Brissett can put up 24 points fairly regularly, but if we start to need 30, then it might be tough.

For the O, we might need to reign it in a bit, have a controlled passing game to match the running game and not get in to situations where we are always behind the chains.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
If what is posted has any truth, Watson would be the first person in history that would agree to settlement without an NDA.

Steve...thanks for your post...your input is appreciated.

After reading the information included in Florio's article, I was left with more questions about the NDA than answers. Hopefully we will learn more as information becomes available.

I would rather be focused on Browns football knowing who our starting QB is going to be. But as more information comes out, it's going to be hard for the NFL to overlook Watson's alleged conduct, which could have an impact on the punishment NFL hands out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
I see no way that Baker winds up playing for the Browns. The powers that be cannot afford to have him come in and light it up, as he heals.

They also cannot afford to have him come in a stink up the place. It puts the team in a hole to start the season, and hurts Baker's trade value.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Meanwhile, Baker Mayfield is working hard to prepare for the season.

Baker Mayfield and wife Emily avoid Browns chaos in ‘makeshift Cabo’

By Jenna Lemoncelli
June 2, 2022 10:31am Updated

The Cleveland quarterback, who has been estranged from the team since requesting a trade in March, partied in Austin, Texas, over the weekend, according to photos on social media.

Joined by wife Emily and a bunch of pals, Mayfield’s group appeared to enjoy a boozy getaway that included boat rides and the occasional PDA, as documented in photos. Emily likened the trip to “Makeshift Cabo2.0” on Instagram.

Mayfield has yet to reunite with the Browns after a tumultuous offseason, which saw Cleveland make a shocking trade for his replacement in former Texans quarterback, Deshaun Watson.

In response to the trade for Watson’s services, Mayfield said on the “Ya Neva Know” podcast in April that he felt “disrespected” by the Browns, who selected him first overall in 2018, and how he’s seeking “stabilization” in the future. The organization, however, is reportedly having trouble moving Mayfield due to the $18.8 million guaranteed salary he’s owed this season.

Despite the festering drama, Mayfield is expected to show up for Cleveland’s training camp in late July, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, who said things are “awkward” between the quarterback and Cleveland.

The Browns traded for Watson in March, signing him to a record five-year, $230 million contract, fully guaranteed. The acquisition came after two separate grand juries declined to indict him on criminal charges in relation to the ongoing 22 civil lawsuits against him alleging sexual misconduct.

A 23rd lawsuit was filed against Watson earlier this week by a massage therapist, who also alleged sexual misconduct. Before the additional lawsuit was made public, the NFL said it was nearing the end of its own investigation of Watson to determine if he violated its code of conduct.

Watson has other pretrial depositions scheduled for June but is not expected to go to trial with any of the 22 lawsuits until after February, according to a reported deal between the plaintiffs and defense attorneys.

FILED UNDER BAKER MAYFIELD CLEVELAND BROWNS WAGS 6/2/22

Check the link for pics: https://nypost.com/2022/06/02/baker-mayfield-parties-with-wife-emily-amid-browns-chaos/

All Pro
All Pro
I was with you from the first day.

If I remember correctly my first reaction was - are they all crazy? The owners. Berry. Stefanski. Team Watson.

That’s why I have my doubts about DePodesta and Berry. Being intelligent and making smart decisions is two different things.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The irony in the latest Browns QB drama lays out as follows:

Fans spend time hand-wringing over which QB-desperate team might covet Mayfield...then likely before Mayfield gets moved...Fans hand-wring over which team out there might have a better starting QB-option than Brisset. Only in Cleveland.

V
Legend
Legend
V
A question and I am not being snarky. Do you really think Baker would be welcome here after all the comments he made, especially the one about how some of his teammates didn't care about winning and were concerned w/their retirement fund?

M
Legend
Legend
M
YES.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/06/02/browns-players-explain-crazy-thing-baker-mayfield-odell-beckham

However, Newsome also described Mayfield as “a great teammate, too,” which he called the “crazy thing” about the “off” situation with the two. The cornerback mentioned he would often go out to dinner with Mayfield and the rest of the offense, and the quarterback would treat him well throughout their time together.

Baker made a 6 second comment about not knowing how to motivate older players more interested in making a paycheck when he first joined the league (I am thinking and assuming of some of the high priced vet busts we signed who clearly didn't give any effort like Jamie Collins?) ... this was a 6 second sound bite within a 90minute or 120 minute podcast. And this was the worst thing he said in the entire podcast ... I can't help thinking that based on your pre-disposition to Baker you are blowing that comment up way more than others. He also said he felt disrespected in that podcast. I don't know if there were any other contentious comments - not that I have seen/remember. Kinds of disappointing for some I am sure.

As I said before - I wish Baker would just shut up, get off any media, and work to get healthy and be a better QB. No-one cares about his feelings. But with that said - he's getting trashed and constantly dragged through the mud for writing a goodbye open letter when Browns started their attempt to sign DW, he made a comment about not knowing how to motivate players who were more interested in $$$ than winning (and I bet most teams in the NFL has some of those guys) - and he said he's feeling sorry for himself/disrespected. The character attacks seem disproportionate to the offenses. jmo

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
A question and I am not being snarky. Do you really think Baker would be welcome here after all the comments he made, especially the one about how some of his teammates didn't care about winning and were concerned w/their retirement fund?

Chubb and Newsome spoke highly of the guy...so who knows...my guess is, they know exactly who Baker was talking about. We've cycled through guys playing-for-pensions for years...it's nothing new.

OBJ was/is STILL liked by his teammates even though he was so two-faced about being a teammate...lovable teammate around the guys...but asking to be traded away from his beloved teammates behind their backs. Snake. However, many guys still talk favorably about him as a teammate.

I personally think there was a bigger rift between Baker & Ski than there was between Baker and many/most of the players. No proof...JMO.

These guys have giant egos...it's likely a rare cat that "everyone" enjoys being around (read Chubb, Hubbard). But the players HAVE TO know that Baker is a much better QB than Brissett - even if they don't like Baker the teammate...and the chances of winning with Baker are much greater than with Brissett.

That said...I highly doubt Baker plays another down for the Browns. If Watson gets another year off, I'd be all-about Baker taking the reins for '22...because I am no longer good at scouring other teams rosters for a backup who might be a better starter than OUR backups. I stopped doing that the night the Bud Light beer coolers unlocked. I don't want to get good at it again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for answering.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
I was half joking the other day on a thread when I said what happens if Watson gets a 1 year suspension, then I read that that is a real possibility..... We aren't going anywhere without Watson....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
2nd String
2nd String
jc

I am a glass half empty guy when it comes to Cleveland sports. Maybe it's the constant disappointment the Cleveland teams have been over the past 50 some years. I expect DW to be suspended due to violation of the conduct policy and for them to throw the book at him because frankly Cleveland isn't that important to the rest of the league or the fans outside of Cleveland. The NFL won't lose a dime or any sleep if that occurs.

If Baker is the back up to DW, he should play if he beats out Brissett. I don't buy the narrative that the relationship between Baker and his teammates is so toxic that he cannot ever play there again. There are grown men who have a contract to pay them a lot of money to play a game. If their egos are so sensitive that they cannot do their jobs then maybe they are in the wrong job. I have worked with people I cannot stand personally, but it didn't stop me from doing my job and work with them. It's called being a professional and a grown up. Both sides of that need to suck it up and do what they are being paid to do, win games if he is indeed an option. JMHO

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Imagine this scenario if Watson gets another year paid vacation:

Baker to Saints for Winston...it would make me sick...but as bad as I think Winston is...he's better than Brissett. The Saints are stacked with pass-catchers that Winston won't maximize;

Baker to Miami for Tua...I think Tua is trash, but better than Brissett. Tua won't know what to do with the pass-catchers he has in Miami...Baker has never had pass-catchers like Miami;

Baker to the Giants for Jones...see my thoughts on Winston...except Jones is likely not discernibly better than Brissett;

Carolina & Seattle are no longer in play as they have no QB to send back to us;

Foles recently signed with Indy...Indy doesn't need Baker and if they did...they wouldn't swallow Matty Ice's contract AND Baker's;

Baker to Atlanta for Mariota? He's not as good as Brissett IMO;

Hurts and Fields are awful as NFL QBs...but those teams aren't going anywhere anytime soon and their QBs are on much friendlier contracts...don't know why they'd bother;

Baker to Lions for Goff...each new team eats the new guy's contract...I guess that could work if Goff's contract is expiring after '22. Prove-it opportunity for both guys to re-start.

We are going from QB-sellers to QB-buyers the instant Watson gets another year off...or anything more than (6) games IMO. The FO is ALL-IN with Watson and they think they have the roster to win it all now (I don't think that but I'm just a fan). If Watson gets a year or 10-spot or indefinite suspension, this FO will be in panic mode as another notch on the Super Bowl window closes. On the bright side...Brissett might win just enough games to mess up Houston's 1st and 3rd that they get from us for the 2023 draft. What a cluster.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Floquinho
I was with you from the first day.

If I remember correctly my first reaction was - are they all crazy? The owners. Berry. Stefanski. Team Watson.

That’s why I have my doubts about DePodesta and Berry. Being intelligent and making smart decisions is two different things.

Jimmy Haslam is the man in control and he has a history of ignoring those he hired to make smart decisions, in favor of his own judgement.

Examples...drafting Manziel, hiring Hue Jackson, firing John Dorsey and now Watson and all his baggage.

The owner has gone to great length to portray himself as a hands-off owner...but in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. Jimmy's finger prints are all over some of the most questionable decisions the Browns franchise has made since 2012, when Haslam bought the Browns.

1 member likes this: LexDawg
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Chubb and Newsome spoke highly of the guy...so who knows...my guess is, they know exactly who Baker was talking about. We've cycled through guys playing-for-pensions for years...it's nothing new.

OBJ was/is STILL liked by his teammates even though he was so two-faced about being a teammate...lovable teammate around the guys...but asking to be traded away from his beloved teammates behind their backs. Snake. However, many guys still talk favorably about him as a teammate.

I always take the teammate support with a grain of salt. I'd say only a small fraction of problematic teammates get called out publicly. On the other hand I bet players have different criteria than fans. I am not sure what the actual truth was but I recall there were issues with OBJ telling other teams to come and get him when he played in Cleveland, but his teammates loved him. I think a lot of the time good players publicly overlook issues of other good players.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I was half joking the other day on a thread when I said what happens if Watson gets a 1 year suspension, then I read that that is a real possibility..... We aren't going anywhere without Watson....

I think we will eat a ton of capital to get rid of Baker for a different QB. The FO can't really afford to play Baker during the season, so we most likely will give up a bunch to get somebody better than Brissett.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Ugh.... too much speculation for me.

All I can deal with right now is a little speculation on DW - his leggal woes and the impact for the Browns. I've said from the start I expected a 10 game suspension. With the new revelation that Watson sent the owner of a Spa $5K "just because" - it looks worse. 10-17 game suspension is what I expect. Hope we hear ASAP.

Interestingly - I wonder if the NFL's decision to treat DW - probably harshly - will potentially influence his civil cases ... It's going to look bad even if there is no actual proof. Ugh. 🤢

E
Legend
Legend
E
well until anyone says otherwise DW is our starting QB.

Watched a lot of clips from OTAs. Man the kid has a great release real nice spin. flicks the ball and on the money. I wish there wasn't all this baggage cause the kid is a great QB. The only thing that bothers me is 2020 where he put up incredible numbers the team he was 4-11 with his starts (correct me if I'm wrong) A lot of the stats also were credited to the fact the Texans rarely ran the ball. I hope stefanski doesn't get induced by the air game and gives up the balance football we are made for. I wish we could come to terms with Baker to be a true active member of the team. DW is the man but if he cannot play then Baker steps in - for this last season as a Brown. Both would benefit.

jmho time to think about the team and not egos. We would have to give the olive branch.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
DW is the man but if he cannot play then Baker steps in - for this last season as a Brown. Both would benefit.

jmho time to think about the team and not egos. We would have to give the olive branch.

EO...while it sounds like a reasonable solution to the Browns potential QB dilemma, that Mayfield is a possible option if Watson is suspended for extended amount of time...I don't see it happening.

Mayfield knows he is not in the Browns future plans so there is no incentive for him to risk his health and future for a team that already gave him the boot. Surely Haslam had to consider the possibility that Watson might be suspended longer than just a handful of games and that the season might be in jeopardy if the Browns had to rely on their new backup QB.

Berry and Stefanski continue to fall back on their claim...'we did our homework on Watson'... and now they are left with dealing with circumstances of their decisions.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I would be all for that. I can easily make my points w/out trashing others.

Evidence suggests otherwise.

However, when one reads post after post that are insulting, one loses patience over time w/the board bullies.

I hope you can see you should be included in this group.

Especially those that lie and lie about their lies.

Once again something you are just as guilty of as those you point the finger at.

But, by all means.........push that agenda. I'll support it and have zero problems w/making my points w/out mentioning other posters.

I guess you are just going to start that now?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
The irony in the latest Browns QB drama lays out as follows:

Fans spend time hand-wringing over which QB-desperate team might covet Mayfield...then likely before Mayfield gets moved...Fans hand-wring over which team out there might have a better starting QB-option than Brisset. Only in Cleveland.

How many NFL teams have you known to trade for a player, pay a big salary to or give up future assets for that at the time could not pass a team physical?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I always take the teammate support with a grain of salt. I'd say only a small fraction of problematic teammates get called out publicly. On the other hand I bet players have different criteria than fans. I am not sure what the actual truth was but I recall there were issues with OBJ telling other teams to come and get him when he played in Cleveland, but his teammates loved him. I think a lot of the time good players publicly overlook issues of other good players.

What people trying to push the agenda you speak of refuse to address is a simple one. Often times people can like their coworkers but not where they work. In the case of athletes such as football players it could easily be the system in which they are playing. Your future value is dependent on showcasing your talent. If you feel you are in a situation where your talent isn't being showcased, that's a situation you would no longer wish to be in. If you feel your QB isn't getting the ball to you when you're open, that's a situation you wouldn't want to be in as a WR. These situations are in direct correlation to your future earnings. The other players on your team understand that. They too wish to maximize their future value. To us it's a sport. To them it's their profession. It's business.

Trying to make it a personal situation between teammates is disingenuous at best when you refuse to address the situation in its entirety.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Doug Gottlieb: "Deshaun Watson had zero negatives on his track record. I asked several teams that passed on him in the draft and are kicking themselves over it, they said he had no character issues, perfectly clean record. But that's not the point. The point is that now, whether it is Myles Garrett, or any other player from the Cleveland Browns that is asked about it - you take one side, you can be anti-teammate, you take another side and you're anti-woman, you take a neutral side and either you don't want to sell out a teammate or you don't want to really tell people you're anti-woman. If you say 'no comment,' that means there is something there. This is a clear no-win."

https://foxsports1070.iheart.com/fe...and-teammates-into-impossible-situation/

#selfinflictedwounds

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
j/c

Doug Gottlieb: "Deshaun Watson had zero negatives on his track record. I asked several teams that passed on him in the draft and are kicking themselves over it, they said he had no character issues, perfectly clean record. But that's not the point. The point is that now, whether it is Myles Garrett, or any other player from the Cleveland Browns that is asked about it - you take one side, you can be anti-teammate, you take another side and you're anti-woman, you take a neutral side and either you don't want to sell out a teammate or you don't want to really tell people you're anti-woman. If you say 'no comment,' that means there is something there. This is a clear no-win."

https://foxsports1070.iheart.com/fe...and-teammates-into-impossible-situation/

#selfinflictedwounds

That's more succinct than posts here - but I think it echoes some of the issues we face even if DW was to serve no ban. And each team we play - each city we visit - is going to have it's own reporters that will think they can get a scoop with a new angle.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Browns star pass-rusher Myles Garrett was also asked about Watson and his character but called it none of his business.

“I don’t know what happened,” Garrett told reporters. “You don’t know what happened. No one in this room really knows what happened, other than the people that were involved. I can’t move one way or another based on hearsay. So I just move with the character and the man I know from day to day. And that’s a good guy from what I’ve seen.”

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

willie..Lex...obj knows how to work a locker room and influence the young guys, such as rookies JOK and Newsome. We need to keep in mind that obj knew from the day the 2021 season began that his main goal for the season was getting out of Cleveland, anyway he could. I seriously doubt that the young guys on the team were aware of what obj real plan for the 2021 season and likely did not know that obj had been asking to be traded long before the youngins became members of the team.

Mayfield likely was fully aware of what OBJ was up to, working the locker room, gifting expensive Nike shoes to his teammates...(since OBJ had lucrative endorsement deal with Nike worth something like $29 mill.)

Chubb has a pretty level head on his shoulders and is likely less influenced by stuff compared to the rookies.

It seems that Watson might have picked up on the tactics that worked for OBJ, taking the offense to the Bahamas.

If I were Stefanski and Berry I would not allow this kind of stuff (media interviews) to potentially divide this locker room. They might want to educate the YOUNG GUYS and explain to them that the media might try to bait them into stating opinions that could influence the locker room.

Last edited by mac; 06/03/22 01:13 PM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Cooper Kupp spoke about OBJ today on First Take. The first part of the video is about Kupp's thoughts on Aaron Donald. You can skip to around the 3:20 mark to hear his thoughts on OBJ as a player and a teammate.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
We need to keep in mind that obj knew from the day the 2021 season began that his main goal for the season was getting out of Cleveland, anyway he could. I seriously doubt that the young guys on the team were aware of what obj real plan for the 2021 season and likely did not know that obj had been asking to be traded long before the youngins became members of the team.

There is more than reasonable data and reporting to suggest OBJ was trying to get out of Cleveland since before he arrived. Putting a 2021 time stamp on seems generous.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/03/22 01:24 PM.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Browns starting QB...

Link Copied to Clipboard